Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

browned wrote: »
    moved away from it due to the distance of the outfarms in question. I guess the rosy pic I was painting is of one done on a large milking block where the beet is incorporated into a reseeding programme. ive seen it in action and it can be made easy. its all about an individuals perceptions I guess

with debt repayment id need a base of 29c/l to break even in a season

With debt repayment (dairy) I need 28cpl to break even. Does not include any wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Must say lads great debate here last 2 days.
    keep it up.

27c here lads that doesn't Inc wages

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

browned wrote: »
    ive never calved cows on kale was more describing the system spoken about earlier.
    I calved most of my herd on grass this spring and it was a pleasure. let them in to feed on silage during the day and then out to calve in the fields by night

Calve autumn ones outside . Great job

whelan2 wrote: »
    Calve autumn ones outside . Great job

Almost 100% calved outside. Luxury.

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Interesting comparison over the last day or so, basically in Ireland we get shafted with the price of land (or land rental) , cost of inputs, lack of scale, and cost of money, against the likes of France etc!

If the euro hadn't devalued by so much things might be a little different.

IMHO the price of land, either to rent or buy, is the greatest stumbling block to expansion in Ireland.
    Land is the foundation. It's not about sheds or slurry storage. They can be organised over the phone...but land can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Dawggone wrote: »
    Agree, if you need to get somewhere there is always hardship. Did enough of it myself...

Any chance the conversation could be steered back to costs?
    Can Irish farmers produce the cheapest milk in the world?

:)
    we could be producing the cheepest milk in the upcoming months:-D

If the euro hadn't devalued by so much things might be a little different.

IMHO the price of land, either to rent or buy, is the greatest stumbling block to expansion in Ireland.
    Land is the foundation. It's not about sheds or slurry storage. They can be organised over the phone...but land can't.
    Would it not make more sense to forget about tillage in this country when we cant compete with france, ukraine, us. At least it might free up more land;-)

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Would it not make more sense to forget about tillage in this country when we cant compete with france, ukraine, us. At least it might free up more land;-)

Ireland's tillage farmers are some of the most intensive and productive farmers in the world...

Ireland's tillage farmers are some of the most intensive and productive farmers in the world...
    I know theyre good but is it viable at current prices!

• Advertisement

Yes at current prices.
    However is it viable with dairy pushing up rents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Is dairying viable at current prices?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Having enough storage is only a paper exercise
    Not so for me gg. I got half the tank out in Feb this year and was lucky to do so. In wet areas we might have the cattle in for 6-7 months and the ground conditions mightn't be suitable to get it out. I'd slurry up through the slats here once for 2 days and I never want to see that again.

Yes at current prices.
    However is it viable with dairy pushing up rents?

Mate of mine big enough tillage operator.
    All land owned always had cows. All land going into dairy over next couple of yrs.
    Was talking to him recently and he says he doesn't know how tillage farmers are paying 300/ac when it is just about justifiable in dairying.
    300 ac paid for a 70 ac block 2 miles away drove up by 2 tillage farmers. No dairy farmer involved

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Is that 25 cent average for the year or from now on

It's from now on,couple of variables of course like weather/bad autumn could mean losses are made too, expanding strong here went from 50 to 80 this year and will be up to 95 in 2016 with another 40 heifer calves in the pipeline for 2017 which is all eating cash too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

31 for me with my drawings

I'd his ears must be burning this evening! He has storage rented, so fully compliant. He knows I'm on boards, but no way I'd ask him, especially if he got "made" he'd be ridiculed from pillar to post trying to defend his system. Too many snipers on here!

He'd be some phuckin eejit to come on to Boards. He'd be slaughtered

Agree, if you need to get somewhere there is always hardship. Did enough of it myself...

Any chance the conversation could be steered back to costs?
    Can Irish farmers produce the cheapest milk in the world?

:)

I don't think so. It doesn't matter on the world stage wheather we do or not. Land price is one of the weak links in our chain.

We need to concentrate on grass based milk production with it being supplemented when necessary. If we try to compete on hi input farming we'll be blown off the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Your no lamb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Why ?is he so elite and doing such a great job that no one can question what he is doing ????this is a great source of info but once u start going against the grain or questioning things u get fookin slated or disregarded .bit of an elite club develops at times here

• Advertisement

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Why ?is he so elite and doing such a great job that no one can question what he is doing ????this is a great source of info but once u start going against the grain or questioning things u get fookin slated or disregarded .bit of an elite club develops at times here

You just answered your own question there mj. Too many find to many obstacles to get moving.
    And your slating him for it
    what's so bad about what he's doing?
    You'll never grow as good a grass after a root crop no mater what way your ground was before it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

You just answered your own question there mj. Too many find to many obstacles to get moving.
    And your slating him for it

Come off ur high horse will u ,u said in an earlier post fook the dept co co etc ,storage only paperwork job .i bet you've never been inspected if u were u wouldn't throwcoutvstatements like that great advice for new entrant .never once slatted him for anything ,in fact complimented him .i pointed out some things like not been sustainable long term ,sitting duck putting things at huge risk if inspected etc .are things like this not constructive for a new guy coming in .

Come off ur high horse will u ,u said in an earlier post fook the dept co co etc ,storage only paperwork job .i bet you've never been inspected if u were u wouldn't throwcoutvstatements like that great advice for new entrant .never once slatted him for anything ,in fact complimented him .i pointed out some things like not been sustainable long term ,sitting duck putting things at huge risk if inspected etc .are things like this not constructive for a new guy coming in .

Mj have been inspected and you know well you don't need as much storage for straw as you do all cubicles.
    He said he has been inspected.
    If he's happy doing it what's the prob as point out 70% of land is rented/leased.
    I doubt he'd have grown so quick If he spent all his money in a yard.

In a word, experience!!

I think some of the commentary here for the last few days was very distasteful especially for named individuals not here to defend themselves.

There's more than one way to skin a cat

I'm leaving it at that as I don't want to fall out with anyone

Any word on price this month, friend who moved recently to glanbia heard might be a 1c cut, id say more across the board

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Had the cows grazing some steamy stuff afew nights ago, too light to bother mowing off, more headed out from drought stress. Anyways the milk test this morning was an immediate slap on the wrist, protein nosedived from 3.5 to 3.38. Alongside that 200l drop in volume just after it. Anyone care to guess how much I'm outa pocket on the 4kl which was in that collection ha?

Timmaay wrote: »
    Had the cows grazing some steamy stuff afew nights ago, too light to bother mowing off, more headed out from drought stress. Anyways the milk test this morning was an immediate slap on the wrist, protein nosedived from 3.5 to 3.38. Alongside that 200l drop in volume just after it. Anyone care to guess how much I'm outa pocket on the 4kl which was in that collection ha?
    Similar situation here, didnt mow a few fields here and nosedive. Kicking myself now!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

if putting them in to a stemmy field i put them in for 1 grazing and the next grazing is on a good field, then back to stemmy one,less of a hit on milk/solids , going into last stemmy one tomorrow , pr at 3.48 last collection

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭visatorro

the lowest i could deal wide is 24/25 cent. my off farm income supports me and iv no on farm debt. once the farm ticks over and iv feed for the cows im alright. im not expanding, in fact im getting rid of a few cows, i just dont have to time to commit to manage a highly stocked farm. one hereford and two Fr bulls with the cows so will be carrying less stock goin forward. a lad gave me 1500 euro cash for the last few bull calves there last week, cull cow prices are good aswell, went with two "screws" of old cows got 1000. if you got that every month wouldnt it soften the blow.

my farm isnt the best ran in the country far from it. but i dont just throw money about for the sake of it. and i dont want lads to think oh that fella got a farm for nothing sure what would he know, id give up the farm in a second if i knew the hardship i had to go threw to get to this stage

• Advertisement

My fat improved from 3.80 to 3.97 but yield down, protein similar enough. Cutting 20 acres this week for bales and 30 for pit weather permitting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement