Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Dawggone wrote: »
    +1. Doesn't matter if it's "kiwi" way yanks way or whatever. It's HIS way.
    DSW might get him to Boards so we can get another, fresh, perspective on things. :)
    Guys like that can open one's eyes.

You find a lot of them over on Twitter! Funny enough it's without the drama here on boards where we go in circles for hours ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,110 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

How about this mj
    was told this the other day.
    say a farmer with 80 cows last yr and 100 this yr applies for grant. Straight away he gets slammed with a cross compliance. Even though farmer on paper might not enough storage but got through winter fine.
    Not enough young lads with this lads initiative. Having enough storage is only a paper exercise

Obvious you've never been through x compliance .every tank measured etc .enough storage a very long way from paper work exercise.anyone could be hit anytime with an inspection

Timmaay wrote: »
    You find a lot of them over on Twitter! Funny enough it's without the drama here on boards where we go in circles for hours ha.

Twitter grand ,good banter but more in depth discussions here

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Obvious you've never been through x compliance .every tank measured etc .enough storage a very long way from paper work exercise
    this is the thing that annoys me county councils must vary alot around the country , surely it should be the same rules for everyone? Any way i have my work done to comply with the county council, will have it paid for next year and can then move on to my next plan

whelan2 wrote: »
    :eek: so i and alot of other farmers spent a serious amount of money getting everything right for nothing

Depends on the land type, and rainfall! If we were allowed to spread slurry in nov/Dec when ground conditions are often a lot better than Jan/Feb I know our slurry requirements would be a lot lower. As it stands we are barely over the line in terms of "paper" storage, straw bedding is our saving grace, however we out winter 10 to 20 cows a very sandy well sheltered field which totally takes the pressure of the underground tank, I'll happily continue this as long as I can as they preform equally well if not better there than inside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

as far as im aware he has the slurry storage in terms of tanks rented. is it not his choice if he wants to use them once they are there? as regards his outwintering, was at a farm walk at his last year and we were given a very responsible take on his out wintering practice. cows were grazed beet in the last rotation to get them used to the new diet before being on it fulltime over the winter. for calving the springers were moved onto kale to calve, they move through kale faster and as a result its less muddy. then straight to grass. mortality was 2-3% at most. cows are in super condition after the beet and don't have to acclimatise to turnout like conventional winter housed cows.

as far as I know Kevin heavan offaly started off in a similar situation with a small home farm 28 acres I think and most of his milking ground being rented. hes gone down the route of having all the facilities and id say its working grand for him. horses for courses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

this is the thing that annoys me county councils must vary alot around the country , surely it should be the same rules for everyone? Any way i have my work done to comply with the county council, will have it paid for next year and can then move on to my next plan

More kids ??? :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Obvious you've never been through x compliance .every tank measured etc .enough storage a very long way from paper work exercise.anyone could be hit anytime with an inspection

Been through quite a few of them mj.
    Ye have to get over it.
    If you have the storage you have the storage. Doesn't have to be on the farm. That's what I mean by paper exercise

Timmaay wrote: »
    Depends on the land type, and rainfall! If we were allowed to spread slurry in nov/Dec when ground conditions are often a lot better than Jan/Feb I know our slurry requirements would be a lot lower. As it stands we are barely over the line in terms of "paper" storage, straw bedding is our saving grace, however we out winter 10 to 20 cows a very sandy well sheltered field which totally takes the pressure of the underground tank, I'll happily continue this as long as I can as they preform equally well if not better there than inside.
    i was unfortunate enough to be the first farm in louth inspected, he threw the book at me, he arrived on a monday morning, he did come back and say he was excessive with me, i built a second slurry tower and did all the other things he said, i am also very close to a river so everything has to be 100% all the time

More kids ??? :):)
    no:rolleyes: knock cubicle sheds and rebuild , have some newton rig cubicles there still, they work ok but are on their last legs

• Advertisement

Been through quite a few of them mj.
    Ye have to get over it mj.

Over what if u were through x compliance co co
    Inspections storage is one of big things checked

Had the book thrown at us about 15 yrs ago here when a very wet 1st cut saw silage effluent making it to a nearby stream and caused issues downstream, we had to fairly quickly get a precast tank put in beside the pit to solve that ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Over what if u were through x compliance co co
    Inspections storage is one of big things checked

On straw. You only need fraction of storage you need if all cubicles.
    yes we've got fined. Get on with it and rectify what was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

no:rolleyes: knock cubicle sheds and rebuild , have some newton rig cubicles there still, they work ok but are on their last legs
    Tut boring .. thought there was an announcement coming..
    Blew out the last of ours last year . Cows
    Much more comfortable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

This man said it out right he loves hardship and he loves muck lol. He has a day job and gers up at 4 30 every morning. Just really loves cows. Had a 9% empty rate his first yr and is still giving out to himself over it

My problem with his ultra low cost system is I reckon it would be nigh on impossible to get someone to work it.

The simple,replicable system is, surely, the best. Otherwise expansion is impossible...

My problem with his ultra low cost system is I reckon it would be nigh on impossible to get someone to work it.

The simple,replicable system is, surely, the best. Otherwise expansion is impossible...
    i used to milk in a farm we called Beruit:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

I agree pure hardship. I've done it and don't want to again. It's never longterm but you still don't know when it will end. It's just a matter of getting capital together to take the next step, the steps do however get more frequent and bigger quickly as you well know.

On the issue of neighbours having storage.

I never looked into someone's yard yet and felt bad that I have more storage. People just need to get on with it. Only certain types of neighbours give a damn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Was just going to say the same thing, if god forbid this lad went down with illness/injury say in the middle of calving season and was out of action for a month our two where would you go finding someone to take over, hard enough find any kind of semi-skilled labour at short notice but trying to get a person in a case like above would be impossible

I agree pure hardship. I've done it and don't want to again. It's never longterm but you still don't know when it will end. It's just a matter of getting capital together to take the next step, the steps do however get more frequent and bigger quickly as you well know.

On the issue of neighbours having storage.

I never looked into someone's yard yet and felt bad that I have more storage. People just need to get on with it. Only certain types of neighbours give a damn

Agree, if you need to get somewhere there is always hardship. Did enough of it myself...

Any chance the conversation could be steered back to costs?
    Can Irish farmers produce the cheapest milk in the world?

:)

any idea of the milk price for june?

• Advertisement

sorry dawggone

I've done the whole beet,kale,rape and deferred grazings on outfarms over 20mins drive from home and but for the driving I quite enjoyed it. 10-20mins to move a fence and days work is done. no cleaning cubicles, dusting cubicles, pushing in silage, feeding out silage etc. as for calving on kale, pick them up in a quad, give them a hose down if they need it job done. no cleaning out calving pen, rebidding etc and best of all no slurry spreading for the year. all depends on suitable land and the type of winter

to answer your question on cheapest milk producers id say no, competitive producers but not the cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Agree, if you need to get somewhere there is always hardship. Did enough of it myself...

Any chance the conversation could be steered back to costs?
    Can Irish farmers produce the cheapest milk in the world?

:)

Done up a budget the other day will just breakeven if milk dosent dip below 25 cent little our no drawings taken from that, the sfp will be the main source of income this year, 30 cent is really the break - even price here anything below this the cows become a expensive hobby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

That type of system is only viable when you're young or starting out. And should only be done as a stepping stone to bigger or better things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Done up a budget the other day will just breakeven if milk dosent dip below 25 cent little our no drawings taken from that, the sfp will be the main source of income this year, 30 cent is really the break - even price here anything below this the cows become a expensive hobby

Is that 25 cent average for the year or from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

+1. Doesn't matter if it's "kiwi" way yanks way or whatever. It's HIS way.
    DSW might get him to Boards so we can get another, fresh, perspective on things. :)
    Guys like that can open one's eyes.

I'd his ears must be burning this evening! He has storage rented, so fully compliant. He knows I'm on boards, but no way I'd ask him, especially if he got "made" he'd be ridiculed from pillar to post trying to defend his system. Too many snipers on here!

browned wrote: »
    sorry dawggone

I've done the whole beet,kale,rape and deferred grazings on outfarms over 20mins drive from home and but for the driving I quite enjoyed it. 10-20mins to move a fence and days work is done. no cleaning cubicles, dusting cubicles, pushing in silage, feeding out silage etc. as for calving on kale, pick them up in a quad, give them a hose down if they need it job done. no cleaning out calving pen, rebidding etc and best of all no slurry spreading for the year. all depends on suitable land and the type of winter

to answer your question on cheapest milk producers id say no, competitive producers but not the cheapest

Thoroughly agree. Competitive...
    Fair dues browned if you do operate an ultra low cost system. You paint a rosy picture of how easy it is. :)
    Any idea of production costs...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

browned wrote: »
    sorry dawggone

Way prefere wintering on crop than messing around in sheds myself but its definatly not an option were im farming these days . Just on calving on kale would you not prefere to get them off kale as they are bagging up ?

I'd his ears must be burning this evening! He has storage rented, so fully compliant. He knows I'm on boards, but no way I'd ask him, especially if he got "made" he'd be ridiculed from pillar to post trying to defend his system. Too many snipers on here!

He sounds like he is an articulate type. It would be great to have someone that started from scratch, the hard way!
    Plenty sharpshooters here alright...

Thoroughly agree. Competitive...
    Fair dues browned if you do operate an ultra low cost system. You paint a rosy picture of how easy it is. :)
    Any idea of production costs...?

moved away from it due to the distance of the outfarms in question. I guess the rosy pic I was painting is of one done on a large milking block where the beet is incorporated into a reseeding programme. ive seen it in action and it can be made easy. its all about an individuals perceptions I guess

with debt repayment id need a base of 29c/l to break even in a season

• Advertisement

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Way prefere wintering on crop than messing around in sheds myself but its definatly not an option were im farming these days . Just on calving on kale would you not prefere to get them off kale as they are bagging up ?

ive never calved cows on kale was more describing the system spoken about earlier.
    I calved most of my herd on grass this spring and it was a pleasure. let them in to feed on silage during the day and then out to calve in the fields by night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement