Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mj have been inspected and you know well you don't need as much storage for straw as you do all cubicles.
    He said he has been inspected.
    If he's happy doing it what's the prob as point out 70% of land is rented/leased.
    I doubt he'd have grown so quick If he spent all his money in a yard.

No issue with what he's at ,is it long term sustainable ??,system at big risk from red rape are my points I'll guarantee one thing ,if farming up here and inspected etc a system line that would want an open door for co co and dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

visatorro wrote: »
    the lowest i could deal wide is 24/25 cent. my off farm income supports me and iv no on farm debt. once the farm ticks over and iv feed for the cows im alright. im not expanding, in fact im getting rid of a few cows, i just dont have to time to commit to manage a highly stocked farm. one hereford and two Fr bulls with the cows so will be carrying less stock goin forward. a lad gave me 1500 euro cash for the last few bull calves there last week, cull cow prices are good aswell, went with two "screws" of old cows got 1000. if you got that every month wouldnt it soften the blow.

my farm isnt the best ran in the country far from it. but i dont just throw money about for the sake of it. and i dont want lads to think oh that fella got a farm for nothing sure what would he know, id give up the farm in a second if i knew the hardship i had to go threw to get to this stage
    did you fatten culls or let them straight from parlour? Lad bought 2 real screws off me a few weeks ago for 450 each, bad feet on the 2 of them, i was delighted as they would need a serious amount of feed to become anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

In a word, experience!!

I think some of the commentary here for the last few days was very distasteful especially for named individuals not here to defend themselves.

There's more than one way to skin a cat

I'm leaving it at that as I don't want to fall out with anyone

Frazz you're being a bit unfair there. All systems get questioned here by one party or the other. ( as it should be). Steeles were discussed here and the jaymla brought up the crowd that bough the 250 acres.
    All sides are well able to fire shots here. And to be honest this forum a great place to be able to get down to the nuts and bolts of any system.
    And as you said yourself there are plenty of ways to skin a cat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »
    if putting them in to a stemmy field i put them in for 1 grazing and the next grazing is on a good field, then back to stemmy one,less of a hit on milk/solids , going into last stemmy one tomorrow , pr at 3.48 last collection

yep

pre mowed some stemmy stuff during the week 7 fed by night, & gave them last year's reseeds by day

find all grass is heading out due to drought even on short rotation, the moorepark rule book certainly does'nt apply to this farm :(:(

p@ 3.5
    f '@ 4.1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote: »
    did you fatten culls or let them straight from parlour? Lad bought 2 real screws off me a few weeks ago for 450 each, bad feet on the 2 of them, i was delighted as they would need a serious amount of feed to become anything

straight out of parlour. i was expecting 500 for the two of them, not each. werent in great shape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Any word on price this month, friend who moved recently to glanbia heard might be a 1c cut, id say more across the board

One word Kev ,not good .reckon we'll be back to 27 maby less .weve ran out of steam and don't pocess the cash to support milk price to any great extent .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭stanflt

If this thread displays any thing its the fact that any dairy farmer who sows maize in Ireland needs their head tested.

My maize costs less than 80dmd silage per kg dm fact

Sold 48000 litres more this June than last for pretty much the same value of a milk cheque going in 27.5cpl

Lads without the extra output are going to seriously suffer in the next 2 years

And before anyone says it production cost are roughly the same overall as last year as extra meal fed is directly diluted by total fixed cost- one thing that's never mentioned or factored by teagasc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

stanflt wrote: »

That goes to show how expensive grass silage is.
    Any costings on grass silage Stan?

Dawggone wrote: »

I'll post tonight and show all working for both including land charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

How much longer will glanbia pay the 3 cent top up?

Will base stay at 27.5 for this month?

mf240 wrote: »
    How much longer will glanbia pay the 3 cent top up?

Will base stay at 27.5 for this month?

Rumours are that the fund will be kept for later on in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭visatorro

mahoney_j wrote:
    One word Kev ,NOT GOOD .reckon we'll be back to 27 maby less .weve ran out of steam and don't pocess the cash to support milk price to any great extent .

that not two words?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

So we might be looking at 27.5 soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

So we might be looking at 27.5 soon?

If the base holds at that . Could drop more.

Pity they cant set the price the month before instead of the month after.

It will be the guts of six weeks before i know what im getting for this mornings collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Aye ...when there's less milk to pay it on so less of a benefit to anyone and of course less paid out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

From memory that fund was around 60million euro. Or less than a cent per litre over glanbias expected milk intake for this year. It ain't gonna last long. And at the same time all the co-ops and gii cash reserves are being pissed away. GII's results were in the rag this week and didn't make for pretty reading. The second farmers were back in charge all the discipline engendered by the plc was gone. Profits drop, stock overvalued in wfc written down by 2 million only a couple of months after the deal was done.

Belview still not right 8 months after the first milk went through the plant and almost a year after they started running it on water and no heads rolling. Bergin should have been gone mid May. He's the man with the plan, the money was invested on his watch. 180million and plant not near full capacity. BIL working for large multinational, has had responsibility for a few projects in this sort of ballpark in different countries. His feet wouldn't have touched the ground on his way out the door if anything vaguely like what has been happening in Belview occurred when the projects he was involved in were being commissioned.

Only a board with the sort of politics endemic in the appointment of the gii board would tolerate this sort of messing. I'm saying it for a while but until board appointments in the co-ops are governed mainly by ability with no reference to geography it's akin to giving monkeys the key to the banana plantation. 60million sounds like a lot until you think about how far they're trying to make it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

What happens when you get a bad bad year . !!
    I know the same applies to grass- but shouldn't be as much of a disaster

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Timmaay wrote: »
    Had the cows grazing some steamy stuff afew nights ago, too light to bother mowing off, more headed out from drought stress. Anyways the milk test this morning was an immediate slap on the wrist, protein nosedived from 3.5 to 3.38. Alongside that 200l drop in volume just after it. Anyone care to guess how much I'm outa pocket on the 4kl which was in that collection ha?

Despite everything I said I put ours into a section like that last weekend. Pulled them out after two days and moved them on, pulled them out of the next section after a day. Baled the remainder of both sections on Thursday. Next collection got the volume back not certain about the solids yet. Drought or no drought stuff not good enough to graze should be bypassed regardless of how little there is on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭jaymla627

From memory that fund was around 60million euro. Or less than a cent per litre over glanbias expected milk intake for this year. It ain't gonna last long. And at the same time all the co-ops and gii cash reserves are being pissed away. GII's results were in the rag this week and didn't make for pretty reading. The second farmers were back in charge all the discipline engendered by the plc was gone. Profits drop, stock overvalued in wfc written down by 2 million only a couple of months after the deal was done.

Belview still not right 8 months after the first milk went through the plant and almost a year after they started running it on water and no heads rolling. Bergin should have been gone mid May. He's the man with the plan, the money was invested on his watch. 180million and plant not near full capacity. BIL working for large multinational, has had responsibility for a few projects in this sort of ballpark in different countries. His feet wouldn't have touched the ground on his way out the door if anything vaguely like what has been happening in Belview occurred when the projects he was involved in were being commissioned.

Only a board xcxc the sort of politics endemic in the appointment of the gii board would tolerate this sort of messing. I'm saying it for a while but until board appointments in the co-ops are governed mainly by ability with no reference to geography it's akin to giving monkeys the key to the banana plantation. 60million sounds like a lot until you think about how far they're trying to make it go.

Belview seems to be a disaster alright, is it even the golden goose we are lead to believe, the Chinese are a fickle shower of b****tars and with almost every milk processor worldwide targeting this market competition must be insane are the orders/contracts even in place for the product out of belview when it gets accredited to make baby formula.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Despite everything I said I put ours into a section like that last weekend. Pulled them out after two days and moved them on, pulled them out of the next section after a day. Baled the remainder of both sections on Thursday. Next collection got the volume back not certain about the solids yet. Drought or no drought stuff not good enough to graze should be bypassed regardless of how little there is on it.

about 30 % of my home block could not be baled, pre mowing (or topping even with a 4WD) is not for inexperienced drivers

we all know what should be done , putting it in practice is a very different kettle of fish

Not taking a personal dig @ you freedom , but we all have to play the cards we were dealt

Only a board with the sort of politics endemic in the appointment of the gii board would tolerate this sort of messing. I'm saying it for a while but until board appointments in the co-ops are governed mainly by ability with no reference to geography it's akin to giving monkeys the key to the banana plantation. 60million sounds like a lot until you think about how far they're trying to make it go.

Wow. If what you say is fact, heads will have to roll. Sooner rather than later...

orm0nd wrote: »
    about 30 % of my home block could not be baled, pre mowing (or topping even with a 4WD) is not for inexperienced drivers

we all know what should be done , putting it in practice is a very different kettle of fish

Not taking a personal dig @ you freedom , but we all have to play the cards we were dealt

Your last sentence goes without saying really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Wow. If what you say is fact, heads will have to roll. Sooner rather than later...

At the lower/middle levels staff numbers are way to high in my opinion, the staff levels in the local store in town are crazy relative to the business that's going through it, seems to be lots of duplication of roles/pen pusher roles being made up too, something akin to a state body at the minute, no one's really answerable to anything and just push the blame around

silage system growing 15ton dm per hectare
    3 cuts silage and two grazings

fert for silage 155 acre
    land charge 200
    spray 20
    baling wraping and wrap 170
    tedding 50
    mow 60
    transport and stacking 30

total 685acre

15 bales per acre at 37.5%dm 45.66per bales
    bale weighs 900kg so 337kg dm/bale

5062kg dm per acre at 685

equals 13.5cent per kg dm

maize

land 200
    contractor 240
    seed plastic and spray 250
    fert 155

total 845ac

avg crop 20ton acre at 33%dm

so 6600kg dm per acre

equals 12.8cent per kilo dm

last year i avg 27ton so that left it at 8.5cent per kg dm

• Registered Users Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

orm0nd wrote: »

Similar here, was bringing in cows in jeep yesterday morning thought it was in 4wd and the jeep ran away on me going down the hill in paddock:cool: theres a river at the bottom of the hill

silage system growing 15ton dm per hectare
    3 cuts silage and two grazings

fert for silage 155 acre
    land charge 200
    spray 20
    baling wraping and wrap 170
    tedding 50
    mow 60
    transport and stacking 30

total 685acre

15 bales per acre at 37.5%dm 45.66per bales
    bale weighs 900kg so 337kg dm/bale

5062kg dm per acre at 685

equals 13.5cent per kg dm

maize

land 200
    contractor 240
    seed plastic and spray 250
    fert 155

total 845ac

avg crop 20ton acre at 33%dm

so 6600kg dm per acre

equals 12.8cent per kilo dm

last year i avg 27ton so that left it at 8.5cent per kg dm

Is the bale silage inflating the grass silage cost?
    Pit precision/wagon would be cheaper?

Well done on those maize yields Stan.

So for argument's sake can we price grazed grass at 7cent/kg dm?

Is the bale silage inflating the grass silage cost?
    Pit precision/wagon would be cheaper?

Well done on those maize yields Stan.

So for argument's sake can we price grazed grass at 7cent/kg dm?

Grazed grass closer to 8 c per kg dm

Rent or land charge 200
    Fert 180
    Water and electric 20
    Road mainainence 40
    Spray 30
    One topping or pre mowing or silage cut per year 20

At 15ton grown per ha it's 8.1c per kg dm
    At 12tom grown it's 10.1 c per kg dm

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

100% utilization?

• Advertisement