Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

whelan2 wrote: »
    what % of glanbia suppliers have signed the msa? Spoke with a lad this morning who hasnt signed it, said he cant get liquid milk price and cant move to another cremaery, why cant he move?

Would lakeland be his only option if he where to move, they won't take glanbia suppliers their's a gentleman's agreement between them

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Would lakeland be his only option if he where to move, they won't take glanbia suppliers their's a gentleman's agreement between them
    or strathroy? not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,110 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

or strathroy? not sure

Arrabawn would take him with open arms......if no msa signed can't see any reason he can't go once another coop agrees to take him in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

what % of glanbia suppliers have signed the msa? Spoke with a lad this morning who hasnt signed it, said he cant get liquid milk price and cant move to another cremaery, why cant he move?

>98% signed afaik

He is not telling you the whole story I suspect. It is entirely possible for him to move Strarhroy or Arrabawn, nothing holding him.

Did he say why he hasn't signed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Ok prices for the next two months.

July holding at 32cpl + vat. Plus a bonus of about 2cpl that was already taken in mar/apr/may.

August as above.

September price will be agreed before end of July.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Dad was speaking to one of glanbias development advisors today - new role was originally a milk advisor
    any way says shares not going to be spun out till September sone thing to do with the stock market

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Do recent new glanbia suppliers get the same price as existing suppliers such as gg and frazz or do they have to share up fully? How many shares need to be purchased per 100k litres supplied

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Do recent new glanbia suppliers get the same price as existing suppliers such as gg and frazz or do they have to share up fully? How many shares need to be purchased per 100k litres supplied

Not atm unless they got shares from parents etc. There on base price.

Need minimum 2k shares
    There about 5e a share I think

What is the issue with the Glanbia liquid milk contracts. Also a bit late telling us not to post them when the deadline is today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭stanflt

What is the issue with the Glanbia liquid milk contracts. Also a bit late telling us not to post them when the deadline is today

Who said not to post them- mine went yeaterday

• Advertisement

stanflt wrote: »
    Who said not to post them- mine went yeaterday

Got a text this evening. Posted mine yesterday too. Think from fmp. Just checked says to consult with dairy advisor before signing from fmp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Got a text this evening. Posted mine yesterday too. Think from fmp. Just checked says to consult with dairy advisor before signing from fmp

It was FMP .
    Our local group was on the ball a day earlier. Something about incorrect wording

Dawggone wrote: »
    My feed costs;
    Maize silage €28/ton DM.
    Maize crimp €90/ton
    Soya crimp €240/ton

Edit. Land charge €132/ha. Price is set by the government...
    What kind of yields on maize silage?

Figures from memory 30% dm at €2400 cost of growing per hectare. What's achieve able dm per ha here over 3 yr average?

What kind of yields on maize silage?

Figures from memory 30% dm at €2400 cost of growing per hectare. What's achieve able dm per ha here over 3 yr average?

18 to 22 tons dm/ha under irrigation are normal yields.
    Costing around €500/ha to grow in a normal year. This year it could be a little more due to early start with irrigation.

Costing around €500/ha to grow in a normal year. This year it could be a little more due to early start with irrigation.

Here its 240/ha for seed and plastic before plough, till, fert or chemical

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭alps

Phenomenal output for such low cost. This really puts our arguments on whether grass costs 7c or 14c, into the reals of irrelevance.
    Can maize be produced at these kind of costs in other regions of the world?
    how can we portray the smug attitude of competitive if our staple cow feed costs more than that of other regions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Is this including all costs? Sowing, fert, sprays, harvesting, covering etc, if so we're fooked in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭alps

Is this including all costs? Sowing, fert, sprays, harvesting, covering etc, if so we're fooked in this country.

Or else roll on global warming. .real quick..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

alps wrote: »
    Or else roll on global warming. .real quick..

And everyone go down the indoor tmr/ 3 times a day milking system calving ayr, needing 400 cows and 4 million litres a yr just to break even. Our problem is the price of land and rent is too high, it doesn't matter if you grow grass, maize or whatever on it, but I guess I'd rather my money sunk into land that can be relatively easily offloaded instead of sank into a million or so of concrete work which with depreciate 50/80%? at day 1.

€500/ha growing costs are Dept.of Ag. costings.

My costs.
    Seed €65/ha for hybrids.
    Fert €10/ha for 20kg/ha DAP.
    Chems €33/ha herbicide. (No herbicide this year as scuffled once was sufficient.)
    Muck application €50/ha. 40ton/ha muck charged at contractor rates.
    Plough,till,sow €150/ha contractor rates.
    Ensiling €200/ha.

• Advertisement

€500/ha growing costs are Dept.of Ag. costings.

My costs.
    Seed €65/ha for hybrids.
    Fert €10/ha for 20kg/ha DAP.
    Chems €33/ha herbicide. (No herbicide this year as scuffled once was sufficient.)
    Muck application €50/ha. 40ton/ha muck charged at contractor rates.
    Plough,till,sow €150/ha contractor rates.
    Ensiling €200/ha.

You seed costs per ha are ours per acre :(
    Can you cost water

Can you cost water

Someone's making a few quid importing seed.
    My costings are not very accurate above as all work is in hand bar the silage harvester.
    Will have a very accurate cost on irrigation at the end on this campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Can you cost water

Interesting comparison over the last day or so, basically in Ireland we get shafted with the price of land (or land rental) , cost of inputs, lack of scale, and cost of money, against the likes of France etc!

alps wrote: »
    Phenomenal output for such low cost. This really puts our arguments on whether grass costs 7c or 14c, into the reals of irrelevance.
    Can maize be produced at these kind of costs in other regions of the world?
    how can we portray the smug attitude of competitive if our staple cow feed costs more than that of other regions?

That same hectare of land would also have provided a heavy first cut of grass/clover silage before maize was planted.
    I've been following the costings of grass/pit silage/bale silage with interest on this thread, but the debate petered out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Here its 240/ha for seed and plastic before plough, till, fert or chemical

Buy it in at 950/acre into pit here.

Milked out wrote: »
    Buy it in at 950/acre into pit here.

€1000/ha in the pit here.
    That's at 34/35 dm and 32+%starch.

If you were to mention you were in the market for forage maize, there would be a queue at your door.

That same hectare of land would also have provided a heavy first cut of grass/clover silage before maize was planted.
    I've been following the costings of grass/pit silage/bale silage with interest on this thread, but the debate petered out...

I was going to ask that, did you get a crop off first?

After a lot of huffing and puffing, when figures were put up the main players in the discussion disappeared.

On the rate for borrowed, are you talking the margin you pay or total cost of funds?

Some of the rates quoted earlier were very high IMO. I find the rate the easiest thing to negotiate when dealing with the bank. Guy are trying to repay too quickly I feel so not a real comparison. I'd be interested on your take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

€1000/ha in the pit here.
    That's at 34/35 dm and 32+%starch.

If you were to mention you were in the market for forage maize, there would be a queue at your door.

The lad I buy it off only plants what he has customers for . In fairness it has been consistent enough most years, 30 to 32 dm and 30 starch bar last year which was back a bit on starch. Has good sites and plenty of pig slurry. But like that ye leave it for dead over there.

Milked out wrote: »
    The lad I buy it off only plants what he has customers for . In fairness it has been consistent enough most years, 30 to 32 dm and 30 starch bar last year which was back a bit on starch. Has good sites and plenty of pig slurry. But like that ye leave it for dead over there.

If this thread displays any thing its the fact that any dairy farmer who sows maize in Ireland needs their head tested.

• Advertisement

If this thread displays any thing its the fact that any dairy farmer who sows maize in Ireland needs their head tested.

Was at a walk last summer in a farm going from winter milk to all spring. Good operator etc etc.
    any way his sinopsis was that most in ireland only sow it for a status symbols and it's always sown beside the road.
    Beet is a much more consistent crop and great feeding.

A man speaking at moorepark on Wednesday who started in 2011 said he started grazing it for first time last autumn.
    fats of 6 and proteins of 5.
    that's when bills get paid was his comment.
    This man has no sheds 130 cows out wintered on kale and couldn't get a loan from banks when starting out because he had no 'experience'. Started on 20ha and has grown to 65ha today.
    These ladd are going to knock the socks off every existing farmer in yrs to come

One final point of his.
    'All the machinery i need is 20 Gallagher geared reels about 5000 pig tails and a plate meter and i can do anything'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement