Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saorview Content Speculation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭roverdublin

Interesting article:

RTÉ transmission network may be sold, says Ryan

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0730/1224275808936.html

The private companies (Boxer,OneVision etc..) had both planned to broadcast British terrestrial channels on their services. British channels will not be offered on the RTÉ service announced by Mr Ryan yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Well, the Government have really had it forsale since 1999 roughtly. That's nothing new. I think it would be idiotic and a repeat of eircom fiasco.

The 1st Asset stripping vulture capitalist carpet bagger to buy it would likely load it with debt by borrowing to buy it. (Leveraged buyout). Then sell off all the mast sites.

There would never be much real investment in Network Infrastructure ever again.

Sell off 2FM and RTE 2 TV maybe. Nothing more. Completely separate RTENL and RTE, no connection if you like.

Combine RTENL, eNet backhaul, Heanet, MANs and ESB network (not the power gen) in one state company. Or keep them separate. But don't sell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

From the above article - DTT equipment subsidy for pensioners, being considered but not yet confirmed.

"Mr Ryan said he did not envisage any increase in the licence fee to help RTÉ pay for the new service. The cost of new televisions or adaptors would be borne by customers, but he said he would consider a subsidy for pensioners."

With October looming large it would be nice for to have official equipment for the customers to invest in.

I agree with watty about keeping ownership of infrastructural assets.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

watty wrote: »

Combine RTENL, eNet backhaul, Heanet, MANs and ESB network (not the power gen) in one state company. Or keep them separate. But don't sell them.

You could add Bord Gais Networks too, and then combine the reading for the gas and lecky bill into one visit. All network infrastructure companies and semi-states in one semi-state. Great idea. They could also collect the TV licence, while they are at it.

Well.. if Bord Gais actually had fibre in the empty ducts they are supposed to have fibre in.

Who said anything about visits? We are all going to have FTTC and FTTH broadband in our "smart economy" and have "smart meters". :D Hopefully without "remote" on/off as otherwise hackers will turn off half the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,639 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    From the above article - DTT equipment subsidy for pensioners, being considered but not yet confirmed.

"Mr Ryan said he did not envisage any increase in the licence fee to help RTÉ pay for the new service. The cost of new televisions or adaptors would be borne by customers, but he said he would consider a subsidy for pensioners."

With October looming large it would be nice for to have official equipment for the customers to invest in.

I agree with watty about keeping ownership of infrastructural assets.

Ditto on state infrastructure assets, discussed here recently - director general of RTE resigns and RTE maybe privatised

Regarding subsidised DTT equipment there is a provision in the Broadcasting Act for such a scheme. The October date doesn't apply for two reasons, firstly the Oct date is being discussed as the technical launch (information campaign for retailers/installers/viewers, training for installers/retailers), with the full launch due possibly Q2 2011. Secondly, subsidised equipment will only be required just before analogue switch off (as is the case in the UK and was the case in the US). I would expect to see a subsidy scheme maybe mid 2012, state finances may be a little better and we are due a general election about that time.
    (9) The Minister, for the purpose of ensuring a smooth and
    efficient interchange between the provision of analogue and digital
    television services in the context of analogue switch-off, shall have
    the power by himself or herself, or in conjunction with any other
    person, to—

(d) operate, manage or sponsor, whether in whole or in part,
    measures aimed at alleviating the effects of analogue
    switch-off on classes of communities or persons
    adversely affected.

I agree.
    No subsidy scheme till near end of Analogue. (Mid to late 2012)
    Sat dish install 100% covered only if RTENL says out of DTT coverage.
    Any setbox subsidy only for people already means tested perhaps. (There are well off pensioners and very poor non-pensioners)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I agree.
    Any setbox subsidy only for people already means tested perhaps. (There are well off pensioners and very poor non-pensioners)
    IIRC in Italy the subsidy was about €30 , roughly the price of an entry level set top box

The subsidy should only apply to the box, not to the antenna since only those not on cable/sky already will need a box. It will only affect about 20% of license holders and only cost about a fifth of the license and even that amount should come from the government or whoever will benefit from the sale of the frequencies.

for those who are out of DTT coverage then yes the satellite should be paid for, just like they did in NI for people who couldn't get broadband any other way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Other countries have broadband as a basic right

in an ideal world we could have eircom and UPC copper bundled too, and mandate that all new estates would have fibre to the home or at least a cabiet on the estate. there would be no issues with ownership of ducts and all carriers could use all networks. But it ain't going to happen :(

If anyone want's to know why we should not sell off the transmission networks just has to look at how much Eircom are charging for line rental. Are we still the highest in the world ? Are Eircom still investing less in the network than it is depreciating by ? Excluding those who get their line rental paid by the government are Eircom still shedding customers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

I agree.

I agree about the subsidy in 2012 but cannot see them paying for a sat install and box as there are going to be alot more than the 2% they say will not be able to receive DTT as in the analogue world at present it is more like 15-20% who are presently with Sly mostly for good RTE etc. reception and free UK channels.

However back on topic initial line up of the 4 national channels plus in the next phase probably the UK FTA channels if copyright allows with perhaps a sprinkling of Sky sports /films down the line as the pay per view chapter.
    Also looks like UPC are up against it when Sky comes to DTT eventually.

Just my opinions guyz as a veteren viewer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

John Dough wrote: »
    Also looks like UPC are up against it when Sky comes to DTT eventually.

NO WAY will Sky ever come to Irish DTT!
    Why would they pay carriage costs on DTT for ~90% potential coverage of the country when the current system they use does about 99.9% and will have 100's more channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

gtg60 wrote: »
    NO WAY will Sky ever come to Irish DTT!
    Why would they pay carriage costs on DTT for ~90% potential coverage of the country when the current system they use does about 99.9% and will have 100's more channels.

Some people might/would like the convenience of recieving sky via an indoor ariel rather than having to wait 2-4 weeks for an installer to install your dish (just desnt out a DTT box and card in the post :) ) - plus for the likes of myself where i live in wooded areas and its hard to get a sat signal without building a mast :D - i barely get 19.2e and cant get 28.2e with all the trees around the house

so sky could use it as na extra option to reach others plus its a more convient setup as well in many respects...so some sort of alternative sky DTT service is possible but not probable

All depends on demand and I am sure they will survey the market in regards to this possibility

:D

1/10th or 1/40th the number of Channels, 5% to 10% of Market and over €10M p.a. extra transmission costs? I think not.

Sky might have one or two Pay TV channels on Irish DTT eventually if it had a big market share and there was already a successful top up TV type service.

I can't a TopUp TV / PayDTT service happening in Ireland. The market dynamics is different to UK and Sky Satellite and UPC cable are in almost every house that's prepared to have payTV. If a TopUp/Pay DTT service does happen it would be only 5 channels and after 2014. Any late starting PayDTT has to be HD, so only 1/4 of channel space.

They would only be cannibalising their own satellite Customers as cabled areas will stick with UPC anyway.

Sky will not be interested in Irish DTT. Too Niche.

... for the likes of myself where i live in wooded areas and its hard to get a sat signal without building a mast :D - i barely get 19.2e and cant get 28.2e with all the trees around the house

They must be VERY big trees very close to house
                       v        ---
                      vvv       |
                     Vvvvv      | 
             V     vvvvvvvvv    | Tree Height - Dish Height
             |   V     ||       |
    _(       |   |     ||       ---
     \       |   |     ||       | Dish Height
    _|_______|___|_____||_____  |
    House         Woods

|--------------|
          Tree Distance
    Tree Distance Must be more than 2 x (Tree Height - Dish Height)	  

Dish on 1m pole on chimney
    subtract height of dish from height of tree
    Remaining Height must be 1/2 of distance of tree from dish.
    (assuming 22.5 degree elevation for 28.2E in Ireland. 19.2E is easier, higher elevation)

Maybe you have 20m Beech trees only 10m from House? In which case worry about the foundations.

Maybe it's a bungalow/Cottage?

If the trees blocking at all you get NOTHING on Satellite. Maybe poor alignment.

Note ONE mature beech tree reduces my 12km distant Woodcock hill terrestrial reception on UHF to rubbish. I have my TV aerial only 2m above patio to get clear LOS UNDER the boughs of the row of trees!

My dishes "look" like they are pointing into a row of tall firs an a house behind them. But the elevation is fine. I get 42E to 50W.

They must be VERY big trees very close to house
                       v        ---
                      vvv       |
                     Vvvvv      | 
             V     vvvvvvvvv    | Tree Height - Dish Height
             |   V     ||       |
    _(       |   |     ||       ---
     \       |   |     ||       | Dish Height
    _|_______|___|_____||_____  |
    House         Woods

|--------------|
          Tree Distance
    Tree Distance Must be more than 2 x (Tree Height - Dish Height)      

Dish on 1m pole on chimney
    subtract height of dish from height of tree
    Remaining Height must be 1/2 of distance of tree from dish.

Maybe you have 20m Beech trees only 10m from House? In which case worry about the foundations.

Maybe it's a bungalow/Cottage?

2 story house with 150-200 year old beach trees that are 1.5-1.75 times the height of the two storey house 15-20 metres from the house - 19.2e dish is on the wall at the upstairs bedroom level - portable dish as well

sky came out and said a dish on the chimney wouldnt cut it

am getting 19.2e thru a slight gap in the trees - cant get 28.2e there tho

Roots are Deep lol

must be kind of dark...
    In the autumn look to see where has direct sunlight at about 11 am (at ANY height, anywhere on your site). That place can get Sky.

Soarsat is easier as the elevation is higher. Sun illuminated spot about noon.

I have a pole on a gable end with bolts into attic with aerials that have more wind load than a dish.

I'd say the far end of your house from the trees is perfectly clear and you just need a suitable brackets and pole to "see" over the roof from that spot. Dishes are commonly mounted on an S pole 30cm above gutter looking straight over roof.

If ridge points South East/North West, then you mount on North West Gable pointing down the ridge... etc.

Many of the Sky installers are just guys with drills. A few are actual Technicians. None are Communications Engineers.

must be kind of dark...
    In the autumn look to see where has direct sunlight at about 11 am (at ANY height, anywhere on your site). That place can get Sky.

Soarsat is easier as the elevation is higher. Sun illuminated spot about noon.

I have a pole on a gable end with bolts into attic with aerials that have more wind load than a dish.

I'd say the far end of your house from the trees is perfectly clear and you just need a suitable brackets and pole to "see" over the roof from that spot. Dishes are commonly mounted on an S pole 30cm above gutter looking straight over roof.

If ridge points South East/North West, then you mount on North West Gable pointing down the ridge... etc.

Many of the Sky installers are just guys with drills. A few are actual Technicians. None are Communications Engineers.

aye the sun finds it hard to find its way to th house at times but with this country's weatehr - im not missing much :p:D

ill have to see - ive being testing different spots over the last while but to no avail

cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭lgs 4

rte could go fta 28e but are you willing to 250 euros or more for tv lience because cost of programs like flashforward csi and others would double, it would be not just ireland but uk france spain or anyone with large enough dish that can get 28e on till uk narrow beam sat comes on in 2013 or 2014 when happy days for sky no out side uk will get sky, poland have done it already with polish bean at 19e

no, quadruple or much more. TV licence 1250 Euro or much more.

• Advertisement

lgs 4 wrote: »
    rte could go fta 28e but are you willing to 250 euros or more for tv lience because cost of programs like flashforward csi and others would double, it would be not just ireland but uk france spain or anyone with large enough dish that can get 28e on till uk narrow beam sat comes on in 2013 or 2014 when happy days for sky no out side uk will get sky, poland have done it already with polish bean at 19e
    no, quadruple or much more. TV licence 1250 Euro or much more.

This is what Conor Hayes said at the recent Joint Committee debate
    Mr. Conor Hayes: ...
    Another innovation by RTE is promotion of its satellite option, Saorsat. Some members of the committee will be familiar with the equivalent UK service, Freesat. The BBC, ITV and a number of other companies have put their services on one of the wideband Astra satellites. The services are broadcast unencrypted, or “in the clear” as we call it. The trouble with those wideband satellites is that they have a very big footprint. If RTE were to be put up on a wideband satellite, its services would be in the clear to the UK, France, Holland and many other countries. One might ask why that should not be done, to which I would respond that we do not have the resources to purchase the rights to enable us to broadcast into those countries. We buy programming that allows us to broadcast to 4.5 million people. We do not have the money to broadcast to 100 million people. Therefore, the option taken by the BBC when Freesat was launched is not available to us.

It [Saorsat] will cost us approximately €1.5 million per year. We can manage it. As other channels come on board, part of the cost will be defrayed. In light of the security this option provides and the ability to supply to the 2% of the population who do not currently receive public service television, the cost can be adequately justified. We might have a different take on the situation were the cost €20 million or €25 million, but the actual amount is appropriate and reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Those who cannot put up a Saorsat dish or aren't allowed to living in apartment blocks, renting, students etc outside of coverage of Saorview are going to be totally f*****d aren't they for receving our Irish stations in remote areas in valleys/islands, down by the sea in 2013 unless local television provisions are made for them :mad:

Saorview DTT is about 95% coverage by end of 2012 for a regular aerial. "DX" aerials will give extended coverage.

Almost no apartment blocks need a dish as the 5% not covered are entirely rural.

A dish for Saorsat need not look like a dish

123488.png

MMDS Dish
    Soarsat dish
    Saorview Aerial

The dish is inside a plastic box with LNBF fitted in rear, no arm at all. Cost is likely about the same as a quality grid aerial.

Elevation is 30 degrees toward South South East, instead of Sky's South East and 22.5 degrees. So can mount lower on a wall and still clear neighbour's house or apartments that would block TV signal.

Box is about 46cm x 46cm with tapered 30cm depth. 44cm internal cassegrain dish using secondary reflector on lid.

Soarsat
    100M/5M = x20. Though at 50% discount maybe "only" x 10 costs for content for FTA Satellite on Widebeam. Carriage costs are almost x5 more on 28.2 than Kasat @9E

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭tlaavtech

FREETV wrote: »
    Those who cannot put up a Saorsat dish or aren't allowed to living in apartment blocks, renting, students etc outside of coverage of Saorview are going to be totally f*****d aren't they for receving our Irish stations in remote areas in valleys/islands, down by the sea in 2013 unless local television provisions are made for them :mad:

The number of third level students and apartment blocks that are in deepest rural Ireland are few and far between :D

A landlord renting any house/apartment after that will be unlikely to tell his/her tenants that they cannot have telly - they will just go next door.

Much more likely that in apartment blocks, the landlord will put up the one required dish and amp to supply the whole complex.

Basically, Ireland will be far better coverd than it is today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Considering all the Infrastructure was put in place YEARS ago (for DTT) and already has the online streaming...

And all it needs for DTT is space on the 2nd Mux. Obviously someone doesn't want it on regular TV after all.

See http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/livewebcast/Web-Live.htm

(Site down this morning!)
    http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/http://www.oireachtas.ie
    It's not just you! http://www.oireachtas.ie looks down from here.

Check another site?

[Edit back now @ 12:21pm]
    This Webcasting service commenced on Tuesday 11 October 2005, replacing the experimental service which ran since 1999.

This is an experimental IPTV service. The televisions channels are converted from the SDI video format supplied by the Oireachtas Broadcasting Unit, and and provided as multicast MPEG4 on the Internet at 3 MBit/sec

They implemented it after successful DTT trials by RTE and Runcomm

... In 1998!

So TEN years later they decide not to bother after all? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Not quite correct to say that it is canned. It said it may be canned. They are half way through deliberations. Certainly time-sharing is something they could do. RTÉ News Now at night time could certainly timeshare.

RTE1, RTE2 (reconfigured)
    TV3, 3e
    TG4/Oireachtas TV, Cula4/(Irish Film Channel)
    RTÉ News Now, RTE Junior/RTÉ1+1,/Euronews,/HD lite

My suggestion would be to let TG4 have a dedicated children's channel to enable Oireachtas TV to have some daytime coverage and then at night also.

The other option is to Let Cula4 and Oireachtas TV timeshare and let TG4 and Irish Film Channel timeshare. Because leaving TG4 as is and letting Oireachtas TV and Irish Film Channel timeshare mightn't just work.

I don't see why the wait til 2012. Definitely they should timeshare for now. Repeat can be provided for by RTE News Now at night. To my mind the Irish Film Channel can be catered for with TG4 as a part time operation and let Oireachtas TV and Cula4 timeshare. 7pm is good enough for anyone who wants to watch it in the evening home from work. Daytime can be catered for via internet.

No need to bin the idea.

That said Euronews should timeshare with RTÉ News Now by right and put the Irish Film Channel in the mix after RTÉ Junior. TG4 is entitled to have 2 channels like TV3, one dedicated to Childrens programming and the other can timeshare with Oireachtas TV. Otherwise leave TG4 as is and give Oireachtas TV a channel to themselves but defo not Irish Film Channel to themselves. To my mind parliamentary scrutiny is more important than films though others would disagree of course on entertainment grounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Unless the suggestion is for a short term timeshare to get it up in some form at launch in, I wouldn't be in favour of it being timeshare with other channels. Once the two muxes are up and running there should be plenty of content with the 2 houses, plus european parliament and committee's for a full time channel a la BBC Parliament.

I can't help feeling that it's more to do with uncontrolled coverage by the Government who are happy with the nicely spun and editted soft focus stuff they get from the state broadcaster.

scath wrote: »
    Not quite correct to say that it is canned. It said it may be canned. They are half way through deliberations. Certainly time-sharing is something they could do. RTÉ News Now at night time could certainly timeshare.

RTE1, RTE2 (reconfigured)
    TV3, 3e
    TG4/Oireachtas TV, Cula4/(Irish Film Channel)
    RTÉ News Now, RTE Junior/RTÉ1+1,/Euronews,/HD lite

My suggestion would be to let TG4 have a dedicated children's channel to enable Oireachtas TV to have some daytime coverage and then at night also.

The other option is to Let Cula4 and Oireachtas TV timeshare and let TG4 and Irish Film Channel timeshare. Because leaving TG4 as is and letting Oireachtas TV and Irish Film Channel timeshare mightn't just work.

I don't see why the wait til 2012. Definitely they should timeshare for now. Repeat can be provided for by RTE News Now at night. To my mind the Irish Film Channel can be catered for with TG4 as a part time operation and let Oireachtas TV and Cula4 timeshare. 7pm is good enough for anyone who wants to watch it in the evening home from work. Daytime can be catered for via internet.

No need to bin the idea.

That said Euronews should timeshare with RTÉ News Now by right and put the Irish Film Channel in the mix after RTÉ Junior. TG4 is entitled to have 2 channels like TV3, one dedicated to Childrens programming and the other can timeshare with Oireachtas TV. Otherwise leave TG4 as is and give Oireachtas TV a channel to themselves but defo not Irish Film Channel to themselves. To my mind parliamentary scrutiny is more important than films though others would disagree of course on entertainment grounds
    Films are definitely more important, Politicians have been the ruination of this country, particularily the ones in cahoots with the top executive bankers so to be honest I think that a lot of people don't have any time for them, it may be entertaining to listen to their arguments and lack of solutions to the mess that they started in the first place. They are rambling, mumbling, unqualified i****s in my opinion. The take up of any Oireachtas channel as regards viewing figures would be very low indeed. Never believe a word of what most of the elected ones utter from their mouths, they are amost all in it for their own ends. Children need to be catered for and that is more important, we have little or no say of what goes on in the Oireachtas anyway as regards policy making so what would be the point in wasting valuable air time for Questions But No Answers, Frontline/ PUBLIC IN THE BACKLINE, THE WEEK IN POLITICS(POLI-THICKS) programs when hardly anyone watches Oireachtas Report anyway particularily when it is all depressing, bad news for the general public. :D

Philip Boucher Hayes just gave details of items on the programme this evening including a discussion on DTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Films are definitely more important, Politicians have been the ruination of this country, particularily the ones in cahoots with the top executive bankers so to be honest I think that a lot of people don't have any time for them, it may be entertaining to listen to their arguments and lack of solutions to the mess that they started in the first place. They are rambling, mumbling, unqualified i****s in my opinion. The take up of any Oireachtas channel as regards viewing figures would be very low indeed. Never believe a word of what most of the elected ones utter from their mouths, they are amost all in it for their own ends. Children need to be catered for and that is more important, we have little or no say of what goes on in the Oireachtas anyway as regards policy making so what would be the point in wasting valuable air time for Questions But No Answers, Frontline/ PUBLIC IN THE BACKLINE, THE WEEK IN POLITICS(POLI-THICKS) programs when hardly anyone watches Oireachtas Report anyway particularily when it is all depressing, bad news for the general public. :D

Disagree with this (yes they are &#@!bags but thats not the point), the doings of the national parliament should be covered live by the "state" broadcaster. Not wall to wall but certainly the main debates, committees and questions to the full ministers should be shown.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

The Cush wrote: »
    Philip Boucher Hayes just gave details of items on the programme this evening including a discussion on DTT.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.html?0,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-r1-drivetime.smil

its on after 25 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is Adrian Weckler the only "technology" jorno in Ireland?

First Weckler says you'll have buy a box and then in the next sentence he talks about the move to built-in DTT tellys in major retailers.

Pretty useless - DTT for idiots in 5 mins (which no doubt was the brief for AW). Don't bother listening.

ftakeith wrote: »

Adrian Weckler the so called DTT expert that Philip wants back on the show to answer future DTT related questions insisted that analogue switchoff is happening in Dec 2011 (as per the EU recommendation) but of course as we all know here it's planned for the end of 2012 and is well known within RTÉ.

Why do RTÉ programmes keep foisting these so called DTT experts on us when they have all the expertise on their own campus, people that have been working on the development of DTT in this country for at least 13 years.

Hopefully the DTT information campaign will use RTÉ's own in-house experts and not people like Adrian.

Adrian Weckler the so called DTT expert that Philip wants back on the show to answer future DTT related questions insisted that analogue switchoff is happening in Dec 2011 (as per the EU recommendation) but of course as we all know here it's planned for the end of 2012 and is well known within RTÉ.

Why do RTÉ programmes keep foisting these so called DTT experts on us when they have all the expertise on their own campus, people that have been working on the development of DTT in this country for at least 13 years.

Hopefully the DTT information campaign will use RTÉ's own in-house experts and not people like Adrian.
    Exactly, spot on The Cush, the public need people from RTE and RTENL with the experience and knowledge who know what they are talking about. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

Exactly, spot on The Cush, the public need people from RTE and RTENL with the experience and knowledge who know what they are talking about. :)

just emailed off, to the Director-elect of DSO, Minister, RTE NL about that. I think they are doing great work but its just been clouded abit due to lack of a project manager. Hopefully Mary Curtis will quickly get on top of this as she begins her new role in September. Likewise the www.digitaltelevision.ie website should do the same and not be well out of date just in order to wait for finalised plans. That just give a lazy impression which doesn't do all concerned justice who are doing great work on the project behind the scenes. Interim updates stating more to follow at appropriate time would be fine.

He's just a Journalist. I don't think he is a Technologist or Expert on DTT.

End of 2012 may even mean Starting to turn off at Midnight 31st Dec 2012!

There isn't a chance switchover will happen during the Christmas/New Year holiday period. Even the Spanish I believe moved a switchover date to avoid a public holiday period.

The Broadcasting Act requires DTT coverage to match analogue coverage by end Q3 2012 and RTÉ recently indicated that it's network will achieve 98% coverage at this time.

I would expect switchover to happen sometime between Oct and Christmas 2012.

The Dept of Communications has just launched a tender for a report on ASO
    The final report will
    (i) inform the Department in how best to develop and deploy supportive policy interventions/options in the move from analogue terrestrial television (ATT) to digital terrestrial television (DTT)
    (ii) inform the analogue switchover policy
    (iii) deepen market information in relation to DTT services

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

He's just a Journalist. I don't think he is a Technologist or Expert on DTT.

No mention was made that anyone buying a new TV should make certain that it receives DTT, and to note that it must have MPEG4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Which leads nicely into isnt it time we put up a simple sticky about the basic fundamentals of DTT.

We could entitle it DTT - an idiots guide for lazy journalists ?

There isn't a chance switchover will happen during the Christmas/New Year holiday period. Even the Spanish I believe moved a switchover date to avoid a public holiday period.

The Broadcasting Act requires DTT coverage to match analogue coverage by end Q3 2012 and RTÉ recently indicated that it's network will achieve 98% coverage at this time.

I would expect switchover to happen sometime between Oct and Christmas 2012.

I said Starting :) to turn off Analogue. The Dept is fond of 31sts and end of years.
    See http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2010-02-02.2075.0

It might start Oct 2012, I agree. I'll be surprised though if there is not some Analogue in 2013.

The 98% might be a real 95% with only 51 sites, but I won't quibble. The problem is that while main transmitters could in theory be turned off even in early 2011 to early 2012, most of the small relays (what RTE call Transposers and are "professional Deflectors" :) ) are fed by rebroadcast from the main TX sites. Of course if Saorsat is running by mid 2011, then any analogue site can be run off 3 to 4 FTA boxes on Kasat much cheaper and safer than using Sky boxes. So then you can turn off the main TX.

A lot depends on:
    • How good any info campaign is.
    • TVs and Setboxes in shops with Saorview sticker at good price.
    • One free box for anyone on Medical Card (i..e Means tested need).
    • No snags in rollout of 51 DTT sites
    • Successful timely launch and Commission of Kasat to feed some sites, backup feed all sites and DTH Saorsat for 2% to 8% that can't get DTT Soarview.
    • Free dish and cable install for ANYONE outside official DTT reception.

We are not legally obliged to have all analogue off by 2012. The aim is to have the Digital Dividend of selling off upper end of TV spectrum across all of EU in 2013. As long as Comreg can flog it off here too on same basis with assurance nothing will interfere with UK in 2013 and the purchaser can roll out in 2013 with phased introduction during 2013 & 2014 everyone will be happy :)

DTT is not primarily about having more free (or Pay) channels via the aerial. It's about the "Digital Dividend". That is Government making money flogging Spectrum and Mobile or other Wireless Voice/Data operators making money selling stuff to public.

• Advertisement

The 98% might be a real 95% with only 51 sites, but I won't quibble.

In the tender document for a survey of households (put up by Dept of Comms) they are assessing the distrubution of TVs in households. They are looking for an accuracy of +/- 3 %. So they will not be able to tell the difference between 95% and 98% anyway.

I said Starting :) to turn off Analogue. The Dept is fond of 31sts and end of years.
    See http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2010-02-02.2075.0

It might start Oct 2012, I agree. I'll be surprised though if there is not some Analogue in 2013.

We are not legally obliged to have all analogue off by 2012.

I agree with you on end of month dates but I can't see switchoff starting or completing during the Christmas/New Year holiday period, too many people on holidays and staff not available to man helplines to deal with viewers problems. Even the UK halts transmitter switchovers during Dec and Jan (incl. Feb into Mar next year).

If switchover does slip into 2013 it could be as a result of promises made by the new government (election due mid 2012, if the present one lasts that long), a delayed switchover due to the economic situation. Romania has just announced that they will delay switchover until 2015 due to the current economic situation.

Leo Varadkar the new Fine Gael spokesperson on Communication since June is beginning to get his head around his area of responsibility as we can see in the article from today's Irish Times with his comments on digital switchover. Analogue switchoff and the economics of it for the man in the street will no doubt be a primary focus for Leo and Labour's Liz McManus for the next two years or so.
    Fine Gael communications spokesman Leo Varadkar said the switchover would not only affect analogue households but would also affect households with a second television which is not linked to cable or satellite.

Mr Varadkar also called for a public awareness campaign in responding to a survey published by ComReg earlier this week, which revealed that just four in 10 people were aware of the analogue switch-off,

Even though we are not legally obliged to switchoff analogue in 2012 we do have that infamous MoU with the UK so it will have to be taken into consideration if there is to be any delay. Back in 2008 the BCI didn't rule out a delay between 2012 and 2015.

How much is the paper the MoU is on worth?

I think we have the same hymn books but you are more optimistic. :-)

How much is the paper the MoU is on worth?

I think we have the same hymn books but you are more optimistic. :-)

The MoU is about coordinating switchover between the two jurisdictions, we know NI will switchover mid to late 2012 so there will be an obligation on us per the MoU to do likewise and we know meetings between the two countries are underway.

I would think that setting an absolute date of Oct 2012 for ASO would concentrate minds and get the thing done. What is the problem? Transmitters are up and running, UK Freeview HD boxes work, no commercial channels so no encryption. If a telly breaks down, it is fixed or replaced within a week, so tell everyone it is going off next week, and we will all be fixed up by the following week. [I exagerate, but you see what I mean.]

I would think that setting an absolute date of Oct 2012 for ASO would concentrate minds and get the thing done. What is the problem? Transmitters are up and running,

The problem is money or the lack of it in your pocket if you are on low income and having to purchase 1,2 or more converter boxes for TVs, recorder(s) etc. Those households that require a Ka dish and receiver will face additional costs.

Hopefully by the end of 2012 there will be sufficient low cost receivers on the market to allow low income households switchover.

The problem is money or the lack of it in your pocket if you are on low income and having to purchase 1,2 or more converter boxes for TVs, recorder(s) etc. Those households that require a Ka dish and receiver will face additional costs.

Hopefully by the end of 2012 there will be sufficient low cost receivers on the market to allow low income households switchover.

That maybe, but at the end of the day, RTE will save about €8m/year as a result of ASO, and the quicker it happens the better. Currently there is dual illumination which is unnecessary to prolong any longer than is possible. Now €8m will buy 160,000 STB @ €50 each, which is half the number of homes needing them. (20% of 1.5m). So two years savings will pay for a STB for each home without $ky and NTL. Put the messages up on RTE1 and RTE2 before each advertising break on the terestial version starting now. It will not be long before everyone who needs a STB will know about it.

Unfortunately, this falls down because there are no STBs in the shops for people to buy. I'll have to rub it out and start again - to quote Fagan from Oliver.

Who planned all this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Unfortunately, this falls down because there are no STBs in the shops for people to buy.

That is what I was wondering as well!
    Do we know if any STBs have been approved yet?

P.S. Excellent tread, thanks to all for the knowledge that has been contributed.

There may be. But we don't know as none are listed by RTENL or Teracom or anyplace else we know.

• Advertisement

There may be. But we don't know as none are listed by RTENL or Teracom or anyplace else we know.
    Nothing changes in this country does it? Last minute as usual for everything, it reminds me of cramming a years college material in one week for exams. :D I presume that they will have some stbs in the shop before the Oct 31st partial launch?

Advertisement