Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not if the more revenue is less than the more payment, which it will be for outlying relays. The cost of a relay has got nothing to do with how many people receive it. Woodcock hill used to be a relay, it's similar power to some relays but covers maybe 150,000 to 200,000.

A similar cost to run and provision relay in Donegal, Mayo, West Cork or Kerry might have only 1K viewers.

Could someone point me exactly to public domain information as to what TV3 has or hasn't been paid for transmission by them and also to an independent assessment of transmission costs for them.
    Bearing in mind that their chief competitor controls their outlet.

I keep reading people refering here to the dispute but want to see if it's hearsay or are there actually any particulars.
    Have to say, I'd be very interested to hear particulars too. We could argue forever about the merits of the quailty of their programming, but some facts on their apparent refusal to pay carriage fees would be enlightening.
    Bumping this.
    Anyone have any idea officially if theres a problem with payment from TV3 or is it just a common but unproven or unfounded allegation?

I was told it by someone in RTENL. That could be hear-say.

Why else are they not on all the relays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As the DTT thread is closed I stick this in here, the BAI said in their May 18th statement that there would be a meeting on May 31st. Did they have it and does anyone know what the conclusion was?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

mike65 wrote: »
    As the DTT thread is closed I stick this in here, the BAI said in their May 18th statement that there would be a meeting on May 31st. Did they have it and does anyone know what the conclusion was?

Good question. All we know is Minister called in Comreg, BAI, RTÉ to chart course for Saorview. As regards the BAI we have to hear whether they are abandoning Commercial DTT until the economic situation improves or are re-tendering once they have sought an analysis of the market based around a consultation. We have to hear yet and the BAI tend to keep quiet until its already mooted in the press.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

mike65 wrote: »
    scath wrote: »
    Good question. All we know is Minister called in Comreg, BAI, RTÉ to chart course for Saorview. As regards the BAI we have to hear whether they are abandoning Commercial DTT until the economic situation improves or are re-tendering once they have sought an analysis of the market based around a consultation. We have to hear yet and the BAI tend to keep quiet until its already mooted in the press.

The monthly meeting would've taken place but nothing from the BAI. In the Dáil about that time the Minister in reply to questions indicated that the stakeholders (the Dept, RTÉ, BAI, Comreg) are working in tandem on both Saorview (as scath said)
    We had a series of meetings today and last week with RTE, the BAI and ComReg and we have set out a project management course, in terms of getting set top box regulations in place and clarity around which standards should be in place and what channels we will put on our public service.

As soon as that [commercial DTT process] came to an end I brought in RTE, the BAI and ComReg. I set up a working group for us to get the technical standards and other arrangements in place in order that we will have digital terrestrial television in the autumn and we will meet, with absolute certainty, our switch-off schedule which is the end of 2012. We have until then to get the Irish public ready for the switch over.

and the future of the commercial process
    I regret that the BAI process did not result in a commercial DTT operator as it would have delivered additional consumer choice. As a result of the outcome of the BAI’s commercial DTT process, I am in detailed discussions with the BAI, ComReg and RTE to consider the broadcasting, telecommunications and spectrum policy issues that arise.

Yip, sounds like they're in discussions, the stakeholders. I guess ultimately the Dept has to decide then could the spare capacity be used for other uses that the BAI muxes would take up. My own view is that the 3 muxes should be reserved and that rather than license DVB-H that that DVB-T or DVB-T2 should cover both DTT and MTT (mobile terrestrial television) and digital Radio. That way we get the most out of DTT. RTÉ and a commercial partner could then charge mobile operators for accessing their system for the free-to-air and the subscription end. I would imagine someone like Eircom would and other mobile operators would be interested in such a scenario but especially Eircom for Meteor. You could have a wholesale network operator model as envisaged for DVB-H city wide licenses. That to me sounds like the way forward. Sky I'm sure would be interested. MTT would make commercial DTT more compelling a business case than purely DTT.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Maybe we can keep this thread to content speculation and discuss the technical side elsewhere. I'll set up a dedicated thread if that's what people want and make it a sticky. The technicalities are largely settled, in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

icdg wrote: »
    Maybe we can keep this thread to content speculation and discuss the technical side elsewhere. I'll set up a dedicated thread if that's what people want and make it a sticky. The technicalities are largely settled, in any case.
    The two existing stickies should suffice MPEG4 tests - Not a Public Service & MPEG4 Irish DTT: BCI & Launch issues until there is some new development.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

watty wrote: »
    Saorview's success is 100% assured, because it will be the ONLY way to get TG4, TV3, RTE1 and RTE2 without a subscription in 3 or 4 years time.
    Was talking to a Finnish guy who reckons they lost a lot of TV license holders during the digital changeover there because of license fee and the availability of TV on broadband so a lot of people didn't bother buying set top boxes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence#Finland
    The television fee in Finland is between €224.30 and €232.20 (depending on the interval of payments) per annum for a household with TV.
    The switch to digital only transmission of TV in Finland has seen a decline in the number of households with a TV licence. The reason for this is not clear. It may be that people are recouping the mandatory cost of purchasing a digital receiver (€50-€100 for basic models) against the cost of the licence by way of protest, and others may genuinely have given up watching TV altogether.

It's not as easy to replace your TV license with broadband as it is to replace your land line rental with a mobile phone but some people are doing it.

Then again most people can't watch all the popular channels here directly on broadband and the license fee isn't as high.

edit http://www.tv-maksu.fi/en/index/tietoa/televisiomaksujenhinnat.html - Finnish licence fee from €19.95 a month to €231.05 a year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

stupid question - should it not be feachsaor ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BreathnaighSaor rather than Féachsaor Cap'n as in look at rather than glance in the direction of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭John mac

how is Saorview pronounced?

is it
    say or view?

I'm told it's Sear as Searing meat in a pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I thought it was like Sair...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think it's seer view, as in a pun on see-er. I assume it was intended.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It's pretty much 'sair' as charles says. i.e as the Irish word Saor meaning free is pronounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

pity the uk and ireland didnt do a joint DTT service with all thier channels on in both regions - dreaming of course but will there be any english channels on the irish version?

I think I answered this in another thread. Feach is to look as in glance not to view as in watch an analyse. Saoramharc is the proper translation of Freeview. Saorfeach is Freelook.

Saor would be pronounced Sayr or Sair not Seer.

pity the uk and ireland didnt do a joint DTT service with all thier channels on in both regions - dreaming of course but will there be any english channels on the irish version?

TV3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I think it's seer view, as in a pun on see-er. I assume it was intended.
    Thats pretty much what it sounds like indeed . Probably depends on what part of the country your in too, Sure theres a big difference between kerry irish and donegal irish :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

watty wrote: »
    TV3

They are owned ny granada as well arent they? so itv would be the only ones with an overlap with tv3? still tis a shame - i think we wont get anywhere near as much as what the uk viewers are getting channel wise

scath wrote: »
    I think I answered this in another thread. Feach is to look as in glance not to view as in watch an analyse. Saoramharc is the proper translation of Freeview. Saorfeach is Freelook.

Saor would be pronounced Sayr or Sair not Seer.
    LOL for a second it looked like radharc , how may times did I change channel when that was on :P

http://www.radharcfilms.com/

LOL for a second it looked like radharc ,
    Radharc is viewing from a distance, eg of a vista. It is overly etymologically expansive to describe the typical distance between the couch and the telly.

The similar sounding Amharc is another way of saying féach and implies no attention span, not suitable either in case someone punts it in here :D

They are owned ny granada as well arent they? so itv would be the only ones with an overlap with tv3? still tis a shame - i think we wont get anywhere near as much as what the uk viewers are getting channel wise
    RTE2 was more or less setup to show imports and still does.

TG4 has showed a lot of good HBO stuff, they were The Wire before the main UK channels

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Back on topic please!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Pangea wrote: »
    Thats pretty much what it sounds like indeed . Probably depends on what part of the country your in too, Sure theres a big difference between kerry irish and donegal irish :P

To me it sounds like Serve-U, when you have to actually say it loud to someone who doesn't know anything about it.
    Terrible choice..dependent on both a knowledge of Irish, AND the UKs DTT service fr it to make any sense.
    e
    Unless it's a pun on RTE being a public service broadcaster, of course :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

According to the indo, parts of the west coast won't get DTT.
    See the following link:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/west-the-loser-as-rte-cuts-digital-tv-coverage-2237363.html

I started a thread on this but I'm not sure it'll be picked up on.

Parts of the west coast did not get analogue either so where exactly have you been for the last 50 years since the analogue rollout started ??????

• Advertisement

ITV plc (Granada, Carlton merger) sold TV3 over 2 years ago. Doughty Hanson, a European Venture capalist own it, on behalf of a private investor. So not quite right though your point has some validity even so.

Advertisement