Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Infoanon wrote: »
    As it stands this has disaster written all over it - I would expect changes and further announcements

Why?
    What Changes?

The Government has tried for 10 years to get a PayDTT "Partner". Pay DTT (i.e. Loads of Channels) isn't viable here. Never really will be. They have to change from Analogue to Digital. It doesn't have to have added value or more viewers. Just a Nationwide Universal Service of the Irish TV, which actually we don't have on TG4 and less have on TV3. Even RTE1 & RTE2 Analogue coverage is poorer than late 1970s early 1980s ITV & BBC in UK.

If there is a a demand for the HD Content, DAB Radio and Children's TV then UPC can buy that for Cable.

If Sky want to add Saorview extra content quickly and cheaply they can do what they did in Italy far cheaper than paying for extra carriage on Satellite (assuming there is space), They can give everyone with Sky box that has a Sky HD box a USB DTT stick. Soarview 100% content on Sky boxes for once off €20 cost to Sky.
    Sky Italia to launch Digital Key for DTT
    DTH operator Sky Italia has announced that it will launch a novel Digital Key in December. The USB key when connected to a Sky HD or a My Sky HD satellite box will enable viewers to watch Digital Terrestrial channels on the DTT platform.
    Sky Italia say that the key will remove the current need for multiple decoders that are/will be necessary when the analogue terrestrial transmissions change to digital by 2012. The Digital Key will integrate the programming of the DTT channels in Sky’s EPG, allowing viewers to zap across the entire digital TV offer without changing the remote.
    Source: advanced-television.com
    Items added: 26th October 2009
    From http://www.dvb.org/about_dvb/dvb_worldwide/italy/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Don't follow that logic at all - how will DTT increase viewing numbers as it only replaces whats already there , and those relying on DTT are hardly going to be impressed with 'HD'.

As it stands this has disaster written all over it - I would expect changes and further announcements
    Even if they launch Saorview in it's infancy on October 31 2010 with RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4, 3e if we are lucky then that in itself will not be sufficient enough to draw in a large audience.There simply aren't enough channels and content available recession or not to draw in multiple thousands of viewers. It is a joke compared to other countries in the EU and their digital terrestrial services which are free to watch, lower population or not. We should have had this service ten to twelve years ago with the same channel line up. People will still stick with analogue in a lot of rural areas of the country UNTIL ANALOGUE SWITCHOFF as they will not bother or see the need to go to the added expense of spending up to
    50 to 100 Euros on an STB be it a basic one for basically the same channels already available by analogue but just with a clearer, brighter picture and improved sound. In my opinion a Saorview+ twin tuner box will be necessary at the minimum and I can't see them being lower than 80 to 100 Euros each when first launched. Infact I maybe too conservative with those figures, probably more like 120-130. :D HD broadcasts from October 31 and a second mux with some extra stations will be the only chance Saorview will have of drawing a wider audience throughout the nation whether they have the budget or not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

watty wrote: »
    Why?
    What Changes?

The Government has tried for 10 years to get a PayDTT "Partner". Pay DTT (i.e. Loads of Channels) isn't viable here. Never really will be. They have to change from Analogue to Digital. It doesn't have to have added value or more viewers. Just a Nationwide Universal Service of the Irish TV, which actually we don't have on TG4 and less have on TV3. Even RTE1 & RTE2 Analogue coverage is poorer than late 1970s early 1980s ITV & BBC in UK.

The problem is that if there is no added value - which there would seem to be little or none - then the Government will have the very hard task of selling DTT to the public. And it has to be sold, unless the Government plan on giving every house STBs for free.

We know that ASO is coming, we know that there is **possibly** a Digital Dividend (though I'm sceptical as to how much demand there will be for the frequencies released in the current climate). But the general public need to know what's in it for them.

In the UK there was a 10 year+ transition to DTT that's not yet complete (and they started in 1998). The carrot was "get 40 extra channels", the stick was ASO. Here we don't seem to have a carrot. We only have a stick.

So the Government is going to be going out, saying "Buy these boxes or we're taking your TV off you". The general public are going to ask "Why, what's the point". They won't understand the notions of digital dividends etc. All they will see is the government forcing them to shell out money to get merely what they already have and not much else. In an election year. And remember, the people DTT is aimed at is the die hard pay-TV refusniks, who have refused to shell out any money for extra channels heretofore.

There has to be a carrot. Whether it is a monetary incentive to convert (grants? free STBs? TV licence rebates?) or extra channels is up to the powers that be. 3e isn't a carrot, I'm afraid. Otherwise there is going to be major anger and resistance to the idea of analogue switchoff. Saying "Europe's making us" isn't going to cut it and indeed runs the major risk of turning a significant element of Ireland's population against the EU (not to mention the Government) if people start associating the EU with "taking away our TV".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

FREETV wrote: »
    Even if they launch Saorview in it's infancyon October 31 2010 with RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4, 3e if we are lucky then that in itself will not be sufficient enough to draw in a large audience.There simply aren't enough channels and content available recession or not to draw in multiple thousands of viewers.
    For the umpteenth time, this is not a commercial service. It is not about drawing viewers in, or boosting viewership of RTÉ through terrestrial means, it's purely about completely replacing the transmission network. Nothing more. At best, it opens up the path for more channels, EPG's, interactive applications, but in it's basic form, it's purely a replacement transmission platform. Ultimately, it will be a success in that if you wish to continue to view RTÉ through an aerial without subscription, DTT SaorView or SaorSat will be the only way.

icdg wrote: »
    There has to be a carrot. Whether it is a monetary incentive to convert (grants? free STBs? TV licence rebates?) or extra channels is up to the powers that be. 3e isn't a carrot, I'm afraid.

The only carrot left is Subsidy for Setbox (DTT and Sat) and also Free install for Soarsat for those in areas with no DTT. The Government will have to do it. Plenty of of other countries did.

Yes. you get part time HD, all the DAB stations, real Widescreen, 1.5 more channels (Though they say 9 ch it's really 5.5 channels initially). But none of that is much of a carrot.

It's not Multichannel TV. That was always really a myth. I never believed (and there are posts going back 7 years) Multichannel DTT in any sense to compete with Sky, UPC or MMDS even was possible. With BBC, ITV, C4 and Five and much else FTA on satellite that was the final death knell for the "Multichannel" idea. Also in 1998 HD was not envisaged. That seriously reduces the number of channels.

There is demand for the 700 .. 800Mhz spectrum. Not at 3G licence prices though.

The plan for Saorsat is the final piece to make the short time scale viable. Still it should be 90+ DTT sites, not the 51 proposed . Even with 140+ DTT sites you need Saorsat too and before advent of Kasat that looked horribly expensive and dubious in terms of remaining space on 28.2. I looked at Intelsat 907 (Irish + UK beam) as alternative for Satellite for NBS and the idea of selling space to RTE also for DTT backup/rollout. But there wasn't enough space on that either.

If the Government wants to meet the time scales they will have to do set-box subsidies and about 10,000 free Dish installs (Still that is less than €2M so cheaper than the extra 43 to 100+ DTT TX sites)

• Advertisement

Kensington wrote: »
    For the umpteenth time, this is not a commercial service. It is not about drawing viewers in, or boosting viewership of RTÉ through terrestrial means, it's purely about completely replacing the transmission network. Nothing more. At best, it opens up the path for more channels, EPG's, interactive applications, but in it's basic form, it's purely a replacement transmission platform. Ultimately, it will be a success in that if you wish to continue to view RTÉ through an aerial without subscription, DTT SaorView or SaorSat will be the only way.
    We all understand that Kensington and I agree with you but they aren't giving the TV License payers good value for their money by just replacing the analogue platform after all these many years of tests and shenanigans while wasting the taxpayers money and launch with just a handful of channels, what a farce! They being RTE are losing viewers on a daily basis due to Freesat or FTA satellite and Ulster, Welsh Freeview and as a result are losing out on advertisement revenue. Analogue switchoff isn't due until the end of 2012 is still a long way down the road so quite a lot of old age pensioners in rural areas of the country for instance may not see the attraction of buying a new expensive Saorview compliant IDTV or STB for just five channels, forget about a rolling 24 hour news channel with repeats, that isn't a proper channel at all. It will be a success in 2013 when people will have no choice but to go digital then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭emaherx

Even if they launch Saorview in it's infancy on October 31 2010 with RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4, 3e if we are lucky then that in itself will not be sufficient enough to draw in a large audience.There simply aren't enough channels and content available recession or not to draw in multiple thousands of viewers. It is a joke compared to other countries in the EU and their digital terrestrial services which are free to watch, lower population or not. We should have had this service ten to twelve years ago with the same channel line up. People will still stick with analogue in a lot of rural areas of the country UNTIL ANALOGUE SWITCHOFF as they will not bother or see the need to go to the added expense of spending up to
    50 to 100 Euros on an STB be it a basic one for basically the same channels already available by analogue but just with a clearer brighter picture and improved sound. In my opinion a Saorview+ twin tuner box will be necessary at the minimum and I can't see them being lower than 80 to 100 Euros each when first launched. Infact I maybe too conservative with those figures, probably more like 120-130. :D HD broadcasts from October 31 and a second mux with some extra stations will be the only chance Saorview will have of drawing a wider audience throughout the nation whether they have the budget or not.

Dosen't really matter to RTE if people do not rush to switch to DTT in October or any other time this year. They do need to get it up and running as soon as possible just so there is still a FTA Terestrial Service after the analouge service is shut down.
    Extra channels/ content are irrelavent, people need to switch to a Digital Service or else stop watching TV.
    Why would a twin tunner box be the minimum required. Surely a cheaper single tuner box will be more than enough for a lot of people who just need to continue receiving a TV signal.

Even if the analouge service is shutdown closer to 2015 than 2012. We still need the replacement service now, with time to run the public awerness campiegn. Extra content/muxes can be added in time.

With Freeview/Freesat combined with Saorview/Saorsat there is plenty of content. It would be pointless to fill our DTT muxes with content from UK TV thats freely available through Freesat and also pointless to try and throw some new channels together just for the sake of it (even though sound like they will do just that).

In my opinioun all that Saorview/Saorsat needs to do is deliver the existing channels in crystal clear digital quality, 3e will be a welcome addition. HD would be nice but won't be too exciting until another mux is added. Radio service is a complete waste of bandwidth.

No-one to pay for UK content that's free on satellite to have it on Irish DTT. Cost of Mux rollout, electricity to run it. Royalties is the least of the costs.

No-one to pay for UK content that's free on satellite to have it on Irish DTT. Cost of Mux rollout, electricity to run it. Royalties is the least of the costs.
    I agree with you totally Watty as it may increase the TV License fee and we are already paying more than enough for so little! Small island or not though we still need more national stations to be added over time to Saorview. There was too much money wasted on Mount Leinster Transmissions on so many different channel frequencies.

Analogue switchoff isn't due until the end of 2012 is still a long way down the road so quite a lot of old age pensioners in rural areas of the country for instance may not see the attraction of buying a new expensive Saorview compliant IDTV or STB for just five channels, forget about a rolling 24 hour news channel with repeats, that isn't a proper channel at all. It will be a success in 2013 when people will have no choice but to go digital then.

End of 2012 is not a long way down the road and these people are exactly why they need to launch this year with the few channels that they have. Do you suggest that we wait till the end of 2012 then turn off analouge and switch on digital at the same time (still with only 5.5 channels).

People need to see this service operating and know when the deadline is to switch over.

As for RTE News now, do we know if this is the format that the station will keep? Its only in testing phase, so not an official station may change format before launch.

Extra channels may appear before analouge switch off.
    This service dose not need to sell well at launch, but dose need to launch.
    "Carrots" can be added after launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Strange how that's never brought up as an argument against RTE news now ,what we thought about would RTE1+1 but is now Euronews ,The Den, RTE+1 and especially 3e ( whose parent company won't even pay for full Analogue coverage )

So drop 3e and give us BBC4 for example

SPDUB wrote: »
    Strange how that's never brought up as an argument against RTE news now ,what we thought about would RTE1+1 but is now Euronews ,The Den, RTE+1 and especially 3e ( whose parent company won't even pay for full Analogue coverage )

So drop 3e and give us BBC4 for example

we don't need bbc4, already available through freesat. Also alot more of the country will receive freeview after NI turns up power

I think some people would only be happy if RTE, TG4 and TV3 closed and the UK simply rolled out Freeview here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

I agree it will be turned off BUT I would not be so certain that it will happen in 2012 - this is Ireland after all and political needs will come first

The cost of running both analogue and digital service at the same time is huge. RTE have a budget to consider which is funded by TV license payments, wasting money running both service for longer than required is plan crazy and it won't happen.

emaherx wrote: »
    we don't need bbc4, already available through freesat. Also alot more of the country will receive freeview after NI turns up power

Pick your station then I did use "for example" and oh way to avoid the question I was actually asking which is why the cost of electricity and running it is not brought up
    I think some people would only be happy if RTE, TG4 and TV3 closed and the UK simply rolled out Freeview here.

No , I'm perfectly happy to get RTE's,TG4 and even TV3 but stop using running cost of a mux etc as an excuse against any UK channel because they equally apply to a crappy Irish channel like 3e and the joke of a news channel News RTE

You still haven't answered the question and I also noticed you haven't used it as an argument against the partial transmission of another foreign service , Euronews .

A joint Saorview and Freeview roll out down the line would be nice though Watty. I'll laugh at my thoughts on that now although it would be ideal oneday if we had MPEG4 T2 and the six muxes filled with free content :D

SPDUB wrote: »
    Pick your station then I did use "for example" and oh way to avoid the question I was actually asking which is why the cost of electricity and running it is not brought up

No , I'm perfectly happy to get RTE's,TG4 and even TV3 but stop using running cost of a mux etc as an excuse against any UK channel because they equally apply to a crappy Irish channel like 3e and the joke of a news channel News RTE

You still haven't answered the question and I also noticed you haven't used it as an argument against the partial transmission of another foreign service , Euronews .

I was meerly answering with your example, the same applys for any channel widely available on freesat. What we need are new channels the Irish Film channel for example.

RTE news now, at least is a new channel, it also has not officially launched so I think it is too early to call it a joke of a channel ( format may well change). Also giving its current bit rate I'd doubt that it is taking up much bandwidth. And as watty pointed out to load up Saorview with UK TV would involve turning on another mux which is where the cost of electricity comes into it.

3e like it or not is an Irish channel, and is as good or better than some of the crap that fills up mux space on UK Freeview.

and as for Euro news its not going to ba a channel on Saorview.
    RTE have used Euro News as a gap filler for years. (don't think it costs much.)

A joint Saorview and Freeview roll out down the line would be nice though Watty. I'll laugh at my thoughts on that now although it would be ideal oneday if we had MPEG4 T2 and the six muxes :D

It would have been nice but, was never going to happen. but will be interesting to see how far freeview pentrates from the north after Divis is turned up to full power, I can already receive signal (when the weather suits) with a loft Aerial in Navan.

FreeSat will also most likely gain the HD varients of channels that it is missing after a new satellite is launched to join the current Astra 28e birds.

Since RTE began people in this country have gone out of their way with two diffrent setups, one for RTE and one for BBC. Growing up we always had the "BBC Aerial" (UHF) and the RTE Aerial (VHF). Now I have a UHF Aerial and a Sat Dish, its not really that different.

Not everyone is going to rush out and get DTT in october, but over the next 2 years combo boxes and possibly FreesatHD\FreeviewHD combos will look quite attractive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I was meerly answering with your example, the same applys for any channel widely available on freesat. What we need are new channels the Irish Film channel for example.

RTE news now, at least is a new channel, it also has not officially launched so I think it is too early to call it a joke of a channel ( format may well change). Also giving its current bit rate I'd doubt that it is taking up much bandwidth. And as watty pointed out to load up Saorview with UK TV would involve turning on another mux which is where the cost of electricity comes into it.

I can't see RTÉ News Now's format changing without RTÉ suddenly coming into a large amount of cash that it doesn't currently have. There is no content on it that is not available on RTÉ One or RTÉ Two and depending on what time of day you watch it, it could be RTÉ News A Couple of Hours Ago or even RTÉ News Yesterday.
    3e like it or not is an Irish channel, and is as good or better than some of the crap that fills up mux space on UK Freeview.

Only in the sense that it is scheduled and played out here. It's owned by a British private equity company. Its profits are going out of the country. On today's schedule, there is not one Irish made programme. On a typical weekday the only Irish made programmes are repeats of TV3 shows and the news programme FYI. I'd imagine there are very few, if any people employed solely on 3e now (how many of the Channel 6 staff that transfered over are still with the company, I wonder?).

It would have been nice but, was never going to happen. but will be interesting to see how far freeview pentrates from the north after Divis is turned up to full power, I can already receive signal (when the weather suits) with a loft Aerial in Navan.

FreeSat will also most likely gain the HD varients of channels that it is missing after a new satellite is launched to join the current Astra 28e birds.

Since RTE began people in this country have gone out of their way with two diffrent setups, one for RTE and one for BBC. Growing up we always had the "BBC Aerial" (UHF) and the RTE Aerial (VHF). Now I have a UHF Aerial and a Sat Dish, its not really that different.

Not everyone is going to rush out and get DTT in october, but over the next 2 years combo boxes and possibly FreesatHD\FreeviewHD combos will look quite attractive.
    It will hopefully reach as far as Sandymount, Sandyford or further in Dublin as the new mast will also be slightly higher and the power will increase by a heck of a lot. Divis reception will sail in to your loft in Navan at a high signal strenght and in my Dad's house in Trim too. :) Can anyone here on Boards predict how far Divis will be constantly received at the furthest location in South County Dublin for instance?

• Advertisement

RTE news now, at least is a new channel, it also has not officially launched so I think it is too early to call it a joke of a channel ( format may well change). Also giving its current bit rate I'd doubt that it is taking up much bandwidth.

So RTE have the cash to make it much more than it already is .That be news to a lot of people .
    emaherx wrote:
    And as watty pointed out to load up Saorview with UK TV would involve turning on another mux which is where the cost of electricity comes into it.

Which is actually why I was talking about dropping channels like 3e so another mux is not turned on at this moment in time
    emaherx wrote:
    3e like it or not is an Irish channel,

It's an irish channel in name only .The only Irish programmes it shows are repeats off TV3
    emaherx wrote:
    and is as good or better than some of the crap that fills up mux space on UK Freeview.

Which is why I choose a more educational channel for my example , BBC4 , than the likes of Virgin1
    emaherx wrote:
    and as for Euro news its not going to ba a channel on Saorview.
    RTE have used Euro News as a gap filler for years. (don't think it costs much.)

Whether you want to call it a gap filler or a channel it's still scheduled to be on Saorview and will still have running costs for transmission like electricity

A nation's TV network isn't an A la Carté selection from the Nieghbour's network. :)
    Unless TV3 pays for the carriage of it, TV3e won't be there.

2012 we supposed to get the 2nd mux for Oireachtas TV and then be able to have more HD on RTE1, RTE2 etc.

Children's (daytime), RTE1+1 (evening) and Euronews (late night) is one channel, even so during RTE2 HD sport it will likely be off.

A nation's TV network isn't an A la Carté selection from the Nieghbour's network. :)

2012 we supposed to get the 2nd mux for Oireachtas TV and then be able to have more HD on RTE1, RTE2 etc.

Children's (daytime), RTE1+1 (evening) and Euronews (late night) is one channel, even so during RTE2 HD sport it will likely be off.
    Oireachtas TV is a laugh, how many people here on Boards I wonder have listenend to the rows between the opposition and the present Government and the mumbling, stammering, stuttering, repeating, nonsensical, uneducated verbal diarrhea that comes out of these so called Government Officials? They never answer any questions clearly or honestly and keep talking in riddles and going round in circles. That channel will just show us up as a nation. What will the non National think of our bumbling buffoons in Government? Oh no, the Government in power has never made any mistakes. It just never admits them outright. :D Oireachta TV will be watched by about two to three percent at most of the population. I often watched my Dad fall asleep during Oireachtas Report. What a waste of bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I imagine RTE News will in fact end up as RTE News & current affairs repeats with Dail Doings.

Oireachtas TV is a laugh,
    Oireachta TV will be watched by about two to three percent at most of the population. I often watched my Dad fall asleep during Oireachtas Report. What a waste of bandwidth.

I can watch French, UK, Greek parliamentary business. It's reasonable that it should be carried. Maybe it will encourage some of them to "grow up".

Or do you think our political institutions as well as our TV should be replaced by someone else?

And the excuse of running costs of a mux shouldn't be used against some channel(s) when the "local" channel will have the exact same running cost for a mux
    watty wrote:

Any particular reason you mention since even in my last post I made reference to that
    spdub wrote:
    ...Whether you want to call it a gap filler or a channel

I can watch French, UK, Greek parliamentary business. It's reasonable that it should be carried. Maybe it will encourage some of them to "grow up".

Or do you think our political institutions as well as our TV should be replaced by someone else?
    These Politicians need to be held more accountable for their actions. We need to wise up as a nation to who we elect. The present Government will be replaced in the next election. It should be shared with another channel say a community channel or with RTE News Now. It isn't worth a full channel, I'm sorry to say that the majority of people have no interest in politics and bumbling bureaucrats who make a mess and have made a mess of the country and won't watch it but I agree that it should be there for people to have a choice of whether they want to watch it or not. It seems like a take what you get, like it or lump it, you're lucky to even get that, line up for Saorview and the people of Ireland. How about a national poll for Saorview lineup?:D Maybe there could be a red or green button vote for every policy to be voted on by the general public before it becomes legislation during live Oireachtas TV so that the people would have more of a choice and control in deciding the important issues in the running of the country?

Or do you think.......... as well as our TV should be replaced by someone else?

And do you think as long as it's Irish , even if it's Irish in name only , it should be given a privileged position because that's what you seem to be suggesting.

It seems we need a new thread. The soarview content speculation is over.

RTE word doc on Content http://www.techtir.ie/sites/default/files/JOCC20100714.doc
    International DVB report http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/07/15/rte-details-new-dtt-proposals/
    Irish Media http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rte-to-use-satellite-for-digital-rollout-in-remote-locations-2259154.html

All the RTE FM/DAB radio
    All the existing Analogue TV with RTE1+1 and RTE2 in HD part time (Sport)
    RTE news now
    RTE1+1, Childrens and Euronews sharing a channel
    TV3e
    The new two-multiplex system will cover 98% of the population with satellite being used as a gap fill to the remaining 2%. RTE is already available via Sky Digital to viewers in the Republic. In a hearing of the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Communications, RTE executive Conor Hayes said the €1.5 million annual cost of the satellite scheme would enable the whole country to receive national television services for the first time.

To date RTE has spent €40 million on the DTT project, building a 51 site network. The public broadcaster is currently negotiating a loan of between €30 and €35 million to make up the shortfall.

The first multiplex, broadcasting in MPEG-4/DVB-T, would carry RTÉ 1, RTÉ 2, TV3 and sister channel 3e, TG4, and RTÉ News. A seventh channel would timeslice RTÉ Children, Euronews and RTÉ+1. The second multiplex would include high definition versions of the principal broadcast channels, a parliamentary channel (Oireachtas) and a film channel, however the latter two still require funding.
    Via http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/07/15/rte-details-new-dtt-proposals/

I suggest a new thread for complaints, whining, whinging and also arguing we should have UK Freeview instead etc.

It's a done deal. The above is what we are getting and Analogue TV will likely be off sooner than later.

I suggest people write their TD pointing out the subsidies other countries gave and how people with no DTT signal should get free dish install and all poor vulnerable people a free setbox and some subsidy for everyone.

Assuming they have a TV licence.

• Advertisement

It seems we need a new thread. The soarview content speculation is over.

RTE word doc on Content http://www.techtir.ie/sites/default/files/JOCC20100714.doc
    International DVB report http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/07/15/rte-details-new-dtt-proposals/
    Irish Media http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rte-to-use-satellite-for-digital-rollout-in-remote-locations-2259154.html

All the RTE FM/DAB radio
    All the existing Analogue TV with RTE1+1 and RTE2 in HD part time (Sport)
    RTE news now
    RTE1+1, Childrens and Euronews sharing a channel
    TV3e

Via http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/07/15/rte-details-new-dtt-proposals/

I suggest a new thread for complaints, whining, whinging and also arguing we should have UK Freeview instead etc.

It's a done deal. The above is what we are getting and Analogue TV will likely be off sooner than later.

I suggest people write their TD pointing out the subsidies other countries gave and how people with no DTT signal should get free dish install and all poor vulnerable people a free setbox and some subsidy for everyone.

Assuming they have a TV licence.
    I see that the current set top box is priced at 100 Euro. I for one wouldn't pay that for a box unless it had two tuners and a pvr at the very least. For 100 it should also have a built in harddrive. They are only 20E I presume for the basic box in Italy. Rip off Republic of Ireland all over again. When will the HD services on the second mux be launched I wonder? 1440*1080i broadcasts I presume. I can see a lot of people going to Newry, Armagh or Belfast to buy either new IDTVS or Freeview+ HD boxes if the price isn't lowered and do some bulkbuying for groceries, toiletries, clothes, shoes etc while they are at it because of the cost of petrol and diesel at the moment. A lot of people on Boards predicted a similar if not the exact same channel line up too for Saorview, at least we have proper clarification now.

Advertisement