Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

OK so we all know it's 20th July for bars (without the mandatory €9 food).

But I have heard some rumors that it might be brought forward to 6th July due to the way the numbers have gone and in an attempt to speed up job retention etc etc.....That would be sweeeet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Redo91 wrote: »
    Saw NPHET mention that nightclubs wouldn’t open until the 10th July at the earliest. Would have thought pubs would open before nightclubs.

Have already said it on another thread but think the distinction between pubs serving food and those serving drink once table service is daft. In any event I don’t see pubs being strict on implanting the €9 meal. Can see them maybe allowing groups to just spend that between them.

Wonder is there any possibility that the 20th July will be brought forward?

I do as pubs want to claw back as much money as possible and the threat of lynching someone out for not forking out for €9 will make ppl buy the food, the pub benefits in both ways. For me it’s the whole 90mins or 105mins whatever it is, does each table get a clock on it and will “The Locals” be given priority and extended to stay? That side I can see being an absolute nightmare for pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1277002527679156225

Texas Governor admits he re-opened bars too soon

"Shure it'll be grand"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The Nal wrote: »
    So you can go pay a game of football next week, full contact and sweat on other people but you can't sit beside someone in a pub. Makes sense.

One indoors. One outdoors. And the length of time you are in relatively close contact with someone indoors doesn't compare to playing a football match outdoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1277002527679156225

Texas Governor admits he re-opened bars too soon

"Shure it'll be grand"

Tbh, I think most people here have a bit more cop on about the whole thing. You are relying on public compliance to the measures in place to not see spikes.

The USA is currently very fractured for a multitude of reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Tbh, I think most people here have a bit more cop on about the whole thing. You are relying on public compliance to the measures in place to not see spikes.

The USA is currently very fractured for a multitude of reasons.

Let's not forget in the USA, some states, texas included opened up when they still hadn't got a handle on the first surge, the clown in the white house wanted everyone to open up back in April.

Its like comparing apples and organges here. We have cases at a very low level when we look to reopen restaurants and bars, the states had nowhere near any sort of handle on it when they went full speed reopening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Tbh, I think most people here have a bit more cop on about the whole thing.

Did you just mention the phrase "a bit more cop on" when it comes to the Irish and drinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Did you just mention the phrase "a bit more cop on" when it comes to the Irish and drinking?

No I think the poster meant cop on regarding social distancing etc. A lot of the state's where there's been a resurgence there seems to be mass ignorance l. Hence their surges.

The day has finally come!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Just because you are allowed to do something doesn't mean you have to. I'm going to wait and see how this pans out before I venture out for a pint. I agree that they need to open up, but I'm worried about customer behaviour.

• Advertisement

Just because you are allowed to do something doesn't mean you have to. I'm going to wait and see how this pans out before I venture out for a pint. I agree that they need to open up, but I'm worried about customer behaviour.

Yes agreed, but the fact is today is the day we can finally (if we choose to), go to the pub!

That is what the purpose of this thread was ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

delighted to have the choice again,but i'll wait a few days till everyone gets used to it again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Huge queue here outside my local.... ��

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

One indoors. One outdoors. And the length of time you are in relatively close contact with someone indoors doesn't compare to playing a football match outdoors.

Full contact and swapping fluids (sweat) playing football.

I've reserved a table for 1 on Friday night at my local. Delighted to finally get back to my Friday evening solitary 2 pints while listening to my current affairs podcasts and watsapping my siblings who live abroad.
    Had to pay €5 to reserve the table and obviously will have to order food. But sure after 4 months I don't mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Love to peek in the doors of the local to see what the craic is or has anyone been inside the pubs yet got any info?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

seamusk84 wrote: »
    I've reserved a table for 1 on Friday night at my local. Delighted to finally get back to my Friday evening solitary 2 pints while listening to my current affairs podcasts and watsapping my siblings who live abroad.
    Had to pay €5 to reserve the table and obviously will have to order food. But sure after 4 months I don't mind!

You really are a social animal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

seamusk84 wrote:
    I've reserved a table for 1 on Friday night at my local. Delighted to finally get back to my Friday evening solitary 2 pints while listening to my current affairs podcasts and watsapping my siblings who live abroad. Had to pay €5 to reserve the table and obviously will have to order food. But sure after 4 months I don't mind!

Fiver to reserve a table?

Is this a deposit or an additional charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

the pubs are finally back open again, this is FANTASTIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Good question. If it’s not a deposit that pub is basically charging a cover charge of at least €14 to have a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,907 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great to see place's open again

Might drop in some place later in the week but I want drink not bloody food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Great to see place's open again

Might drop in some place later in the week but I want drink not bloody food

If the foods covered in blood im not suprised you wouldn't want it, id be having words.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Wheres the logic in forcing people to buy food?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Curious on this one (ideal for Soccer watching). Are these guys definitely ok to do this?

I suppose a) limits how many people can come in, but b) no time limit then encourages longer sessions etc.

hJGmaK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It's a license issue. Pubs who don't serve food can't open until the next phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

only restaurants were meant to open. The reason should be obvious but many have their head firmly in the sand and in denial about the differences between a restaurant and a pub.

Ask yourself why a restaurant would have an easier time getting planning permission than a pub in a residential area.

Also if you ever heard the phrase "eating is cheating" you will know why they want people to be eating. And also why there are time limits.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Curious on this one (ideal for Soccer watching). Are these guys definitely ok to do this?
    I think they made it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

callaway92 wrote: »

I suppose a) limits how many people can come in, but b) no time limit then encourages longer sessions etc.

Yeah, I think they are ok with that.

The time limit is to allow for a reduction in social distancing from 2m to 1m.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Benimar wrote: »
    The time limit is to allow for a reduction in social distancing from 2m to 1m.
    Where did you hear this.

I see nothing suggesting it in the rules, but I have not read every single bit

https://failtecdn.azureedge.net/failteireland/Guidelines-for-Re-opening-Pubs.pdf
    Seating
    ■ Physical distancing of 2 metres* should be maintained between
    tables. However, if this is not possible, this can be reduced to 1
    metre* in controlled environments if the other risk mitigation
    requirements outlined in Appendix 1 have been met.
    ■ Pre-booked time limited slots should be in place for customers,
    which are a maximum of 105 minutes duration plus there
    should be a minimum of 15 minutes between bookings in order
    to allow for adequate cleaning and to allow customers to leave
    and enter, without mixing.
    ■ Physical distancing of 2 metres* does not apply within members
    of the same household. Physical distancing is required between
    tables/seats of non-household individuals.

Deposit, can be used towards my pint/food

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Just arrived in for my 6.30 appointment

Advertisement