Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

That's actually a good point.

Restaurant alcohol rules don't apply to a pub premises in normal times.

Normally I can sit down the back of the Grand Central or Fitzgeralds and have a pint without ordering food. I might be asked to move if the place is crowded and diners want the dining area table.

With that in mind we seem to be entering very interesting grey area territory here.

Pubs may have a restaurant cert, but have never been expected to enforce restaurant rules, or segregate the restaurant and general pub area. Many pubs don't have the dining area clearly defined.

Thats true actually, just remembered about a year ago going into the grand central to watch a match, could watch the match up beside the bar at the main door no bother didn't have to order food.

Not sure what way the grand central for example would be classed. Is it more restaurant or bar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,980 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Please God, no live music.

PLEEEEEEEEEASE

'Why dont you come over Valerieeeee'

'Youre Sex Is On Fire'

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Unclebumble

well you can have a sing song no bother.

hopefully like the 2m recommendation it will be phased out.

Publicans themselves may not allow it especially at the start and public health may be against it for a while. I think in NZ one of the recommendations to reopen was no live music, no standing at bar and table service only

not forever though

Yeah my sister lives in NZ - she was saying bar she goes to you scan a QR code at the door on your phone and fill in the form with your details.
    This info is held by 3rd party company / government and can contact trace you if need be.
    You get a code on your phone when you've done it and you wont get served at the table if you haven't got a code.

Simple but effective

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭vafankillar

Has anyone heard of any pubs closing or announcing they won't be reopening yet? just heard of one local, tho not entirely confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

PTH2009 wrote:
    'Why dont you come over Valerieeeee'

PTH2009 wrote:
    'Youre Sex Is On Fire'

Shudders!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

well my parents are thinking of selling (not now of course)

not sure if that counts.

they cant live there and reopen/ pub cant reopen while they live there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Has anyone heard of any pubs closing or announcing they won't be reopening yet? just heard of one local, tho not entirely confirmed

Was told by someone who would have a fair idea of 4 pubs in Galway city that won't be reopening and another very popular and busy pub that doesn't plan on reopening until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Plenty in Mayo won’t be. They can’t survive the winter up here without the summer season and tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Heard of at least two in Waterford but again I think they were in trouble before the COVID19 out of the two I say one might be okay if owners reopen as they serve food and one if the most popular places for food and they’ve an outside area they might need to transform into some kinda food segregation and possible beer garden but maybe they need a separate licence for that. We won’t know the full extent of pubs not opening till maybe November as some might choose to wait long plus if they don’t open for the Christmas trade then they are Brown Bread.

If it hadn’t been covered previously, What does everyone make of the pubs delivering pints and going over to collect pints? IMO it’s not really worth it if you could spend the same money on extra beer and the want to have more pints, if you got a few pints sure they be flat by the time you get to them. Deposits for each glass also, in fairness fair play to pubs to try get a few bob in the door. I’d rather wait to have a fresh pint when pubs open. Interesting to hear people’s take on it.

• Advertisement

If it hadn’t been covered previously, What does everyone make of the pubs delivering pints and going over to collect pints? IMO it’s not really worth it if you could spend the same money on extra beer and the want to have more pints, if you got a few pints sure they be flat by the time you get to them. Deposits for each glass also, in fairness fair play to pubs to try get a few bob in the door. I’d rather wait to have a fresh pint when pubs open. Interesting to hear people’s take on it.

Got a few myself last weekend, put them into the fridge and covered the top of them, not a bother with them and not flat at all. Was lovely to sit in the garden and have a proper pint and some food from the local. No deposit for the glass from ours, just drop them back up the road when your passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

saw kegs been delivered to a couple of pubs yesterday in dublin thirsty weather ahead

Got a few myself last weekend, put them into the fridge and covered the top of them, not a bother with them and not flat at all. Was lovely to sit in the garden and have a proper pint and some food from the local. No deposit for the glass from ours, just drop them back up the road when your passing.

Great idea, this weekend will be manic with pints delivered. I wonder what percentage the pubs are starting to bring in. Any pub with food started off with a pint with a dinner now it’s just pints by themselves. Most glasses the bars get for free anyway as part of promotions I would think so the 2 euro deposit is trying to close back any extra they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't miss them at all now, I don't know anyone else who is dying to go back either. The weather is helping, so many more things to do in this nice weather. I was out jogging the last 2 mornings at 7am in St Anne's park and people are running and cycling around, it's like being in California or something.
    The poxy weather here is one of the main reasons pubs are so popular.

I don't miss them at all now, I don't know anyone else who is dying to go back either. The weather is helping, so many more things to do in this nice weather. I was out jogging the last 2 mornings at 7am in St Anne's park and people are running and cycling around, it's like being in California or something.
    Not many better places that St Anne's and Dollymount when the weather is like this.

Come September/October when its pissing rain a trip to the local will be back on the agenda of most.

It's quite obvious the majority will revert to life as it was with some small changes.

I’m with you on that one, everything benefits not being in there and what follows then after a few pints, no hangover since it all started it’s great. Still have a few cans on a Sat night or last night one or two to enjoy the evening. If they never opened again I wouldn’t care but I will go for a pint when they reopen. One temptation we could do without. The love hate relationship will start all over again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Same don't miss them at all, in no rush to see them back open. Rather have a gaf party with a few heads you know rather than sitting in a segregated, no hanging out at the bar, table service only pub. No darts, pool etc. It will be a boozer in name only, no craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I’m with you on that one, everything benefits not being in there and what follows then after a few pints, no hangover since it all started it’s great. Still have a few cans on a Sat night or last night one or two to enjoy the evening. If they never opened again I wouldn’t care but I will go for a pint when they reopen. One temptation we could do without. The love hate relationship will start all over again :D

I'm sure it will all go back to normal, but it might change some people, like myself. I found myself having beers every bleedin' night since all this started, until nearly 2 weeks ago, and haven't had a drop since. It's amazing how much more stuff you can get done with a clear head. I mean jogging at 7am, this is something I would find unfathomable until recently.
    Anyway I pissed away a fortune in pubs for over 20 years, I'm 40 this year and if I ever I need to stop the cycle of getting pissed and spending money in a pub once or twice a week much to the determent of my physical and mental health, the time is now!
    So I couldn't really care less when I can go back to them, I do miss having a beer in a hot country outside in the summer though, but there's always next year.

Same don't miss them at all, in no rush to see them back open. Rather have a gaf party with a few heads you know rather than sitting in a segregated, no hanging out at the bar, table service only pub. No darts, pool etc. It will be a boozer in name only, no craic.

We're arranging a BBQ for next weekend but I know for a fact that when the pubs reopen it'll be the main choice if we're all to meet up when they reopen.

All well and good to say peoples behaviour has changed now but theres no doubt it'll roll back to where it was. It'll be like every other business that reopens theres going to be a rush when they open, first weekend back will be busy no doubt at all.

Yup as much as everyone says they don't mind when they reopen we all know people will go back and they'll be busy

• Advertisement

Yup as much as everyone says they don't mind when they reopen we all know people will go back and they'll be busy

The nostalgia alone with drive people in there but I think long term pubs need to change their M.O, no longer can they have toilets that are not maintained to a high standard and they should be much cleaner places. The likes of nightclubs might take longer to get up and running. It’ll be a weird feeling when a bar starts to get packed. A lot at the start will just leave I guess. Pubs were strugglin before all this, won’t be surprised to see a lot go under in each city across the land.

The nostalgia alone with drive people in there but I think long term pubs need to change their M.O, no longer can they have toilets that are not maintained to a high standard and they should be much cleaner places. The likes of nightclubs might take longer to get up and running. It’ll be a weird feeling when a bar starts to get packed. A lot at the start will just leave I guess. Pubs were strugglin before all this, won’t be surprised to see a lot go under in each city across the land.

Some will go under yes, if they were struggling before they'll be in distress now, plenty will recover too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/mcdowell-majority-in-favour-of-cafe-bars-206710.html

We all laughed and scoffed at McDowell and his ideas for us to adopt pavement table service, no more than two bottles of Italian beer with our French toast. For us pubs were stools, pints, football and crisps.

Seeing exactly these bars re open for outdoor service on the continent we might well regret our hostility now :pac:

Pubs open like that aren’t pubs at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

Padraig O'Reilly Photographer
    @padraig_reilly
    ·
    10m
    The Goat Grill and Bar in Goatstown,Dublin opened it’s beer garden serving drinks till the early hours of this http://morning.At one point #Garda arrived but were happy with the 2metre #SocialDistanacing and let it continue..What does this mean.Are pubs know allowed to open

redarmy wrote: »
    Padraig O'Reilly Photographer
    @padraig_reilly
    ·
    10m
    The Goat Grill and Bar in Goatstown,Dublin opened it’s beer garden serving drinks till the early hours of this http://morning.At one point #Garda arrived but were happy with the 2metre #SocialDistanacing and let it continue..What does this mean.Are pubs know allowed to open

Seriously bad message if they did let it go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Was it not a beer van? A mobile beer van, that’s what I saw. Not their beer garden. It happened to be within 100metres of the pub.

Hayden’s bar in Naas had their van out tonight driving round estate - pulling pints out of the back of it for people

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Munroes in Galway are doing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,980 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Things slowly unraveling and publicans not taking it anymore

Very festival feel with takeaway pints

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Seriously bad message if they did let it go.

Im in the trade and totally agree

Advertisement