Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

thats sound reasonable. I think we all might be a little bonkers by then. The longer you leave it the more phobia or inertia might build up. I would hope they stick to 2m distance for a while though. Change to 1m later on.

2m is very difficult in a pub I know (means less customers etc) but as mentioned here already it gives the flexibility for people to walk around. If you bring it down to 1m people will just be on top of each other again and we could screw ourselves.

Dublin City needs to reopen soon. It didnt look or feel good at all. Gangs of teens wandering the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

thats sound reasonable. I think we all might be a little bonkers by then. The longer you leave it the more phobia or inertia might build up. I would hope they stick to 2m distance for a while though. Change to 1m later on.

2m is very difficult in a pub I know (means less customers etc) but as mentioned here already it gives the flexibility for people to walk around. If you bring it down to 1m people will just be on top of each other again and we could screw ourselves.

Dublin City needs to reopen soon. It didnt look or feel good at all. Gangs of teens wandering the place.

Thats normal

I work in Dublin City and trust me it wasnt. Penneys etc arent open. no where for people to go. I think starbucks and burger king were open for takeway only.

what I mean is there is nowhere to go at present.

young teens aswell.

Maybe hanging out on the street is cool

Separately when pubs reopen prices will probably increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Has there been any suggestion that the government can draft legislation to prevent pubs with a restaurant section opening early?

Has there been any suggestion that the government can draft legislation to prevent pubs with a restaurant section opening early?

Would show real leadership if they do. After some good talk at the start they’ve let things slip badly and need to take control of something like this where pub and shop owners seem to be under the impression they can work away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Shop beside me will sell you drink after 10.30PM and they just scan it through the next day. Havn't been in before 10.30AM looking for some but im sure they would do same

That's great. Local filling station used to serve wine after niteclub time. They clamped down on that more recently.

Would show real leadership if they do. After some good talk at the start they’ve let things slip badly and need to take control of something like this where pub and shop owners seem to be under the impression they can work away.

could be another homeware and hardware sceanario

We are now on 37 new cases.

Holohan said last week that community transmission was effectively finished.

They don't seem to release the specifics of where new cases have occurred but, assuming the two week timeframe, and as said last week community transmission is all but over, can we assume that there could be under 100 general members of the public with the virus? A number that appears to be declining?

Socially distanced pubs should return before offices. People don't generally crowd rush hour public transport to get to a pub, and the majority of people know the people they are sat beside making contact tracing easier.

well every workplace/office is different but here are the rules to go back into mine

1. written permission from our President stating reason for being in office. Must be done in advance
    2. health declaration to be completed in advance. To be used for contact tracing aswell.
    3. mask to be worn
    4. can only attend at a specified date/dates
    5. can only attend alone

Socially distanced pubs shouldnt return before offices or before people can travel outside our regions. Not before people can see their families.

This is only week 2 and it could easily jump back into the community. Thankfully it is going down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

well every workplace/office is different but here are the rules to go back into mine

1. written permission from our President stating reason for being in office. Must be done in advance
    2. health declaration to be completed in advance. To be used for contact tracing aswell.
    3. mask to be worn
    4. can only attend at a specified date/dates
    5. can only attend alone

Socially distanced pubs shouldnt return before offices or before people can travel outside our regions. Not before people can see their families.

This is only week 2 and it could easily jump back into the community. Thankfully it is going down.

Crowd I work for are considered essential services and have been open throughout. Staff members have traveled to the four corners of the country and been in the workshop together. Correct social distancing , regular hand washing and cleaning of equipment.

Nobody got sick.

• Advertisement

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Crowd I work for are considered essential services and have been open throughout. Staff members have traveled to the four corners of the country and been in the workshop together. Correct social distancing , regular hand washing and cleaning of equipment.

Nobody got sick.

wonderful shows its working.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Unclebumble

Why should they?
    Why is it so difficult for people to understand that a pub can be a restaurant also?
    That it can serve drink and food and a restaurant can serve food and drink?
    How many pubs have you seen "Bar & Grill" on the outside?
    They are not "opening early" they will be opening when they were due to open.

Pubs have to pay to get a Restaurant Certificate each year, follow HSE guidelines and get regularly inspected by the HSE so that they are serving food correctly. The same as a restaurant. They have been doing this for years and are legally entitled to do so.

If a pub is going to open as a restaurant only on June 29 it MUST operate in the same way as a restaurant
    Some examples of these rules are:
    you must order a substantial meal with your drink,
    you must pay for your food and drink together
    your last drink should be no more that 30mins after the end of the meal.

There is no difference between this and a restaurant.
    If you are saying pubs shouldn't open in these circumstances then you should be saying the same about restaurants.

Now obviously in August, when pubs without Restaurant Certs want to open that is different and a totally different argument but that should not be confused between Restaurants and Pubs with Restaurant Certs being the same.

Some of the comments on here, saying "the big bad publican is trying to pull the wool over everyones eyes and jeopardise the nations health" are farcical.
    Along with those comments about "sure, look how a pub in Temple Bar was packed, therefore never allow or trust any pubs to open again."

A few pubs got it wrong but many, many more closed up before being asked to do so and before anyone here really knew how to deal with the crisis.

There is still many unknows with how pubs will be able to function in the future but things are changing all the time. The landscape looks vastly different today than a month ago and I suspect will look vastly different in August

W

If a pub is going to open as a restaurant only on June 29 it MUST operate in the same way as a restaurant

I wasn't aware restaurants had a 30 minute post meal limit.

How could this be enforced though? They can't force someone to eat at a set pace.

How do they define a substantial meal?

Can I order chicken wings, sit on them for hours while drinking, eat them, then the missus orders something and we stay another 3 hours?

So many caveats.

Why should they?
    Why is it so difficult for people to understand that a pub can be a restaurant also?
    That it can serve drink and food and a restaurant can serve food and drink?
    How many pubs have you seen "Bar & Grill" on the outside?
    They are not "opening early" they will be opening when they were due to open.

Pubs have to pay to get a Restaurant Certificate each year, follow HSE guidelines and get regularly inspected by the HSE so that they are serving food correctly. The same as a restaurant. They have been doing this for years and are legally entitled to do so.

There is no difference between this and a restaurant.
    If you are saying pubs shouldn't open in these circumstances then you should be saying the same about restaurants.

Now obviously in August, when pubs without Restaurant Certs want to open that is different and a totally different argument but that should not be confused between Restaurants and Pubs with Restaurant Certs being the same.

Some of the comments on here, saying "the big bad publican is trying to pull the wool over everyones eyes and jeopardise the nations health" are farcical.
    Along with those comments about "sure, look how a pub in Temple Bar was packed, therefore never allow or trust any pubs to open again."

A few pubs got it wrong but many, many more closed up before being asked to do so and before anyone here really knew how to deal with the crisis.

There is still many unknows with how pubs will be able to function in the future but things are changing all the time. The landscape looks vastly different today than a month ago and I suspect will look vastly different in August

would disagree with you on that. Our family pub closed but 3 pubs near me stayed open right up to the limit. One held a massive party just before closing - loads of people out on the street.

no idea who suggested not letting a pub that is also a restaurant open in June. Why would you do that. Open and welcome everyone in.

I would agree some of the comments here are farcical but also worrying. So many comments about how people will just ignore social distancing and it wont be implemented in pubs etc etc. Damaging to hear and worrying aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Why should they?

Says who?

Says who?

That's actually a good point.

Restaurant alcohol rules don't apply to a pub premises in normal times.

Normally I can sit down the back of the Grand Central or Fitzgeralds and have a pint without ordering food. I might be asked to move if the place is crowded and diners want the dining area table.

With that in mind we seem to be entering very interesting grey area territory here.

Pubs may have a restaurant cert, but have never been expected to enforce restaurant rules, or segregate the restaurant and general pub area. Many pubs don't have the dining area clearly defined.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

That's actually a good point.

Restaurant alcohol rules don't apply to a pub premises in normal times.

Normally I can sit down the back of the Grand Central or Fitzgeralds and have a pint without ordering food. I might be asked to move if the place is crowded and diners want the dining area table.

With that in mind we seem to be entering very interesting grey area territory here.

Pubs may have a restaurant cert, but have never been expected to enforce restaurant rules, or segregate the restaurant and general pub area. Many pubs don't have the dining area clearly defined.

The whole thing sounds bizarre.

I wasn't aware restaurants had a 30 minute post meal limit.

How could this be enforced though? They can't force someone to eat at a set pace.

How do they define a substantial meal?

Can I order chicken wings, sit on them for hours while drinking, eat them, then the missus orders something and we stay another 3 hours?

So many caveats.

My point was the rules are there for both Restaurants and Pubs so why differentiate?

The law doesn't force someone to eat at a set pace. Just that you have 30mins to finish up drinking after your meal.
    Same as you have 30 mins to finish up drinking when the pub closes

How would they enforce it in a restaurant if someone did that?

A substantial meal has be defined in court

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My point was the rules are there for both Restaurants and Pubs so why differentiate?

The law doesn't force someone to eat at a set pace. Just that you have 30mins to finish up drinking after your meal.
    Same as you have 30 mins to finish up drinking when the pub closes

How would they enforce it in a restaurant if someone did that?

A substantial meal has be defined in court

Rubber Sandwich....... ;)

My post was in direct response to poster saying laws should be passed to prevent pubs with restaurant certs from opening as a restaurant - that's who was suggesting it.

So your pub closed and 3 others didn't - I would know at least 20 pubs in my area of Dublin who closed before they we asked to.

• Advertisement

Restaurant alcohol rules don't apply to a pub premises in normal times. These are not normal times

"Normally I can sit down the back of the Grand Central or Fitzgeralds and have a pint without ordering food. I might be asked to move if the place is crowded and diners want the dining area table.

Pubs may have a restaurant cert, but have never been expected to enforce restaurant rules, or segregate the restaurant and general pub area. Many pubs don't have the dining area clearly defined."

The pub isn't opening as a pub but is opening as a restaurant, using it's restaurant cert in a property that has planning for both public house and restaurant.
    The would would have to enforce restaurant rules because it is effectively a restaurant for the 6 weeks.
    It doesn't need to segregate as there will be no pub section.
    It is purely a restaurant

rubber sandwich indeed

if pubs who have restaurants open next month just buy some food. I would say restaurants and pubs who open will have time limits on their tables for a while anyway as well as pre booking.

I think my point is unfortunately when it comes to pubs it only takes one to act irresponsibly to tarnish the whole lot. Having a party while pubs were being asked to close in the middle of a pandemic was not the best look. Also dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,001 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i guess sing songs and a rake of pints is out of the question in these new 'restaurant pubs'

If local pubs can open as a restaurant than they will still be loyal to the locals and they can stay as long as they want

how will a place manage if a certain community of people entered there premieses. They wong take no for an answer

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i guess sing songs and a rake of pints is out of the question in these new 'restaurant pubs'

If local pubs can open as a restaurant than they will still be loyal to the locals and they can stay as long as they want

how will a place manage if a certain community of people entered there premieses. They wong take no for an answer

dont think sing songs are banned - but no live music or DJs

Would agree with you. Was thinking of larger pubs in larger towns and cities - more demand.Our family pub doesnt have a restaurant licence - dont think soup and sandwich counts

Less space aswell depending on whatever the rules will be.

rubber sandwich indeed

if pubs who have restaurants open next month just buy some food. I would say restaurants and pubs who open will have time limits on their tables for a while anyway as well as pre booking.

I think my point is unfortunately when it comes to pubs it only takes one to act irresponsibly to tarnish the whole lot. Having a party while pubs were being asked to close in the middle of a pandemic was not the best look. Also dangerous.

As in most things nowadays, I think there isn't enough personal responsibility.
    Easy to blame the pub for being open - not enough blame on the people who weren't forced to go there, acting like idiots.
    Plenty of people breaking lockdown rules everywhere you go at the present with no consequences.
    Many posters here saying won't go to the pub if there's loads of rules about meeting people yet happy to say will have a house party instead.

Anyway, personally think until social distancing isn't required then it's impossible to ensure social distancing anywhere that you aren't seated.

So not more packed pubs or standing at the bar a while yet.
    Seated at the table is your only option, which many people will not like or bother going to the pub for.

dont think sing songs are banned - but no live music or DJs

Would agree with you. Was thinking of larger pubs in larger towns and cities - more demand.Our family pub doesnt have a restaurant licence - dont think soup and sandwich counts

Less space aswell depending on whatever the rules will be.

No Live music or DJ was purely a recommendation from the LVA/VFI.
    Its not the law!
    It's now become one of those urban legends!

Idea behind it was no big band, so no one getting up to dance but a guy in the corner playing his guitar or a DJ playing background tunes is fine.

Anyway there will be a whole set of rules and regulations for the bars/restaurants released before June 29th

No Live music or DJ was purely a recommendation from the LVA/VFI.
    Its not the law!
    It's now become one of those urban legends!

Idea behind it was no big band, so no one getting up to dance but a guy in the corner playing his guitar or a DJ playing background tunes is fine.

Anyway there will be a whole set of rules and regulations for the bars/restaurants released before June 29th

good lord of course its not law. These are recommendations to get things opened again thats all. Every sector has them. My own sector has a 14 page document full of guidance and recommendations.

these recommendations will be phased out eventually all going well.

good lord of course its not law. These are recommendations to get things opened again thats all. Every sector has them. My own sector has a 14 page document full of guidance and recommendations.

these recommendations will be phased out eventually all going well.

sorry my bad - just heard so many people say pubs won't be allowed to have any music in them!

sorry my bad - just heard so many people say pubs won't be allowed to have any music in them!

well you can have a sing song no bother.

hopefully like the 2m recommendation it will be phased out.

Publicans themselves may not allow it especially at the start and public health may be against it for a while. I think in NZ one of the recommendations to reopen was no live music, no standing at bar and table service only

not forever though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Please God, no live music.

PLEEEEEEEEEASE

Advertisement