Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

downcow wrote: »
    Firstly, I am not, nor ever have been a member of any of the loyal orders or loyalists bands.

Your claim is simply ludicrous- that people phone the families every BS anniversary, identify themselves as orangemen and then taunt them about the deaths.

Most people on here will realise how ludicrous that is.

Try deny truth all yous want mate...personally dont see any differemce between orangeman and loyalist tbh,your just splittong hairs given crossover in memberships
    As for some putting up graffiti (I suppose he also identified himself as an Orangeman). It doesn’t prove much about the unionist community. We could all point to horrendous graffiti directed at each community. It really only takes one misguided person.

Unionist is just poah wau of describing loyalista tbh......except this wasnt directed at any community...it was into middle of bogside to taunt relatives and friends of those killed,these people offer nothibg to the world,the fact yous
    cant condemn it perfering to shout what about, just confirms what everyone thinks of ye

• Registered Users Posts: 67,064 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Very good piece. And the nationalist Irish news ran a story last week of how the small Protestant estate of Suffolk is being attacked nightly. And all just the tip of the iceberg. But francie and co want to chase shadows in an impossible attempt to get an old man prosecuted

Did you notice who was sitting at that conference, not afraid to confront what happened, not afraid to accept some blame, not afraid to read reports and accept them, and not afraid to listen to the stories of the other side...Eamonn McCann, the man, who some say, organised the march on Bloody Sunday.

Who is in denial that intimidation and displacement happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭downcow

_blaaz wrote: »
    Try deny truth all yous want mate...personally dont see any differemce between orangeman and loyalist tbh,your just splittong hairs given crossover in memberships

Unionist is just poah wau of describing loyalista tbh......except this wasnt directed at any community...it was into middle of bogside to taunt relatives and friends of those killed,these people offer nothibg to the world,the fact yous
    cant condemn it perfering to shout what about, just confirms what everyone thinks of ye

I am a member of neither but you don’t want to hear that.

I think it was certainly inappropriate and hurtful to put the graffiti on the free derry wall. But I’m not getting to excited about it in the scheme of things that go on here

Did you notice who was sitting at that conference, not afraid to confront what happened, not afraid to accept some blame, not afraid to read reports and accept them, and not afraid to listen to the stories of the other side...Eamonn McCann, the man, who some say, organised the march on Bloody Sunday.

Who is in denial that intimidation and displacement happened?

I have always had respect for Eamon McCann and it doesn’t surprise me that he is more in touch with reality than the shinners etc.
    Well done Eamon, not use your position to drive it forward

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

more fantasy - and this is the problem. These were the arterial shortest route to the centre of town and in some cases they passed the fringes of areas that were predominately nationalist - but Gerry said it - The IRA volunteers done a great job in creating tension around these parades.
    and if i'm not mistaken there has not been a parade on the garvaghy Road this century.

You are going to have to move on or the world will move on without you

You might tell that to the bowler hatted gentelmen with the 1690 obsession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,014 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So what is your solution. We have 3,000 £100m enquiries? Now that would be nuts.
    My community is being told it’s ok for the people who killed our loved ones to tell blatant lies, like ‘I was never in the ira’, and take up the highest public office in the land while saying I left the ira in 1972.
    I think some people on here think unionist hurt isn’t real.

Who are the nutters?

If you are offended by me saying forget about Bloody Sunday. Do you have no empathy or understanding how we feel when you elect the people who killed us.
    Can you imagine if we were electing soldier f to first minister and naming playgrounds after him .

Try to put yourself in unionist shoes

Again if the British Army and Government had not of whitewashed the 1st investigation into Bloody Sunday there would not have been the need for the £100m enquiry and who knows what might have happened after that. You seem to forget the IRA were low in number before that day and the events of that day and aftermath drove a lot of young men away from the peaceful protests into the arms of the IRA. Bloody Sunday killed the Civil Rights movement and grew the IRA.

Again if the British Army and Government had not of whitewashed the 1st investigation into Bloody Sunday there would not have been the need for the £100m enquiry and who knows what might have happened after that. You seem to forget the IRA were low in number before that day and the events of that day and aftermath drove a lot of young men away from the peaceful protests into the arms of the IRA. Bloody Sunday killed the Civil Rights movement and grew the IRA.

Had the British owned up then, we would be in an entirely different place now, of that i have no doubt.

That the British tried to consolidate and support the sectarian state and Unionist veto until the Anglo Irish Agreement was tragic if not criminal.

No small wonder that Jim Molyneaux UUP described it as 'the worst thing that has ever happened us' and David Trimble, threatened that it might take violence to undo it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Francie, you have still not answered the questions below. A yes or no answer to each question will suffice.

I didn’t mean to upset you francie.
    I just asked you if you knew the below stuff which is what most unionists took out of it

“Did you know the fisherman was on the roof with a machine gun. And did you know there was extensive rioting by marchers ?? Serious question??

Did you know armed ira members were shooting at the army?

Did you know it was not a peaceful demonstration?”

It’s sad but it’s just the same as you having skewed views about the loughinisland enquiry. Unfortunately the two communities see things very differently
    But I am surpised that that surprises you

janfebmar wrote: »
    Francie, you have still not answered the questions below. A yes or no answer to each question will suffice.

You got your answer last night.

If you think I am participating in your despicable and ongoing attempt to undermine the Saville Inquiry, think again.
    Blanch152 sank low enough last night when he insinuated (as the British were very anxious to do for the most of 40 years) that the dead and injured were not 'innocent' was about as low as I have seen you guys go.
    blanch152 wrote:
    Nobody comes out of Bloody Sunday an innocent or a hero,

You got your answer last night.

If you think I am participating in your despicable and ongoing attempt to undermine the Saville Inquiry, think again.
    Blanch152 sank low enough last night when he insinuated (as the British were very anxious to do for the most of 40 years) that the dead and injured were not 'innocent' was about as low as I have seen you guys go.

So francie this is progress. Do I hear you saying that some victims of the conflict were innocent and some were not. This is what most unionists have been wanting in the victims debate but most republicans won’t go there. So fair play to you. I would never have expected such a reasonable attitude from you. I wonder does blaaz agree?

• Advertisement

So francie this is progress. Do I hear you saying that some victims of the conflict were innocent and some were not. This is what most unionists have been wanting in the victims debate but most republicans won’t go there. So fair play to you. I would never have expected such a reasonable attitude from you. I wonder does blaaz agree?

What are you on about now downcow?

What are you on about now downcow?

I am just very impressed that you are recognising the BS victims as innocent , as opposed to terrorists who are clearly not. I hope this is a moment of enlightenment for you.

I am just very impressed that you are recognising the BS victims as innocent , as opposed to terrorists who are clearly not. I hope this is a moment of enlightenment for you.

When have I EVER portrayed IRA members on active service as 'innocents? Or the members of other groups for that matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

When have I EVER portrayed IRA members on active service as 'innocents? Or the members of other groups for that matter?

Were they innocent, if while IRA members, they were not on active service ?

WTF????

Were they innocent, if while IRA members, they were not on active service ?

If you are talking about summary justice, that is wholly wrong for a state to be involved in, whether it be executing the IRA, or anybody else.

If you are not going to hold a state to account, higher than you hold insurgents or paramilitaries all is lost.

Interesting to see the view expounded here that the 'state' were only doing what the IRA or UVF did. Or that there is no difference to justice served on the side of a road somewhere and in prison after a trial. (janfebmar's infamous Maggie v Dev theory)

There is no distinction when there is a cheap score to be had.

Or that there is no difference to justice served on the side of a road somewhere and in prison after a trial. (janfebmar's infamous Maggie v Dev theory)

Are you still whinging about the Republican paramilitaries who dressed as civilians and were armed to the teeth and who attacked others and tried to murder them, only for the others to fight back in self defence?

And as regards Dev, or Notorious Dev as you now call him, do you think he was worse that Mrs Thatcher seeing as he executed captured IRA prisoners in prison and Mrs T. did not?

Are you still whinging about the Republican paramilitaries who dressed as civilians and were armed to the teeth and who attacked others and tried to murder them, only for the others to fight back in self defence?

And as regards Dev, or Notorious Dev as you now call him, do you think he was worse that Mrs Thatcher seeing as he executed captured IRA prisoners in prison and Mrs T. did not?

No Dev held trials. He is way ahead of Thatcher who stood over multiple summary executions. That was why the SAS were here. If you think the state should be involved in extrajudicial killings, that just confirms my opinion of you and your morals but these units also killed more than IRA members.

No Dev held trials. He is way ahead of Thatcher who stood over multiple summary executions. That was why the SAS were here. If you think the state should be involved in extrajudicial killings, that just confirms my opinion of you and your morals but these units also killed more than IRA members.

You were whinging about Republicans getting shot at, even when they opened fire first and tried to assinate someone? For example, a pira gang once lured a part time UDR soldier who was off duty doing other work, to an isolated house near the border where a pira gang tried to kill him, but he fired back killing one of the attackers and scaring off the others, who ran back across the border and were captured by the Gardai. You are complaining about even active paramilitaries killed "on active service". It did not happen often given the paramilitaries had the element of surprise before shooting someone off duty in the back and melting back in to civilian population.

You say Dev gave a trial before shooting captured prisoners: if you think that was ok then would it have been ok for leaders 30 years later to also give a trial and execute prisoners?

You were whinging about Republicans getting shot at, even when they opened fire first and tried to assinate someone? For example, a pira gang once lured a part time UDR soldier who was off duty doing other work, to an isolated house near the border where a pira gang tried to kill him, but he fired back killing one of the attackers and scaring off the others, who ran back across the border and were captured by the Gardai. You are complaining about even active paramilitaries killed "on active service". It did not happen often given the paramilitaries had the element of surprise before shooting someone off duty in the back and melting back in to civilian population.

You say Dev gave a trial before shooting captured prisoners: if you think that was ok then would it have been ok for leaders 30 years later to also give a trial and execute prisoners?

You aren't fit to call yourself a democrat.
    If you think the state should be involved in extrajudicial killings, that just confirms my opinion of you and your morals but these units also killed more than IRA members.

• Advertisement

You aren't fit to call yourself a democrat.

How would you define "extrajudicial killings"? According to some Republicans there was a war on, was there not? Would you think the killing (by Defence Forcess) of the driver of the car containing the Border Fox in Co. Kilkenny in 1987 was an "extrajudicial killing"?

Maybe you think the only people who should have been armed on the whole island should have been the pira?

How would you define "extrajudicial killings"? According to some Republicans there was a war on, was there not? Would you think the killing (by Defence Forcess) of the driver of the car containing the Border Fox in Co. Kilkenny in 1987 was an "extrajudicial killing"?

Maybe you think the only people who should have been armed on the whole island should have been the pira?

If you don't know, I suggest you take yourself off and find out why extrajudicial killings are wrong.

I am not going on one of your nasty one sided exploitative trawls of selective killings during the conflict/war.

More lies Jane?

The report states, contrary to the previously established belief, that none of the soldiers fired in response to attacks by petrol bombers or stone throwers, and that the civilians were not posing any threat.

More lies Jane?

The report states, contrary to the previously established belief, that none of the soldiers fired in response to attacks by petrol bombers or stone throwers, and that the civilians were not posing any threat.

If you don't have a problem with extrajudicial killings by the state then you sanction acts such as Bloody Sunday, where soldiers were allowed to kill innocent people and then claim to the satisfaction of the establishment (Widjery) that they thought themselves under fire and attack. It took 40 years to prove otherwise and a soldier will stand trial for it.
    Isn't it a funny coincidence that the person who doesn't have a problem with it, is the same person who has been trying to undermine the findings of the tribunal several times on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Riding roughshod over the rules agreed about flying flags,SF hypocrites should be taken to task.
    https://derrynow.com/news/alliance-party-rep-accuses-sinn-fein-double-standards-erection-irish-tricolours-ahead-hunger-strike-commemoration/279847

W
    If you don't know, I suggest you take yourself off and find out why extrajudicial killings are wrong.

I am not going on one of your nasty one sided exploitative trawls of selective killings during the conflict/war.

That really shows you up for what you are. You and other Republicans have trawled for and selected one incident during the troubles, Bloody Sunday and endlessly brought it up. Others have engaged with you on it. Yet you will not answer certain questions about it, such as if you knew there was serious rioting, petrol bombs and other missiles thrown at the army before the shooting started. The Irish Times photo shows the army sheltering beside land rovers and the road full of rocks and stones thrown by the rioters in the picture.

You talk about selected British army killings but you will not talk about other killings, such as the ambushed lone off duty part time UDR soldier who fought back after he was lured in to an IRA gang ambush near the border, because you are "not going on one of my nasty one sided trawls of selected killings etc".
    All British army killings were "extrajudicial" and wrong, where as the paramilitaries were always in the right, as long as they were Republican paramilitaries of course. According to you, it was right for one side to attack and murder, but not for the forces of law and order to ever fire back or act in self defence.

Pathetic.

That really shows you up for what you are. You and other Republicans have trawled for and selected one incident during the troubles, Bloody Sunday and endlessly brought it up. Others have engaged with you on it. Yet you will not answer certain questions about it, such as if you knew there was serious rioting, petrol bombs and other missiles thrown at the army before the shooting started. The Irish Times photo shows the army sheltering beside land rovers and the road full of rocks and stones thrown by the rioters in the picture.

You talk about selected British army killings but you will not talk about other killings, such as the ambushed lone off duty part time UDR soldier who fought back after he was lured in to an IRA gang ambush near the border, because you are "not going on one of my nasty one sided trawls of selected killings etc".

Pathetic.

'Tis you who is the queen of the selective victim janfebmar. I have drawn attention to you exploitation of certain victims, many times.

I refuse to allow you to do it with yet another set.

We can discuss the principal of extra judicial killings in principle...because it is one of the principles of democracy a state SHOULD NEVER break imo.

But you so far, have not condemned it. You make excuses for it.

W

All British army killings were "extrajudicial" and wrong, where as the paramilitaries were always in the right, as long as they were Republican paramilitaries of course. According to you, it was right for one side to attack and murder, but not for the forces of law and order to ever fire back or act in self defence.

Pathetic.
    More lies Jane?

So you ignored this where the report says civilians were not posing any threat before the army open fire.

The report of the inquiry[93] was published on 15 June 2010. The report concluded, "The firing by soldiers of 1 PARA on Bloody Sunday caused the deaths of 13 people and injury to a similar number, none of whom was posing a threat of causing death or serious injury."[94] Saville stated that British paratroopers "lost control", fatally shooting fleeing civilians and those who tried to aid civilians who had been shot by the British soldiers.[95] The report stated that British soldiers had concocted lies in their attempt to hide their acts.[95] Saville stated that the civilians had not been warned by the British soldiers that they intended to shoot.[96] The report states, contrary to previous assertions, that no stones and no petrol bombs were thrown by civilians before British soldiers shot at them, and that the civilians were not posing any threat.[95]

The report concluded that an Official IRA sniper fired on British soldiers, albeit that on the balance of evidence his shot was fired after the Army shots that wounded Damien Donaghey and John Johnston. The Inquiry rejected the sniper's account that this shot had been made in reprisal, stating the view that he and another Official IRA member had already been in position, and the shot had probably been fired simply because the opportunity had presented itself.[97] Ultimately the Saville Inquiry was inconclusive on Martin McGuinness's role, due to a lack of certainty over his movements, concluding that while he was "engaged in paramilitary activity" during Bloody Sunday, and had probably been armed with a Thompson submachine gun, there was insufficient evidence to make any finding other than they were "sure that he did not engage in any activity that provided any of the soldiers with any justification for opening fire".[98]

Regarding the soldiers in charge on the day of Bloody Sunday, the Saville Inquiry arrived at the following findings:

Lieutenant Colonel Derek Wilford: Commander of 1 Para and directly responsible for arresting rioters and returning to base. Found to have 'deliberately disobeyed' his superior Brigadier Patrick MacLellan's orders by sending Support Company into the Bogside (and without informing MacLellan).[73]

Major Ted Loden: Commander in charge of soldiers, following orders issued by Lieutenant Colonel Wilford. Cleared of misconduct; Saville cited in the report that Loden "neither realised nor should have realised that his soldiers were or might be firing at people who were not posing or about to pose a threat".[73] The inquiry found that Loden could not be held responsible for claims (whether malicious or not) by some of the individual soldiers that they had received fire from snipers.

Captain Mike Jackson: Second in command of 1 Para on the day of Bloody Sunday. Cleared of sinister actions following Jackson's compiling of a list of what soldiers told Major Loden on why they had fired. This list became known as the "Loden List of Engagements" which played a role in the Army's initial explanations. While the inquiry found the compiling of the list was 'far from ideal', Jackson's explanations were accepted based on the list not containing the names of soldiers and the number of times they fired.[73]

Major General Robert Ford: Commander of land forces and set the British strategy to oversee the civil march in Derry. Cleared of any fault, but his selection of 1 Para, and in particular his selection of Colonel Wilford to be in control of arresting rioters, was found to be disconcerting, specifically as "1 PARA was a force with a reputation for using excessive physical violence, which thus ran the risk of exacerbating the tensions between the Army and nationalists".[73]

Brigadier Pat MacLellan: Operational commander of the day. Cleared of any wrongdoing as he was under the impression that Wilford would follow orders by arresting rioters and then returning to base, and could not be blamed for Wilford's actions.[73]

Major Michael Steele: With MacLellan in the operations room and in charge of passing on the orders of the day. The inquiry report accepted that Steele could not believe other than that a separation had been achieved between rioters and marchers, because both groups were in different areas.[99]
    Other soldiers: Lance Corporal F was found responsible for a number of the deaths and that a number of soldiers have "knowingly put forward false accounts in order to seek to justify their firing".[73]

Intelligence officer Colonel Maurice Tugwell and Colin Wallace, (an IPU army press officer): Cleared of wrongdoing. Saville believed the information Tugwell and Wallace released through the media was not down to any deliberate attempt to deceive the public but rather due to much of the inaccurate information Tugwell had received at the time by various other figures.[100]

So you ignored this where the report says civilians were not posing any threat before the army open fire.

The report of the inquiry[93] was published on 15 June 2010. The report concluded, "The firing by soldiers of 1 PARA on Bloody Sunday caused the deaths of 13 people and injury to a similar number, none of whom was posing a threat of causing death or serious injury."[94] Saville stated that British paratroopers "lost control", fatally shooting fleeing civilians and those who tried to aid civilians who had been shot by the British soldiers.[95] The report stated that British soldiers had concocted lies in their attempt to hide their acts.[95] Saville stated that the civilians had not been warned by the British soldiers that they intended to shoot.[96] The report states, contrary to previous assertions, that no stones and no petrol bombs were thrown by civilians before British soldiers shot at them, and that the civilians were not posing any threat.[95]

The report concluded that an Official IRA sniper fired on British soldiers, albeit that on the balance of evidence his shot was fired after the Army shots that wounded Damien Donaghey and John Johnston. The Inquiry rejected the sniper's account that this shot had been made in reprisal, stating the view that he and another Official IRA member had already been in position, and the shot had probably been fired simply because the opportunity had presented itself.[97] Ultimately the Saville Inquiry was inconclusive on Martin McGuinness's role, due to a lack of certainty over his movements, concluding that while he was "engaged in paramilitary activity" during Bloody Sunday, and had probably been armed with a Thompson submachine gun, there was insufficient evidence to make any finding other than they were "sure that he did not engage in any activity that provided any of the soldiers with any justification for opening fire".[98]

Regarding the soldiers in charge on the day of Bloody Sunday, the Saville Inquiry arrived at the following findings:

Lieutenant Colonel Derek Wilford: Commander of 1 Para and directly responsible for arresting rioters and returning to base. Found to have 'deliberately disobeyed' his superior Brigadier Patrick MacLellan's orders by sending Support Company into the Bogside (and without informing MacLellan).[73]

Major Ted Loden: Commander in charge of soldiers, following orders issued by Lieutenant Colonel Wilford. Cleared of misconduct; Saville cited in the report that Loden "neither realised nor should have realised that his soldiers were or might be firing at people who were not posing or about to pose a threat".[73] The inquiry found that Loden could not be held responsible for claims (whether malicious or not) by some of the individual soldiers that they had received fire from snipers.

Captain Mike Jackson: Second in command of 1 Para on the day of Bloody Sunday. Cleared of sinister actions following Jackson's compiling of a list of what soldiers told Major Loden on why they had fired. This list became known as the "Loden List of Engagements" which played a role in the Army's initial explanations. While the inquiry found the compiling of the list was 'far from ideal', Jackson's explanations were accepted based on the list not containing the names of soldiers and the number of times they fired.[73]

Major General Robert Ford: Commander of land forces and set the British strategy to oversee the civil march in Derry. Cleared of any fault, but his selection of 1 Para, and in particular his selection of Colonel Wilford to be in control of arresting rioters, was found to be disconcerting, specifically as "1 PARA was a force with a reputation for using excessive physical violence, which thus ran the risk of exacerbating the tensions between the Army and nationalists".[73]

Brigadier Pat MacLellan: Operational commander of the day. Cleared of any wrongdoing as he was under the impression that Wilford would follow orders by arresting rioters and then returning to base, and could not be blamed for Wilford's actions.[73]

Major Michael Steele: With MacLellan in the operations room and in charge of passing on the orders of the day. The inquiry report accepted that Steele could not believe other than that a separation had been achieved between rioters and marchers, because both groups were in different areas.[99]
    Other soldiers: Lance Corporal F was found responsible for a number of the deaths and that a number of soldiers have "knowingly put forward false accounts in order to seek to justify their firing".[73]

Intelligence officer Colonel Maurice Tugwell and Colin Wallace, (an IPU army press officer): Cleared of wrongdoing. Saville believed the information Tugwell and Wallace released through the media was not down to any deliberate attempt to deceive the public but rather due to much of the inaccurate information Tugwell had received at the time by various other figures.[100]

Why were some people presenting to the enquiry told not to mention agents and why was there no uproar from the families about this. We might need an enquiry into the enquiry!

• Advertisement

Help me understand this.
    What did the enquiry achieve that was worth over £100m? I keen for a serious answer to this.

Advertisement