Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options
1160161162163164166»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

It won’t be SF leading a UI ref anyways. They’re not irrelevant but they’re not that important to it either

• Registered Users Posts: 66,885 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

maccored wrote: »
    We'll wait til it actually happens ...

I find it hilarious that in the constant pursuit of SF and predictions of their doom, these people forget thow parties like FG and FF, The Greens etc were decimated by the electorate in fairly normal political ebb and flows.

All over this site people like blanch cling to the hope that his boogeymen/women are somehow different.
    I would think rumours of SF's demise are slightly premature based on looking at the fortunes of FG, FF, The Greens, Labour, etc etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

There’s back pedaling and there’s this. The DUP are panicking now.

From the comments
    is this the same ROI Gov who invited the DUP to participate in an All Ireland forum? An invitation which was rejected out of hand by Dodd’s &Co. & the same ROI who a few weeks ago were being asked to Dial down the rhetoric from Ms Blood Red Lines herself?
    Enda Kenny @EndaKennyTD tried to set up a forum for Brexit and the DUP told him to do one.

https://twitter.com/duponline/status/1168977812361007105?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

maccored wrote: »
    We'll wait til it actually happens ...

I find it hilarious that in the constant pursuit of SF and predictions of their doom, these people forget thow parties like FG and FF, The Greens etc were decimated by the electorate in fairly normal political ebb and flows.

All over this site people like blanch cling to the hope that his boogeymen/women are somehow different.
    I would think rumours of SF's demise are slightly premature based on looking at the fortunes of FG, FF, The Greens, Labour, etc etc
    A cursory Google search shows SF took a pounding at the ballot boxes recently,how is stating the obvious hilarious or premature ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

RobMc59 wrote: »
    A cursory Google search shows SF took a pounding at the ballot boxes recently,how is stating the obvious hilarious or premature ?

Because parties get wiped out worse and end up, say, in partnership, unofficially with the FG government, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

There’s back pedaling and there’s this. The DUP are panicking now.

From the comments
    is this the same ROI Gov who invited the DUP to participate in an All Ireland forum? An invitation which was rejected out of hand by Dodd’s &Co. & the same ROI who a few weeks ago were being asked to Dial down the rhetoric from Ms Blood Red Lines herself?
    Enda Kenny @EndaKennyTD tried to set up a forum for Brexit and the DUP told him to do one.

https://twitter.com/duponline/status/1168977812361007105?s=21

That's because they are not powerbrokers anymore with between Tories walking across the floor in front of Boris and and party members voting against them has made the DUP irrelevant.
    They will soon find out what all party's in the commons think of them,not to mention their core business vote in NI who are going to be isolated and decimated by the actions of these idiots trying to drag NI back to the 1920s.

Of course now they want to talk to the Irish government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

tipptom wrote: »

They want to prevent Leo putting up a hard border, which the EU will tell him to do. Nobody in Britain or NI want a hard border.

janfebmar wrote: »
    They want to prevent Leo putting up a hard border, which the EU will tell him to do. Nobody in Britain or NI want a hard border.

The democrats in the HoC are seeing to it, right now that there'll be no hard border.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,083 ✭✭✭✭downcow

That's because they are not powerbrokers anymore with between Tories walking across the floor in front of Boris and and party members voting against them has made the DUP irrelevant.
    They will soon find out what all party's in the commons think of them,not to mention their core business vote in NI who are going to be isolated and decimated by the actions of these idiots trying to drag NI back to the 1920s.

If I was a duo candidate I would be relishing an election. Dip have somewhere in the 30s% but 45% in ni voted for brexit. Seems there is 15% who have no home for their vote other than dup and people before profit. Seems they can only increase even further.

• Advertisement

downcow wrote: »
    If I was a duo candidate I would be relishing an election. Dip have somewhere in the 30s% but 45% in ni voted for brexit. Seems there is 15% who have no home for their vote other than dup and people before profit. Seems they can only increase even further.

Uphill struggle for Arlene, as well as probably losing their sweetheart deal with the Tories. Chickens coming home and all that.

https://twitter.com/naomi_long/status/1169014137898373122

The democrats in the HoC are seeing to it, right now that there'll be no hard border.

Not often I agree with you francie but you`re correct-the democrats in the HoC finally doing something is like a sleeping giant waking up!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

downcow wrote: »

Can you not see that Brexit is harming Unionism?

Five times Johnstone was asked today about the armegeddon coming down the line predicted by his own advisors that came out in leaks and he refused to answer the if the leaks were true or not and that is just the leaks that has got out.

Wait until a GE setting and the leaks start coming fast and furious from the likes of the governor of the Bank of England etc about what is going to happen and how people will suffer it will become plain to people in NI of how the DUP is willing to sacrifice their livelihoods for some neo unionist cause and how they held back this information from them.

I predict gains for the centre in NI with SF to hold their own and losses for the DUP.

Tories will lose power in the UK with the DUP sat at the back viewed as a bunch of outdated racist homophobic cranks.

Five times Johnstone was asked today about the armegeddon coming down the line predicted by his own advisors that came out in leaks and he refused to answer the if the leaks were true or not and that is just the leaks that has got out.

Wait until a GE setting and the leaks start coming fast and furious from the likes of the governor of the Bank of England etc about what is going to happen and how people will suffer it will become plain to people in NI of how the DUP is willing to sacrifice their livelihoods for some neo unionist cause and how they held back this information from them.

I predict gains for the centre in NI with SF to hold their own and losses for the DUP.

Tories will lose power in the UK with the DUP sat at the back viewed as a bunch of outdated racist homophobic cranks.

Johnson`s reckless,spoilt brat attitude appears to have finally woken people up to what a clueless windbag he really is!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone who thinks SF and the DUP won't still be the main players for several elections to come are living in cloud cuckoo land

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks SF and the DUP won't still be the main players for several elections to come are living in cloud cuckoo land
    DUP will lose votes and we have probably seen almost the last of Arlene. But there will be little change as you say...maybe drop a seat or two, the UUP seem incapable of offering an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

There was a little clip on newsnight last night showing the various permutations of Tory/Labour/ Lib dems, snp etc post an election.While NI was shown in the diagram there was no mention of the place or who might be returned. I though it encapsulated the reality of NI-very few outside of the 6 counties really care about the place. Certainly not any British government and what's absolutely certain is that if/once Britain leaves the EU they will want to ditch the costly millstone that is NI asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

they took 'a pounding' mainly because of the irish electorate who tend mainly vote FF or FG and for a while decided to vote SF in order to punish. now they're back to voting FG/FF so as I say - the SF vote is stabilising ... not collapsing.

DUP will lose votes and we have probably seen almost the last of Arlene. But there will be little change as you say...maybe drop a seat or two, the UUP seem incapable of offering an alternative.

Yes,i don't think anyone is suggesting that there is going to be a massive move ecause it is NI after all but I do think the sands are going to shift for the DUP in this GE when damaging information that has been buried and withheld on Brexit and their ongoing scandals start leaking as they invariably do at GEs.
    The only possible losers can be the DUP in marginals and they wont have the ear or the protection of Whitehall in this and may well indeed be the opposite for the first time in GEs.I think id Alliance are clever and ruthless with their strategy they could be the ones to gain in this situation and maybe could start to turn the tide towards normalising the way people vote in NI.

They DUP bet all on black and lost.

• Advertisement

Johnson`s reckless,spoilt brat attitude appears to have finally woken people up to what a clueless windbag he really is!:pac:

I don't think he's clueless. What he wants and why differs from what would be good for the UK. The big money men will make out like bandits with a no deal Brexit.

On NI, imagine how prosperous NI would be being the only British area with less restricted trade with the EU?

I don't think he's clueless. What he wants and why differs from what would be good for the UK. The big money men will make out like bandits with a no deal Brexit.

On NI, imagine how prosperous NI would be being the only British area with less restricted trade with the EU?
    You're right, the rich would have got richer and the rest of us would pay the price for their greed and short sightedness .the picture of rich boy JRM lounging on the bench in the HoC was sickening :(

You're right, the rich would have got richer and the rest of us would pay the price for their greed and short sightedness .the picture of rich boy JRM lounging on the bench in the HoC was sickening :(

One bright spot about all this is everyday people come to the fore. I actually fondly remember part of the whole miners strikes/Thatcher period where Irish organisations tried to help out those suffering over in England. Everyday people by way of decency tend to put these political and corporate entities to shame. The likes of Johnson and Rees-Mogg would be the ones profiteering in a crisis and likely will be if it's a no deal Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

He's the personification of why Brexit is a bad idea. The haunted hatstand wants to bring a bit of Victorian discipline back to the British public. A truly awful human being.

Advertisement