Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones school - gender neutral uniforms to be introduced.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I don't understand this preciousness over the privacy of womens bathrooms, like you're in a cubicle anyway it is private. it's as private in a cubicle in a large communal bathroom as it is in a single toilet unit. Public toilets are still public toilets. I've seen women go into mens and I've seen men go into womens (with their young daughters) and the sky hasn't fallen in

The toilet itself is one thing but there is usually a wash room attached where women apply their make up, fuss over their hair, change their tights, have a few words in private with a friend away from the company waiting for them outside, have a laugh or a cry over something. I've seen all those things too. It's just a private space for women. Ironically it's the more girly girls this will affect than those who are in out type of women. And why are women precious for wanting to keep a particular thing whereas trans persons aren't for wanting things their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Thats bizarre. You want to basically hide the existence of trans people and pretend to children they dont exist.
    We hide lots of things from kids, including indulging imaginary characters for years. If they ask, tell them but it's not a concept their worldview is likely to help them process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

happydan wrote: »
    this time next year perhaps there will be a discussion around how absurd it is that my dog,
    who identifies as gender neutral by the way ( based on its behavior and my super modern progressive attitude) , still has to go in the streets and I have to pick up after him / her / it , when theres a perfectly good gender neutral species neutral jacks down the road. its on the way ... lots of dog owners seem to have blurred lines around animals versus humans already, you know the ones ... act like they gave birth to the thing rather than bought it.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭victor8600

Mrsmum wrote: »
    The toilet itself is one thing but there is usually a wash room attached where women apply their make up, fuss over their hair, change their tights, .., have a laugh or a cry over something. And why are women precious for wanting to keep a particular thing whereas trans persons aren't for wanting things their way.

Erm, I do not get you, could you clarify? Trans persons, who may just as well want to fix their makeup or cry over something, are somehow opposed to women doing this sort of stuff?

Another thing women do in bathrooms is pass the time by the way fixing their hair or something if say their friend was running late and they didn't want to sit in a bar by themselves or at a function where they didn't know anybody else. The bathroom can be a great sanctuary at times. And even if you believe only a few women do this, it's normally still a few more than any trans persons about.

• Advertisement

victor8600 wrote: »
    Erm, I do not get you, could you clarify? Trans persons, who may just as well want to fix their makeup or cry over something, are somehow opposed to women doing this sort of stuff?

Making the bathrooms unisex is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,200 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

is_that_so wrote: »
    We hide lots of things from kids, including indulging imaginary characters for years. If they ask, tell them but it's not a concept their worldview is likely to help them process.

there doesn't seem to any issue telling children about certain imaginary people and expect them to process it.

Making the bathrooms unisex is the problem.

how is this relevant in a discussion about a primary school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Seen a lovely documentary on Vice where parents are giving their kids hormone blockers and it's being celebrated and backed up by pseudo doctors with their pseudo Science. The kid in the video doesn't look older than 8. What's the average intelligence of an eight year old, second class in primary school learning the alphabet?

Is what world is this not child abuse?

how is this relevant in a discussion about a primary school?

T Ballet posed a question about why women, grown women would be precious about 'the ladies'. I responded to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Nah. Its despicable that people try to force the idea that trans children dont exist.

I have no doubt they do. But sometimes children also decide that they are the opposite gender and commit to it but it’s just a phase. So as a parent, I’d give the child the freedom to explore that without putting any label on them. I wouldn’t want them to feel like they had to stick to that path if they eventually realised they were happy with their biological sex.

there doesn't seem to any issue telling children about certain imaginary people and expect them to process it.
    They get presents from them, that's really not hard to process at all and it suits everyone to keep it that way for as long as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

happydan wrote: »
    this time next year perhaps there will be a discussion around how absurd it is that my dog,
    who identifies as gender neutral by the way ( based on its behavior and my super modern progressive attitude) , still has to go in the streets and I have to pick up after him / her / it , when theres a perfectly good gender neutral species neutral jacks down the road. its on the way ... lots of dog owners seem to have blurred lines around animals versus humans already, you know the ones ... act like they gave birth to the thing rather than bought it.
    peddlelies wrote: »
    Seen a lovely documentary on Vice where parents are giving their kids hormone blockers and it's being celebrated and backed up by pseudo doctors with their pseudo Science. The kid in the video doesn't look older than 8. What's the average intelligence of an eight year old, second class in primary school learning the alphabet?

Is what world is this not child abuse?

I see we're still going with the slippery slope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

When I was a kid those that didn't make the panel of 25 just stopped playing, a complete lost generation in my eyes that would love to play for fun.

When I was a kid we played football on the street, anyone could play. When I wasn't good enough at soccer (I switched from GAA at around 14/15), i practiced on my own, spending hours drilling a ball against a kerb to get used to controlling it on both feet, chest, head etc, practiced how to curl the ball and how to dribble it and then I started getting my game regularly.

Seems like kids today are taught, if at first you don't get everything handed to you on a plate, give up. Or make up jazzy name for not being good enough and start a movement so that you can be "equal".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

They get presents from them, that's really not hard to process at all and it suits everyone to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Jesus gives presents????????

i think you'll find a lot of people dont agree with that.

MrFresh wrote: »
    I see we're still going with the slippery slope.

There's a reason why you need to hold a child's hand while crossing a busy street or to help them add 2 and 2 together during their homework exercises.

If you think it's an extreme view that very young pre pubescent kids just past being toddlers don't exactly have the rational thinking needed to make decisions that will effect the rest of their lives then perhaps you should take a look at yourself.

Like most things in the US, trends make their way here. The activists in this thread will say "sure it's only bathrooms" but they know exactly what they're hoping for.

It will happen of course, be-mist the cries of "How dare you" and the "Slippery slope" jargon for simply questioning the logic behind such pseudo idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

There's a reason why you need to hold a child's hand while crossing a busy street or to help them add 2 and 2 together during their homework exercises.

If you think it's an extreme view that very young pre pubescent kids just past being toddlers don't exactly have the rational thinking needed to make decisions that will effect the rest of their lives then perhaps you should take a look at yourself.

Like most things in the US, trends make their way here. The activists in this thread will say "sure it's only bathrooms" but they know exactly what they're hoping for.

It will happen of course, be-mist the cries of "How dare you" and the "Slippery slope" jargon for simply questioning the logic behind such pseudo idiocy.

a little kid deciding to wear a skirt a couple of times is a decision that's going to impact the rest of their lives? seriously? there's a big leap from Timmy is wearing a skirt to school cos he likes it to Timmy is now Tina.
    The decision to wear a skirt does not mean Timmy has to/will/will want to have a sex change. In most cases it'll be a phase, he'll be happy at the time and morto on his 21st when there's a picture up on the wall of the local GAA club.
    A skirt is just a skirt, it doesn't have magical powers. Millions of kids go round dressed as Elsa / Spiderman all year round nobody is worried they'll start freezing people/leaping off buildings as a consequence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

When I was a kid we played football on the street, anyone could play. When I wasn't good enough at soccer (I switched from GAA at around 14/15), i practiced on my own, spending hours drilling a ball against a kerb to get used to controlling it on both feet, chest, head etc, practiced how to curl the ball and how to dribble it and then I started getting my game regularly.

Seems like kids today are taught, if at first you don't get everything handed to you on a plate, give up. Or make up jazzy name for not being good enough and start a movement so that you can be "equal".

Actually, that’s not it. There not being a competitive element can allow children to develop their skills playing against other children which is more useful than practicing alone. A friend of mine coaches a children’s football team and is trying to implement this. Other countries who produce better footballers (some with small populations like us) focus on skills rather than competition in primary school children. In a country where the levels of overweight people are rising, including children, shouldn’t we be encouraging more children to take part in sports rather than discouraging them? I’m not anti-competition. There’s a lot of benefits to it. But I think you’re being a tad short-sighted here.

i think you'll find a lot of people dont agree with that.
    Fine by me. Ask many parents and they will gladly get another year out of the fantasy of Christmas! People are free to explore their child's education as they see fit.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    Jesus gives presents????????
    Hello, communion, confirmation? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

And birthdays?

a little kid deciding to wear a skirt a couple of times is a decision that's going to impact the rest of their lives? seriously? there's a big leap from Timmy is wearing a skirt to school cos he likes it to Timmy is now Tina.
    The decision to wear a skirt does not mean Timmy has to/will/will want to have a sex change. In most cases it'll be a phase, he'll be happy at the time and morto on his 21st when there's a picture up on the wall of the local GAA club.
    A skirt is just a skirt, it doesn't have magical powers. Millions of kids go round dressed as Elsa / Spiderman all year round nobody is worried they'll start freezing people/leaping off buildings as a consequence.

I don't disagree with any of that. I was talking about medical intervention specifically.

On the broader topic, I think the age spectrum in primary schools is too young to be introducing things like sex and gender and whatever else to Children. As a parent I wouldn't be thrilled with it.

Out of this discussion for now.

branie2 wrote: »
    And birthdays?
    Yes, anything that rewards feigned good behaviour!

When I was a kid we played football on the street, anyone could play.

Competitively?

MrFresh wrote: »
    Competitively?
    Oh course it was competitive, no mercy shown!

So you think a kid wearing a skirt or using the same restroom as a girl will be a decision that effects the rest of their lives? Can you connect those dots a little?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I don't disagree with any of that. I was talking about medical intervention specifically.

On the broader topic, I think the age spectrum in primary schools is too young to be introducing things like sex and gender and whatever else to Children. As a parent I wouldn't be thrilled with it.

Out of this discussion for now.

I actually think allowing kids to just wear whatever uniform they feel most comfortable is the opposite of introducing the concept of gender to them. If you introduce gender "rules" like boys wear trousers girls wear skirts then you've actually introduced gender as a concept to them

The age spectrum in primary school is 4-12. Girls will start to get their periods from probably 10 onwards maybe as young as 9 in come cases, so the topic of sex isn't really optional for primary school kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,284 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Another thing women do in bathrooms is pass the time by the way fixing their hair or something if say their friend was running late and they didn't want to sit in a bar by themselves or at a function where they didn't know anybody else. The bathroom can be a great sanctuary at times. And even if you believe only a few women do this, it's normally still a few more than any trans persons about.

Yes, woman love the bathroom for a chat/fixing make-up/etc
    If gender neutral bathrooms became the norm they should be an user/security to move people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Surely by this logic even if there was only a few trans people using gender neutral bathrooms then its worth it to have them?

Advertisement