Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones school - gender neutral uniforms to be introduced.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Mrsmum wrote: »
    No. Children should know and respect people, including trans people as individuals when they come across them, not as causes that everything has to resolve around especially given their tiny numbers.
    But you just saud children shouldnt know about trans issues at all which suggests you want an education system that hides their existence away.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Why not just abolish the uniform altogether and let them be whoever they want to be.

_blaaz wrote: »
    Surely it should be a more or less non issue until puberty??

Im indifferent to this rule,their kidz let em wear what they want....ffs theyll grow up quick enough

It is already an issue there are many children who identify as transgender in Ireland already. The Minister even wants law reform on it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/ireland-s-trans-children-i-didn-t-know-what-trans-meant-i-just-felt-that-i-was-a-woman-1.3636882?mode=amp

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/ireland-s-transgender-children-1.2171777?mode=amp

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/lifestyle/healthandlife/identity-politics-why-transgender-children-need-legal-recognition-871956.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

But you just saud children shouldnt know about trans issues at all which suggests you want an education system that hides their existence away.

I'm not suggesting hiding anybody away. I just don't think their numbers merits giving priority to them. Doesn't seem to matter how many girls are uncomfortable sharing toilets with boys so long as a one in the blue moon trans kid, who's more a kid than a trans kid at that age, is the one that's looked after. The school may not even have such a kid but everyone must kowtow to them anyway and traipse off to the unisex bathrooms just in case like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Tbh the laws there seem relatively ok??

Whats the need for reform,dont see whats wrong with needing a heavy medical involvement in the process?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The modern world is all about telling kids whatever they think is ok. You're not allowed tell them they're wrong anymore.

A boy could come out and say he wants to be a tree and the modern reaction is "that's fine! You can be a tree!". In reality it should be "A tree is an inanimate object and you are not a tree."

Kids are impressionable as ****. If a mother told her son as a child that he's a girl, he'd eventually believe it.

Same with sports days/football games with no winners or losers. There is a generation of pansies being reared that will have no idea how to deal with the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

They need to get rid of the board of management in this school, utter gobsh1tes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Same with sports days/football games with no winners or losers. There is a generation of pansies being reared that will have no idea how to deal with the real world.

Those games tend to be for very young kids with the goal of getting them interested in the sport and exercise in general. I've never heard of them past primary school.

Why is it the same people who are demanding "let kids be kids" are the ones insisting kids shouldn't be allowed wear different clothes or play a game with out forcing competition on them?

Thats bizarre. You want to basically hide the existence of trans people and pretend to children they dont exist.

As a percentage of the Irish population they barely do exist. It's like 0.001% of the population or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

What's a pansie?

• Advertisement

MrFresh wrote: »
    Those games tend to be for very young kids with the goal of getting them interested in the sport and exercise in general. I've never heard of them past primary school.

Why is it the same people who are demanding "let kids be kids" are the ones insisting kids shouldn't be allowed wear different clothes or play a game with out forcing competition on them?

Competition gets you interested in sports. Not participation medals. On any school playground you'll see kids racing each other, playing basketball or football to win. Competitiveness is ingrained in people. Whats the point in playing, if not to win.

klaaaz wrote: »
    What's a pansie?

a weak, effeminate, and often cowardly man.

a weak, effeminate, and often cowardly man.

So according to you anyone who is effeminate is a weak coward, no wonder men's health is in the doldrums trying to meet that strict criteria of masculinity.

So according to you anyone who is effeminate is a weak coward, no wonder men's health is in the doldrums trying to meet that strict criteria of masculinity.

No, thats according to the first definition of pansie that came up on google. It also doesn't say that anyone who is effeminate is a weak coward. But you know that and just wanted to twist it to your definition. Well done. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

Suckit wrote: »
    Why not just abolish the uniform altogether and let them be whoever they want to be.
    Getting rid of uniforms altogether is a different arguement. The wearing of uniforms at schools has benefits. Its a leveller and greatly reduces stress levels for pupils in schools.

In the real world of work, adults cannot wear what they want. If a hairy legged man turned up to work in a skirt and heels he would be immediately sent home from most modern workplaces. Most workplaces have some kind of uniform or at least guidelines on what is acceptable to wear. Children wearing uniforms prepares them for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Competition gets you interested in sports. Not participation medals. On any school playground you'll see kids racing each other, playing basketball or football to win. Competitiveness is ingrained in people. Whats the point in playing, if not to win.

Fun? While you're looking up words you should look that up to.

No, thats according to the first definition of pansie that came up on google. It also doesn't say that anyone who is effeminate is a weak coward. But you know that and just wanted to twist it to your definition. Well done. :rolleyes:

So a pansie is not a weak coward after all, just an effeminate person. What's wrong about a person being effeminate?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 happydan

So a pansie is not a weak coward after all, just an effeminate person. What's wrong about a person being effeminate?

nothing, if they are feminine

What's a pansie?

A homophobic term designed to shame men or boys who display any feminine traits

Terry Pratchet

I'm not suggesting hiding anybody away. I just don't think their numbers merits giving priority to them. Doesn't seem to matter how many girls are uncomfortable sharing toilets with boys so long as a one in the blue moon trans kid, who's more a kid than a trans kid at that age, is the one that's looked after. The school may not even have such a kid but everyone must kowtow to them anyway and traipse off to the unisex bathrooms just in case like.

Acknowledging and discussing the existence of trans people is hardly about giving priority. Why are you suggesting trans children dont exist?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Why are you suggesting trans children dont exist?

She isn't. Re-read her post.

She's saying they're rare. Which is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    They need to get rid of the board of management in this school, utter gobsh1tes.

Apparently they don't though because none of the parents at the school actually have a problem with it, just a few brave anonymous phone callers and a rake of people on boards who don't seem to want to live and let live.

Acknowledging and discussing the existence of trans people is hardly about giving priority. Why are you suggesting trans children dont exist?

I'm getting a bit sick of the needs of girls, you know she of the many in numbers, being ridden roughshod over because of the needs of the trans persons, you know they of the rare numbers in any school, never mind in primary schools. There is now and always will be far more girls in that or any school that need the privacy of a girls bathroom than there will ever be transpersons but never mind the girls, everything must be changed for the exception or the possibility of the exception. Far better, imo, to let the toilets the way they are and have an additional closed cubicle for anyone that wants to use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

MrFresh wrote: »
    Fun? While you're looking up words you should look that up to.
    When I was a kid those that didn't make the panel of 25 just stopped playing, a complete lost generation in my eyes that would love to play for fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I'm getting a bit sick of the needs of girls, you know she of the many in numbers, being ridden roughshod over because of the needs of the trans persons, you know they of the rare numbers in any school, never mind in primary schools. There is now and always will be far more girls in that or any school that need the privacy of a girls bathroom than there will ever be transpersons but never mind the girls, everything must be changed for the exception or the possibility of the exception. Far better, imo, to let the toilets the way they are and have an additional closed cubicle for anyone that wants to use that.

From a local paper today:

yjaAqZA.jpg

No-one's privacy is being denied them.

Happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I don't understand this preciousness over the privacy of womens bathrooms, like you're in a cubicle anyway it is private. it's as private in a cubicle in a large communal bathroom as it is in a single toilet unit. Public toilets are still public toilets. I've seen women go into mens and I've seen men go into womens (with their young daughters) and the sky hasn't fallen in

B0jangles wrote: »
    From a local paper today:

yjaAqZA.jpg

No-one's privacy is being denied them.

Happy?

Yeah, that's fairly ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It’s thought that leaving the competition element out of primary school football in other, stronger footballing nations is what helps develop good footballing skills. When the need to win isn’t there, children are more willing to work on developing skills rather than winning at any cost. And when the day comes to compete, they have a good grounding.

Thats ridiculous. You are presenting a case that accomodating the needs of trans pupils take away from other pupils. It doesnt. Anyway yes of course I agree with your suggestion re 3 toilets. Boys/Girls and gender neutral. Great idea.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 happydan

this time next year perhaps there will be a discussion around how absurd it is that my dog,
    who identifies as gender neutral by the way ( based on its behavior and my super modern progressive attitude) , still has to go in the streets and I have to pick up after him / her / it , when theres a perfectly good gender neutral species neutral jacks down the road. its on the way ... lots of dog owners seem to have blurred lines around animals versus humans already, you know the ones ... act like they gave birth to the thing rather than bought it.

Advertisement