Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones school - gender neutral uniforms to be introduced.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    So your school had boys and girls toilets, removed them, and told the kids their gender is irrelevant so they should all use the same toilet?

Somehow I think that's quite a bit different from the little school in the middle of nowhere you went to.

I have a feeling that no matter what the situation with regard to the toilets in my primary school was, it'll never be acceptable to you as comparable to the Shocking Goings On in the school in Greystones.

Next they'll be telling those poor kids that there's only one toilet and they all have to go at the same time.

https://twitter.com/QuotesSimpson/status/703097461942808578

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

So your school had boys and girls toilets, removed them, and told the kids their gender is irrelevant so they should all use the same toilet?

Somehow I think that's quite a bit different from the little school in the middle of nowhere you went to.

do you know that they're going to tell the kids that their gender is irrelevant? or is it just the case that one day the kids will be told to line up to go to the toilets and the teacher will take them down to the toilets and all the kids will go in pick a cubicle do their business get back in the line and go back to their classroom? This is how we did toilet time when I was in school, maybe it's different now but there were boys and girls in my class for junior and snr infants and only one set of boys toilets on the other side of the school, so most teachers just took all of their class to the one set of toilets and we all went in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I've already said I'm fine with someone opening The Gender Neutral School and people pay to send their kids there.

I don't think tax payer funded schools should implement gender neutral ideology, especially when most people don't agree with this ideology.

I've already said I'm fine with someone opening The Gender Neutral School and people pay to send their kids there.

I don't think tax payer funded schools should implement gender neutral ideology, especially when most people don't agree with this ideology.

There is no such thing as a 100% private school in this country and there won't be, constitutionally every child has the right to an education so the state pays x amount towards that, some parents opt to pay a top up by sending their kids to a private school, but the state still funds the baseline amount. To do what you're proposing we would need a referendum to remove the constitutional right to a primary education from children

Edit: maybe the parents of kids who want to discriminate and beat kids up should be forced to take their kids out of the public school system set up their own school then there'll be no bullies left in the "normal" schools - a real hunger games style solution!!

There is no such thing as a 100% private school in this country and there won't be, constitutionally every child has the right to an education so the state pays x amount towards that, some parents opt to pay a top up by sending their kids to a private school, but the state still funds the baseline amount. To do what you're proposing we would need a referendum to remove the constitutional right to a primary education from children

I understand you need to disagree with everything I say, but can you accept the spirit of what I'm saying? Keep ideologies out of public schools. I know we already fail at this. But why make it worse?

• Advertisement

I understand you need to disagree with everything I say, but can you accept the spirit of what I'm saying? Keep ideologies out of public schools. I know we already fail at this. But why make it worse?

I disagree that some young lad wanting to wear a dress (for whatever reason) is an ideology. Looks like I disagreed with you again!

In many cultures men wear skirts and dresses, it’s just not commonplace here except maybe a Scottish clan kilt for wedding. However not the case of I guess guys who want to exercise their inner female then I guess likes of a kilt wouldn’t fit their bill. I remember when I was a teenager in the 70s and Gaybo was presenting the LSS, one guy (who was neither transsexual nor gay) came on wearing a skirt, to make the point that females have it all when it comes to clothing choices and basically he was challenging anyone that dared giggle as the totally macho figure and hairy legs etc of him sat across from Gay, arms defiantly folded.

The thing is, likes of Conchita Wurst of Eurovision or Rory O’Neill aka Panti Bliss can get away with the gender-bending on their theatrical Q style, as can a person with a smart sort of gender neutral appearance can all pull it off. But the person doing so needs to have a sense of style and grooming not to become to butt of even stifled laughter as big sinewy hairy legs on any gender emerging from a dainty style skirt is just going to tickle the giggle centre of anybody’s brain!

I disagree that some young lad wanting to wear a dress (for whatever reason) is an ideology. Looks like I disagreed with you again!

It would be worth your while reading up on gender neutrality movement and postgenderism. They are ideologies. Postgenderism is even part of Wikipedias ideologies series.

They aren't simply about lads wearing dresses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

B0jangles wrote: »
    Nah, they were just toilets. Do gender-neutral policy toilets work differently?

The flusher is on the left instead of the right.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

VicMackey1 wrote: »
    I don't think that is correct! Open to correction though! Maybe someone else can test it.

I type "men can" followed by a space and get

men can have babies
    men can get pregnant
    men can have babies now
    men can have periods
    men can cook

I got mens cancers, mens canvas docksiders, and oddly enough, mens candles.

A window into my life.

• Advertisement

It would be worth your while reading up on gender neutrality movement and postgenderism. They are ideologies. Postgenderism is even part of Wikipedias ideologies series.

They aren't simply about lads wearing dresses.

but it is! the thread is about a school in Greystones allowing girls to wear trousers if they want and boys to wear skirts if they want, at the behest of the children themselves. They're also going to have toilets that are going to be used by boys and girls, which my primary school had in the 80's. None of this is new, none of this is the imposition of an ideology. It's actually pretty practical.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

but it is! the thread is about a school in Greystones allowing girls to wear trousers if they want and boys to wear skirts if they want, at the behest of the children themselves. They're also going to have toilets that are going to be used by boys and girls, which my primary school had in the 80's. None of this is new, none of this is the imposition of an ideology. It's actually pretty practical.

Ha! I just remembered that my school had gender neutral toilets as well, I finished primary school in the 1990(Give it a lash Jack).

We all turned out to be polyamorous gender fluid Pansexuals though. So maybe it was a mistake.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Unfortunately for you, there is not a single political party in the Dail(our parliament) that agrees with you on your ideological conspiracies, your claim of "most people" agreeing with you is fantasy stuff.

Brian? wrote:
    Ha! I just remembered that my school had gender neutral toilets as well, I finished primary school in the 1990(Give it a lash Jack).

Brian? wrote:
    We all turned out to be polyamorous gender fluid Pansexuals though. So maybe it was a mistake.

And to think it was most likely a religious school too (mine was anyway)

I think you're being naive if you don't believe ideologues had a hand in this decision.

OMM 0000 wrote:
    I think you're being naive if you don't believe ideologues had a hand in this decision.

What are you basing that on

klaaaz wrote: »
    Unfortunately for you, there is not a single political party in the Dail(our parliament) that agrees with you on your ideological conspiracies, your claim of "most people" agreeing with you is fantasy stuff.

Most people don't agree with the gender neutral or postgenderism movements. It's fantasy to think they do.

What are you basing that on

These ideologues are taking over educational institutions and HR. There are absolutely tons of articles on this topic if you want to do a bit of googling.

OMM 0000 wrote:
    Most people don't agree with the gender neutral or postgenderism movements. It's fantasy to think they do.

No most people don't think about them at all. It's a fantasy to think that they do.
    If you ask 10 ppl on O'Connell Street about the postgender conspiracy you'll get 80% blank stares

OMM 0000 wrote:
    These ideologues are taking over educational institutions and HR. There are absolutely tons of articles on this topic if you want to do a bit of googling.

I don't need to I work in HR I don't know what you're talking about

• Advertisement

No most people don't think about them at all. It's a fantasy to think that they do.
    If you ask 10 ppl on O'Connell Street about the postgender conspiracy you'll get 80% blank stares

That's the wrong question.

Ask them should we make toilets unisex.

There is already lots of research on this and most women don't want it.

Are you a guy?

I don't need to I work in HR I don't know what you're talking about

I find that hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

You're emotionally upset over the Greystones school allowing a boy who wants to wear a skirt and a girl who wants to wear trousers. It's good that you show emotions but try to think rationally on the situation so it doesn't overwhelm you.

You're emotionally upset over the Greystones school allowing a boy who wants to wear a skirt and a girl who wants to wear trousers. It's good that you show emotions but try to think rationally on the situation so it doesn't overwhelm you.

This is your retort?

You get a little nasty when people prove you wrong. I've seen it a few times before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Yeah, it really does seem that a lot of these reactions are down to some undefinable discomfort with the very idea of boys wearing skirts.
    That gut reaction is then post-rationalized with fantasies about how it's actually part of a wider plan to manipulate society for unspecified (but clearly nefarious) purposes.

I find that young kids just tend to laugh.

They call things exactly as they see them. They haven't developed social decorum and the ability to tell white lies yet.

That's the part that worries me....

OMM 0000 wrote:
    Are you a guy?

Pretty irrelevant but no I'm not. Speaking anecdotally none of the women I know would give 2 sh1ts (lol) about using a unisex toilet, if anything I think unisex toilets would get rid of thd problem if not enough cubicles for the ladies. There's buckets of women out there who will rightly or wrongly nip into the men's of the q for the ladies is mental

OMM 0000 wrote:
    I find that hard to believe.

Ok, I don't know what to tell you then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Pretty irrelevant but no I'm not. Speaking anecdotally none of the women I know would give 2 sh1ts (lol) about using a unisex toilet, if anything I think unisex toilets would get rid of thd problem if not enough cubicles for the ladies. There's buckets of women out there who will rightly or wrongly nip into the men's of the q for the ladies is mental

I don’t ever want to suffer the horror of unisex toilets. I don’t necessarily have an issue with them being provided in addition to rather than in place of the old classic fir/mná toilets.

Only time I’ve ever used a men’s toilet is in my twenties at a night club when there’s a queue at the ladies and I’ve needed to go and there’s no option.

I think you’ll find there’s many women who would feel the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

There's a scene like that in The Full Monty

Advertisement