Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

sporina wrote: »
    cnocbui wrote: »

thanks for that - your v good - spinach and what else have you on there?

Thats sorrel from the patch the spelt cake is sitting on. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,322 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

woodchuck wrote: »
    No problem, this is the recipe I use (doesn't include the homemade salsa though):
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-chicken-fajitas

It is super tasty :)

Finally got around to making this after finally picking up some of the spices I didn't have in the press. Really nice dish and thanks for the inspiration.

550042.JPG

550043.JPG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had a pitta filled with breaded chicken and salad with tarted up mayo, and Aldi skin on fries. My cooking mojo is coming and going these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Eggs, chips and ibérico ham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

It's fun cooking in our house at the moment. Two vegans, a coeliac and two vegetarians, one of which (me) is allergic to nuts, coconut and sesame so can't eat vegan cheese.

So I cooked brown rice and roasted veggies and kidney beans in garlic. Then added a jar of M&S roasted red pepper paste some chillies and coriander to it about 5 minutes before serving.

Went down so well that am probably on cooking duty again tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Shenshen wrote: »
    Spags Bol. Only it was neither spags, nor bol, really. It was conchiglie with a vegetable ragu (slow cooked on Sunday), mushrooms and some quorn mince thrown in. Really tasy, though :D
    ]

Shenshen, your ability to photograph food is award winning blog worthy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Witchie wrote: »
    It's fun cooking in our house at the moment. Two vegans, a coeliac and two vegetarians, one of which (me) is allergic to nuts, coconut and sesame so can't eat vegan cheese.

So I cooked brown rice and roasted veggies and kidney beans in garlic. Then added a jar of M&S roasted red pepper paste some chillies and coriander to it about 5 minutes before serving.

I haven't been to M&S in ages, is the roasted red pepper paste worth getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Funny you say that. I hadn’t been there in ages, as the last time I was there, just after New Years, was a disaster due to Brexit. The shelves were empty, or either full of stuff you’d see in a corner shop. Meal deal shelves were full of bottles of coke and the likes. It was weird.

I popped in over the weekend and was glad to see it seemed to be back to normal. Bought loads of nice stuff. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Shenshen, your ability to photograph food is award winning blog worthy.

:D:D:D
    Thank you! I'm really just playing around with what my phone can do. It's not even particularly new or high-end, but it does take good pictures.

Witchie wrote: »

That's a tough bunch of customers you have there!

If you need an idea for today, I usually make something like this hotpot whenever I need to please both vegans and celiacs (replace the pearl barley with arborrio rice and the butter with oil)

• Advertisement

I was working late last night, so it had to be something really super quick for us.

Leftover lentil and veg chili on puff pastry covered with a generous amount of cheese. I present to you : The Chili Pizza!

550106.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭sporina

:D:D:D
    Thank you! I'm really just playing around with what my phone can do. It's not even particularly new or high-end, but it does take good pictures.

you could become a food stylist.. they make a tonne of money - worked with a few when I was in the food industry..

you could become a food stylist.. they make a tonne of money - worked with a few when I was in the food industry..

I think I saw a documentary once - are they the people who make cardboard and styrofoam look like ice cream and fresh waffles for posters and packaging? :pac:
    Not sure I'd have that in me. I love being able to tuck into the food after I took the pictures :)

I think I saw a documentary once - are they the people who make cardboard and styrofoam look like ice cream and fresh waffles for posters and packaging? :pac:
    Not sure I'd have that in me. I love being able to tuck into the food after I took the pictures :)

no.. they are the people who take photos of food for retail packaging, restaurants, media etc... but they style it beforehand, using various props, and crockery, utensils etc.. or make it look as appealing as possible.. there is quite an art to it.. I actually did a course on it in the UK years ago.. if you like food and photography and are creative then its a handy number..

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Slow cooked a chicken last night, so it was wings drums and thighs with veggies last night
    Today the breasts were used in wraps with lettuce spinach and peri peri sauce (hunky dorys that were picked up for 99c with the lidl plus app)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 541 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Made up a few tapas and salads for the housemates tonight as it’s sunny for a change...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Made up a few tapas and salads for the housemates tonight as it’s sunny for a change...

Your housemates are very lucky!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Recliner

Will you adopt me??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Fcuking hell, that's quite the spread! Can I come too :P

wait a min now.. are you sure thats not a party??? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

It was nice but helped with a generous amount of garlic and chillies.

Thanks for the hot pot recipe Shenshen and that lentil pizza looks the business. Nom.

We had a vegan lentil shepherds pie tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Parsnip and chorizo risotto, and lemon butter cod with colcannon. Both pretty tasty, I have to say, some of the better items on the menus the last two weeks.

pyjtlNF.jpg
    k5mBvtI.jpg

Recliner wrote: »
    Will you adopt me??

Always looking for guinea pigs to try food and give me feedback 🙌

wait a min now.. are you sure thats not a party??? :D

Ha, there’s 7 of us in this house 🥳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Always looking for guinea pigs to try food and give me feedback 🙌

Tell me when and where and I'll be there :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Barbecued pork chop with wedges and roasted buttery, garlicky veg.

20210415-190502.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Meatballs and pasta shards (using up lasagne sheets!)

sammyjo90 wrote: »

This cracked me up :pac: :pac: :pac:

v novel.. shudda taken a pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

:confused::confused: ?

I wanted pasta..i had none except a rake of lasagne sheets in the cupboard. I cooked them slightly to cut them into strips but it didnt quite work,needed a bit longer cooking. Hence, pasta shards!
    If i had cooked them a bit longer it would have worked

This cracked me up :pac: :pac: :pac:

I was trying to think of a word i could describe them as other than "bits" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You could've gone all fancy and called it "Mandilli de Saea" or Silk Handkerchief Pasta which belief it or not is a thing

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You could've gone all fancy and called it "Mandilli de Saea" or Silk Handkerchief Pasta which belief it or not is a thing

Ah damn, that would have totally worked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Chana Aloo (Chickpea and Potato) Masala with naan bread.

• Advertisement

Jambalaya :)

20210416-185417.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

PARlance wrote: »
    Chana Aloo (Chickpea and Potato) Masala with naan bread.

That naan looks good! How'd you make it?

I was working late and got a Donal Skehan recipe email so when I came home I made a few ''Smashburgers'' In my haste I left my phone in work (No Harm) so no picture but worth the small effort !
    https://donalskehan.com/recipes/smashburger-feast/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

Some from the last few days.

Meatballs served the traditional way with tagliatelle! Tried an Instant pot recipe they were really good, kids loved them. And quite quick bar the shaping of the meatball!

550401.jpg

Homemade Beef burgers and sweet potato chips.

550402.jpg

And the easy option of battered cod, chips and mushy peas. Should have done another portion of fish and I was out of tarter sauce :(

550403.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ish66 wrote: »
    I was working late and got a Donal Skehan recipe email so when I came home I made a few ''Smashburgers'' In my haste I left my phone in work (No Harm) so no picture but worth the small effort !
    https://donalskehan.com/recipes/smashburger-feast/

They look great.

Donal Skehan is the one TV chef that I absolutely cannot stand.

I think I finally ran out of patience with him when he was on the telly one night microwaving a bag of rice as part of his recipes.

There's a recipe on his website for potatoes and sausages. In case you ever need to look up a recipe on how to cook potatoes and sausages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

He's not the only one, but he's definitely toward the top of the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

awec wrote: »
    They look great.

I think I finally ran out of patience with him when he was on the telly one night microwaving a bag of rice as part of his recipes.

There's a recipe on his website for potatoes and sausages. In case you ever need to look up a recipe on how to cook potatoes and sausages.

He never worked in a professional kitchen. He's essentially a face for TV.

He never worked in a professional kitchen. He's essentially a face for TV.
    But in fairness he can cook and is chatty for the camera, Thats all the TV lords want.

dmc17 wrote: »
    That naan looks good! How'd you make it?

Thanks, have tried a few variations and this was by far the best result, surprisingly simple receipe; 400g 00 Flour, 240g Water and 8g flour makes approx 6 naan. I brushed half with wild garlic butter once out of the oven and left the other half plain.

I used my ooni but you can use the oven up to max with the grill/broiler on.

Video might be handier for method;
    https://youtu.be/sH99_IGh0ic

awec wrote: »
    They look great.

I fully acknowledge that I've a very unhealthy hatred for him. It just can't be helped, I'm afraid.

I'd be fairly quiet and would keep my feelings to myself.... Queue my wife getting me his book with recipes in it one Christmas. The marriage hasn't been the same since :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm not a particular fan of any TV chef but I just cannot understand they hate that most of them generate amongst many people.

Personally, I think it's the food that matters most. I accept that most viewers and TV producers seem to think that personality, lifestyle and looks are more important than the food.

With regard to DS, the bits of his shows that I've seen usually leave me thinking that the recipes would be tasty and would work. I'd eat his food.

PARlance wrote: »
    Thanks, have tried a few variations and this was by far the best result, surprisingly simple receipe; 400g 00 Flour, 240g Water and 8g flour makes approx 6 naan. I brushed half with wild garlic butter once out of the oven and left the other half plain.

I used my ooni but you can use the oven up to max with the grill/broiler on.

Video might be handier for method;
    https://youtu.be/sH99_IGh0ic

Thanks. I have an Ooni, so no excuses! :D

dmc17 wrote: »
    Thanks. I have an Ooni, so no excuses! :D

I didn't weigh out the balls but I imagine I got 5 at ~110g... Didn't use rolling pin method, just shaped and stretched as with a pizza... found the dough very easy to work with and got them nice and thin at about 12inch.

Keep an eye on them in the Ooni, I flipped them over after about 20 seconds and they were done in less than a minute.

Pizza.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

Chicken rendang curry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement