Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Thats basically schnitzel. Squirt some lemon on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭Be right back

Salmon with spinach, peas and creamy pasta. Yum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

buffalo seitan burger.

rINftkAl.jpg

Curried lentil stew, red pepper baba ghanoush, nigella roast tomato, pumpkin seed & date salsa

KLDm2B9l.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

buffalo seitan burger.

Curried lentil stew, red pepper baba ghanoush, nigella roast tomato, pumpkin seed & date salsa

TA, that looks amazing, well done!
    I love the idea of roasted tomato with nigella seeds. Two of my favourite things and have never tried them together.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Decided Christmas is over.

Fish fingers, chips and tinned peas for Sunday ,and enjoyed every bite. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Home made pizzas with olives, peppers and leftover antipasti meats.

IMG-7467.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Excellent idea and impressive execution. Might have a shot tomorrow. How did you make the base?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use a Jamie Oliver recipe- I halve it and it makes 4 large pizza bases. I like a crisp base so I usually prick mine with a fork and bake it for 3 minutes before adding the sauce and toppings.

1kg strong white flour
    1 level tablespoon fine sea salt
    2 x 7g sachets of dried yeast
    1 tablespoon caster sugar
    4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    650ml lukewarm water

Edited to add - that's the full amount I posted which makes 8 lge pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Prawn Jalfrezi with pilau rice, all made from scratch.

IMG-20200104-183112.jpg

Out of shot is a side plate of chips, because why not, sure it's a Saturday night. Might even have a beer later!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Couple of our New Year, let’s try healthier eating dinners......

Fish Cakes with Kale and Lemon & Rosemary Bechamel Sauce

8-AD9-F56-B-4-C5-F-4-B04-AE6-C-A026-F484354-F.jpg

Chicken Ramon Noodle Soup

06-EC3-A2-C-BA02-4-E00-80-D7-8-CD50728-CDBA.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I got a copy of The Roasting Tin for Christmas and have set myself a challenge of choosing one recipe a week to get through!

Today we had the Chinese 5 spice pork chops with sesame roasted sweet potato cubes and pak choi. Very simple and very tasty (if a little dry without soy sauce) kinda like a Chinese roast :o

This is the book for anyone interested..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roasting-Tin-Simple-Dish-Dinners/dp/1910931519/ref=asc_df_1910931519/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310856639426&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3902850213145585367&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007850&hvtargid=pla-418222817678&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

499083.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

c9iMFSb.jpg?1

Honey-orange-garlic prawns with rice. Modified slightly from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Roast beef, roasted veg, yummy gravy and mash with way too much Kerry gold!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

We date everything that goes in to the freezer - found two boxes of a curry base sauce yesterday that were getting on a bit (August) so yesterday's dinner was a paneer and coconut curry; and todays is a lamb rogan jhosh

There's a significant speed advantage to doing a huge pot of base when you have the time - I could do with a larger stockpot just for that as the recipe scales perfectly

The lamb still takes a long time to cook, but you just need to brown it and then stew it low it with water and a few spices (cinnamon, star anise, bay leaf, pepper did for me) for a few hours and then throw in the curry base when the water gets low.

7QFH2yM.jpg?1

Final day before going back to work, and since I didn't get to eat Christmas or New Years dinners (flu) I decided on a roast for todays dinner. Devoured the chicken skin crispy as it came out of the oven but before it rested. First time doing the chicken with some water at the base of the roasting tin, came out nice and moist despite me leaving in slightly longer than I should have.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Chilli peanut beef with red peppers sweetcorn and spring onions

X6jrQGF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Reciepe please?

Also would like the recipe. I'm not mad on peppers but I'll replace those with something else, because that looks ****ing tasty.

Chicken and chorizo stew with chickpeas - and plenty of butter on the spuds :)

IMG-7487.jpg

Pepper, mushroom, pesto, goats cheese pasta bake.

Second recipe of the year from the roasting tin cook book. Was tasty but feel like it was a bit basic. Like a recipe was really necessary almost... Handy one for weekday though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Pepper, mushroom, pesto, goats cheese pasta bake.

Second recipe of the year from the roasting tin cook book. Was tasty but feel like it was a bit basic. Like a recipe was really necessary almost... Handy one for weekday though!

I like the sound of that, I might try something similar this week. Pasta bakes are generally very simple in my experience - I can't even imagine what you could do to one to make it complex :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Serious hearty soup weather out here in the wild Atlantic.. what I named "stewp" ..
    A part of a bacon joint... couple of big carrots, roughly chopped.. onion ditto and a tin of mixed beans...

Utterly perfect winter fare. Ate it as stew then today mashed and chopped to s thick warming soup. Warmed the very cockles of the heart and enough for the morrow...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Reciepe please?

I'm not the OP but think this is also from one of the roasting tin books, and the one I have liked the most from those I have tried so far. Have attached a picture from the book, it is really easy to do.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I like the sound of that, I might try something similar this week. Pasta bakes are generally very simple in my experience - I can't even imagine what you could do to one to make it complex :D

This was my first one :o to be fair it wasn’t awful and it got better the next day for lunch actually!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Wanted a simple dinner yesterday. Scrambled eggs, deadly. Got some Annascaul black pudding when down in Kerry over Christmas. Sliced that up nice and big. Bit of mixed green leaves. Found a pack of mini avocado. Halved, and placed under the pudding. Sounds a bit hickey mick, but it was fab. Needed a bit of something soft, like coleslaw, but I wasn't in the mood for heading out to the siopa.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

8 of us had homemade fishcakes, roasted veg and garlic potatoes. Dry January may have been broken! Christmas pudding for dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Definitely was the weather for it today, did a stew in the instant pot last night.

45mins on high pressure, and it was some of the most tender beef ever. The stewing beef just melted in the mouth.

Picture taken just before I plastered it with chef brown sauce. :)

IMG-20200113-220010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had baked cod and salad with one of those Aldi grain pouch things for dinner last night. I love those pouches, so quick and versatile. I always add some additional veg and a squeeze of lemon or lime.

499998.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Back to batch cooking yesterday - threw a big lamb stew into the slow cooker at lunch time on high and it was ready for dinner. Lots of veg (potato, carrots, sweet potato, celery, turnip, onion, garlic) with stock, worcester, tinned tomatoes, thyme and some lovely honey wholegrain mustard. Must take a picture this evening if I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Final day before going back to work, and since I didn't get to eat Christmas or New Years dinners (flu) I decided on a roast for todays dinner. Devoured the chicken skin crispy as it came out of the oven but before it rested. First time doing the chicken with some water at the base of the roasting tin, came out nice and moist despite me leaving in slightly longer than I should have.

Looks delicious, is that a whole roast garlic on the side?

Advertisement