Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Never took a pic but, Sunday we realised we had an abundance of peppers and courgettes that were in danger of going off so I roasted them all in a dish with garlic, a tin of tomatoes, herbs and balsamic to make a ratatouille. Put this in the fridge. Yesterday cooked fresh tagliatelle with the ratatouille and added goat's cheese and pine nuts. It was unbelievable.
    For tonight, I've already roasted chicken breasts with smoked paprika, thyme, tomato and Worcestershire sauce. They may find their way in to a burrito!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Beef Wellington with a Zinfandel gravy. Small grating of black truffle in the duxelle.

IMG-20200112-181500.jpg
    IMG-20200112-181541.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

Nal I'm actually drooling looking at your Beef Wellington.

Must actually make some been a good while since I made one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Looks delicious, is that a whole roast garlic on the side?

For sure. Can't beat the roast gooey garlic.

Got given a Joule sous vide machine for Christmas (girlfriend knows whats good for her, she gets to eat it), finally got around to testing it on one of those Lidl rib roasts since they were on sale (cut in half to make two ~18oz steaks). Super consistent rare steak (obviously can do it to your liking), really tasty, really juicy.

If you're into steaks, get one of these babies.

gansF4O.jpg?3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The Nal wrote: »
    Beef Wellington with a Zinfandel gravy. Small grating of black truffle in the duxelle.

**** me, that looks delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Continuing our healthy January, this looks a bit of a mess but was very tasty.....

Bang Bang Chicken

8145-F897-049-B-4-B4-D-A2-AE-960602-AB6-A69.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bangbangchicken_82544

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I usually make cottage pie with 5% fat mince but today I used 10% and it tasted so much nicer :)

IMG-7519.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Fish n chips.

Part of the Italian Chippers for Pieta House Initiative.

Stuffed.

20200115-182844.jpg

**** me, that looks delicious.

It is yeah. And easy to make. Just needs a little bit of time over the course of an afternoon. It's basically Gordon Ramseys recipe step by step.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Thats basically schnitzel. Squirt some lemon on.

Mmmmmm, schnitzel. Yummy. Did a load of chicken this way last weekend. Used the leftover pieces to do chicken Katsu curry on Tuesday. Lovely.

• Advertisement

Meat Feast Pizza

91088057-E4-BA-4-D95-AA94-2-B3279-CEB864.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Still going strong and working my way through The Roasting Tin recipes!

Last week we had Chinese spiced duck breasts with wild rice and crispy sesame kale. I’ve never cooked duck at home before and I overdid it. It was still moist, just not very pink. This was really easy and really tasty! Never knew you could cook rice in a roasting tin :D

For lunches this week I made the salmon topped with pesto and extra pine nuts and giant cous cous with cherry tomatoes. All roasted and lovely and sweet.

Tonight we had chicken thighs with chick peas, chorizo and tomato and had it with sour dough slices (the Tesco loaf is *chefs kiss*).

Have to say so far the recipes are fairly basic for the most part but all quite tasty. The woman who wrote it is a food stylist but not a professional chef and I think that’s quite obvious in the recipes. Nothing is difficult or something you might make for a special occasion. And nothing ever turns out like it looks in the book :D Using the book is at least making me move a bit out of the usual comfort zone mid week meals. And because it’s all cooked in one tin it means not having mountains of washing up which is a real bonus! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

A basic okonomiyaki. I have requested oyakadon, for later in the week. Haven't had it for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

tampopo wrote: »
    A basic okonomiyaki. I have requested oyakadon, for later in the week. Haven't had it for ages.

I had to google that!
    Looks lovely do you make the okonomiyaki from scratch and what is white drizzle over the top. (google images)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Space Dog

ellejay wrote: »
    I had to google that!
    Looks lovely do you make the okonomiyaki from scratch and what is white drizzle over the top. (google images)

The white drizzle is usually mayo.
    IMO Japanese mayo is the best mayo btw :)

Southern Fired Chicken.

Basically this recipe.
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/buttermilk-fried-chicken

The crunchiest chicken you'll ever eat. Easy too.

1.png
    2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

ellejay wrote: »
    I had to google that!

It is, a basic pancake mix with whatever you're having yourself mixed in. With an egg on top. Or not. Whatever you feel like. Also noodles. Anything, really. Then flip. Yep, it can be quite dry so lots of mayo and tonkatsu sauce (worcestishire) {how do you spell that, anyway?}

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

For sure. Can't beat the roast gooey garlic.

Got given a Joule sous vide machine for Christmas (girlfriend knows whats good for her, she gets to eat it), finally got around to testing it on one of those Lidl rib roasts since they were on sale (cut in half to make two ~18oz steaks). Super consistent rare steak (obviously can do it to your liking), really tasty, really juicy.

If you're into steaks, get one of these babies.

Looks amazing! How did you colour/crust it after the sous vide?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Oops! Sorry - didnt mean to quote the pic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Chinese New Year yesterday.

Small bowls of rice porridge with fried garlic, pickled chillies, ginger, wild leeks, coriander, sesame oil and soysauce.

Crispy fragrant duck in pancakes with sour salted plum sauce, cucumber and wild leeks.

Pork hock slow cooked and finished in a dark, sweet, spicy, sticky, bitter sauce served with steamed kai lan and Thai fragrant rice.

Lemon sorbet.

• Advertisement

We had friends over last night so it was a toss between Burns Night or Chinese New Year. As one of them is a veggie, we went with Chinese.

Steamed Dim Sum and rice balls for starters (shop bought). We had too much so we were all too stuffed to have much for main course. Which is probably for the best.....

My first and probably last time to cook Tofu. What a mess. You have to press it to get the water out and that’s where it started falling apart.

Had it with veg and rice noodles and it was nothing special.

Chinese Steamed Sponge Cake for pud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had stuffed pork steak tonight. I took the photo before I drowned it in gravy and apple sauce.

IMG-7539.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Moroccan style turkey meatballs with couscous, cooked in my new favourite gadget the instant pot.

The meatballs themselves were made from Turkey mince, turkey sausages, panko breadcrumbs and egg, stick the mixture in the fridge covered with clingfilm for an hour, and then assemble the balls.

IMG-20200126-210902.jpg

The rest was easy enough, and minimum ingredients needed.

Chopped onion and a couple of peeled and chopped carrots, throw them into the instant pot and use the sauté function, fry them off for 3 mins or so until they start to soften, then a couple of tablespoons of harissa paste goes in, and about a quarter of a cup of water.

In goes your meatballs on top of the veg, and throw in a couple of tins of crushed tomatoes.

Set the pot to 12mins on pressure, quick release the steam and they're done.

The recipe called for chopped basil to be added at this stage, I had none so was going to substitute with corriander, but forgot about it (until I'm typing this out:D) but I felt they didn't need them regardless.

IMG-20200127-175905.jpg

Served with couscous.

They were absolutely delicious. Definitely making these again.

M&S lightly dusted plaice with Airfryer potato cubes and home made tartar sauce.

IMG-7542.jpg

Chicken cacciatore with white bean mash and garlic green beans

BA67270-F-35-E7-42-E1-947-D-F52-BD980-E444.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chicken_cacciatori_with_31318

Vegetarian tonight with the wife.

Chickpea and potato curry, (Aloo Chana Masala) once again, cooked in the instant pot.

Gorgeous.

IMG-20200129-182739.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Butcher was nice and quiet today so was willing to ask them to bone a pork shoulder for me without feeling like I was holding up the entire shop. Actually ended up doing the dice for me to the size I wanted and all; so the biggest pot of something like chilli verde, except for no tomatillos, is on now.

Last night we had barbecued pork chops with garlic granules, sea salt and crushed black pepper.

IMG-7550.jpg

Tonight we had meatballs - they're under that ton of sauce

IMG-7558.jpg

Stir fried frog legs in salt and chilli.

Like mini chicken wings.

IMG-20200201-183801.jpg

Yes I was in an Asian restaurant, I wouldn't even know where to start or buy frogs legs in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had falafel, hummus, lettuce, pita and home made cucumber and radish pickles.

Advertisement