Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Be right back

Salmon and risotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Still on soup weather... today's soup of the day was home made chicken noodle..chicken breast , onion, lentils. Added in a packet of noodles and it defeated the dank wet weather totally..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Lasagna last night. Tried the Lidl Italian pre-made bechamel in a carton as I was feeling lazy not making my own. The guilt won. I didn't enjoy it as much as homemade. It was decent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Swampy wrote: »
    Lasagna last night. Tried the Lidl Italian pre-made bechamel in a carton as I was feeling lazy not making my own. The guilt won. I didn't enjoy it as much as homemade. It was decent though.

There's a tiny amount of cooking things I'll cheat on; and bechamel is one of them. Then again I posted my food-service lasagne clone on this thread a while ago so it is possible I just prefer it cheap and nasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Lamb Kofta Kebabs, Carrot Salad and Minted Yoghurt

F19-B7939-9-B2-F-4-C8-A-9966-23026-D1-B727-A.jpg

• Advertisement

Dim Sum! As in, leftovers from the course :)

20200222-210415-copy-600x1067.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Vegetarian tonight with the better half - Tarka Dal cooked in the instant pot..

Cheap, no mad ingredients needed, and really really good, really authentic Indian restaurant taste to it. Currys are one dish I don't particularly miss meat in tbh.

IMG-20200222-183159.jpg

Didn't bother with any naan or poppadoms etc, just some pilau rice and a good scattering of corriander over the top. Beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Christmas Dinner! Ham, turkey, stuffing, gravy, mash, roasties, parsnips, carrots and broccoli, with a nice Malborough sauvignon blanc, and a home made lemon drizzle cake with cream and burnt caramel sauce.

Sounds divine!

This evening we had roast potatoes {with onion, garlic and peppers. No carrots in da house. Oh, and four Brussels sprouts I dug out of the bottom shelf o' the fridge,} and with that I had some roast turkey, a breast I got in Dunnes the other day, approaching its Best Before date. Was sorely tempted to come on here for advice on baking both simultaneously (one 190, the other,220-240). Anyway, it worked out grand.
    The other week, I'd requested oyakadon, but I'd to rush out for a meeting (Feb 4th) and wasn't there for the preparation. When I got back I didn't see the rice, so I just nuked the chicken and veg. I think I had 2 slices of bread with it. And there was no egg, which is the whole point of that dish. aka, 'chicken and egg', or 'mother and daughter'. Itadakimasu!

I bought 4 lemons the other day, would love to redo my lemon drizzle of a couple of years ago. Somehow, mysteriously, my recipe booklet has somehow disappeared from the house. Curiouser and curiouser...

tampopo wrote: »
    Sounds divine!

This evening we had roast potatoes {with onion, garlic and peppers. No carrots in da house. Oh, and four Brussels sprouts I dug out of the bottom shelf o' the fridge,} and with that I had some roast turkey, a breast I got in Dunnes the other day, approaching its Best Before date. Was sorely tempted to come on here for advice on baking both simultaneously (one 190, the other,220-240). Anyway, it worked out grand.
    The other week, I'd requested oyakadon, but I'd to rush out for a meeting (Feb 4th) and wasn't there for the preparation. When I got back I didn't see the rice, so I just nuked the chicken and veg. I think I had 2 slices of bread with it. And there was no egg, which is the whole point of that dish. aka, 'chicken and egg', or 'mother and daughter'. Itadakimasu!

I bought 4 lemons the other day, would love to redo my lemon drizzle of a couple of years ago. Somehow, mysteriously, my recipe booklet has somehow disappeared from the house. Curiouser and curiouser...

I still remember your lemon drizzle from the last meet up in Sweetmans a good few years ago. That’s a sad loss.

Sunday... carrots, sprout, a large boiled potato, and chicken breast chunks, fried. Gravy ( granules) and cranberry sauce. Wanted stuffing but the shop I get food from do not have the mix...

Not as good at the SV ready meal I usually have on Sunday but none came this week.. :rolleyes:But sustaining

Sweet was a Promavel soya dessert from Holland and Barrett..Headed for a Kit Kat soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Yesterday, we had Imam Bayildi with tabouleh and some fresh focaccia. Really simple, but slow-cooking the aubergines in the oven for 2 hours just gave the dish an amazing flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

First Sunday roast in a while.
    Roast rib of beef on the bone (Lidl - very nice), very rare.
    Roast potatoes.
    Roast carrots, parsnips, shallots and garlic.
    Steamed broccoli tips. (These are new to me - some sort of nice tender leaf from the broccoli plant, apparently).
    Yorkshire pudding (used soya milk - they didn't rise properly so weren't really Yorkshire puddings but were still very nice).
    Gravy.
    Salsa Verde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

We went out for the Sunday roast yesterday and my usual place has decided to make their yorkshire's about 5 times bigger. Glorious.

cdcc2204-ecb0-47fc-a62c-c630e8ce02b4.jpg

A Yorkshire Pudding with a side of roast beef dinner. Our type of food heaven! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Must make them like this some day! Love Yorkshire pudding

giant_yorkshire_roast_dinner.jpg?itok=77eAzsyf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I did a marinated pork loin in the oven for 40mins, along with a baked spud and a Mexican style bean salad. Though it was gorgeous, like really really good, I do regret not deseeding the chillies, because holy moly, there was almost steam coming out of my ears, (and I'm a man who likes spice) that chilli was a particularly viscous wee bastard. :D

IMG-20200224-190916.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Quick veggie lasagne. I had some frozen tomato sauce leftover, added some mushrooms, and (Italians please look away now) used cottage cheese instead of bechamel. So with fresh lasagne sheets from Lidl, this whole thing took only 30 minutes to make.

3HqNLgx.jpg

Yesterday's dinner was:

* Pancake (thin)
    * Caramelised red onion relish
    * Goats cheese
    * Beetroot
    * Salad

It was AMAZING

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

First Sunday roast in a while.
    Roast rib of beef on the bone (Lidl - very nice), very rare.
    Roast potatoes.
    Roast carrots, parsnips, shallots and garlic.
    Steamed broccoli tips. (These are new to me - some sort of nice tender leaf from the broccoli plant, apparently).
    Yorkshire pudding (used soya milk - they didn't rise properly so weren't really Yorkshire puddings but were still very nice).
    Gravy.
    Salsa Verde.

How did you cook it? I picked one up last night to have as a sunday roast. Would normally have chicken so beef would be very rare. And speaking of rare :pac: I'd be more a medium man when it comes to beef, so hopefully using a probe would help me acheive that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

BaZmO* wrote: »
    How did you cook it? I picked one up last night to have as a sunday roast. Would normally have chicken so beef would be very rare. And speking of rare :pac: I'd be more a medium man when it comes to beef, so hopefully using a probe would helf me acheive that.

This is very handy

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/roast-timer

• Advertisement

How did you cook it? I picked one up last night to have as a sunday roast. Would normally have chicken so beef would be very rare. And speaking of rare :pac: I'd be more a medium man when it comes to beef, so hopefully using a probe would help me acheive that.

I did it in a very low oven (80c) for about an hour and then in a very hot oven for 30 minutes which worked great for rare and tender beef.

I'd just follow a reliable roasting guide and cook it to your liking

Chicken soup for the comfort of it on a stormy day. Home made of course and each batch better than the last.

Made the Lidl Rib Roast yesterday. T'was lovely.

20mins at 220c and then 50mins at 160c. Internal temp was 70c. Lovely and pink and juicy without being rare. It was a lot pinker than is shown in the picture due to the gravy.

Made Yorkshire Puddings too, but for some reason they didn't rise. Normally have no trouble with them.

504394.jpg

Made Yorkshire Puddings too, but for some reason they didn't rise. Normally have no trouble with them.
    ]

You caught it off me!
    I was blaming the soya milk. What's your excuse.
    Yours, like mine, still look like they were tasty - just not Yorkshire Puddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Looks like the oven wasn't hot enough. 210C minimum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Yesterday I popped a whole chicken upside down in the slow cooker with a little water and a bulb of garlic - cloves separated but not peeled. A few hours later I removed the chicken whole, seasoned it with salt and pepper and olive oil and threw it into the oven on a trivet of thinly sliced potatoes and roasted for 25 minutes.

I reserved the garlic to serve with the chicken and made gravy from the garlicky juices in the slow cooker.

Served with roast carrots. Really delicious meal and very little hassle.

You caught it off me!
    I was blaming the soya milk. What's your excuse.
    Yours, like mine, still look like they were tasty - just not Yorkshire Puddings.
    The Nal wrote: »
    Looks like the oven wasn't hot enough. 210C minimum.

Not sure what happened tbh. The oven was at its hottest setting 240c
    It's the top oven/grill so it's never as hot as the main oven but that shouldn't matter as that's the oven I always make them it.

I'm guessing that I didn't leave the oil in the oven long enough but it was piping hot. I reduced the qty of the recipe by half as I was only making 4 (recipe was for 10) so maybe I didn't put enough batter in each tray. Not sure tbh but they did taste lovely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Made the Lidl Rib Roast yesterday. T'was lovely.

20mins at 220c and then 50mins at 160c. Internal temp was 70c. Lovely and pink and juicy without being rare. It was a lot pinker than is shown in the picture due to the gravy.

I would do serious damage there with a fresh Brennans Batch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Wtf ? wrote: »
    I would do serious damage there with a fresh Brennans Batch :D

I don't understand this at all? You need to add bread to this meal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

Some really beautiful delicious dishes there, making me hungry at 1.45am :D

Tonight was a quick dinner, well not really a dinner, it was one of those Chicago loaded cheese pizza's from Dunnes/Tesco. I just tried them recently and I have to say I find them much nicer than the goodfellas.

Tomorrow's dinner will be, fried liver, fried onions and chips, or maybe mash, I'll see tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it after seeing all the yummy food on here. Great thread.

Advertisement