Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Takeaway pizza while we watched the rugby.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Comerman wrote: »
    Can I ask for the recipe for the Tom's? I remember an old lady giving them to the family about 45 years ago 😳 and they were fantastic

No problem, this is the recipe I use:
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/stuffed-tomatoes-lamb-mince-dill-rice

I use beef mince instead of lamb though, just because I find lamb mince hard to find.

They're super tasty!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

An overcooked pork chop with mash and creamed spinach with mustard.
    The sky turned black, heard thunder and ran to get clothes in from outside before the hail and sleet hit, and in that minute or so, the pork chop overcooked :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Doner Kebab Pizza that lasted me 2 nights... Heaven!

rskgPiJl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Haven't posted here in a while namely because hadn't been cooking anything I hadn't posted before, but coming into the better weather I made a bit of a spring/early summer dinner today.

Buttermilk sirraccha chicken thigh fillets, baked potato, bean salad and a lovely chopped salad made from gem lettuce, cucumber, scallion tomato, corn and coriander. .. It hit the spot!

IMG-20210411-171023.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

McMurphy wrote: »
    Haven't posted here in a while namely because hadn't been cooking anything I hadn't posted before, but coming into the better weather I made a bit of a spring/early summer dinner today.

Buttermilk sirraccha chicken thigh fillets, baked potato, bean salad and a lovely chopped salad made from gem lettuce, cucumber, scallion tomato, corn and coriander. .. It hit the spot!

Looks amazing!
    Please post more, you're making me hungry :D

cnocbui wrote: »

Pork loin, spinach and Aldi skin on fries, with garlic, olives, capers and red wine.

Brilliant and delicious looking!
    That's a great recipe idea.

Can pork loin be sliced and cooked on the pan quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭sporina

looks great - the thighs are the best part.. recipe please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Roast lamb, roasted veg, home made chips with rosemary and mint sauce. Gravy after.

m87N73f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Slow cooked beef cheeks with whole roasted celeriac and mash

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I made filo pastry parcels, with a salmon, leak and cream cheese filling. Served with mash and peas on the side.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Homemade cod and chips.

Also made a mint sauce and a tartar sauce to go with it. Lovely.

attachment.php?attachmentid=549875&d=1618170548

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭con747

Toulouse wrote: »
    Slow cooked beef cheeks with whole roasted celeriac and mash

That beef and gravy looks perfect for a pie. On my to do list.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Brilliant and delicious looking!
    That's a great recipe idea.

Can pork loin be sliced and cooked on the pan quickly?

Thanks.

Yes, it's an amazing cut of meat. That was only about 1/5th of the whole loin.

After cooking the meat. I removed it from the pan, and then gently and slowly cooked the garlic in the pan in some butter, then removed it, put the heat to high then drizlled red wine into the pan so it flash reduced - a bit at a time, then reduced the heat, put the garlic, olives and capers in and heated them for a moment and then poured over the meat, then a grind of pepper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

This was Saturday's dinner : Chana masala, matter paneer, garlic and coriander naan

549903.jpg

I would say that I think this may actually be my absolute favourite dish at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Shenshen wrote: »
    This was Saturday's dinner : Chana masala, matter paneer, garlic and coriander naan

I would say that I think this may actually be my absolute favourite dish at the moment.

Chana Aloo has been top of the charts in our house this year. Think it's the same dish but with the addition of potatoes. (Cubed, fried/browned in advance, set aside and then added after tomatoes)

Started making it in an effort to eat less meat and it's a firm favourite at this stage.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Shenshen wrote: »

Is there a recipe to be had please and thank you!?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

conor_ie wrote: »

Shenshen may have a better one but will post if you're stuck for inspiration for this evening.

Quite relaxing YouTube video included for the method
    https://youtu.be/RYnwYjGefPE

Serves 4

2 large potatos cubed
    1 medium onion finely chopped

Dry spices
    Half teaspoon of cumin seeds
    1 teaspoon mild chilli powder
    1 teason tumeric
    2 teaspoons curry powder

Half teaspoon of Garam Masala to finish

Fresh spices
    1 thumb of ginger grated
    2-3 cloves of garlic grated
    1 chilli finely chopped

Can of tomatoes
    Can of chickpeas drained and washed
    Some sugar, optional
    Fresh coriander

We also throw some spinach in at the end.

If you have it, some dried mango powder (amchur) gives channa massala a nice sour tang.

conor_ie wrote: »

There is, for all of it.

CHANA MASALA

Ingredients :

1 small red onion, chopped
    generous tsp of garlic ginger puree, or 2 cloves of garlic and a 2cm piece of ginger, grated
    1/2 stick of cinnamon
    3 cardamom pods
    1 black cardamom pod (can be tricky to get, but it gives a lovely smoky flavour)
    3 cloves
    1 tbsp of dried fenugreek leaves
    1 tsp of cumin seeds
    1 tsp of ground coriander
    1/2 tsp of turmeric
    1 tsp of garam masala
    chili to taste, i used ca 1 tsp

2/3 tin of tomatoes (the other 1/3 went into the matter paneer)
    1 tin of chickpeas

For the paste, fry the onion in some oil along with the whole spices. Once the onions go soft, add the ginger and garlic. Then add in the ground spices. Add the tomatoes and keep frying and stirring. After a few minutes, you should be able to see the oil separating from the paste. Add in the chickpeas and a bit of water until the consistency it to your liking. Season with a bit of salt.

MATTER PANEER

Ingredients :

1 small red onion, chopped
    generous tsp of garlic ginger puree, or 2 cloves of garlic and a 2cm piece of ginger, grated
    1 tsp of mustard seeds
    1 tsp of ground coriander
    1/2 tsp of turmeric
    1/2 tsp of chili
    1 tsp of garam masala

ca 200g of paneer
    frozen peas (no idea how many, I didn't weigh how much I put in - as much as you like, really!)
    1/3 tin of tomatoes
    150ml of cream

Cube the paneer, and fry it a little in a dry pan, just to colour it a bit.
    Fry the onion, garlic and ginger with the mustard seeds until the onion is soft. Add the ground spices, then add the tinned tomatoes. Let it simmer until the oil splits, then add the cream. Add in the cubed paneer and the frozen peas and keep simmering until the peas are done.

NAAN

Ingredients :

1 cup of flour (I used chapati flour, but any plain flour will work, too)
    2 - 3 tbsp of plain yoghurt
    1 tsp of salt
    1 tsp of baking powder

For the topping :
    2 cloves of garlic, chopped very finely
    some fresh coriander, chopped

Heat your oven as high as it will go. I usually place a cast iron pan inside to heat up and bake the naans in there.

Mix the flour with the salt and baking powder. Add the yoghurt a tbsp at the time, mixing it in until you have a smooth dough that's just a little sticky. Knead it for a few minutes, then cover with a bit of oil and let it rest under a tea towel for ca 30 minutes.
    Separate the dough into 6 pieces (fewer, if you like large naans) and roll them out to ca 2mm thickness. Sprinkle with a little water, then spread some of the chopped garlic and coriander on.

Take the pan out of the oven and place the first naan in. Return to the oven for ca 2 minutes. It should bubble up and get a little brown.
    Take the pan out, take the naan with a spatula or kitchen tongs and place it in a bowl. Spread a bit of ghee or butter on it to keep it soft, then cover the bowl with a plate. Repeat with all the naans you've rolled out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 507 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Small bit of Indian food tonight for the housemates.

Aloo Gobi, Dhansak with Tofu and chickpea and potato Madras.

Naan filled with nigella seeds and brushed with garlic oil and potato and pea filled samosas, served with mango chutney and soy Raita.

Washed down with a can of Jaipur.

in contrast to all the lovely din dins here.. I had liver tonight - ekk.. solely for nutritional purposes.. the plan is to try have it once a week but I dunno... I struggled with it tbh.. and I don't know how I could disguise the taste - any suggestions? had it with mushrooms and assorted veg.. lots of cracked pepper

sporina wrote: »
    in contrast to all the lovely din dins here.. I had liver tonight - ekk.. solely for nutritional purposes.. the plan is to try have it once a week but I dunno... I struggled with it tbh.. and I don't know how I could disguise the taste - any suggestions? had it with mushrooms and assorted veg.. lots of cracked pepper

Duck liver paté from Aldi is both delicious and cheep. One of my staples. I spread it on Spelt cakes. It's not paté de frois gras, but it's close. Think I might manage a photo tomorrow.

For supper I did the pork loin, oven fries and spinach again. This time I added cream to the sauce bit and it was even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Rotisserie chicken, potatoes (placed in a tray below the rotisserie chicken) and salad

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Liver, rashers and onions in a thick gravy, with mashed potatoes. Top stuff.

Cut the liver into smallish pieces and put into boiling water to "seal" the outside. I like my liver well cooked, though pink inside sems to be fashionable.

Here's a recipe:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/liver_and_bacon_with_94841

Lamb's liver is supposed to have the mildest flavour. I've never done it, but soaking for a couple of hours in milk is said to weaken the taste.

Alternatively, you could make fagg0ts with liver and heart.
    ETA Here's a link using just liver: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/5417/ffagodau-cymru.aspx

Spags Bol. Only it was neither spags, nor bol, really. It was conchiglie with a vegetable ragu (slow cooked on Sunday), mushrooms and some quorn mince thrown in. Really tasy, though :D

549995.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made some battered fish over the weekend, Prawns and cut up Cod bites. Had it with some green beans and roasted new potatoes. Beautiful.

That's the 3 year olds hand coming in for the greens. Weird child loves all kinds of veg. :confused: Not really complaining though! :D

I also made a Lasagne that was lovely. A new recipe that included a homemade pesto that was added to the Bechamel Sauce. Tasted amazing but I think I'll need to adjust the amount of liquid that went into the dish as it came out a bit too sloppy for my liking. I think I'll make it again over the weekend and adjust the quantities.

549997.JPG

sporina wrote: »

Duck-Pate.jpg

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »

thanks for that - your v good - spinach and what else have you on there?

Advertisement