Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin TV360

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Delta2113

This is obviously down to RTE not allowing fast forward. I checked and you can still fast forward with recordings from RTE. If they start that then I'm out.

Very little on RTE2 has the replay function - again down to RTE and to think we pay them a licence fee to 'sabotage' private company products - sickening.

So it's like Horizon again thanks to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shamrock 64

Just checked and you can still fast forward on Rte 1+1 ,and rte news on channel 200.So you could record your progs on Rte1+1 and fast forward ,also rte news on channel 200 still allows it ,so you could record the one o'clock news or six o'clock news and fast forward them instead..Agree it was probably RTE who did it, they also only went for the HD channels.

I tried RTE1 HD and recorded and could fast forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Recordings are not affected, only replay ( RTE 1+1 and RTE news now don't have replay).
    Fast forward was blocked on the old horizon box for RTE on Replay so I guess they found out it wasn't on the new box and threw their toys out of the pram again.

RTE think they are protecting RTE Player.
    They won't give them Home and Away for the player either on Virgin boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

awec wrote: »
    Think you must have had it set up wrong or dodgy equipment, Sky's picture quality is better than Virgin's.

I have to completely disagree with you on this one!

My horizon picture and sound quality is FAR superior than Sky's.

When I switched to sky and saw the picture quality i was immediately concerned as the sharpness, clarity, colour etc was nowhere near as good as before. This was on an expensive 46" tv. The installer looked at me and said sorry this is as good as it gets with sky but u can ring them and see what they say.

I did that and the crap they gave me. Told me the picture quality will improve over time etc, i was almost laughing at the rubbish. They checked all signal str etc and said everything was good.

That night when we had to raise the volume on the tv to x3 times the level and the harder of hearing still couldn't make out the dialogue as clear as the night before, i knew this crap had to go. I changed every setting on the box in audio & video and only made it worse. I have a denon receiver and good speakers so i know about fiddling with settings so its not that either.

I was rarely so happy when we got our sound and pic back, sky are a bunch of gangsters selling a substandard product. I have no idea how people like it! I enjoy sky sports but only when it looks and sounds good.

don't know if anyone uses the Virgin Media app on their phone/tablet but I just noticed that The SKY Movies channels are streaming on the app now. pretty good addition if you're a movies subscriber.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Pity they cant do the same for Sky Sports Racing.

Film 4 HD does not have replay only Film 4 SD - bit annoying. Be very, very strange if this is down to Channel 4 but then look at RTE with no fast forwarding rule in replay tv.

I watch the Premier League football on Sunday and would then switch over to RTE1 and replay the news and just skip any stories I'm not interested in. You can't do that now so you just record and then skip the stories and ads. etc.

I'm actually watching less RTE News because you can't skip forward so during the week I might just replay the first few minutes and then that's me done but before I would forward through and If an interesting story caught my eye I would watch it.

I will not be forced to watch something because you just cant skip forward. This is 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

Anyone using the new TV app while at work where they use VPN based in the US?

• Advertisement

deravarra wrote: »
    Anyone using the new TV app while at work where they use VPN based in the US?

Tried it just now. It works on US VPN.

califano wrote: »
    Tried it just now. It works on US VPN.

I work in one of those multinationals with a US based vpn and the older app always said something like "you must be in ireland to use this app".

More often than not, most of the TV programmes were restricted from viewing when outside my wifi network.

If the new one allows me to watch everything, then I would consider going back. But they would also want to raise the limit of 2 devices registered.

You will never be able to watch everything and that's down to the Broadcasters.

I thought they raised it to more that 2 devices but may be wrong. Yeah licensing is a pain the way some channels are restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I recently upgraded from Horizon to 360.

The difference is massive. The ease of use, and the speed, of the user system, is, I was going to say incredible, but really it isn't. It is what it should have always been.

But it is a marked improvement on the Horizon box. Having the profiles, sure its a bit of a gimmick but it actually works and makes thing easier. The kids love it as it is now 'their' TV system.

I have found some issues trying to record to the second box, particularly from the app but even directly from the controller.

If you get multi-room it is really odd that they have the exact same remote for all boxes, rather than some difference. A simple colour change, shape change, something, would have made sense. I just put a sticker on mine to mark it out. Not a major issue I agree but should have been done.

Picture quality seems to be a bit better, but that is purely subjective on my part. What does seem better is we are suffering far less digitisation issues. We were having serious issues on the likes of CNN (given the US election we have been watching that quite a lot recently) which seem to have largely disappeared.

Overall, very glad to have upgraded. Yes it costs a bit more, but in reality, the horizon system was not fit for purpose and was not user friendly so in essence it was more a PITA and thus a total waste of money.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I recently upgraded from Horizon to 360.

The difference is massive. The ease of use, and the speed, of the user system, is, I was going to say incredible, but really it isn't. It is what it should have always been.

But it is a marked improvement on the Horizon box. Having the profiles, sure its a bit of a gimmick but it actually works and makes thing easier. The kids love it as it is now 'their' TV system.

I have found some issues trying to record to the second box, particularly from the app but even directly from the controller.

If you get multi-room it is really odd that they have the exact same remote for all boxes, rather than some difference. A simple colour change, shape change, something, would have made sense. I just put a sticker on mine to mark it out. Not a major issue I agree but should have been done.

Picture quality seems to be a bit better, but that is purely subjective on my part. What does seem better is we are suffering far less digitisation issues. We were having serious issues on the likes of CNN (given the US election we have been watching that quite a lot recently) which seem to have largely disappeared.

Overall, very glad to have upgraded. Yes it costs a bit more, but in reality, the horizon system was not fit for purpose and was not user friendly so in essence it was more a PITA and thus a total waste of money.

Yeah I agree with you entirely its a breath of frest air compared to Horizon but really what were getting now we should have already in the 20th century!. The main box needs to be powered on to set a recording and not in standby(One thing that Horizon could do that this cant!). There is certain exceptions I think. For instance if the thing you need to record is next week then as long as the main box is switched on before next week then your recording will take effect. If your recording in the 2nd box is in 20 minutes then if your main box is not switched on before this time the recording wont take.

The live pause only works for a few short minutes on the second box its an annoyance but I suppose you can live with that.

Yes it would be a good idea to have a colour code difference at least with the multiroom remote. Most people dont have multiroom so I suppose they cared less about that.

That comment about remote is really one of the most bizzare things Ive read today... like, thats not a thing thats done anywhere.. you cant just make up new things and be upset its not a thing that was done...

That comment about remote is really one of the most bizzare things Ive read today... like, thats not a thing thats done anywhere.. you cant just make up new things and be upset its not a thing that was done...

exactly, who ever thought that innovation or new ideas were a good thing!

exactly, who ever thought that innovation or new ideas were a good thing!

The design, cost, implementation, logistics and distribution for no specific gain that cant be achieved with a sticker or bit of tape is why noone does it.

"The live pause only works for a few short minutes on the second box its an annoyance but I suppose you can live with that."

Press record and then pause it and then it's just like the main box. Not ideal but it works.

• Advertisement

The design, cost, implementation, logistics and distribution for no specific gain that cant be achieved with a sticker or bit of tape is why noone does it.

I understand why they didn't do it, but they are charging a monthly fee so while I agree they didn't need to do it, it would be helpful and not something too difficult to achieve.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    You will never be able to watch everything and that's down to the Broadcasters.

No issues with any channel watched through the Sky Q app.

deravarra wrote: »
    No issues with any channel watched through the Sky Q app.

- You can't stream Itv3 or Itv 4 at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I understand why they didn't do it, but they are charging a monthly fee so while I agree they didn't need to do it, it would be helpful and not something too difficult to achieve.

I've had sky multi room for years, both remotes are identical can't say there's ever been a problem. Getting a remote moulded in a different colour would be quite difficult to achieve.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - You can't stream Itv3 or Itv 4 at all.

Well, I couldn't think of any reason I would want to :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

mollser wrote: »
    After a reset of the 360 box by switching off at the back, my remote has unpaired itself from Samsung tv. Worked perfectly up to yesterday, have tried holding "OK" and 0 button for 10+ seconds as recommended, and tried the pairing mechanism in settings, just won't work.

This is for volume and on/off.

Any other tips?

Thx!

This is happening to me now. Tried taking the batteries out for 30 seconds no luck. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 highpath

Hi All

Got the 360 box yesterday. Just one but very major issue. The red colours are not right. I have tried changing all the resolution settings on the box and played around with the tv settings but cant get to anywhere near the quality on the old horizon box. Any ideas...would reboot help?

TIA

Highpath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭mollser

Loughc wrote: »
    This is happening to me now. Tried taking the batteries out for 30 seconds no luck. Any ideas?

Hi Loughc, no we haven't been able to resolve this, factory reset didn't work either. I thought it was just us. I was going to contact them but need to build up my patience for that!

TV manufacturer info gets passed down through the HDMI.

Is there anything in your setup like old HDMI cables or plugging into something else etc that may be stopping the manufacturer code from being passed correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

mollser wrote: »
    Hi Loughc, no we haven't been able to resolve this, factory reset didn't work either. I thought it was just us. I was going to contact them but need to build up my patience for that!

I was able to fix mine. I had a Christmas decoration blocking the TV signal :O

Advertisement