Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin TV360

• 04-03-2020 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a mail from Virgin about doing the trial for the new V6 box. I know it was asked plenty of times on the Virgin Forum when they had reps here. I get there are people with issues with Virgin but at least its progress.
    Post edited by icdg on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

<_<

>_>

[removes GBX from trial list]

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

This is very slow I cancelled by Horizon 2 years ago, so assume they won't ask me. Hope this is a good box, would got back to them if they got it right as I can't get sky

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kitsy13

@GBX any chance of pics of the new box, first impressions etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Got the same email and applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

An installer told me they are planing to release the box to the general public next month(April). He said there is a new modem been released as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Looking like I'll be waiting for the general release - I wasn't selected to do the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Bodan wrote: »
    An installer told me they are planing to release the box to the general public next month(April). He said there is a new modem been released as well.

-Earliest be out is June -maybe later due to Coronavirus.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    -Earliest be out is June -maybe later due to Coronavirus.

Not being smart - Do you have a source, or just speculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭GBX

GBX wrote: »
    Looking like I'll be waiting for the general release - I wasn't selected to do the trial.

I didnt read the message - only due to find out on Monday if Im selected for the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 britie

Any update on this trial? Supposed to hear back on Monday but no word. Understandable in the current climate but it would be a good time to test and get feedback as their will be a lot of TV watched over the next couple of months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Got talking to a VM engineer today and asked him when to expect the rollout. He said early July but the trials would be starting soon.

Got a call from Virgin today about the trial to arrange an engineer installation appointment but told her I'd prefer a self instal which she was happy to switch me to. She said I'll get an email when the box ships next week sometime.

Calibos wrote: »
    Got a call from Virgin today about the trial to arrange an engineer installation appointment but told her I'd prefer a self instal which she was happy to switch me to. She said I'll get an email when the box ships next week sometime.

Finally some movement, would love to trial it myself, but I handed back my horizon box a good while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Is the V6 purely for TV or is it also the router like Horizon is ?

towger wrote: »
    Is the V6 purely for TV or is it also the router like Horizon is ?

I'd imagine they learned the hard way that it's best to keep them separate. But not 100% sure... anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Purely for Tv 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I never had a problem with the Wi-Fi from the Horizon box but I eventually caved in and took the external BB router so that I wouldn't have any delays in getting the new box.

Are there still people out there getting their Wi-Fi from the Horizon unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

Any update on this? has anyone actually gotten the v6 box to try out? or rumours on when it will be launched?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Hi ya

have it in about 2 weeks much quicker interface menu much better scrolls through very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Hi ya wrote: »
    have it in about 2 weeks much quicker interface menu much better scrolls through very quickly

How's the picture quality? Is it the same Horizon interface just a bit quicker or something new?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭georgina...c

Ye just a bit quicker than horizon interface, great quality. I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Hi ya

Picture quality for me has always been better from a satellite feed than virgin media .
    i just think that's VM signal is not as good as satellite signal .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hi ya wrote: »

To be fair my father had an 11 year old bush set top box that was quicker than the horizon box.
    The horizon box is junk. Rubbish plain and simple.
    Missed recordings, sound disappearing, lag on interface. I could go on but I won't as I'm with sky now and it actually works...all the time.

To the people with the new box.... has VM outlined a timetable for the trial i.e. have they told you that they'll be looking for feedback in late May/early/mid June and did they mention a planned date for the full rollout?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

If you take the Horizon box out of Eco mode, it's a lot better.
    VM engineer showed me. Boots now in 2-3 seconds, alot more responsive.

FaganJr wrote: »
    If you take the Horizon box out of Eco mode, it's a lot better.
    VM engineer showed me. Boots now in 2-3 seconds, alot more responsive.

During a chat on WhatsApp, I was told by a VM support person that the menus were faster if you did not select Eco mode. I pointed out that eco mode was a setting for power usage on standby and that that setting should make no difference when the machine was booted up but they stuck to their guns.

The menus do seem to be slower for a period after you boot up the box from eco mode but after a couple of minutes, there's no difference that I could detect.

The reason I use eco mode is because when powered off, the box uses 31W on 'high', 19W on 'low' and less than 1W in 'eco mode'. I think 'low' is there because you can't go down as far as eco mode if the Horizon box is supporting phone or wi-fi. It still takes about three minutes to start from 'low' so if you have the external phone/wi-fi box, there's no reason whatsoever to use the 'low' setting because the box will take as long to boot as in eco mode but it will use more power in standby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Really disappointed I didnt get selected for the trial. I have bitched and moaned enough about it over the years!!!

If you google Virgin Media 360 quite a bit of info comes up on it. Here is the official VM Link https://www.virginmedia.ie/virgintv360support/

Also see this video of it in action
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjJwiaG4Ij0

Just got a call from Virgin that my install is tomorrow. Asked for self instal but they changed it back to engineer install because we are still on a Cisco 3925 Modem/router. That was through choice As I have it bridged to an ASUS router for 10 years and it still did the job of a modem reliably. Presumably the V6 box needs 360mbits+ for the on demand stuff and our Cisco 3925 and 250mnit BB package dont cut the mustard any more.

Would I be right in saying that the new modem is bridgeable? The Engineer wont bridge it for me will he. i’ll have to do that myself after he leaves? Also will I be on IP6 now and have to Ring to ask to be put back on IP4?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Calibos wrote: »
    Just got a call from Virgin that my install is tomorrow. Asked for self instal but they changed it back to engineer install because we are still on a Cisco 3925 Modem/router. That was through choice As I have it bridged to an ASUS router for 10 years and it still did the job of a modem reliably. Presumably the V6 box needs 360mbits+ for the on demand stuff and our Cisco 3925 and 250mnit BB package dont cut the mustard any more.

Would I be right in saying that the new modem is bridgeable? The Engineer wont bridge it for me will he. i’ll have to do that myself after he leaves? Also will I be on IP6 now and have to Ring to ask to be put back on IP4?

Im not sure why you would sign up for a trial when you clearly have a non-standard, non-supported setup. Engineer will leave and you'll just go and change everything, bridge the modem and all sorts of shannigans and then you're absolutely useless for testing purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Have it on fairly good authority that the sales teams in VM have been briefed on the box. However theyre not at liberty to reveal when it will be launched en masse to the general customer base. I would imagine soon though if the sales teams have been briefed on the box.

Advertisement