Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More proof of Healy Rae gombeenism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

bijapos wrote: »
    The problem is that people like yourself totally underestimate people like Michael H-R, they are usually written off as country buffoons coming up to Dublin and being totally confused by the "big schmoke". Its an image they love to project and nurture.
    George W Bush pulled that stunt for 8 years. While he certainly wasn't a Grade A student, he liked to portray the 'country bumpkin good ol American boy' image. His father was the president of America ffs! He was far from humble average joe kinda guy, he was a spoiled rich kid.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Given everything else that's happened then I think resigning is a bit much for abuse of the phone lines?
    What else do you think should happen or do you think he should resign too? And how likely is that given that as someone else said, he was nowhere near Dublin anyway so nobody could prove it?
    No. If it's proved that he anything to do with it (which I'd imagine it'd be nigh on impossible to do) he should be sacked, never mind resign. Does it really show good judgement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

People on here may recall a few posts I made in this thead:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056289400

I mentioned the huge difficulties I had finding a job, (I couldn't), I then mentioned the huge difficulties I had finding 3K of a LOAN, for seed capital for my business that I decided to start up after being unable to find a job.

I talked about the irrational and insane public policies that tell a person to shut up and stay on 188 Euro a week, (just under 10K a year), rather than faciliate that person to create a position of employment for themselves and save the state 10K a year in social welfare payments, and up to another 10K in income tax and pay related taxtation. I talked about the massive and soul shaking frustration that I came to associate with this dog pound like situation that I found myself in, where the answer everywehere was, "sorry, we have no fund's to lend to help any small business starting up"...

So we have no money for small businesses, but we have 2,636 Euro of taxpayers money to pay for a gombeen arséhole politician to be elected onto an RTE celebrity show???

Outraged, disgusted, close to throwing up over this laptop, are not strong enough words for how I feel after reading this. This is nothing less than sick. Leave me and my gripe above out of it if you wish, I'm sure there are people in hospitals waiting for operations or kids in schools who are having Special Needs Assistant's taken away from them, who this kind of money would make a very real difference to.

When are the people of Ireland going to wake up to this, what does someone in public office actually have to do, to get a reaction from the Irish people??? This Healy Rae toss pot has a brass neck to such an extent, that he doesn't even see the wrong in any of this, he think's it's grand because ultimately the money (or some of it), goes to charity!!!

The man must have no shame, I hope Karma takes care of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

^^Post of the day right there^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

The problem is, as Michael Healy-Rae stated that he was on the programme for the whole week, and can thus prove he was nowhere near Dublin, let alone Dail Eireann for the week. Its has obviously been arranged by someone who knows him but if it was his father he is long gone out of the Dail. I'm afraid the only people who can do anything here are the voters of South Kerry

The problem is that people like yourself totally underestimate people like Michael H-R, they are usually written off as country buffoons coming up to Dublin and being totally confused by the "big schmoke". Its an image they love to project and nurture. It works both ways: some people believe them to be idiots and thus incapable of installing, or arranging for installation of a basic computer programme. They are intelligent people, they would not be where they are if it were not for some cunning and intelligence.

Secondly, they can nurture this image at home in Kerry with the whole "them against us" and "look at what the media are writing about us, we are the only people who ye can trust".

Its essentially a win-win situation for them living off peoples gullibility.

All well and good, except that MHR clearly wasn't the target of that comment. As you say yourself, he was nowhere near Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

^^Post of the day right there^^
    if a person were to spend that kind of money on phonecalls that were not of importance, such as these phone ins were, working for someone in the private sector, it would be firing on the spot, and rightly so

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »
    if a person were to spend that kind of money on phonecalls that were not of importance, such as these phone ins were, working for someone in the private sector, it would be firing on the spot, and rightly so

But not before being handed the bill for the incident and rightly so. You'd be lucky if the Gardai were not notified or a solicitor was brought in as you had cost the company serious money and could have put the company in serious danger through you breaching your terms & conditions of employment by abusing company assets, (in the event that 2,636 Euro could not be recovered from you).

But not before being handed the bill for the incident and rightly so. You'd be lucky if the Gardai were not notified or a solicitor was brought in as you had cost the company serious money and could have put the company in serious danger through you breaching your terms & conditions of employment by abusing company assets, (in the event that 2,636 Euro could not be recovered from you).
    And all that's assuming that a private company would be dumb enough to not block premium rate numbers of course.

The problem is, as Michael Healy-Rae stated that he was on the programme for the whole week, and can thus prove he was nowhere near Dublin, let alone Dail Eireann for the week. Its has obviously been arranged by someone who knows him but if it was his father he is long gone out of the Dail. I'm afraid the only people who can do anything here are the voters of South Kerry

The problem is that people like yourself totally underestimate people like Michael H-R, they are usually written off as country buffoons coming up to Dublin and being totally confused by the "big schmoke". Its an image they love to project and nurture. It works both ways: some people believe them to be idiots and thus incapable of installing, or arranging for installation of a basic computer programme. They are intelligent people, they would not be where they are if it were not for some cunning and intelligence.

Secondly, they can nurture this image at home in Kerry with the whole "them against us" and "look at what the media are writing about us, we are the only people who ye can trust".

Its essentially a win-win situation for them living off peoples gullibility.
    i dont have issues with mhr, in fact i like him, have nothing against him, i know that he was not near dublin at time of calls, and that he was taking part in programme, but i do have issues with the person who picked up the phone and made that number of calls on behalf of the tax payer, this is terrible, as a matter of fact the taxpayers were making their won calls to vote for who ever they wished to win this show, who gave permession for this nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

lastlaugh wrote: »
    I was listening to that earlier and I couldn't believe he was actually being serious.

Is he a complete idiot or what? :confused:

The idiot's are the people that vote these mountain men in..

BaZmO* wrote: »
    And all that's assuming that a private company would be dumb enough to not block premium rate numbers of course.

You just wouldn't dare do it in the first place, it might not be just your own job that goes down, with businesses being so delicate at the moment, you could put a company out of business with a 2,636 Euro phone bill FRAUD. But of course, in Lenister House, there isn't an invoice that is rejected or handing back to the person who generated it, the little system just keep's stamping away, with their "for the file" mentality.

Of course, the people of South Kerry are clealy too fúcking stupid to see that the 500,000 people on the dole, that's equally enough distributed around the country, the company closures, the hospital ward closures, the SNA's being taken out of primary schools, all down to a lack of public funds, this affects them in their constituency as much as it does anyone else in the country living in any other constituency.

They don't seem to have the intelligence to work out that when one of their own p*sses 2,636 Euro all over the place, or causes that to happen, then this is 2,636 Euro that is taken out of the system that is unavailable to run schools, hospitals, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The quotes from both Healy-Rae's indicate that neither of them know how the calls happened.

The Oireachtas ought now to publish the call logs to tell us where internally the calls came from.

If they're lying, then this is a bigger issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I enjoyed how he refused to condemn the waste of taxpayers money, and how he also didn't have time to speak to his Dad about it, yet managed to go on 3(?) radio programs. Evasive answering at its best.

i dont have issues with mhr, in fact i like him, have nothing against him, i know that he was not near dublin at time of calls, and that he was taking part in programme, but i do have issues with the person who picked up the phone and made that number of calls on behalf of the tax payer, this is terrible, as a matter of fact the taxpayers were making their won calls to vote for who ever they wished to win this show, who gave permession for this nonsense

But as for gombeen knuckle dragging gobshíte Healy-Rae being the ONLY PERSON who stood to benefit from this incident, by selfishly seeking to raise his profile, costing the taxpayer 2,636 Euro, you can't make the connection between Healy-Rae, who has clearly conspired with some person who is presently unknown, to make these calls, which has cost the taxpayer 2,636 Euro, you don't have any issue there, no???

Healy-Rae, who has clearly conspired with some person who is presently unknown, to make these calls, which has cost the taxpayer 2,636 Euro,
    That's the thing though, even if Healy-Rae has nothing to do with it, there's someone in government buildings that took it upon themselves to make these phone calls and at the very least that person(s) needs to be taken to task.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's the thing though, even if Healy-Rae has nothing to do with it, there's someone in government buildings that took it upon themselves to make these phone calls and at the very least that person(s) needs to be taken to FIRED.
    FYP

But as for gombeen knuckle dragging gobshíte Healy-Rae being the ONLY PERSON who stood to benefit from this incident, by selfishly seeking to raise his profile, costing the taxpayer 2,636 Euro, you can't make the connection between Healy-Rae, who has clearly conspired with some person who is presently unknown, to make these calls, which has cost the taxpayer 2,636 Euro, you don't have any issue there, no???
    i do have a big issue with the person who spent badly needed money on something that was not important, and was not of benefit to the taxpayer, it makes me sick

The whole sway and tone here yet again is: "It wasn't me, I know nothing, nothing to do with me, let's move on"...

This is a fraud, a fraud upon the taxpayer, why have Gardai not been called in to investigate this???

And also, this happened back in 1007, it's now half way into 2011, why a 4 year delay in discovering this???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Nijmegen wrote: »
    The quotes from both Healy-Rae's indicate that neither of them know how the calls happened.

Even if the above is the truth, the fact that Michael Healy-Rae refuses to admit that it was wrong is indictment enough of his inability to treat the taxpayer with anything but contempt.

i do have a big issue with the person who spent badly needed money on something that was not important, and was not of benefit to the taxpayer, it makes me sick

But Healy Rae is trying to put distance between this incident and himself, but he is clearly the only person who stood to benefit from over 3,000 phone calls being made to a preemium rate number from Leinster House. It should not be tolerated for one second, that he can even dare to try to tell taxpayers that because he was up on a mountain somewhere, that it has nothing to do with him.

This kind of retarded logic might be well received by the people down in his South Kerry constituency, but it doesn't wash with me for one second.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Even if the above is the truth, the fact that Michael Healy-Rae refuses to admit that it was wrong is indictment enough of his inability to treat the taxpayer with anything but contempt.
    the healy raes are in business themselves, with shop, pub and machinery business, i wonder would they accept their staff spending this kind of money on phonecalls on no importance to their businesses at their expense, without their permission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Medu

Tip of the iceberg...

One of their canvassers caught stealing postal votes from people at the last election.
    Paying people go vote for them at the last election, and even driving them there.
    They are TD's, councillors, and involved in road construction. Jackie was holding the country to ransom to get the roads for south kerry, and the Healy Rae's construction company was awarded the 2nd most contracts, in monetary terms.(I guess been the highest would of been taking it too far- even for them, although the difference between 1st/2nd was very small).

So it's much more than gombeenism, it's closer to organised crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The whole sway and tone here yet again is: "It wasn't me, I know nothing, nothing to do with me, let's move on"...

This is a fraud, a fraud upon the taxpayer, why have Gardai not been called in to investigate this???

And also, this happened back in 1007, it's now half way into 2011, why a 4 year delay in discovering this???

This is a good point. Why wasn't this flagged internally? Why did it again take a newspaper, most likely with a massively expensive, freedom of information request to get this information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

motherfcukers the pair of them!! they deserve nothing less than having multiple shades of sh1te beat out of them and at the very least have every aspect of their political AND business affairs investigated thoroughly and then we'll talk about appropriate punishments

it always amazes me how stupid these people are when they're caught out and even crazier how we all sit here reading about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭dell1211

AFAIK the charity does not get all of the cost of the telephone call, RTE gets a cut and so do a few other companies so his argument that its okay because it went to charity is a load of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

whoopdedoo wrote: »
    motherfcukers the pair of them!! they deserve nothing less than having multiple shades of sh1te beat out of them and at the very least have every aspect of their political AND business affairs investigated thoroughly and then we'll talk about appropriate punishments

it always amazes me how stupid these people are when they're caught out and even crazier how we all sit here reading about it!

Given it took four years for us to hear about this, I bet they were arrogant enough to think it would never come out.

Tbh, I blame the several thousand simpletons in Kerry who vote for them in every election, even more than I blame the Healy Raes' themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

Given it took four years for us to hear about this, I bet they were arrogant enough to think it would never come out.

Tbh, I blame the several thousand simpletons in Kerry who vote for them in every election, even more than I blame the Healy Raes' themselves.

let's take the fight to the people of Kerry then and see what they think of their elected officials trying to take them for complete mugs

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056312422

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

whoopdedoo wrote: »
    let's take the fight to the people of Kerry then and see what they think of their elected officials trying to take them for complete mugs

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056312422

Good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

It's pretty funny tbh, like something out of Father Ted.:D

Typically Irish!

It’s funny how irate people are getting at this, should we really be surprised..? A load of media storm and it will all blow over..
    As much as I cannot stand the Healy Raes I commend them for playing the Irish system so well and getting some good deals for the people of Kerry, I wish my town had someone like them! this is small fry compared to what some of our political leaders are up to and the scams that are in operation in Dublin, don’t hate the players hate the game! The Healy Ray's are fairly cute and fair to them for having the balls, there are far bigger gombeens in Leinster house and the Civil Service that are a much bigger embarrassment to this country and a lot more crooked imo but they talk with suave accents and talk the talk so people buy into it
    This is Ireland, corruption is rife and it will not change for another generation, live with or move to a foreign country :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But it's not fraud.

There is no offence in making calls to a premium number from the number it was made from.

Is it wrong, of course it is.
    Should the person involved be sacked, of course they should.
    Should these number be blocked, of course they should.

But at the end of the day noting criminal happened so you do not need the guards involved.

I despise MHR and told him as much when I meet him on the campaign trail.

It is a really pity that Tom Sheehan the incumbent FG TD is South Kerry was such a plank that he could not keep his seat and leave MHR out in the cold.

Advertisement