Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Lets be honest we are not going to need as many teachers in 10 or 20 years time anyway

For kids over 13 distance learning will be the future

Classes will be done online via bots through corporations like Microsoft/Google etc

Same for lecturers

Primary might need

Even if this absolute garbage was a true evaluation of education and not a bitter figment of a deluded imagination, there are still 2 decades of needing teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Even if this absolute garbage was a true evaluation of education and not a bitter figment of a deluded imagination, there are still 2 decades of needing teachers.

It is years away but government need to be pro active and let 50 year old+ teachers finish up and fast track the 20 year+ teachers that have been subbing last few years

Give those kids permanent jobs, retire old at risk ones

I have friend teachers in late 20s still not permanent, we need them now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It is years away but government need to be pro active and let 50 year old+ teachers finish up and fast track the 20 year+ teachers that have been subbing last few years

Give those kids permanent jobs, retire old at risk ones

I have friend teachers in late 20s still not permanent, we need them now

And what do the teachers in their 20s do in 10 or 20 years? Scrap heap for them then so. Not a great career choice going by your logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

BattleCorp wrote: »
    And what do the teachers in their 20s do in 10 or 20 years? Scrap heap for them then so. Not a great career choice going by your logic.

I would not engage in this debate. Teacher supply always an issue. The union membership have been happy to see two pay scales and won't strike over. CIDs have improved the situation but not enough.
    The department is in no rush to improve the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Scoondal wrote: »
    Your anger is telling.
    I engaged totally with my son's school. for 2 months. After signing-up and logging in to various websites, I found that the learning content that was uploaded was of a very poor quality.

I hope my anger is telling. I engaged fully with goggle classroom. Didn't go near zoom for reasons I already outlined. We were not advised to use it.
    I never found a platform that I was totally comfortable with or properly supported technically. Contacted zoom customer service in March. They replied July.
    If you felt the material was poor then you should complain directly to the school ? What do think you are achieving here ? All my issues I complained to my school zoom and the department.
    As to the tales of parents doing 18 hour days. Give me a break. We all did our best and they are Your children!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Exactly

Cop on ffs

Teachers need to get real now

PPE up like doctors, nurses, guards, dentists, supermarket workers etc that have been infront of the virus since the beginning

Get yer face mask, visor, goggles on and face it like we did

Telling someone to man up due to their rational fear for themselves or loved one is not great advice.

I seem to recall that 8000 health care workers got infected and accounted for 32% of all of our cases. That was with PPE.

This was entirely preventable if the HSE faced the risks properly. They didn’t and presumed it wasn’t airborne with devastating consequences for some who contracted it.

So the plan is to take a hit for society then end up closing down anyway. It’s a ****, reckless and stupid plan. Now HCW faces more specific dangers but they had more specific training and the scale of the schools reopening means that significant spread is possible. Nearly 4000 schools and nearly 1 million kids. 80% of transmission in massive analysis in Korea occurred before symptoms showed.

https://twitter.com/sjmiggin/status/1285667275564032001?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I don’t really understand the online learning issues. If we could have blended learning with kids attending school some days, they could be given work to do, or join the online classes or online resources either. No matter the way they still get the same work set. I don’t think a full 5 day week return to school is the correct approach, but I think many parents just want to get things back to normal, get the kids out of their hair, without realising what’s normal now needs to be radically different. I know that education is important but health and protection of our children from covid19 should be paramount. The teachers also have my utmost sympathy, they’ve very unique challenges in front of them and you can in NO way compare a hospital with sick people relying on you for help, people who will comply with whatever they must in order to be treated with classrooms of kids who, at the best of times are hard work. Teachers won’t be able to be full PPE’d up and lastly, in hospitals suspected covid cases are segregated and treated as such, how can any teacher be expected to know if a sick kid has a cold or covid..... just ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Sunday Sunday

s1ippy wrote: »

Eventually (literally hours trying to catch her breath and stop the panic attack) managed to calm herself but the stress of it must be unimaginable based on her reaction. She never had a panic attack before, not even when she's had asthma attacks which hospitalised her. She has a five year old, extremely high risk due to recent operation, he obviously won't be attending school though he is due to start and is enrolled. I'd imagine she was very glad he wasn't awake during that. She didn't want to wake her husband as he's wfh this morning.

She obviously had not prepared herself in any way for the real possibility of returning to school.

If she's in that much of a state about it then she should just leave, no job is worth it if thats the reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I engaged fully with goggle classroom.

I didn't realise they were recommending eye protection in schools.

*sorry*:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

They are giving out about money really, not the actual job.

It does seem there are a few here who want to post every little negative (often without context) and have nothing positive to add.
    Not aimed directly at you wirelessdude but something I've witnessed over time. There are genuine fears and there is fear mongering.
    People need to give the return to school a fair go for the sake of the kids. I know it's not a great situation and there are turbulent times ahead as well as behind but there is also a chance it might go much better than expected. Schools on Wuhan went back in May.

Good luck to all the teachers, parents and students that have been involved with this thread over the last few months, lets all hope it gets very quiet in here over the next few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

sideswipe wrote: »
    Yes, Concerns about moving between locked down areas and non-locked down areas.

It does seem there are a few here who want to post every little negative (often without context) and have nothing positive to add.
    Not aimed directly at you wirelessdude but something I've witnessed over time. There are genuine fears and there is fear mongering.
    People need to give the return to school a fair go for the sake of the kids. I know it's not a great situation and there are turbulent times ahead as well as behind but there is also a chance it might go much better than expected. Schools on Wuhan went back in May.

Good luck to all the teachers, parents and students that have been involved with this thread over the last few months, lets all hope it gets very quiet in here over the next few months!

Did you read the article? See how little is being allocated for additional cleaning of buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Yes, Concerns about moving between locked down areas and non-locked down areas.

You give things a fair go when there has been a decent attempt to mitigate real and possible risks, that has not happened in this case with the cattle mart approach to returning to school. It’s a huge risk for many people and rightly one they do not want to gamble on.

Did you read the article? See how little is being allocated for additional cleaning of buses?

Sorry I had misread it and had edited my post before you quoted me. Points still remain.

screamer wrote: »
    You give things a fair go when there has been a decent attempt to mitigate real and possible risks, that has not happened in this case with the cattle mart approach to returning to school. It’s a huge risk for many people and rightly one they do not want to gamble on.

I watched the piece on the RTE news last night about changes being made to a secondary school (don't recall where it was) it seemed like a decent attempt to me.

We've had in depth correspondence from our primary school, principle and teachers rolling up their sleeves and doing what is necessary to help get the kids back. Definitely not a cattle mart approach from them, our teachers are acting in a forward thinking way and not sitting around waiting for guidance from pen pushers in some government dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I watched the piece on the RTE news last night about changes being made to a secondary school (don't recall where it was) it seemed like a decent attempt to me.

We've had in depth correspondence from our primary school, principle and teachers rolling up their sleeves and doing what is necessary to help get the kids back. Definitely not a cattle mart approach from them, our teachers are acting in a forward thinking way and not sitting around waiting for guidance from pen pushers in some government dept.

Our school will run a canteen, keep lockers and have a changing room for PE. Not every school approaching this in the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭combat14

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/older-people-will-be-told-to-limit-time-outdoors-and-family-gatherings-to-be-reduced-to-six-to-try-to-stall-resurgence-of-covid-19-39458325.html

Older people will be told to limit time outdoors and family gatherings to be reduced to six to try to stall resurgence of Covid-19

Hard to see how reopening schools is compatible with latest advice coming out of Nphet for families and indoor gatherings ... will have to see what govt decides later today or tomorrow should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Our school will run a canteen, keep lockers and have a changing room for PE. Not every school approaching this in the same way

I didn't know some Irish schools had canteens. Are they few and far between ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

That's fantastic news for all concerned.

Please tell us your school's solution for keeping all windows and doors open during one of the many North Atlantic storms we experience each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

combat14 wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/older-people-will-be-told-to-limit-time-outdoors-and-family-gatherings-to-be-reduced-to-six-to-try-to-stall-resurgence-of-covid-19-39458325.html

Older people will be told to limit time outdoors and family gatherings to be reduced to six to try to stall resurgence of Covid-19

Hard to see how reopening schools is compatible with latest advice coming out of Nphet for families and indoor gatherings ... will have to see what govt decides later today or tomorrow should be interesting

It is compatible because the rules elsewhere don't apply to schools. There is no way they will close the schools even if keeping them open is the wrong thing to do. By hook or by crook. They are even ignoring their own guidance of phased opening in phase 5 of reopening the country because the economy needs to get up and running and parents need to be working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Sunday Sunday

Mrsmum wrote: »

Ours has one, closed for the foreseeable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

gabeeg wrote: »

Please tell us your school's solution for keeping all windows and doors open during one of the many North Atlantic storms we experience each year.

Once kids go back to school, in many families more than one school, we will have to get used to having open windows, regardless of weather, in our homes too. Whatever they catch at school, they will bring home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Once kids go back to school, in many families more than one school, we will have to get used to having open windows, regardless of weather, in our homes too. Whatever they catch at school, they will bring home.

The upstairs windows in my school only open about 2 inches due to safety. Some of them don't even have handles anymore.

We’re lucky, every classroom has duel aspect with windows that open. I know you were being sarcastic about stormy weather but I’ll ask you this- should schools remain closed because the wind could cause problems a few days a year?

alroley wrote: »
    The upstairs windows in my school only open about 2 inches due to safety. Some of them don't even have handles anymore.

They are the things that need to be fixed with extra funds- people need to start seeing solutions rather than problems.

Reports now that tipperary looks set to go into lockdown too:

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5795070/coronavirus-tipperary-food-plant-outbreak-fears-mount-county-lockdown/amp/

'Unpopular decisions' likely in effort to control Covid-19

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40033784.html?type=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

They are the things that need to be fixed with extra funds- people need to start seeing solutions rather than problems.

I assume the windows don't open more to make sure no one jumps out.....

They'd have to change the windows in every upstairs classroom to the top of the wall. idk how much money you think schools got, but it wouldn't cover that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

We’re lucky, every classroom has duel aspect with windows that open. I know you were being sarcastic about stormy weather but I’ll ask you this- should schools remain closed because the wind could cause problems a few days a year?

A few days a year?

Welcome to Ireland. You're in for a shock.

I think the windows will close during storms as teaching, learning and just living with them open will be intolerable.

A few days a year?

Welcome to Ireland. You're in for a shock.

I think the windows will close during storms as teaching, learning and just living with them open will be intolerable.

noise pollution, wind, cold, unauthorised (illegal) but permitted smoking and disturbance from other students out on staggered breaks will be an issue too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

A multi-purpose hall with a counter for keeping food warm.

Hall used in normal times for plays, guest speakers and overflow classes too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement