Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Inquitus wrote: »
    I am not convinced opening the schools, especially secondary, is the wisest course of action at this point. Secondary age kids tend to catch it and spread it just as well as adults.

Various studies have shown that children from all ages spread it as easily as adults, the difference seems to be children can be asymptomatic with it or only get a mild dose but still spread it. As Has been said it is one of 7 coronaviruses and children spread the others very easily why suddenly not this one? Multiple studies showing children 0-5 have the same levels of coronavirus as adults or more in their noses and that 10year olds+ spread it as easily as adults which Mike Ryan of WHO mentioned when chatting to Sarah McInerney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I wonder now is the reopening plan out of date. It was unveiled at a time when there was also expectation that restrictions on pubs would be lifted and we hadn't seen any noticeable increase in cases from phase 2 to phase 3. Things move so quickly with this thing, it's hard to know if we'll once again be in a much better situation come day 1 of school, or if we'll be in a situation that makes the reopening plan look patently untenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

No prep done for blended learning. Anybody surprised?
    I mean the physical opening plan was sent out only four weeks before we came back?
    A directive should have been issued with backed up resources. But sure we can't run a health service or a housing system.
    Be wary of calling anybody front line. A front line has connotations of being a soldier.
    I think a consultant called out the media on this
    Teachers should be wary about being lectured to by journalists or parents working in safe enviroments.
    We ain't going into one. Anyway God speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

St.Spodo wrote: »
    I wonder now is the reopening plan out of date. It was unveiled at a time when there was also expectation that restrictions on pubs would be lifted and we hadn't seen any noticeable increase in cases from phase 2 to phase 3. Things move so quickly with this thing, it's hard to know if we'll once again be in a much better situation come day 1 of school, or if we'll be in a situation that makes the reopening plan look patently untenable.

I think the gov have gone too far down the rabbit hole of full reopening for all children to row back now. If they were serious about educational provision there should have been a number of options ready to go as is we have one plan and one plan only.

lulublue22 wrote: »
    I think the gov have gone too far down the rabbit hole of full reopening for all children to row back now. There should have been a number of options ready to go as is we have one plan and one plan only.

I suspect the one plan only was deliberate to ensure schools open. I suspect the NCCA may have been working on an online plan which wont be announced unless needed. My spidey senses tingling.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I think the gov have gone too far down the rabbit hole of full reopening for all children to row back now. If they were serious about educational provision there should have been a number of options ready to go as is we have one plan and one plan only.

I agree. Lot of talk that schools not opening in Sept would be the worst case scenario, I think a worse one would be schools closing again a month from now with no contigency plan and kids are back home until January.

khalessi wrote: »
    I suspect the one plan only was deliberate to ensure schools open. I suspect the NCCA may have been working on an online plan which wont be announced unless needed. My spidey senses tingling.:D

I’d be totally shocked if that was the case but also absolutely delighted if it happened :D Nothing worse then trying to make it up as you go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 902l45irqnwbah

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I am wondering it is possible that for conditions like asthma that result in a pretty much constant winter cough in certain kids that a gp may write a note for that child explaining the cough, I don't mind keeping my son at home if he has any symptoms of course however the cough persists from November through to February and I really wouldn't like to see him home that much due to a cough that we know the cause of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Sunday Sunday

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I am wondering it is possible that for conditions like asthma that result in a pretty much constant winter cough in certain kids that a gp may write a note for that child explaining the cough, I don't mind keeping my son at home if he has any symptoms of course however the cough persists from November through to February and I really wouldn't like to see him home that much due to a cough that we know the cause of.

Get the GP note now just in case, I'm getting one so they don't have to wear a mask.

Better off just having it in case.

According to the bold Norma as reported by RTE - She is confident schools will reopen fully at the end of August and will happily andwer any questions re same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

According to the bold Norma as reported by RTE - She is confident schools will reopen fully at the end of August and will happily answer any questions re same.

I won't hold my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Purplewaters

According to the bold Norma as reported by RTE - She is confident schools will reopen fully at the end of August and will happily answer any questions re same.

Was this released today? The new nephet guidelines seem totally at odds with school plan. Anyone notice the goverment will only blame peoples private behaviour eg social activities and house gatherings. They call it a blame game when it's all the many workplaces causing the clusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Was that her spokesperson?

Was this released today? The new nephet guidelines seem totally at odds with school plan. Anyone notice the goverment will only blame peoples private behaviour eg social activities and house gatherings. They call it a blame game when it's all the many workplaces causing the clusters.

It’s on RTE news app - a paragraph at the end of the calculated grades piece.

The government are advising everyone to avoid public transport, but also said that school transport of students from multiple schools will be very safe with no additional distancing. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

alroley wrote: »
    The government are advising everyone to avoid public transport, but also said that school transport of students from multiple schools will be very safe with no additional distancing. Nice.

This is daft tbh and the reason our Kids will not be on the Bus this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I'm getting one so they don't have to wear a mask.

There’s a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I sense the FULL reopening is not going to happen.

Won't be announced today but the writing is on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Get the GP note now just in case, I'm getting one so they don't have to wear a mask.

I'm kind of curious. Why don't you want your kid/kids to wear a mask?

Blondini wrote: »
    I sense the FULL reopening is not going to happen.

Won't be announced today but the writing is on the wall.

I bet it will as they dont want mud on their faces and are happy to throw kids to the wolves to prove they can open the schools. They might close a few days later but point made. I do think if they open they will do their best to keep them open

• Advertisement

The new guidelines are there partly so that schools CAN open.

Let's call a spade a spade, the recent surge in infections for the most part are in clusters caused by poor employment practices and living conditions.

Be prepared for the huge surge in numbers coming this weekend because the HSE are in this week testing every big factory similar to those where clusters have been found.

Good luck to them expecting elderly people to cocoon again, not many will be following that advice and to be honest I can't blame them.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm kind of curious. Why don't you want your kid/kids to wear a mask?

They have asthma and can't wear it all day long so will use a visor instead.

The government will go ahead with reopening schools fully as they're too selfish to take any backlash. When it all ends in disaster they will blame the principals, deputy principals and teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

There’s a surprise.

Guess who'll be first in line to give out if the kid gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,234 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

alroley wrote: »
    The government will go ahead with reopening schools fully as they're too selfish to take any backlash. When it all ends in disaster they will blame the principals, deputy principals and teachers.

Deputy heads must roll!

Guess who'll be first in line to give out if the kid gets it.

Visor is better than nothing, I'm capable of making that informed choice in conjunction with the school. They still get to go to school and wear a 'face covering' without having asthma attacks triggered by not being able to breathe properly.

More chance of that happening than them getting coronavirus.

There’s a surprise.

Not all secondary school kids are capable or or will be wearing masks all day long, there's a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Just a little tip for junior classes . I was sent a photo of a childs first day in school in Berlin . Now these kids are aged 6-7 so equal to our 1st class
    They each had a large place mat in front of them on the desk. ( fine big fun place mat)
    They roll it up and bring it home and asked to clean it and spray it with anti bac ready for the next day .
    They were seated four at a table with no distancing between them .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Just a little tip for junior classes . I was sent a photo of a childs first day in school in Berlin . Now these kids are aged 6-7 so equal to our 1st class
    They each had a large place mat in front of them on the desk. ( fine big fun place mat)
    They roll it up and bring it home and asked to clean it and spray it with anti bac ready for the next day .
    They were seated four at a table with no distancing between them .

Fine except you could not guarantee it being cleaned as there is always one, so safer to clean it in school

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

khalessi wrote: »
    Fine except you could not guarantee it being cleaned as there is always one, so safer to clean it in school

That 'one' is probably closer than you think ....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement