Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

khalessi wrote: »
    Are you bitter about this? Is there something else you would have liked as a job?

Yes. I wanted to be a national park ranger or a meteorological officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Scoondal wrote: »
    Yes. I wanted to be a national park ranger or a meteorological officer.

Thanks for replying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Sunday Sunday

Who are “ they ?” If you disagree with NPHET advice , you can choose to keep your child at home .

Half in half online approach would have been much better approach for secondary schools and might have omitted the need to treat them this way.

How can we stop this from happening? The repercussions if we allow this to go ahead will be frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Anybody think the set up for secondary sounds a bit like a prison?

Wear masks, no moving, scheduled toilet and breathing breaks, stay in the same room all day long etc etc.

Actually scratch that, prisoner's would have more rights than these poor kids and it wouldn't be tolerated. It's an utter disgrace what they are doing to these kids!

How is this anywhere close to acceptable treatment of children, can we not do better than this?

Show us your better alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Anybody think the set up for secondary sounds a bit like a prison?

Wear masks, no moving, scheduled toilet and breathing breaks, stay in the same room all day long etc etc.

Actually scratch that, prisoner's would have more rights than these poor kids and it wouldn't be tolerated. It's an utter disgrace what they are doing to these kids!

How is this anywhere close to acceptable treatment of children, can we not do better than this?

Better than having everything online like we will for college, oh and the pleasure of paying €3000 for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

71 of Mississippi's 82 counties are now reporting #COVID19 outbreaks in schools.

Confirmed Cases:
    Students: 199
    Teachers: 245

Quarantined (for 2 weeks):
    Students: 2,035
    Teachers: 589

And consider this: Dozens of schools just had their first day of class TODAY.

https://twitter.com/ashtonpittman/status/1295462052757221378

its hard to imagine how it can be done, safely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Better than having everything online like we will for college, oh and the pleasure of paying €3000 for it.

At college level you should be well capable of self directed learning without having the hand held. Or is it Arts and farts? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭F5500

Learned today we'll be moving to a system whereby students remain in one room for the day and teachers move.

While it makes the most sense to limit hallway traffic, it'll be interesting to see how it'll work with the various class splits for higher/ordinary level or choice subjects at senior cycle.

Got my timetable earlier and looking forward to going back now, despite the uncertainty.

The government just don't care once they reach their stated objective of a full return to school. The avalanche of blame for whatever happens after that will be placed firmly at the door of the schools, the principal and BOM will take the brunt of the criticism.

No direction from Minister Norma Foley.

At college level you should be well capable of self directed learning without having the hand held. Or is it Arts and farts? lol

I have a B.A. degree. What do you mean ?
    Is that discrimination in your comment ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Post reported for denigration of another poster’s qualifications.

I have reported your post as discriminatory for students studying and passing exams in their chosen subjects that are not subjects that you have studied ( Obviously ).

Well, I've been banned for a lot less.
    A B.A. degree was stated as "Arts and farts" because I highlighted an obvious fact that could not be disputed.
    That is the level of intelligent debate on this forum ... if you cannot reply, attack the writer's educational achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Halfdane

Back on topic, I work in a special school and am quite impressed with the principal and board’s response plan. I give little credit of that to our current government. Obviously being a special school presents its own unique challenges that other schools don’t necessarily have to deal with (e.g. there will be no social distancing in classrooms and challenging behaviours can certainly be difficult at times from a hygiene perspective). I personally really do wonder how long we will last. Our school does not have the substitute staff to cover many absences and while new teachers and subs have been made available supposedly, having someone new in the door who knows nothing about the individual kids in a class can actually be detrimental instead of helpful. I just can’t fathom that the government has wasted so much time spinning its wheels and failing to adapt to different education modes despite reopening schools seemingly being their priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

By that standard leaving certs should have been well able to sit their leaving cert in July. I’ve never seen a bigger group of cry babies ... and they’re meant to be going to college in a months time.

By that standard leaving certs should have been well able to sit their leaving cert in July. I’ve never seen a bigger group of cry babies ... and they’re meant to be going to college in a months time.

They have the advantage on deferred students of the 2019 Leaving Cert who got normal grades.
    Ah, but poor them ... their exams were cancelled and they had to go to house parties. Terrible.

Halfdane wrote: »
    Back on topic, I work in a special school and am quite impressed with the principal and board’s response plan. I give little credit of that to our current government. Obviously being a special school presents its own unique challenges that other schools don’t necessarily have to deal with (e.g. there will be no social distancing in classrooms and challenging behaviours can certainly be difficult at times from a hygiene perspective). I personally really do wonder how long we will last. Our school does not have the substitute staff to cover many absences and while new teachers and subs have been made available supposedly, having someone new in the door who knows nothing about the individual kids in a class can actually be detrimental instead of helpful. I just can’t fathom that the government has wasted so much time spinning its wheels and failing to adapt to different education modes despite reopening schools seemingly being their priority.
    That's good to hear.
    But some schools have done nothing. No communication. No re-opening date. No advice to give to returning pupils. And these people are paid how much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Halfdane

Scoondal wrote: »
    That's good to hear.
    But some schools have done nothing. No communication. No re-opening date. No advice to give to returning pupils. And these people are paid how much ?

I am lucky in that regard. I can’t imagine knowing nothing at this point with schools (as of now anyway) reopening in less than two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Bodan wrote: »
    71 of Mississippi's 82 counties are now reporting #COVID19 outbreaks in schools.

I'd say theres a lot more community transmission there, which would be seeding outbreaks in schools /workplaces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I'd say theres a lot more community transmission there, which would be seeding outbreaks in schools /workplaces

For sure the prevalence is higher but the mode of transmission is 100% the same. If three meat packing plants shut down LOK what will 3000 plus primary and 700 secondary do?

One question I’ve not seen answered is,
    How did someone in those factories contract it?
    Was it in the community?
    Holiday?
    Travel given large amount of EU sourced labour in the sector.

https://twitter.com/r_h_ebright/status/1295516494693048322?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Some good points being made in this video. A lot of stuff that has been discussed here.
    I’ve no idea if test and trace is adequate here.
    A lot of similarities though. Local lockdown, question over isolation. Uptick in infection. Not making valid comparisons with other countries regarding reaping. I.e classroom size and pupil count, student teacher ratios l, use of additional spaces , staggered timetables. Saying it’ll be fine because other countries implemented changes to make all of those factors much more favourable.

RTE reported from school in ballyfermot earlier. They basically said there is a check in form for contact tracing for visitors and they cleared out an old staff room. Can’t see it ending well tbh.

https://twitter.com/independentsage/status/1295304527969767424?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭SweetSand

This thread is so interesting, I am following it from the beginning. Our girls are 7 and 9 and they were born in Galway and started their school in Galway. We are in Massachusetts right now and it is amazing how similar things are. Most of my friends are in Galway or Co Galway and differences are huge, like one of my friends well outside of Galway had no education for her 9 yo boy from April until now, just few emails with homework and that’s it, rather than others had zoom meetings and more online involvement.
    Same for us here. For the last few months we only talk about schools going or not going back. Timeframe is similar for us, schools closed at the end of March. Here, from grade K to 2 they used Seasaw, which I thought was useless, from grade 3 onwards they used google classroom, which I thought was great. What maddens me - there is no centralised decision. Every school district make their own rule. Our district, which is essentially our town, has 5 primary schools and a middle schools and a high school. We had to choose few weeks ago between hybrid or remote only. Hybrid means 2 days in school and 3 days self paced education (God knows what that means), they are not mixing it with remote. We were told though that all kids will be provided with chrome books and if you have no internet- they ll provide you with a hot spot. Kids are suppose to wear masks all the time in school, parents are to provide two masks per child per day. Kids will be split by last name.
    I feel it will be all over by October :( our cases are high as they are and no light at the end of the tunnel :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Spent a good portion of the night on the phone consoling one of my friends from a school I worked in a few years ago, who was after having an asthma/panic attack and thought she had some chest pain (she determined after a short time that she was just panicking. They've been completely cocooning for five months except for her taking the odd trip in to organise her classroom in accordance with the guidelines).

The reason for this is that some time after midnight, she received an email from Medmark saying:
    In our opinion [name] falls into the High Risk Group, but not the Very High Risk (Extremely Vulnerable) Group

• According to current HSE guidelines, this employee may attend work if it is not possible to work from home but with social distancing - and hygiene measures in place

Current information indicates that around 25% of the Irish adult population are in a higher risk
    group, potentially impacting on workplace operational requirements and the need to provide continuity of work.

It is a management decision, based on an appropriate risk assessment, to determine whether the above measures are in place and whether additional precautions, including PPE, could further mitigate the risk.

The final decision for this employee’s deployment therefore rests with the employer.

Aside from receiving the email in the middle of the night, she was absolutely certain that she was going to be working from home, because the guidelines stated that high risk employees could provide support remotely, for example, for high risk students who couldn't attend school safely. Her consultant had sent reports that her respiratory issues are not well controlled and she has a condition that causes high blood pressure.

Eventually (literally hours trying to catch her breath and stop the panic attack) managed to calm herself but the stress of it must be unimaginable based on her reaction. She never had a panic attack before, not even when she's had asthma attacks which hospitalised her. She has a five year old, extremely high risk due to recent operation, he obviously won't be attending school though he is due to start and is enrolled. I'd imagine she was very glad he wasn't awake during that. She didn't want to wake her husband as he's wfh this morning.

Husband can take care of their son but she's going to have to isolate from them both if she goes into school. She's waiting on the finalisation of a different post she actually successfully applied for (last December, but the hiring process has been painfully slow because of everything) so the prospect of that helped her to put things in perspective... Even then, I felt that hers is an unenviable position to be in and many teachers won't have any fallback in the back of their heads. At the end of the call, she categorically told me that she was not taking the risk even if the other job falls through. She said they would have to figure the money out but her family's health comes first.

Her (rural) school management think they're doing everything right in their plans, but a cursory glance shows it's a disaster. Shared transport drop them in to the school from miles around (45m journeys for some). First thing, 100 students are in assembly hall with no masks and under 1m between them. The usual streamed SEN and resource classes will take place throughout the day, thus bursting the "pods" (of 25-30, but in two very small rooms and even smaller prefabs outside), no SD posible. Principal has stated that to wear masks, staff require a medical cert.

As for the physical building, the windows don't open, there are no sinks or toilet facilities in classrooms, one shared toilet between 30 staff and the heating routinely breaks, leaving them absolutely freezing as the building doesn't get a lot of sun. The solution to no heating when I worked there was to put several classes into the same room to try and generate heat. I hope they won't be doing that this year.

Anyway off I go into my home office to begin my day's work... I feel incredibly guilty that some people are being put in the above situation. I reckon plans are not going to get the chance to materialise at all but putting people through the stress and trauma my buddy went through last night is criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭facehugger99

s1ippy wrote: »
    Spent a good portion of the night on the phone consoling one of my friends from a school I worked in a few years ago, who was after having an asthma/panic attack and thought she had some chest pain (she determined after a short time that she was just panicking. They've been completely cocooning for five months except for her taking the odd trip in to organise her classroom in accordance with the guidelines).

Sounds like a totally hysterical overreaction. She needs to cop herself on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Sounds like a totally hysterical overreaction. She needs to cop herself on.

Exactly

Cop on ffs

Teachers need to get real now

PPE up like doctors, nurses, guards, dentists, supermarket workers etc that have been infront of the virus since the beginning

Get yer face mask, visor, goggles on and face it like we did

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Exactly

Cop on ffs

Teachers need to get real now

PPE up like doctors, nurses, guards, dentists, supermarket workers etc that have been infront of the virus since the beginning

Get yer face mask, visor, goggles on and face it like we did

The PPE isn't going to protect her . Anxiety around this situation it totally understandable. As a parent that's high risk I am very worried and thats with me not even being in the class room.

isup wrote: »
    The PPE isn't going to protect her . Anxiety around this situation it totally understandable. As a parent that's high risk I am very worried and thats with me not even being in the class room.

She needs to go on Covid payments then or take a career break for a few years

Other professionals have to face it with PPE and lets face it, most over 50 are not healthy here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

We need to make sure that the teachers are happy and safe in their working environment or else there will be a lot taking sick leave (or finding a new career) in the very near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Still no word from the Secondary school. No start date - was originally meant to be next week.

• Advertisement

hairyslug wrote: »
    We need to make sure that the teachers are happy and safe in their working environment or else there will be a lot taking sick leave (or finding a new career) in the very near future.

Lets be honest we are not going to need as many teachers in 10 or 20 years time anyway

For kids over 13 distance learning will be the future

Classes will be done online via bots through corporations like Microsoft/Google etc

Same for lecturers

Primary might need

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement