Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where would you go next...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Augeo wrote: »
    I think model S is really dated looking now but it didn't look a fresh design back in 2014 either or whenever it was released.

I think they still look very good in reality. Photos dont do them justice.

I was working in Austria a few years ago there were a good few about, a daily spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

mickdw wrote: »
    I think they still look very good in reality. Photos dont do them justice.

In the right colour and nice alloys they look great but I think the interior needs a revamp.

The interior needed a revamp the day it was released.

Wailin, did you test drive the 440i in Waterford?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Wailin

No, I had planned to head down last Monday, visit family and pop out to Bolands to take it for a spin but I never got down afterwards. I've put the whole thing on the back burner now for awhile with the current situation tbh.

What about you carsfan did you ever make a move on the X5/Q7 in the end?

Wailin wrote: »
    No, I had planned to head down last Monday, visit family and pop out to Bolands to take it for a spin but I never got down afterwards. I've put the whole thing on the back burner now for awhile with the current situation tbh.

What about you carsfan did you ever make a move on the X5/Q7 in the end?

We ordered a new x5 start of January.
    It’s built and expected to arrive middle of April but that was obviously before covid 19 so I assume there will be delays.
    With all that’s happening, if I could turn back time it certainly wouldn’t have been ordered from both a finance point of view and the fact that with so many losing jobs and suffering generally in the community it’s not a good time to take delivery of an expensive car.
    The world seemed very different back in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

carsfan2 wrote: »
    It’s built and expected to arrive middle of April but that was obviously before covid 19 so I assume there will be delays.
    With all that’s happening, if I could turn back time it certainly wouldn’t have been ordered from both a finance point of view and the fact that with so many losing jobs and suffering generally in the community it’s not a good time to take delivery of an expensive car.

I'm feeling the same way, and i only bought a 5 year old car in December. Imagine how my neighbor over the road with the 201 RR Sport and the 191 Panamera and the 192 740e feels:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Imagine how my neighbor over the road with the 201 RR Sport and the 191 Panamera and the 192 740e feels:D

Like a drug dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Like a drug dealer?

Far from it, he's my first cousin. It's all legit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If I make it to the future I'm buying a 911 Targa 4

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

carsfan2 wrote: »

I’m in a similar boat, car will be in within a couple of weeks and I do want it but I’m thinking of pulling out of the deal given the uncertainty at the moment. I suspect my job will be fine be who knows. I’m sure I’ll lose my deposit but it’s small change in the big picture.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what percentage is the deposit typically? at the very least, if you can pull out without too much loss, the other option is to try renegotiate the price, dealers are in a FCUKED position!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what percentage is the deposit typically? at the very least, if you can pull out without too much loss, the other option is to try renegotiate the price, dealers are in a FCUKED position!

In my case it was 1k, it’s a custom build so I’d no problem with leaving a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

If I had a 1k deposit on a car right now I'd cancel and take the loss I think.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    If I had a 1k deposit on a car right now I'd cancel and take the loss I think.

Would surely depend on your situation though? If nothing has changed (job secure etc) then why throw away a grand and not get the car you wanted?

Different story if your financial situation is uncertain of course.

Its hard to pick a job that is secure at the minute or even if you pick some state jobs, pay cuts will likely be down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

There's potential at the moment to damage resale for years to come. I'd probably risk the 1k and see what happens. If you still want to buy in the not too distant future there most likely will be deals coming.

The economy is about to take a major hit, so regardless of personal situation spending a large sum of money on a new car right now is probably bad timing (not that it's ever a good investment, I get that). Values of 2nd hand cars will drop as affordability for the general public drops, and spending on luxuries like upgrading cars stops and cheap finance stops. If the 2nd hand market is hit hard, then the depreciation slope on a new car will get steeper. Each to their own of course, and I do not begrudge anyone getting a new car, more just do it with your eyes open.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭supue

I'm in a similar category to above - I went to view the white well-spec'd 530e in Beshoff's mentioned a few weeks back, which only for the fact they didn't have it out for me to go on a test-drive (I'd requested on the Friday), delayed my purchase decision for a few days and the car was ultimately sold. I looked around for similar spec, and like others struggled to find one that ticked all the boxes. Given recent circumstances, thankful I didn't pull the trigger until I see how the next few months unfold, likely better value to be had; from a currency perspective alone, the UK/NI has become more attractive with the movement in GBP/EUR.

• Advertisement

Would surely depend on your situation though? If nothing has changed (job secure etc) then why throw away a grand and not get the car you wanted?

Different story if your financial situation is uncertain of course.

The car (or something very close to it) might well be available for €xk less in 12 months.

The chap selling that 171 C reg 530d x drive I linked some time back contacted me last night saying it's available again as the buyer couldn't come up with the money. More like got cold feet I'd say and pulled out.

Anyway some back and forth and after saying 20k initially to change from my 535d he dropped to 16k. I reckon I could get more off, possibly down to 14k if pressed. What you think lads to come up 3 years with 18k km on the clock? Warranty would be an issue and a big one too.

.......... 171 C reg 530d x drive........ 14k..............to come up 3 years with 18k km on the clock? Warranty would be an issue and a big one too.

Sounds very decent.

..........Warranty would be an issue and a big one too.

Warranty roulette is a tough one.
    Do you do much miles? Mainly cold miles in a 530d is asking for trouble IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Can you not just buy a warranty from bmw. Car is new enough and low miles so should be no issue. I dont think they cost too much worth looking into anyway id want one on likes of that. Other thing is your coming down in engine power would that bother you?

I'm in the same boat.
    supposed to be getting the car today but dealer has closed until further notice.
    Only have a tiny deposit on it because the 10k I transfered to them bounced because I made a mistake on the form......
    Dont think our situation will change financially but at least I have my money to hand and not stuck for a car.

The chap selling that 171 C reg 530d x drive I linked some time back contacted me last night saying it's available again as the buyer couldn't come up with the money. More like got cold feet I'd say and pulled out.

Anyway some back and forth and after saying 20k initially to change from my 535d he dropped to 16k. I reckon I could get more off, possibly down to 14k if pressed. What you think lads to come up 3 years with 18k km on the clock? Warranty would be an issue and a big one too.

It's really impossible to know with so much uncertainty ahead. Relative to what was offered before it sounds like a good deal, but nobody knows what the next few months will bring.

The other way to look at it, is if you like the car and have the cash sitting doing nothing etc why not...

I wouldn't though as I think keeping as much liquidity over the next few months is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you could get it for close to 14k I reckon it's a pretty decent price to come up 3 years and to the newer model. You could wait and see how things pan out further but then the value of your own car is going through the same situation.

Regarding warranty - try getting a quote from BMW warranty on the G30. Even if it cost you 2k extra for 2 years for the full cover (which is pretty much the same as a BMW warranty) then 16k is still a decent price all in imo. Push the seller on the price then in the idea that he won't see you again once you have a warranty from BMW.

If you can get it for 14/15k I think it’s reasonable enough provided the car is straight and you can get a BMW warranty sorted. You can ring BMW warranty and they will quote you if you have a reg. number.
    Have you asked about the history of the car though?
    Seems very low mileage for its age?

After another few short emails it turns out the car was crashed, repaired and has an engineers report. Reason for the very low mileage. I never bothered to enquire as to the extent of the damage as I'm absolutely not interested. I think I'll sit back and see how things develop as some have pointed out, buying a car now is a low priority. It was just that he contacted me and I was intrigued.

• Advertisement

After another few short emails it turns out the car was crashed, repaired and has an engineers report. Reason for the very low mileage. I never bothered to enquire as to the extent of the damage as I'm absolutely not interested. I think I'll sit back and see how things develop as some have pointed out, buying a car now is a low priority. It was just that he contacted me and I was intrigued.

Run Forrest run.

Advertisement