Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where would you go next...

Options

Comments

For the record against the 39k 530e 2017 model which has 65k kms on it, I was offered 14k allowance for my 2014 A6 2.0 TDI with 85k kms on it.

Doesn't sound too bad a trade in when 2017 A6 can be gotten for 25k from Irish garages.

The 39k 530e price is a different issue altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Augeo wrote: »
    Doesn't sound too bad a trade in when 2017 A6 can be gotten for 25k from Irish garages.

The 39k 530e price is a different issue altogether.

It's too rich for me anyway to change. Its the relative pricing as you say. 25k between year 3 and year 6 to change is too much. Although it's a massive spec and is a step up. Willing to bide my time now though for the right g30 at the right price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

Any warranty mentioned with the 530e? Ad states remainder of bmw warranty which would be up already if registered in jan.

Wailin wrote: »
    Any warranty mentioned with the 530e? Ad states remainder of bmw warranty which would be up already if registered in jan.

I didn't ask as I don't think I'll be buying it. Going to have a look at autotrader.co.uk now

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's a crazy cost to change figure to only go up 3 years imo. They are charging a hefty premium for higher spec especially given that we all know you wouldn't get that premium if you or me were selling that car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

I think those 530e examples are far too expensive for what is just a random dealer. 30k would be more like it!

bazz26 wrote: »
    That's a crazy cost to change figure to only go up 3 years imo. They are charging a hefty premium for higher spec especially given that we all know you wouldn't get that premium if you or me were selling that car.

There was a 33k one there too so I could change for 19k. But it had higher miles than my own despite being 3 years younger.
    I'm up in relatively expensive cars for the first time, since 2009 until 2018 I was in pretty nice but older 5 series petrol which I changed frequently because they were going for peanuts so it was easy enough to do so. I like changing cars frequently enough my eye is easily caught.

A bit more difficult now and I have to realise I'm in steeper part of depreciation curve.

Sorry, 1 thing I forgot to mention to anyone looking at these is that the boot is much smaller than I thought. I knew it lost a bit in height but it's much much smaller than boot on the ICE cars. Might not be a huge consideration for me though but may be for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Did you ask about the history of the cars at that dealer and the one with the high spec in particular?
    I guess ex BMW demo or press car. No private buyer unless they need their head examined is going to spec up a 530e like that.

Personally I would feel much more comfortable going to a main dealer and paying the premium for AUC warranty on a car as complex as these.

Sorry, 1 thing I forgot to mention to anyone looking at these is that the boot is much smaller than I thought. I knew it lost a bit in height but it's much much smaller than boot on the ICE cars. Might not be a huge consideration for me though but may be for others.

Yeah 100 litres smaller and, along with being 200kg heavier than the 530i, is a deal breaker for me. That's serious extra weight the suspension has to deal with daily, two average sized rugby players permanently in the back seat. Potential for a lot more wear and tear than normal. Obviously the suspension is adapted for it but I'd still be dubious.

• Advertisement

I'd reckon the suspension wear is nominal compared to other models. If someone's commute allowed 75% ish of driving to be done on electricity the fuel savings are significant :)
    530i depreciation is likely steeper also......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭maddness

Yeah 100 litres smaller and, along with being 200kg heavier than the 530i, is a deal breaker for me. That's serious extra weight the suspension has to deal with daily, two average sized rugby players permanently in the back seat. Potential for a lot more wear and tear than normal. Obviously the suspension is adapted for it but I'd still be dubious.

I know many will completely disagree but I think the majority of the hybrids 530e included will be worth very little in a few years and seen as a short term stop gap.
    The fact that you can buy one cheaper than a 520d now speak volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,314 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I sent that dealer a quick email re pricing the bmw warranty as an add-on as buying without main dealer warranty on these is nuts imo.
    Fair enough I didn't call them and some don't respond to emails but I got no reply.
    Surely if in the business of selling these, even going half and half on a years bmw auc warranty would be a huge advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,314 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

maddness wrote: »
    I know many will completely disagree but I think the majority of the hybrids 530e included will be worth very little in a few years and seen as a short term stop gap.
    The fact that you can buy one cheaper than a 520d now speak volumes.

Ya the newer ones will be immediately more desirable however if you look at 520i, surely the 530e is a nicer car in every way even if the range is tiny.
    It beats the 520d too unless you need the long distance economy.
    Complexity is a down side so as a long term prospect maybe not a great idea.
    I think alot of the demand for 520d is due to your average man in the street not being willing to even consider a plug in car of any type. The ignorance of the people towards this is stunning really.
    I've explained multiple times to non car people what the 530e is and still been involved in conversations with the same people afterwards who will laugh that you will come to a stop half way up the road when the battery runs out.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Did you ask about the history of the cars at that dealer and the one with the high spec in particular?
    I guess ex BMW demo or press car. No private buyer unless they need their head examined is going to spec up a 530e like that.

Personally I would feel much more comfortable going to a main dealer and paying the premium for AUC warranty on a car as complex as these.

No, didn't ask. It was the high spec moonstone one I took for a spin. Was beautiful car. The current generation 5 series, A6 and E class are seriously impressive cars to sit in. I'll be doing my sums on a few things in life now and see where a newer car fits into it. Sensible thing is to stay in my A6 for a while but I do want to move up to current generation soon. G30 favourite because its around a year longer than the A6 C8 and subsequently will be a bit cheaper. Plus the PHEV option which I like, not for cost but just like the idea of them.
    My mind will probably change a bit between these 2 over next while.

Looked every bit of the 100 litres and will become just much less usable, so many things would just not fit at all due to height. I'd defo need fold down seats in one of these which I don't know if that one had

mickdw wrote: »
    I sent that dealer a quick email re pricing the bmw warranty as an add-on as buying without main dealer warranty on these is nuts imo.
    Fair enough I didn't call them and some don't respond to emails but I got no reply.
    Surely if in the business of selling these, even going half and half on a years bmw auc warranty would be a huge advantage.

I think he's well aware that car will be snapped up very quickly either way. The black one went very quickly and I would not trust a warranty from that type of dealer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I cannot warm to the styling of this car at all:

Spiritual successor to the horrid 3 Series GT imo. Reminds me of the Hyundai i30 Fastback.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I cannot warm to the styling of this car at all:

Spiritual successor to the horrid 3 Series GT imo. Reminds me of the Hyundai i30 Fastback.

That’s an absolute pig of a yoke. The very worse of the new breed of ugly BMW’s.

Christ that's bad alright. Funnily enough I'm probably one of the few who actually like the new 1 series, even though it's similar to this.

• Advertisement

I like the 1 series in the metal but this is like a Renault Megane saloon. Not good looking enough to be a gran coupe at all.
    A very poor effort. I can’t see it being a success but maybe a 216 is just what those aspiring to a cheaper BMW saloon will go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I like the 1 series in the metal but this is like a Renault Megane saloon. Not good looking enough to be a gran coupe at all.
    A very poor effort. I can’t see it being a success but maybe a 216 is just what those aspiring to a cheaper BMW saloon will go for.

All I see is old Renault too

I love these Carwow drag race videos. Amazed how quick the Bentley is here.
    takes the mind off corona anyway..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EteR27EDlg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yeah they're great!
    Yianni(?) gets very competitive when he's involved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

Wheels for this week. Dettol was sprayed all over the interior, I won’t lie.

C1-D9-BB56-E0-A1-435-B-9-DD1-D56884-B4-D33-B.jpg
    07503-CD9-C8-FB-4852-ADAF-2-C90-B841-F125.jpg
    FE90756-F-C1-D0-4-F1-F-A3-C3-FEF1-E67-ECD62.jpg
    FC81664-F-513-C-4048-8-ECA-4-D6-BCE48-E0-F5.jpg
    A8-B9-B734-07-A3-4-C23-AD7-F-9997-B9-DC7275.jpg
    5-DB20-C08-A502-4-EC5-B012-AFF591-EDBD8-F.jpg

Looking forward to your video Mark.

Looks like the Mazda 12 that never got made.

Even though it’s got digital dials and the huge tablet, there is something clunky and old fashioned about the dash. Maybe it’s the wood?

I will be interested to see your review.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

teslas are cool. But that interior for what that car will cost !!!

• Advertisement

I think model S is really dated looking now but it didn't look a fresh design back in 2014 either or whenever it was released.

Advertisement