Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where would you go next...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Wailin wrote: »
    After another few short emails it turns out the car was crashed, repaired and has an engineers report. Reason for the very low mileage. I never bothered to enquire as to the extent of the damage as I'm absolutely not interested. I think I'll sit back and see how things develop as some have pointed out, buying a car now is a low priority. It was just that he contacted me and I was intrigued.

Explains a lot then.

I had planned on heading to the UK for a family wagon but I'm holding back. Have managed to sell my own car but the way things are I'll be holding tough for the next few months to see how it pans out. There most likely will be some decent value to be had towards the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wailin wrote: »
    After another few short emails it turns out the car was crashed, repaired and has an engineers report. Reason for the very low mileage. I never bothered to enquire as to the extent of the damage as I'm absolutely not interested. I think I'll sit back and see how things develop as some have pointed out, buying a car now is a low priority. It was just that he contacted me and I was intrigued.

The reason it was so cheap compared to others after all. Just too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Was this a dealer/trader? Are they not obligated to declare that in the ad?

Complete time waster putting an ad up, talking money etc and not declaring that to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yep, I agree. He's a small trader with some random stuff such as construction vehicles along with 4 or 5 cars. All of which I'd be wary of after this as they are all priced below the expected range. I'm surprised he mentioned it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭carsfan2

A 90k 520d. Mad price new, but lovely car,
    He seems to get some very nice cars and I have made a habit of taking a pit stop whenever on the way to Galway to walk around his stock. Some very exotic stuff there usually.
    He had an individual rhodonite diver 530d x drive for sale that looks brilliant.
    I don’t know why BMW have removed silver from the choice of m sport cars in general as they always look well with the dechromed look.

I just cannot take to black alloy wheels but that's just me. Saying that they could always be powder coated a different colour if like me. BTW is that dealer any relation to Colm Quinn, brother perhaps? He seems to get hold of alot of fresh BMW metal. Knows how to charge for it too.

I spotted this one too but no sure about the dealer, photos taken in an industrial estate don't inspire confidence in what sort of setup they are running or what form of comeback you would have, especially for the top dollar they are asking for it:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/huge-spec-2017-bmw-530d-m-sport-plus-m-performance/24381653

It's prefer this if I was going that exterior colour:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2522154&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D10%26o%5B%5D%3D87%26f%3D2%26nn%3D22%26yn%3D2017%26yx%3D2019%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

The dark grey interior would be a show stopper for me though, it would need to be oyster or cognac.

There's a few of those industrial estate type "dealers" popping up around Dublin, with very dodgy reputation too. Cough cough 'money laundering'.

Is that not black dakota leather bazz, just the lighting making it look grey? He has some stock alright, including porsches, ferraris etc.

Your right, BMW only do one dark dakota, I've had it a few cars and it always looks dark grey to me. It's very easy to keep but makes the interior too dark and bland imo.

• Advertisement

My own car was in for warranty work last week and I was given a new(disinfected) 520d se with 500km on it as a loaner.
    It was obviously not the coming facelift version but it has as standard the new driving gauges and latest i drive system as well as a couple of usb c sockets in the back which my car lacks. More importantly it has the latest mild hybrid version of the 20d engine.
    I have to say it is so smooth and refined as well as reasonably brisk that it again makes me question the need for anything more in these cars. The ride on standard suspension and 17” alloys is excellent. The whole package is so complete as to really make anything more pure indulgence.
    My car is very refined and comfortable but they have continuously improved the model since launch.

Come to think of it , there are plenty who think a BMW of any sort let alone BMW 520d is an indulgence!

Plenty folk sneer at a 520d also.... Mainly EV fanboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,313 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

carsfan2 wrote: »
    My own car was in for warranty work last week and I was given a new(disinfected) 520d se with 500km on it as a loaner.
    It was obviously not the coming facelift version but it has as standard the new driving gauges and latest i drive system as well as a couple of usb c sockets in the back which my car lacks. More importantly it has the latest mild hybrid version of the 20d engine.
    I have to say it is so smooth and refined as well as reasonably brisk that it again makes me question the need for anything more in these cars. The ride on standard suspension and 17” alloys is excellent. The whole package is so complete as to really make anything more pure indulgence.
    My car is very refined and comfortable but they have continuously improved the model since launch.
    Its all relative i suppose. Someone driving a new passat could easily say themselves its all the car you would ever need, similarly a new mondeo yet someone else stepping out of a 740d would quickly see the short comings of them all including 520d. I do agree though that it is more than enough car for anyone really.

The 530e seems to be the new 520d due to VRT rebate.

bazz26 wrote: »

It should be but most are too blind to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

This is a stunning one here, love the alloys and m performance kit on it. Very well priced as well which would worry me!!

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/5-Series-Huge-Spec-M-Sport-Plus-M-Performance/202003208646516

bazz26 wrote: »
    mickdw wrote: »
    It should be but most are too blind to see it.

I think loads of folk couldn't be doing with plugging in a car every or most days. Also many 520d are fleet sales for high mileage uses where the VAT back on diesel is perhaps a factor also.

Bazz linked that one earlier. It's stunning alright and the spec is massive. The M performance side skirts take a bit away from it for me, but other than that it's nearly everything I'd look for in that model.

The dealer would put me off though.

I didn't know there was an update on the B47 engine, good to know. The 520d is a fine car and really is all that most people need.

• Advertisement

They have been steadily improving the 5 series with periodic upgrades.
    Apparently the facelift will not introduce any new tech that hasn’t already been put into the car.
    I was pleasantly surprised by the engine. It was quieter and smoother than my own. The engine would shut down similarly to my 330e and coast briefly on electric when you lift off then start again when you needed power again. I suppose this is similar to Toyota’s self charging hybrids.
    I reckon the forthcoming 545e might be the Petrol heads model to buy. A three litre petrol and the plug in battery.
    Hopefully the brits will buy loads and we can import them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

They have been steadily improving the 5 series with periodic upgrades.
    Apparently the facelift will not introduce any new tech that hasn’t already been put into the car.
    I was pleasantly surprised by the engine. It was quieter and smoother than my own. The engine would shut down similarly to my 330e and coast briefly on electric when you lift off then start again when you needed power again. I suppose this is similar to Toyota’s self charging hybrids.
    I reckon the forthcoming 545e might be the Petrol heads model to buy. A three litre petrol and the plug in battery.
    Hopefully the brits will buy loads and we can import them later.

I dunno about diesel hybrids tho, stop start isn't exactly ideal not a mind shutting off the engine at other times and starting again

Augeo wrote: »
    I think loads of folk couldn't be doing with plugging in a car every or most days. Also many 520d are fleet sales for high mileage uses where the VAT back on diesel is perhaps a factor also.

Fleet sales have little choice but locally here there are numerous families buying used 520d when a 530e would suit their use better even if they never plugged in.
    One valid concern is warranty and repair on the newer tech.

..... Apologies, I thought chat was about buying new.

Admiring the colour of this M2 while my car is in for servicing. Had me scratching my head for awhile with the description saying the car was blue before I realised it was wrapped! Matt finish and looks very well, but up close you can see stone chippings on the bumper with the original blue underneath.

49690373671_b276e6b6fb_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Is that Colm Quinns? Nice M4 Competition beside it!

Yeah Quinns. They had four M4's there. The yellow one was very striking.

49691021302_333125ca66_c.jpg

Nice blue one.

49690177128_4356d8c9aa_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Pictures don't do the M4 justice I think. It's only when you see one in the flesh that you realise the presence they have!

......... not to mention the noise :pac:

• Advertisement

Pictures don't do the M4 justice I think. It's only when you see one in the flesh that you realise the presence they have!

Spot on. A jet black M4 came up behind me on the motorway recently. Had the led lights and black grill and it just looked menacing. Gave me a serious dose of car envy!

Advertisement