Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Clothes are over rated. Naked is so de rigeur right now.
    Well I have been sent home from work after following that advice, wins all round.
    Hey :) Hope it's okay to put this here. I know you guys have the bargains thread but this is more like a general question. I started cycling to and from work when I moved jobs and I'm starting to get more into it.

I was wondering where ye would go to buy good quality stuff that's not overly expensive? Currently looking into buying a bike rack and winter gear but the place where I bought my bike is just crazy expensive.
    Depends where you are based and if you want to try the clothes before hand, most of the established LBS in Dublin are not far from retail prices online nowadays, and you get the benefit of seeing the gear in the flesh as it were first.

After that, the Aldi stuff is grand, good quality, and more than adequate for most scenarios

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I was wondering where ye would go to buy good quality stuff that's not overly expensive? Currently looking into buying a bike rack and winter gear but the place where I bought my bike is just crazy expensive.

I don't think I'm the best person to answer this, but I hate to see you left hanging.

Look out for the Aldi sales. They seem to be ok for clothes and maybe tools/floor pumps. Others can confirm or deny, as I haven't bought anything there yet. Are their lights any good?

A bike rack shouldn't cost that much. Try a bike shop that's more orientated towards commuters rather than big-spending hobbyists. Commuting Solutions in Rathmines maybe, if you live in Dublin?

Online is often the cheapest option, but at the expense of the network of local bike shops. I only buy online what I can't get in a local shop.

EDIT: Cram replied while I was typing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i find the sizing can be odd in aldi - i have a couple of jackets where fit is nominally OK; the sleeves and body are the right length, and comfy to tight around the arms, but with enough excess material around the torso to fit a watermelon in there.
    shorts are grand for commuting, i wouldn't wear them on spins longer than about 20k; the chamois is not as soft nor does it wick sweat away as well as more expensive shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I don't think I'm the best person to answer this, but I hate to see you left hanging.

Look out for the Aldi sales. They seem to be ok for clothes and maybe tools/floor pumps. Others can confirm or deny, as I haven't bought anything there yet. Are their lights any good?

A bike rack shouldn't cost that much. Try a bike shop that's more orientated towards commuters rather than big-spending hobbyists. Commuting Solutions in Rathmines maybe, if you live in Dublin?

Online is often the cheapest option, but at the expense of the network of local bike shops. I only buy online what I can't get in a local shop.

Commuter Solutions became Thinkbike a loooooong time ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Has anyone bought anything from Decathlon UK to the Republic ever since they opened an online Irish store? Still cheaper to buy from them in sterling.

Yup, I've used Parcel Motel though. The Irish store has improved a bit price wise in the last few months, but the UK one still tends to have better deals.

• Advertisement

Commuter Solutions became Thinkbike a loooooong time ago.
    Oh yeah, that's right. I think it changed around when I set off on my tour of Indo-China.

I am, &c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Weepsie wrote: »
    Yup, I've used Parcel Motel though. The Irish store has improved a bit price wise in the last few months, but the UK one still tends to have better deals.

It’d be a full bike so can’t make a call on just going up and getting them to build it while I shop for other stuff or just order. Thanks for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

We are really missing a trick in this country. Can you imagine rolling through D4 on one of these! At least traffic would certainly hear you coming.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2017/nov/10/pump-up-velo-palermo-teenagers-bikes-stereos-in-pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

As much as I hate to post this:

Another cyclist was killed on Irish roads today. A 70-year-old man in a car v bicycle collision in Co. Meath.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cyclist-dies-following-crash-near-kentstown-co-meath-1.3289217?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Another cyclist was killed on Irish roads today. A 70-year-old man in a car v bicycle collision in Co. Meath.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cyclist-dies-following-crash-near-kentstown-co-meath-1.3289217?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

We cycle by there almost every Sunday ourselves
    Be careful out there
    We are all brothers and sisters on the road
    Rest in peace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Prime Irish Beef

CramCycle wrote: »
    Well I have been sent home from work after following that advice, wins all round.

Depends where you are based and if you want to try the clothes before hand, most of the established LBS in Dublin are not far from retail prices online nowadays, and you get the benefit of seeing the gear in the flesh as it were first.

After that, the Aldi stuff is grand, good quality, and more than adequate for most scenarios
    tomasrojo wrote: »

Thanks guys aaaaaand I live in Dublin. I've got a few things in Lidl/Aldi, just find my local bike shop extortionate. I'll shop around and try other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RIP

11.30am according to the news - we were on that road full of the joys on the Sunday club ride this morning probably about 15 minutes before the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Both Rob and Wishbone make interesting comments on this. It is so easy to take something as I know this place well, but so quickly that place you know well can turn bad for you, or for someone else.

Take care of yourself, and other members of the two wheels family out there, wherever there is. When someone goes out for a spin, we want them to come back.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Weepsie wrote: »

I'm assuming the stuff still comes from Belfast, they've just revamped the IE website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'm assuming the stuff still comes from Belfast, they've just revamped the IE website.

Online stuff sent from elsewhere. ROI online store is supplied by Belfast which is also why offerings are so limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Has anyone bought anything from Decathlon UK to the Republic ever since they opened an online Irish store? Still cheaper to buy from them in sterling.

Yep. Got a few things through the new An Post Address mate thingy. Pretty seamless, if not the speediest (allow about a week for delivery)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Anyone else get an e-mail from Teamer today, entitled
    "The Beast is coming to Dublin"

"ARE YOU READY TO TAKE ON THE BEAST?"

"....After a sell-out success in London, The Beast is taking over Dublin for a limited time...."

:pac:

Quoting Robert Troy, Fianna Fáil spokesperson on transport:
    https://twitter.com/ccferrie/status/930734978996101120

("the scourge of cyclists", mandatory hiviz, mandatory helmets)

I am really getting annoyed with the quality of politician from my home county election area. They just seem that bit further removed from reality than most of the rest, who are not all that close either.

• Advertisement

He's been bringing up mandatory hi-viz for some time (for pedestrians too), and plenty of people pointing out the downsides doesn't seem to have dissuaded him at all.

He strikes me as quite dangerous.

I've yet to hear him say anything about transport and climate commitments, even though we've been rated as the worst in the EU on meeting our (already watered-down) commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I had to drive into work today for the first time in a year. Why would anyone drive in Dublin daily? It took me over twice as long, cost a lot more, and didn't let me get my daily swan and rabbit interactions on the canal path. Are we as a society really this stupid?

The scourge of enjoyable commutes.

Are we as a society really this stupid?

Why yes, yes we are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I had to drive into work today for the first time in a year. Why would anyone drive in Dublin daily? It took me over twice as long, cost a lot more, and didn't let me get my daily swan and rabbit interactions on the canal path. Are we as a society really this stupid?
    the only time i ever drove to work (60km round trip on the M5), in 15 years in this building, was to pick something up that would only fit in the car.
    i had to make the trip again as soon as i got home because i realised i'd left the parcel shelf in the office car park. ergo, driving makes you stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

There seems to be a lot of confusion, locally and in the Press, about this incident.
    As I understand it now, there was no collision. The cyclist apparently got a heart attack, the motorist stopped at the scene to give assistance. The cyclist passed away.

May he rest in peace.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of confusion, locally and in the Press, about this incident.
    As I understand it now, there was no collision. The cyclist apparently got a heart attack, the motorist stopped at the scene to give assistance. The cyclist passed away.

May he rest in peace.

Theres a piece on the man in the Drogheda Independent cover and on page 3 this week. Can't say for sure but I've a feeling I've passed him out Beamore direction a few times and given and received a wave. Pat Beakey was his name.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/dr-hutch-best-components-end-up-winter-bike-358841
    The problems all started with a puncture on my winter bike, one of the exquisitely irritating variety that happen overnight in the garage and you only discover when you’re in a hurry to get out the next day. Instead of fixing it, I just took a wheel from my summer bike.

The evolution of the Frankenbike.

• Advertisement

The results can be unsettling. Last week I suddenly realised that my current winter bike is the bike I rode in the Commonwealth Games in 2002.

:-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement