Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Eamonnator wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of confusion, locally and in the Press, about this incident.
    As I understand it now, there was no collision. The cyclist apparently got a heart attack, the motorist stopped at the scene to give assistance. The cyclist passed away.

May he rest in peace.

I hope you don’t mind me asking: What’s your understanding based on?

Rumours start to fly every time there’s a cyclist in a collision. From the one near myself in Mayo and talking to witnesses and people who hear it second hand near one in Dublin, the stories can vary a lot. After the recent death in Mayo, I heard of four or five different stories.

Rural areas are possibly worse for this. It’s not the first time recently I heart attack reason — possibly confusion there is a person suffering a heart attack as a result of injuries.

In any case, here’s the full Garda press release:

Fatal Traffic Collision Co. Meath 12th November 2017

Gardaí in Navan are appealing for witness following a fatal traffic collision on the N2 Balrath Co. Meath.

At approximately 11.30am Gardaí attended the scene of an incident involving a car and a cyclist on the R153 Balrath near Kentstown. A 70-year-old male cyclist was removed from the scene by ambulance to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda where he was later pronounced dead. The driver of the car, a woman in her 40s, was uninjured in the collision.

Garda forensic collision investigators are at scene and the road remains closed to traffic. The local Coroner has been notified.

Gardaí are appealing for witnesses and in particular to anyone who travelling on the R153 in Balrath between 11am and 11.30am to contact them. Anyone with information is asked to contact Navan Garda Station at 0469036100 or the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111.

Ref 1131/’17

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. Why would anyone drive in Dublin daily? ....
    Many employees are required to utilise their own transport while at work as they are not based in the same location all day and therefore don't have the luxury of cycling or using public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Many employees are required to utilise their own transport while at work as they are not based in the same location all day and therefore don't have the luxury of cycling or using public transport.

Yup :(

Currently I'm having to drive the few hundred yards to work because I have off site meetings all over Dublin at the moment. Can't exactly meet clients in padded shorts either so need to use the car. Going to a meeting in the Leeson St area from Ballyfermot would require more than one mode of public transport or long walks which aren't feasible during working hours.

Currently I'm having to drive the few hundred yards to work because I have off site meetings all over Dublin at the moment. Can't exactly meet clients in padded shorts either so need to use the car. Going to a meeting in the Leeson St area from Ballyfermot would require more than one mode of public transport or long walks which aren't feasible during working hours.
    I've arrived in work a few times in Lycra only for my manager to inform me that she's sending me to a meeting in another county. She doesn't be too impressed when I have to cycle home again to get the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I guess it varies from person to person, but I would definitely just cycle from Ballyfermot to Leeson Street, in normal clothes at a modest pace. I think it would take a bit over half an hour, which is not a lot longer than any other option.

If it was raining you mightn't be presentable at the other end though.

My wife doesn't cycle, but gets public transport to work. When she has meetings off site within Dublin she gets public transport when it's practical, and a taxi when not. Some businesses do a deal with GoCar so employees can use a GoCar instead of a taxi.

There are practical limits, and maybe it's just too much of a pain, but I think most people's work would allow them not drive without enormous inconvenience.

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I guess it varies from person to person, but I would definitely just cycle from Ballyfermot to Leeson Street, in normal clothes at a modest pace. I think it would take a bit over half an hour, which is not a lot longer than any other option.

If it was raining you mightn't be presentable at the other end though.

My wife doesn't cycle, but gets public transport to work. When she has meetings off site within Dublin she gets public transport when it's practical, and a taxi when not. Some businesses do a deal with GoCar so employees can use a GoCar instead of a taxi.

There are practical limits, and maybe it's just too much of a pain, but I think most people's work would allow them not drive without enormous inconvenience.

I'm not ruining my suit on the bike! Would also have laptop etc and I'd be sitting in any meetings worried sick about the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, it probably varies from bike to bike as much as from person to person!

I used to bring the folding bike when I had a meeting on Thomas Street, but actually I think I'd have been ok with the tourer, the Fahgettaboudit and the Kryptolok. I've locked up with them at night on Thomas Street with no problems, so not sure why I didn't trust them for lunch-time parking.

The tourer is grand for keeping formal wear clean. Guess a full-on road bike wouldn't do the trick.

(I use a netbook for meetings and it fits in my mini messenger bag.)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm not ruining my suit on the bike! Would also have laptop etc and I'd be sitting in any meetings worried sick about the bike
    Scooter or e-bike with chaincase and mudguards is perfect for that. But either one of those also carries a theft risk.

Taxi!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

monument wrote: »
    I hope you don’t mind me asking: What’s your understanding based on?

Rumours start to fly every time there’s a cyclist in a collision. From the one near myself in Mayo and talking to witnesses and people who hear it second hand near one in Dublin, the stories can vary a lot. After the recent death in Mayo, I heard of four or five different stories.

Rural areas are possibly worse for this. It’s not the first time recently I heart attack reason — possibly confusion there is a person suffering a heart attack as a result of injuries.

In any case, here’s the full Garda press release:

Fatal Traffic Collision Co. Meath 12th November 2017

Gardaí in Navan are appealing for witness following a fatal traffic collision on the N2 Balrath Co. Meath.

At approximately 11.30am Gardaí attended the scene of an incident involving a car and a cyclist on the R153 Balrath near Kentstown. A 70-year-old male cyclist was removed from the scene by ambulance to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda where he was later pronounced dead. The driver of the car, a woman in her 40s, was uninjured in the collision.

Garda forensic collision investigators are at scene and the road remains closed to traffic. The local Coroner has been notified.

Gardaí are appealing for witnesses and in particular to anyone who travelling on the R153 in Balrath between 11am and 11.30am to contact them. Anyone with information is asked to contact Navan Garda Station at 0469036100 or the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111.

Ref 1131/’17

No, of course, I don't mind.
    I live quite close to the deceased and knew him slightly.
    From speaking to locals and people familiar with the circumstances, I was given to understand the facts were as outlined in my previous post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

guys - can we leave that discussion there; until anything is confirmed officially, we generally operate a no speculation or hearsay policy here, which i hope people understand.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Scooter or e-bike with chaincase and mudguards is perfect for that. But either one of those also carries a theft risk.

Taxi!

I actually pedaled back to work after lunch because I've no meeting. Very nearly fell off while trying to clip out at the lights... I'm not wearing cycling shoes and got very confused :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It's easier not to ruin a suit on a bike than getting creased up against the seat in a car. If you have full mudguards and take it handy you'll be (figuratively) infinitely faster on a bike.

I lock my commuter all over the city and it's surrounds, laptop in bag. No excuses!

nee wrote: »
    It's easier not to ruin a suit on a bike than getting creased up against the seat in a car. If you have full mudguards and take it handy you'll be (figuratively) infinitely faster on a bike.

I lock my commuter all over the city and it's surrounds, laptop in bag. No excuses!

I'd love to be able to cycle to meetings if the truth be known, it being temporary (ongoing since July) I'm not buying a suitable bike and no way I'd lock my road bike anywhere. Our office is due to be complete next week so I can host clients and candidates alike again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm not ruining my suit on the bike!
    i haven't worn a suit in work since 2001.

I have...

I hate having to though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Has anyone bought anything of La Passione, shorts etc?
    www.lapassione.cc

recommendations if so? I need new bib shorts and it's on of the options, especially with the half price on some of them.

there's been a little bit in the press recently (well, i think i saw two stories) about the idea of a directly elected mayor for dublin. while the idea does have some merit - partly because the current occupant is a space cadet - it's an idea that terrifies me slightly. i just have visions of a single-issue candidate getting the job and fouling up multiple other campaigns because it doesn't allow them enough space to grandstand.

good god, we could even have george hook's ego persuading him to stand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've barely worn formal attire in my entire working life unless at a conference.

A friend had to be clean shaven every day in work. That would drive me nuts.

what sort of job requires that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Twas a fairly big corporate property job, lots of meeting clients and the like but they had it as company policy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

nee wrote: »

I’m not sure about Lollipop J but I can barely wear jeans on a bike. Wear a hole in crotch in a matter of weeks (no matter how expensive or tight or slack they are). I also sweat a huge amount so if there’s no shower waiting for me I’m in trouble. Even at easy pace. Nightmare. I’ve even ruined my tracksuit bottoms just cycling to gym. No idea why though. Legs are not big.

In old job I initially drove everyday, then started taking Dart but then had to drive when child came along. Then we moved and I could cycle to work and use one of the company cars when client or printer visits were required. Plus they had a shower then. Half the staff immediately started cycling. The car commute was a killer.

It’s a catch 22 isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I always tip my hat to people with kids who still use the bike as means of getting their kids from a to b rather than jump in car like many others for short trips.

i sometimes pass a chap hauling his kid behind him on a bike cycling up newtownpark avenue, on the steep bit.

Before I changed direction I was an Account Manager for a large confectionery company dealing with the multiples. Clean shaven and full suit was a must.

I would also be similar to Harry, if I wore a suit on the bike it wouldn't be long before I've worn a hole in the crotch plus I tend to get sweaty on the bike.

Although today is Friday so jeans and a hoody today, no meetings so I actually strolled in to work. It's actually not worth the cycle, I left at 8.45 and was at my desk at 8.55

my work situation is relatively unusual. the last time i physically met my boss was may 2015 IIRC, and i can work from home whenever i want, so could turn up at meetings without trousers and no-one would be any the wiser.

plus, my boss follows me on strava and is happy enough with me grabbing the odd hour and a half on the bike at lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Has anyone bought anything of La Passione, shorts etc?
    www.lapassione.cc

recommendations if so? I need new bib shorts and it's on of the options, especially with the half price on some of them.

The bibs are really nice, punch well above their weight. They've the same pad as the Rapha shorts, at a fraction of the price. I have a full kit of theirs, jersey, socks, shorts, arm warmers, gilet. All top notch.

German man reunited with car he parked in 1997 and thought was stolen. €40,000 in cash still in boot.

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/2017/1117/920842-parked-car/

This was served to me as a 'suggested post' on Facebook.

http://www.flanaganandco.com/b/how-to-avoid-personal-injury-as-a-cyclist-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

German man reunited with car he parked in 1997 and thought was stolen. €40,000 in cash still in boot.

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/2017/1117/920842-parked-car/

Wtf. I read that story earlier to find out where it was all this time, I never read about all the money in the boot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

The money was in a different story - car in Munich and lost for 2 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement