Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

What a load of bo***cks! Kids are getting obese, and that’s a problem, but we can’t deal with kids cycling.

Ditch a couple of parking spaces, add in a few bike stands to them, and it’s sorted!

The worst of it is they have bike parking spaces, 40 of them, that haven't been at capacity. The church next to the school offered to let the young woman park in their grounds.

"The school told Liveline in a statement it did not have the space for bikes. And it was also concerned at the number of vehicles on the roads outside the school."

:mad::rolleyes::mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that student really should challenge the principal to go cycling with her.

reminds me in an obtuse way of a case frank mcdonald in the irish times was contacted about, roughly 20 years ago. a bank manager AIB or BOI, i think, was given a company car, but was a cyclist and cycled to work. he was ordered to start driving to work, as it was wasting this precious car which they'd given him, but IIRC the bank eventually backed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

nee wrote: »
    Principal bans kids from cycling to school:
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-kids-banned-cycling-school/
    :rolleyes:

At the minute I need to bring the car to work, our office is being renovated and I'm up and down to various hotels to meet candidates and clients all day, I can't get out of where I live in the mornings due to the amount of parents dropping the kids to school - local people dropping to a local school that is served by bus/luas and footpaths.

Cycling to school should and needs to be encouraged.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Strava global heatmap, pretty cool :cool:

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#3.00/-41.79844/46.02847/hot/all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

colm18 wrote: »

Hats off to the lads logging commutes in Svalbard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

daragh_ wrote: »
    Hats off to the lads logging commutes in Svalbard

Logging Snowmobile rides?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Thud wrote: »
    Logging Snowmobile rides?

fat bikes! check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭guanciale

What isninteresting (& alarming) is the extent to which one can make out individual contributions to meta data.
    There is a road near where I live and only 8 riders are recorded as using it while on Strava - yet it can make it out clearly on the map.

Big brother may not be watching but if he wanted to he certainly could. . . and we actually volunteered for this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

alarming in what sense? i.e. what nefarious uses can the data be put to?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

KOM-promat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm obviously missing something but what does it mean? no guide to different colours etc

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'm obviously missing something but what does it mean? no guide to different colours etc

The brighter the line the more often used the road I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Good article (although a couple of years old now) linked from the one above...
    Don’t make bicyclists more visible. Make drivers stop hitting them.

Some of the good bits:
    Instead, what we have is an infrastructure optimized for private vehicles and a nation of subsidized drivers who balk at the idea of subsidizing any other form of transit, and who react to a parking ticket as though they’ve been crucified.
    And
    We’re already at the point where every car-on-bike “accident” (police always assume it’s an accident; drivers are allowed unlimited “oopsies”) is always the cyclist’s fault, and where helmetlessness automatically equals guilt. That’s why whenever you read about a cyclist who’s been injured or killed, the article mentions helmets, regardless of whether this detail in any way relevant. (“The cyclist’s legs were flattened by the runaway steamroller. No criminality suspected. The victim was not wearing a helmet.”)
    Must send this on to the RSA... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If you are not up to anything illegal or something secretive then probably not much.

However if I was to take up a criminal career I wouldn't use social media at all; twitter, snapchat etc. You don't need to be NSA or CIA etc to gleam a lot of info from them

yeah, i'd be a hell of a lot more worried about the sneaky (well, sneaky depending on your point of view) way your android phone may be tracking your every move, compared to a system where you explicitly opt in to record your movements, and stop recording at the end.

someone knowing where i've been cycling would be the least of my worries in terms of data protection. partly because i know the extent of the data i'm submitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One of the interesting aspects is that you can see what shortcuts (if any), others have discovered on your route, which you may not be aware of.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ford2600 wrote: »
    If you are not up to anything illegal or something secretive then probably not much.

However if I was to take up a criminal career I wouldn't use social media at all; twitter, snapchat etc. You don't need to be NSA or CIA etc to gleam a lot of info from them
    yeah, i'd be a hell of a lot more worried about the sneaky (well, sneaky depending on your point of view) way your android phone may be tracking your every move, compared to a system where you explicitly opt in to record your movements, and stop recording at the end.

someone knowing where i've been cycling would be the least of my worries in terms of data protection. partly because i know the extent of the data i'm submitting.

Google have it on android phones, and its not even an opt in feature. Look up google location, even with GPS off, it takes alot of info up.

I don't take part in illegal activity that I am either aware of or worry if I got caught and it is all anonymous but if someone got access to it, they would have a very good overview of where i go most days, what times I typically leave at, when would be the most opportune time to rob my house basically, or my shed.

I don't mind strava as I put in privacy areas but the general google one is far more worrying if anyone got access to it.

The limited social media I use, I have a different DOB to my own, typically most info I put up that is personal is slightly wrong, so that hopefully it would be harder to commit fraud, as it is enough to fail an authentication at a bank. This said, the amount of times, bank authorisation have slipped up and finished my address for me is shocking as well. I always find it funny when they ring up and ask you to confirm who you are. When you point out that they rang you and that it is their job to confirm, they seem confused.

Using my boards account alone, you could easily gleam my name, rough address, workplace but again, there are enough errors in there that a proper authentication should fail.

This said, if pushed, people can get my UCI number relatively easily and clarify a few things that way, it is shocking that the info in that is so readily available as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

CramCycle wrote: »
    Google have it on android phones, and its not even an opt in feature. Look up google location, even with GPS off, it takes alot of info up.

I don't take part in illegal activity that I am either aware of or worry if I got caught and it is all anonymous but if someone got access to it, they would have a very good overview of where i go most days, what times I typically leave at, when would be the most opportune time to rob my house basically, or my shed.

I don't mind strava as I put in privacy areas but the general google one is far more worrying if anyone got access to it.

The limited social media I use, I have a different DOB to my own, typically most info I put up that is personal is slightly wrong, so that hopefully it would be harder to commit fraud, as it is enough to fail an authentication at a bank. This said, the amount of times, bank authorisation have slipped up and finished my address for me is shocking as well. I always find it funny when they ring up and ask you to confirm who you are. When you point out that they rang you and that it is their job to confirm, they seem confused.

Using my boards account alone, you could easily gleam my name, rough address, workplace but again, there are enough errors in there that a proper authentication should fail.

This said, if pushed, people can get my UCI number relatively easily and clarify a few things that way, it is shocking that the info in that is so readily available as well.

The main use for non criminals is to sell us stuff with targeted adds.

For criminals, with a whole host of data protection breaches, one small link is all is needed to track movements and build your network.

I met a guy last year who does it for a living. Frightening given how relatively cheap it is and how low tech it is; think laptop rather than a Cray computer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Speaking of.

Has anyone had any experience good/bad or otherwise of setting up a workplace or corporate strava club?

• Advertisement

Speaking of.

Has anyone had any experience good/bad or otherwise of setting up a workplace or corporate strava club?

As a side, an ex-colleague of mine was presented with printouts of his Strava page at a disciplinary. Field Sales Rep who was out on his bike when supposed to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

What can be the potential bad experience? In worst case people will get bored to track its leaderboard, or too competitive ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As a side, an ex-colleague of mine was presented with printouts of his Strava page at a disciplinary. Field Sales Rep who was out on his bike when supposed to be working.

One thing i am glad of in regards my Strava page is that if I was ever accused of coming in late, I would show them my going home time.

my boss follows me on strava.
    however, when i cycle in, i'm usually in before him - and he's in germany, which translates to over an hour earlier than him in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

All I can say is that I hope they are getting well paid for appearing at all of these criteriums!!

sptdw20087_670.jpg

CramCycle wrote: »
    One thing i am glad of in regards my Strava page is that if I was ever accused of coming in late, I would show them my going home time.

To be fair, this guy deserved it, the place we worked were really easygoing and it was a case of carry your weight and do what you like after. This guy was a drain on resources and quick to blame everybody else for his own shortcomings. Adding his direct manager on Strava was just the tip of his stupidity

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

All I can say is that I hope they are getting well paid for appearing at all of these criteriums!!

sptdw20087_670.jpg

Is that Stiffler on the Left???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

tomasrojo wrote: »

Your cleverness has been noticed. Oh yes, it's been noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tomasrojo wrote: »

I'm a bit conflicted about this sort of thing. Convenience, privacy, pick one! Well that's hard.

I recently changed my Google Trusted Contacts settings to continuously make available my location to my spouse. I figured the loss of privacy (which is only an imagined benefit as I have a boring life) was worth it to end the "WTF are you?" phone calls when I'm out on the bike.

This morning I arrived home from a three hour cycle to find, for the first time ever, a full cooked breakfast being served up just as I came through the door. The mushrooms were even hot, and mushrooms are never hot.

"Aha, serendipity!" I said.
    "No, I just tracked you on my phone".

So that's the privacy dilemma manifested. Pros: serendipitous breakfasts. Cons: can't have affair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lumen wrote: »
    ...Cons: can't have affair.
    Why would you want to if there's a fully cooked breakfast waiting for you when you finish a ride? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement