Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Some things need to be said.

No they don't.

A member of parliament getting policy ideas on road safety from taxi drivers is a pretty rich vein of stupidity to mine for humour/scorn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I suspect people should do some research on who Martin is and why he may use Taxis rather than walk or cycle. With vision as poor as his (he is legally blind with 20%, maybe less of his sight remaining), suggesting cycling shows poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

CramCycle wrote: »
    I suspect people should do some research on who Martin is and why he may use Taxis rather than walk or cycle. With vision as poor as his (he is legally blind with 20%, maybe less of his sight remaining), suggesting cycling shows poor form.

If you're going to pull me up on making comments then do so, which to be fair were probably out of line and I've no problem saying that, but suggesting researching a person before saying they should cycle is just downright silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A couple of Gardai were pulling in cyclists on Dame Street (Dublin) this evening just after the junction with South Great Georges Street (heading towards College Green). They were 'taking names' from about 5 or 6 already stopped and were indicating to other cyclists to pull over while writing up the ones already stopped.

You'd want to be pretty stupid to sail through a red light under the nose of the Gardai especially when they had already visibly apprehended a group of cyclists for doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

On the other hand taking Taxi driver's rants as the basis for public policy making, actually is obscenely irresponsible

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

give him a break, he's a senator. he's obviously not top drawer material.
    (i say that while actually knowing a senator who's very good, so now i feel guilty)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

On the other hand taking Taxi driver's rants as the basis for public policy making, actually is obscenely irresponsible

Well I guess you could say that about any group of people's concerns that politician's take on. In fact it's an important part of the process tbf. Not in a parish pump kind of a way, but in a connected to its citizens, reflexive and responsive kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

nee wrote: »
    Well I guess you could say that about any group of people's concerns that politician's take on. In fact it's an important part of the process tbf. Not in a parish pump kind of a way, but in a connected to its citizens, reflexive and responsive kind of way.

Yes but you wouldn't take that citizen /mob opinion in lieu of balanced expert analysis.

Unless of course you were a perilously irresponsible political hack like...this country needs a better class of voter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

(i say that while actually knowing a senator who's very good, so now i feel guilty)

Ronan Mullen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

RobFowl wrote: »
    Ronan Mullen ?

Palpatine.

Look at what he did for Naboo. Put it on the map he did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

lennymc wrote: »
    Palpatine.

Mesaa veree sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Jeez.... I make one stupid and irresponsible comment and look what i started. My apologies for he comment. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't think that being a bit blind is a defence against being a lazy tub of lard who takes policy advice from taxi drivers.

We have fully blind people competing internationally in cycling.

Of course one can argue that making jokes about people's physical appearance is poor form, but that's a completely separate issue.

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't think that being a bit blind is a defence against being a lazy tub of lard who takes policy advice from taxi drivers.

I was saying being blind is why he maybe doesn't cycle everywhere. I lived with a blind guy for 3 years, once the training of his routes was done, there was very little need for any assistance, I often noted he was more situationaly aware than most pedestrians. This said the senator may actually walk a good bit, and only use taxis for long distance or unusual routes where he isn't sure.
    Of course one can argue that making jokes about people's physical appearance is poor form, but that's a completely separate issue.
    Indeed, there are people I cycle with who are half my size and fitter but there are also ones twice my size and also far fitter. I look around me when commuting and we range quite a bit physical appearance, but if someone turned to me and said, your a bit fat, have you considered cycling more, while i would get where they were coming from, I could lose a few pounds, it's hardly appropriate, all I was saying, the senator could be in the gym every morning for all we know.

The other point was, taking advice from what could only be considered a biased group is idiotic and the only way it should have been used was for further investigation and find out some facts, not to pass comments in the public sphere about it as if it were in someway a real issue. This said, it is quite common for the political classes to do this when it suits.

He should be laughed at for that, nothing else that was mentioned though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Who have pilots. You wanna offer to be his pilot?

On the bus this morning, which takes almost the same route that I cycle to work.

Interesting the subtle differences, slower, more tired, little interaction with other people, cost me more money, still a slightly more positive experience than driving.

Who have pilots. You wanna offer to be his pilot?
    He wouldn't want me, I have neither the engine nor the bike control :D

They have pilots when competing, but AFAIK turbo trainers don't need pilots.

He wouldn't want me, I have neither the engine nor the bike control :D

They have pilots when competing, but AFAIK turbo trainers don't need pilots.
    I always feel like I am going to be late when I get on the turbo to go to work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I always feel like I am going to be late when I get on the turbo to go to work :(
    You won't bother any taxi drivers that way though.

Maybe tandem taxis are the answer. They'd be a lot faster than those crappy tourist rickshaws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

Article in the Guardian about a bike share company that went bust look at the pile of bikes left over!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/25/chinas-bike-share-graveyard-a-monument-to-industrys-arrogance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

lennymc wrote: »
    Palpatine.

Reminds me that someone asked on Twitter the other day why the Jedi Knights in the prequels dress like a guy who was hiding out in the desert years later trying not to look like a Jedi.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Was asked to remove my bike helmet and hat this morning in the Blanchardstown shopping centre. I did so, but asked why. "Private property, we want to be able to see everyone's face clearly" I'm told as dozens of people swan around in hats and scarfs..

He was just doing his job, and I get it with full face helmets, but still seems a pointless policy

Single-speed sort of question:

I changed the chain on the bakfiets today, except that I can't get the final rivet in at the end, because the chain is too tight (I did it the old-fashioned way, with a chain tool, not using the power link, and obviously there's no slack, as no derailleur and no chain tensioner).

If I swap out some links to facilitate using the power link, will that mean I don't have to take off the rear wheel to temporarily introduce some slack?

tomasrojo wrote: »
    If I swap out some links to facilitate using the power link, will that mean I don't have to take off the rear wheel to temporarily introduce some slack?

If I understand you right, then yes, if the two ends of the chain are almost touching, no need to introduce slack as the extra link will catch but they have to be very close already.

Yeah, sorry about weird phrasing. What I mean is I've already cut the chain to the correct length, but by doing it the old way, without the power link, I can't get the two ends to line up closely enough to press home the rivet to close the chain. It's very close, but they're a fraction of a mm off.

So I'll try the power-link way. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

If you can run the chain off the chainring so it's loose in your hand to join, then you should be able to run it back onto the chainring when you're done. You're supposed to have a bit of slack in the chain anyway IIRC.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    If you can run the chain off the chainring so it's loose in your hand to join, then you should be able to run it back onto the chainring when you're done. You're supposed to have a bit of slack in the chain anyway IIRC.

Oh, that's worth a shot. If I can't get it back on to the chain ring after, it's no harm, as I'll need to cut off a bit of the chain anyway to make room for the power link bit, if I go the power-link route.

Thanks!

(The replacement chain now has as many links as the chain that came with the bike, and that original chain was a bit slack when new.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone using Three pre pay credit for Strava premium should look at it as it seems Three are or have removed 3 pay as an option in Google Play Store.

I currently have a thread open to get this confirmed in "talk to " forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement