Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭dunnerc

How does Leaving Cork Down Antrim Kerry Galway Mayo etc as single teams help Leitrim Longford Carlow etc ?

Splitting Dublin will not help weaker Counties they cant compete against the above mentioned Counties and it most definitely wouldn't help Dublin , this has been explained to you over and over again , it will only help a handful of Counties " of which your County is no doubt one of "

As i have said before Cork 500.000 V Leitrim 37,000 is not negligible 14 times the difference . Dublin 1,300,000 V Cork 500,000 is negligible in comparison.

Keep trying though tis great crack so it is .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Leaving non-Dublin counties intact helps smaller counties as it enhances the integrity and prestige of the competition. As only Dublin are unfairly advantaged, only Dublin should be split. If Dublin only had a massive population, the size of which makes the differences between other counties negligible by comparison, they could just be split. If Dublin only played at home, they could just move out for major games. If Dublin only had a massive funding advantage for decades, we could just take steps to equalise that with other counties. But take all those advantages in combination and enforce them for decades and it's clear at least a 4-way split is necessary to save the competition and help it in all counties. This is because any county who competes in the All-Ireland is helped by enhancing the prestige and integrity of the competition, which is what the result will be if Dublin are split and no other county is. You can see from the figures given how much larger the gap between Dublin and Leitrim is vs Cork and Leitrim. So the gap between Cork and Leitrim is negligible compared to the Dublin gap.

Dublin are not the only County unfairly advantaged, Cork Kerry Galway Mayo Down Antrim Derry etc all have population and funding advantages over Leitrim Longford Carlow Sligo etc, what's clear here is you see what you want to see and your County is one of the few that would benefit from splitting Dublin . Anyway splitting Counties is not going to happen , but keep on with the nonsense , tis great crack so it is .🤣

I'm glad you accept that Dublin are unfairly advantaged. I definitely agree with you there and it's good that you can admit how unfairly advantaged they are.

But you're ignoring the issue of scale here. A county with a population of 155k vs another of 150k technically has a population advantage but it's so small as to more or less not matter. Whereas Dublin vastly outstrips everyone else, including Cork, which is itself a massive outlier. Same for funding- there are discrepancies between other counties but Dublin is by far and away the most advantaged. Playing finals and semi-finals at home has no parallel for any other county too.

I answered you question about how splitting Dublin helps all counties (especially Dublin) and how not splitting other counties also helps all counties. You've yet to answer my question- I think you're too biased to be able to deal with it tbh, unlike people like who can analyse things in a neutral and unbiased way.

• Advertisement

Your ignoring that Cork Antrim Down etc are unfairly advantaged and have up to 14 times the population and more funding than Leitrim Longford Carlow etc

I Think your to biased and anti Dublin to analyse things in a neutral unbiased way tbh . Croke Park is in Dublin, if Dublin qualify for semi finals and finals they are played in Croke Park sure lobby the GAA to move it to Cork , whinging on here will get you nowhe

I answered your question about splitting Dublin would only help a handful of Counties Kerry Tyrone Mayo Cork Galway " i have no doubt it would benefit your County" which amazingly but not surprisingly you never mention. it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to Leitrim Longford Carlow Sligo etc and it especially wouldnt help Dublin.

But sure continue on with this nonsense , tis great crack so it is .

If you accept that Cork's, Down's etc. population is an issue, then as Dublin is much larger you must view that as a comparatively larger problem. So I agree here that Dublin should be split. Same for funding. Scale matters here- I don't know what is confusing to you about this. Small discrepancies are tolerable but discrepancies off the scale like in Dublin's case have to be rectified. Glad you accept that Croke Park is an advantage too.

You haven't answered my question about how leaving Dublin as a single, massively unfairly advantaged team vs everyone else helps- please do so.

I never accepted Croke Park is an advantage , you seem to think it is , i said whinging about it here will change nothing.

I accept Leitrim Longford Carlow Sligo etc will never be able to compete with the bigger Counties so i agree several Counties would need to be split , i don't see what is confusing to you about this , discrepancies like 500,000 population v 37000 population are off the scale also and would also need to be rectified

I answered you several times , splitting Dublin will not help Leitrim Longford Carlow they cant compete against a single unfairly advantaged Kerry Cork Derry etc with there population and superior funding

You havn't answered my question how leaving a leaving Cork Down Kerry Mayo Derry as single massively unfairly advantaged teams v Leitrim Longford Carlow etc helps -please do also

I notice you havn't revealed who your County is , i wonder why 😏 please do so

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭NJSC1980

Splitting Dublin is a terrible idea - you can't just throw away 14 decades of tradition and heritage just like that.

Setting up new county boards would involve a financial cost. Dissolving the current county board is not as straightforward as you think.

The new county boards would require their own club hurling and club football championships - the existing club championships would become defunct. That matters - you can't just disregard the county's history like that. You can't just disregard what the county means to its own supporters.

You're talking about family tradition - how many of us remember being brought to our first game by our parents - there are Dublin fans who look forward to taking their place on Hill 16 who have had conversations with their parents and grandparents about what it was like to follow Dublin on Hill 16 in the 70's and 80's. A bit cringey perhaps but that type of thing really matters at the end of the day. The GAA playing children of county Dublin dream of playing for Dublin - not 'South Dublin' or whatever else. In the same way that a kid in Leitrim dreams of playing for Leitrim and not a Leitrim-Longford amalgamation.

Punishing a team out of existence for getting their house in order is not the way forward - Dublin were derided for winning only one title during the years in between 1983 and 2011. It's hard not to dismiss as sour grapes the calls to disband them in response to producing arguably the greatest ever team to play the game.

The funding model absolutely needs to be changed - counties who need it the most should be prioritised - introduce cost caps on spending on inter county teams - the GAA could definitely introduce a fairer fund distribution model. But leave Dublin alone. Great teams come and go - Cody and Kilkenny won 11 out of 16 titles between 2000 and 2015 - Dublin have won 9 of the last 13. Kerry won 8 of 12 under Micko. I wouldn't be panicking especially given Dublin have been competitive but far from dominant at underage level in the last decade.

• Advertisement

Wait so you think playing at home in sports isn't an advantage? That's a strange position.

500k vs 37k is neglible relative to 1.3m vs 37k- combine that with the funding and everything else and we're left with the conclusion that Dublin alone should be split. As I've said before, minor discrepancies are fine but Dublin's ones are off the scale and are significant in every major area.

You still haven't answered my question as to why leaving Dublin as a single team helps Leitrim, Carlow etc- please do so. I have given an answer as to how leaving Cork, Down etc helps all counties- it enhances the prestige, fairness and integrity of the competition, just as splitting Dublin does.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

You really need to move on, and accept the status quo. Its like saying we should split Brazil in four because of the population advantage they have when it comes to soccer. The GAA were trying to encourage participation in Dublin. A lot of people don't realise that there are huge parts of Dublin where there is little or no GAA played. There are actually more GAA clubs in Cork than there is in Dublin. And by the way, Croke Park is not Dublin's home ground, Parnell Park is.

It's with a heavy heart that I and many others want to Dublin to be split into 4+ teams. If not for the terrible mismanagement by the GAA for decades perhaps only a two-way split for population would be necessary but sadly, that's no longer the case. There is no animosity towards Dublin here- in fact, the game within Dublin will be the most enhanced, as more players get to compete at the highest level.

We're not saying their won't be some short-term upheaval but in time, this will settle and the game will be massively enhanced for everyone, both in the short and long-term. Dublin supporters will quickly row in behind their new divisional sides, especially as more of their own clubmates would be competing. I don't agree with your point on club championships within Dublin being diminished, they'd be enhanced if anything.

I agree on your points on the funding. But unlike Kilkenny, Dublin were always unfairly advantaged (even when not winning every year). If they won fairly people wouldn't object, but sadly that has not been the case. And because the unfair advantages have been concentrated into Dublin for decades, they'll have to be split to help the GAA deal with this issue. The good news, for Dublin fans and supporters around the country, is that it will help essentially everyone.

Not at all. The status quo is terribly unfair so why accept it? I want the GAA to be improved, for all counties.

Croke Park is Dublin's de facto home ground- they've played all their home league games there since 2010.

Brazil have a large population, true, but they aren't a unique outlier, whereas Dublin are. There are far more GAA players in Dublin than any other county, as well as having a larger pool to begin with. And you haven't even paid attention to the funding. You need to be more unbiased and at the very least accept Dublin are unfairly advantaged vs everyone else.

Again it wouldn't help Dublin , it would only help a handful of Counties

What a load of nonsense ,whats strange is you refuse to reveal what County you are from , obviously splitting Dublin would help your County

You have come to the conclusion Dublin should be split , do something about it so , your wasting your time here thats for sure

I never said leaving Dublin as a single team helps Leitrim , what i actually said was splitting Dublin alone would not help Leitrim etc

Leitrim Longford etc cant compete with Cork Kerry Galway Down Derry etc, prestige fairness and integrity my a--e ,there is no fairness prestige and integrity for the Leitrims longfords etc

Again It would not be enhanced for everyone , only a handful of Counties "and your own County of course" Dublin supporters would never row in quickly with this not ever , The good news is this will never happen but please continue on with this nonsense tis great crack so it is .

All the big counties have plenty of funding and want for nothing , yes its terribly unfair for the weaker smaller Counties like Leitrim Longford etc

You need to be more anti Dublin and at least accept that the larger Counties have an unfair advantage vs the weaker Counties

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

What would the borders of the 4 new counties you would split Dublin into? 2 northside and 2 southside ?

I wouldn't be splitting Dublin atall atall 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭NJSC1980

If financial resources and playing numbers were a solid indicator of success then how come Cork and Dublin have not met in an All-Ireland hurling final for 71 years? In terms of teams registered in 2020 dividing Dublin in two just doesn't stack up. They actually have less registered teams than Cork. The discussion should not be framed around splitting Dublin up - distribution of resources is the primary issue.

financial resources

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

You continue to embarrass yourself and display your one-eyed, partisan nonsense for all to see.

It is as plain as day that you are, again, hiding behind the "its for the good of the game, won't someone think of the poor wee counties" crap that you've been spouting for weeks/months at this stage, when the reality is that you just want to hobble the Dubs to make it easier for 3 or 4 other counties to win.

Like being slapped in the face with a wet fish, it's that obvious.

......I mean, I can practically hear your erection getting bigger as you typed this....

It's with a heavy heart that I and many others want to Dublin to be split into 4+ teams

So let's spell it out for you, in language that even the most rural of plough-jockeys can understand.

You think Dublin has an advantage over Cork because of population and funding, therefore they need to be split. Dublin has more people and more money than Cork, therefore at least a 4-way split needs to take place, according to you, for the good of the game. What has been pointed out to you multiple times, however, is that this discrepancy exists between Cork and loads of other counties also, to a much higher degree.

You're saying the difference between Dublin and X is greater than Cork and X. This is true, but you're not comparing like with like. You're pointing at Dublin saying they're three times the population of Cork so a split needs to take place, while ignoring that Cork is 14 times the population of Leitrim. If Dublin need to be split in three so Cork are playing on a level ground, then Cork need to be split in 14 so that Leitrim has a level ground, using the same logic. This is bunleibhéal maths that even a blind person could see.

You're saying Dublin gets twice what [insert county here] gets in development funding, while ignoring the fact that that same county gets 4, 6 or 8 times the funding that Carlow gets.

You're literally contradicting yourself and negating your own points in the same sentence.

If a bigger population and more money = an unfair advantage, then it is equally as unfair when it's Cork vs Louth, or Galway vs Leitrim, or Kilkenny vs Carlow, as it is with Dublin vs Cork.

They are not uniquely advantaged in this regard, that's your own coping mechanism to deal with your contradictions

This will not help the minnows to progress and improve, you're only pretending it will to make it look like you've only the best interests of GAA/football at heart, as it makes you look less like a bloke with a chip on your shoulder. Very balanced folks, though, the culchies. Most have a chip on both shoulders.

"Leaving non-Dublin counties intact helps smaller counties as it enhances the integrity and prestige of the competition"......he says, while single-handedly advocating that the prestige and integrity of the competition will be completely compromised if he gets his way.

Dublin will not be split, not in two, four or any number you can think of. Alienating nearly a third of your fanbase, who are responsible for the majority of your gate receipts is a fool's errand. Don't believe me?.........why do the rest of Leinster not ask for Dublin's matches to be moved from Croker? They regularly meet to discuss the forthcoming championship and year after year, there's zero opposition to the arrangement continuing because facing Dublin in Croker is a huge payday for the other county boards. If they thought it was that much of an advantage, they'd kick up a stink. But they don't.

So you accept that leaving Dublin as a single team doesn't help Leitrim. And yet I've provided evidence for why splitting Dublin helps Leitrim. We should be on the same side on this argument, you're halfway there already. Leitrim and Longford can compete with all the teams you have listed- Dublin are the only team unfairly advantaged so once they are split a fair competition is possible, which helps all counties.

Why look at clubs and not registered players? You're deliberately trying to mislead people there. Fortunately, I can see through it. Dublin have the most registered players and by far the largest population pool, at a scale that is unfair to everyone else, unlike more minor discrepancies between other counties which are negligible compared to Dublin. Plus as Dublin's playing pool is so much larger than everyone else, it means the likelihood of having a larger absolute number of top-quality players who can be identified and nurtured at a young age is correspondingly larger. This helps retain these players to enhance the game in Dublin in a way that is not possible anywhere else. As it happens, this is good for the game as a whole too, provided Dublin are split. But this is essentially the way the population/funding/home advantage model that Dublin have used to win All-Ireland's has worked- a larger population provides a higher number of top-quality players. The funding advantage helps develop these players to their max potential. Playing at home helps Dublin win tight games they would lose if playing elsewhere.

You're just looking at the outputs though (matches won, All-Ireland finals reached etc.). What's more important is the inputs into team performance though. In Dublin's case these inputs an enormous population, funding etc. So even if they don't win every year they are still unfairly advantaged. Just as if a rugby team took steroids but didn't win every year, they are also unfairly advantaged.

I agree distribution of resources is an issue, that's why I'm in favour of equalising it across counties. But one of the best ways of distributing resources more fairly would be to do so across 4+ subdivisional county teams, rather than just concentrating the resources into a single one.

I dont accept anything you say , you have provided no evidence that splitting Dublin helps Leitrim , i said splitting Dublin or not makes no difference to Leitrim Longford etc as these weaker Counties cant compete with Cork Kerry Galway Mayo etc , please try harder , we will never be on the same side , stop dreaming lol....

Again Dublin are not the only team unfairly advantaged , what is it so hard for you to understand you poor individual , Dublin wont be split but keep going with your nonsense tis great crack so it is

Oh again you never answered why don't you reveal which County you are from ?

Not partisan, I just want what is best for gaelic games in all counties- including Dublin. If a Dublin sub-divisional side won fairly every year, I'd be delighted for them. But we all know that is not the case for Dublin currently.

Your tired, stale points have been dealt with by me and others many times already but I'll humour you for now and answer them again. In absolute terms, which is the most important, no county is anywhere near as populated as Dublin, as well funded as Dublin etc. The gap between Dublin and Cork, also a massive statistical outlier, is larger in absolute terms than Cork and Leitrim. Any of these advantages alone would be grounds for a split, but combine the scale of Dublin's advantages with the fact they have been going on for decades and that they are unique in their combination, means a split is the best way forward. Minor discrepancies can be tolerated but not ones as large as Dublin's. As I've said before, it's the combination, nature, scale and duration of Dublin's advantages that mean they need to be split, not just any one of those things individually (population alone is grounds for a two-way split given how much larger they are, but the other ones means a larger split is desirable).

So I haven't contradicted myself anywhere and the discrepancy between e.g. Cork and other counties is not anywhere near the scale of the gap between Dublin and other counties, on any of these criteria- hence why Dublin, and Dublin alone, should be split. As the competition becomes fairer, the prestige and integrity are improved. So any county taking part in the competition benefits, which means all counties benefit.

What you're also ignoring is that as Colm O'Rourke has previously said, a split of Dublin actually helps Dublin more than any other county- more players challenging for the All-Ireland, as well as intra-Dublin rivalries developing. People may complain at the beginning but they'd rapidly row in behind their new subdivisional teams. And playing at home is absolutely an advantage for Dublin, as it is for all sports teams- make no mistake, if Dublin weren't unfairly home advantaged for all those All-Irelands from 2013-2020, they'd have lost at least one of them. No matter what some other county boards may think. Home advantage is an advantage in sport.

Basically, it's clear that Dublin alone are unfairly advantaged, so Dublin alone should be split. All counties, including Dublin would benefit from this.

Again more anti Dublin nonsense , all the top counties have plenty of funding and want for nothing , still whinging about home matches Croke Park is in Dublin , ALL Ireland semi and finals are played in Croke Park that's GAA Policy , you dont like it , do something about it , whinging on here will not help your agenda .

Again more lnonsense , you want what's best for your County . Colm O'Rourke WOW your scraping the end of the barrel now lol... Are you a Meath man ? 😁

Keep it going lad , sure tis great crack so it is

Fortunately, we can see through you , but I'll humour you for now and continue to answer your nonsense, so please carry on , tis great crack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

"I'm not partisan, I'm just going to ignore all the holes in my argument, the rank hypocrisy I'm spouting and the contradictory nature of every turd that comes out of my mouth and single out one single county for my bollocksology, all while refusing to say which county I'm from/support".

As the username says, yeah, right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement