Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭dunnerc

You are not interested in increasing the fairness , prestige and integrity of the All-Ireland your only interested in splitting Dublin to help your own County

i have pointed this out to you repeatedly , it doesnt help Dublin it weakens them , more players challenging for the All-Ireland ? , what a load of nonsense a split Dublin means no players challenging for the All-Ireland. Antrim Down Cork etc have over 14 times the population and funding advantages of Leitrim Carlow Longford etc so unfortunately a split for these Counties is now the best and only way to deal with it if a Dublin split were to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

A few things to mention after reading through the last few pages:

Mentioning Down and Antrim as being prime for a split because of population advantages is disingenuous. They may have large relative populations, but the percentage of that population who may be inclined to play Gaelic games is probably less than 40% in Antrim and a little smaller in Down.

The argument I made earlier was in respect of how Dublin loses so much talent, but that appears to be ignored by the Dublin posters on here who seemingly don't believe this to be the case. I will outline why I strongly believe that is the situation.

Over the past few years I've watched a number of my relatives play underage for my county, I did so myself many years ago - we're historically strong and indeed beat Dublin minors last weekend!!

Being from small clubs my nephews were easily identified and brought into county development squads etc from u15, 16 etc.

The teams I'm involved with in my Dublin club have multiple players at each age group at the level my nephews were at when they were comparable ages. Each age group would easily have 10 - 15 players at that level and that appears to be reflected across the board as most of the teams we play (non competitive go-games) against have the same quality. When it comes to selecting development squads etc there will be a vast number of players who won't be identified who will drift off, concentrate on other sports etc.

I think it's been mentioned before, but at least at underage level there has to be an extremely strong argument for splitting Dublin. In fact that would almost certainly benefit the Dublin senior team as it would keep more players involved who will otherwise be lost to the game. And as we all know, the best 30 u14's will almost certainly not be the best 30 u15's and definitely not the best 30 u20's!

The talent that I see on a weekly basis is phenomenal and it's a shame that it all funnels towards one team of 15 players which cannot accommodate it.

Indeed an argument could be made that the current system benefits every other county because as every manager worth his salt points out "they can only put 15 on the pitch".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,463 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The nonsense is eating away at itself at this stage.

Splitting Down and Antrim is not possible because "the percentage of that population who may be inclined to play Gaelic games is probably less than 40% in Antrim and a little smaller in Down."

In Dublin, that percentage is probably much lower, down as low as 20%, but you think Dublin should be split. Impossible to discuss this rationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭munster87

Just wondering here why you would mention splitting the top 5 populated counties and then randomly throw in the 15th most populated county in Ireland with them?

I dont want any Counties split , i was just responding to a head case on here who is obsessed with splitting Dublin , claims its in the interest of fairness etc

I jokingly added the 15th most populated county in Ireland in the interest of fairness , they win to much lol....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭munster87

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Dublin had home advantage in today's quarter-final. They will have home advantage again in the semi-final. "There's no doubt about it, when you are comfortable and you play there seven or eight times a year, you are very comfortable with the environment".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

They had home advantage in the Leinster semi and final too. The whole system is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

... and Dublin wonder why their wins do not carry the same weight in gold of respect as counties who win without home advantage e.g. Derry, Kerry and Monaghan at the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Yesterday was a sell out. 82,000 people attended at some point. What's the alternative? Significantly reduce the number of people watch the match live? Do we do the same for the semi finals and finals if Dublin are in them? It's got to have some advantage but I think the advantage is massively over stated. I'm also rather confident Mayo would have preferred to play in Croke Park yesterday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,463 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This thread resurrects itself every time Dublin win a game. It is funny.

Nothing new here. The entire system is lobsided in Dublin's favour all because they couldn't win an AI for 16 years.

Whatever about yesterday teams like cork get stafted with croker. There was 14k fans in cork for their earlier round match v Roscommon there would have been far more if they had a quarter final at home v Derry. Croker there was probably 2k.

If Dublin can get home matches for these rounds it's only fair if other counties can aswell. Remember Kerry v Limerick in croker years ago? Criminal. There should have been a coin toss for home advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I will be honest here, I think its time the rest of Leinster stop having a go at Dublin re the GDF debate. Yes Dublin were well capitalized and thankfully that is coming down.

But if you compare Meath's funding to the rest of the country, its pretty decent, and well ahead of what I would consider traditional rivals of Meath such as Cork, Mayo, Tyrone or Galway, ie counties with a similar tradition to them.

You can't blame Dublin for all Meath's issues. For some reason football has collapsed in the county and figuring out why has to be the starting point. Other counties get by with a fraction of Meaths or Kildares resources and don't complain and can compete for Sam Maguire.

So Meath people need to be honest, first and foremost, what is the real reason or reasons for their collapse and go from there. Forget about competing with Dublin, it aint going to happen soon. Try to get into division one of the league and stay there, and try to aim for AI semi-finals. If you fixate on Dublin, eventually it discourages young Meath people from taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Meh, its a double edged sword. Croke Park was an anchor around Dublin's neck for years, particularly against the likes of Kerry and Tyrone and even Meath in the 80s, 90s and 2000s. Just too much pressure and expectation on them and they usually flopped.

If you look at Mayo, Croke Park suits them perfectly and in fact no other county exploited Croke Park better than Mayo at their peak, as they ran the legs of everyone. Maybe Meath should consider this approach, ie a running game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Even just looking at registered players/members. Dublin have the most, at all age groups and that gap is growing. Combine that with their other advantages and you see how ridiculous the current situation is.

Exactly, major games being played in Croke Park is another advantage that exists to Dublin's benefit alone. They would have lost at least one of the games from 2015-20 vs Mayo if not for the home advantage, probably more.

What's funny is that some partisan supporters will deny an advantage even exists and will then argue tooth and nail against Dublin having to play away from home, even for games that are far short of sell-outs. It must be great to play all your finals alone but rest assured, it is a huge advantage and takes away from Dublin's achievements massively.

Meath's funding, like everyone other county's, is minisucle compared to what Dublin have recieved and have continued to recieve from the GAA, their sponsors, the Irish government etc. As Dublin are the main barrier to a fair Leinster competition, Meath should lobby strongly to get them split, as it is the single most important step to improving that same unfairness.

You can't blame Dublin for all of Meath's issues, true (tbh, it is not even Dublin's fault, it is the GAA's), but you can truthfully say they are the beneficiary of an extraordinary combination of unfair advantages and that those advantages are harming Gaelic Games in Meath (and all other counties). Once Dublin are split, Meath can start focusing on other areas in which they need to improve, but without a split, it is just window-dressing.

• Advertisement

You don't need them split, just get them out of the Leinster county championship and into the railway cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Bitterness will eat you up. The posts from some posters get more and more bitter. I actually find the sad, yet at times amusing as it warms the heart to see it, it means as has been said Dublin are winning games. We will wait and see if a few of the old posters with a similar bitter streak come back.

Again " if " Dublin is split several other Counties would have to be split along with mergers also

splitting Dublin alone would only benefit a hand full of Counties , most likely your own is one of them

its obvious all you care about is weakening Dublin to help your own County .

And yet another rubbish post from a bitter little Meath man .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭rolling boh

This is the same poster who won't go and support his own county because Dublin are playing as part of the double header.I hope for his own sake he is not serious about what he posts and is just on a wind up .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

As the old saying goes, IF me aunt had balls she’d be me uncle😉 These lads thinking if they post enough on Boards the split will happen😂😂😂😂

Don't be Salty just because you can't win anything fair and Square. Don't be jealous of real counties like Kerry who don't need every advantage lobsided in their favour to win

Dont be a child with your constant whinging , just because your County cant compete with counties with a lot less advantages than the once proud Meath

Dont be jealous of real Counties like Monaghan , Mayo Derry etc who can compete with the best unlike Meath

The only child whining here is you. Read your last post kid.

I'm just presenting facts.

• Advertisement

listen kid your on here whinging for years , read your last 5 years + of posts whinging whinging whinging

The facts you are presenting is your anti Dublin and cant accept that your own County has messed up .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement