Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Dublin GAA *Mod warning post#1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭gaffer91

This thread is about Dublin's unfair advantages. I'm just referring to inter-county teams, where spending and funding has the largest discrepancies between teams. The harm that these differences do to the game as whole far outweigh the benefits that accrue to individual teams. This is most stark in the case of Dublin as they are the most overfunded vs everyone else (plus have other advantages such as an enormous population vs everyone else). For club teams, I'm less concerned.

I actually don't think pooling sponsorship money for inter-county teams would reduce the size of the pool of money that much. Sponsors just want to market their brand so whether the money goes to the GAA or e.g., Dublin doesn't really bother them.

Cork and Leitrim population difference is negligible compared to the population difference between Dublin and everyone else. And then factor in the other advantages Dublin has in terms of population and funding and we realise this combination of unique unfair advantages is concentrated into a single team. So let's split Dublin first, as it is the most important thing that can be done to help the game in all counties, especially Dublin. And we can address other issues after that. But as Dublin is the only county uniquely unfairly advantaged, Dublin is the only county that should be split.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Again Cork Antrim Down have huge population advantages over Leitrim Longford Carlow ,yet all you whinge about is Dublin

Kerry Limerick Cork Mayo , have huge funding advantages over Leitrim Longford Carlow, again all you whinge about is Dublin.

Well Dublin announced a new, enormous sponsorship deal so this merited some discussion. The GAA still doesn't realise how serious the situation with Dublin is if they are not blocking additional funding, or at least sharing it with other counties, given the other advantages that Dublin enjoy. The fact Dublin aren't split also shows the GAA does not fully appreciate how bad it would be for the game for Dublin's unfair advantages to continue unchecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

The population issue is over played totally. For starters the population of Dublin is probably 30%+ of people from outside Dublin. Of the remaining, only a minority would have any interest in GAA. There are huge parts of Dublin with little or no GAA activity. The answer to the problems encountered currently is to amalgamate the smaller non performing counties. That way at least they would have a chance. Look at Limericks funding in the hurling, I don't see much protesting about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Cork has fourteen times the population of Leitrim. Dublin does not have 14 times the population of Cork, so your first point is complete and utter horsesh1t. That is not 'negligible' in anyone's language.

Then you try to use population again as another advantage, so your second point is equally worthless.

Lastly, splitting Dublin would do SFA for ANYONE, bar maybe 5 other counties. Mayo, Kerry, Galway, Monaghan, Tyrone.......would all have a better chance of winning the AI and that's it. In fact, it would make it worse for the rest of them as they'd have extra teams to beat that are better than them. Your entire argument is circular in nature and built on a load of rubbish.

If you want to split Dublin because of population then you have to split everyone based on population or else it's completely unfair. Hiding behind the smaller counties is laughably transparent and nobody has given a single reason for it without contradicting themselves in the same breath. Give it a rest.

Post edited by Yeah Right on

Again you have a problem with Dublin sponsorship and you say this merits some discussion!! what a load of nonsense ,Limerick Kerry Cork Mayo etc have huge sponsorship but that's ok in your eyes the only problem you have is anything and everything to do with Dublin

You are clearly anti Dublin end of .

What are you on about ? Cork have over 14 times the population of Leitrim that is not negligible , Dublin have 2.5 times the population of Cork big difference ! So actually no lets not split Dublin first ,lets make it fair for Leitrim Longford Carlow Sligo etc they cant compete with the Corks Kerry Down Galway etc and so lets split these Counties also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Intercounty sponsorship is a lot different than club level fundraising. I don't think Dessie or Jim Gavin before him, or any of the ten million backroom staff that they have, had to "trudge" around Kilmacud, clontarf, Ballyboden Fairview etc. from business to business - setting up meetings with bosses.

The financial disparity within the GAA as a whole has to stop soon. Otherwise the whole thing will just collapse. In 20 or 30 years time, are we going to be in a same position - watching Dublin or Kerry dominating the GAA scene. In the past 11 years, only Tyrone have broken the cycle - for the one years. At least Kerry have some reasoning - they are steeping in GAA culture and its's bet into them at a very early age. I'm sure they receive decent fundraising, but a lot of it is grafted from within. Dublin on the other hand were doing rubbish, then received a hand-out from Bertie, which gave them a jump to what they were able to achieve today. But now it has to be time to balance things and offer the other counties similar opportunities to make that bounce. There is no point in saying that it is up to each county to make their own bed. Dublin got a huge leg-up from Bertie. (He even admits it himself https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/bertie-ahern-explains-how-he-helped-finance-the-dublin-gaa-revolution/37366135.html

I don't know if it will work the sponsorship way referred to earlier, but some form of spreading the finance around will be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm sure there's still legwork (or handwork perhaps) involved in it. Like I'm fairly certain Cork GAA didn't just rock up to Sports Direct HQ on spec one day and leave with .5M per year. They would have had to send feelers, find out who to contact, do their research, do various presentations, make a case for what the money would be spent on, decide what obligations each side would be under etc. Whilst attempting to maximise the amount they'd get. All the while probably having a backup plan in place in case something changed with Sport Direct.

If such funds are going central, I find it difficult to see why they'd bother so much.

To an extent the same. but in reverse, applies to the smaller counties. Why put effort into getting the usual small amount from some local hotel, that isn't going to go direct to you anyway, when there's the expectation of a bigger amount from the central sponsorship fund. Nett result, overall sponsorship is down.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Well it's quite simple - all sponsorship is handled centrally. Dublin are in the position where they can employ a commercial director full time. Why not have that as a central commercial team handling sponsorship on behalf of the entire organisation? Staycity still get to sponsor Dublin or whatever, but the money is spread out.

Carlow are never going to pull in that kind of money because of their size and geographical area, they shouldn't be punished because of that

This is true in all counties. People in Dublin think playing Gaelic Football/Hurling is the only game in town outside of Dublin. That's just not true. People do protest about Limerick's funding- it's disgraceful and unfair. But still not comparable to Dublin's funding which is also combined with other advantages like population and playing at home. Voluntary amalgamations should be offered but Dublin should be split regardless of what happens there.

Look in absolute terms. It's negligible in comparison to the gap between Dublin and everyone else, which is what I said. And the gap between Dublin and Cork is larger than the gap between Cork and Leitrim. This shows how insane the current structure is and how much of an outlier Dublin is So if we want to deal with the main issue we'd split the county with by far the largest population which is Dublin.

So while minor discrepancies are fine, Dublin is such a massive statistical outlier on population that they should be split for that alone. But it's not just population alone, it's population combined with playing at home, enormous funding unique to Dublin. As I've said before, it's not any of these unfair advantages individually, it's the nature, combination, scale and duration of these advantages that means Dublin should be split.

The current competition structure is unfair as it is set up for the benefit of Dublin. Even if they don't win every year, they are always unfairly advantaged. So splitting Dublin helps all counties as it improves the fairness and integrity of the competitions. Therefore anyone who participates benefits, which is all counties. You argument that by because subdivisional sides would be hard to beat does not mean these advantages should be concentrated into a single team- this is far more unfair.

One issue with the split is that it probably would benefit Dublin more than any other county by allowing more players challenge for the All-Ireland, allowing intra-Dublin derbies etc. But it's still fairer than the status quo so it should absolutely happen.

The differences between other counties are negligible compared to Dublin, which is what I said. That says more about how insane the population gap is for Dublin so they should be split for that alone (probably a 2-way split for population is fine but because of the other advantages that have persisted for decades, at least a 4-way split is now required to help the game in all counties).

Exactly. And this should apply for all counties too in terms of sharing sponsorship, not just Dublin. Anyone who thinks sponsorship funding should continue on its current unfair course just wants to benefit their own county. People who want to share it more equitably want to help the organisation and game as whole, which is the same for people who want to split Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Again your living in dream world , your talking nonsense , splitting Dublin as has been explained to you numerous times will only benefit a hand full of Counties , it will do zero to help the Leitrims Longfords etc ,you clearly don't give a rats arse about the smaller weaker Counties, no doubt your own County is one few that would benefit from a Dublin split , but go ahead continue your anti Dublin nonsense , tis great crack altogether .

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭MrRigsby

I can’t see Dublin’s star players giving up their valuable personal time to work with a sponsor of the money is going into a pool . All this nonsense about splitting counties is just that , nonsense. Kilkenny managed a lot of success in hurling with a very small population. I think it suits a lot of people to try to blame other factors on the fact that their counties have failed to live up to their potential or have choked in big games . Hate to burst your bubble but there is a good chance you’d have a north versus south Dublin all Ireland final if you had a split as either side would run through most teams

• Advertisement

Lol but that poster wants Dublin split in 4 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

If Dublin's funding and population is such a huge advantage, why are they not winning any hurling titles?

Other counties seem to spend their money on large outlandish hotel like Academy centres, like Darver in Louth or Tyrone's one.

It benefits everyone, for the reasons I have already given many times. And yes, it helps Leitrim and Longford, just as it helps all counties, especially Dublin. You say I don't give a "rats arse" about Dublin and falsely claim that splitting Dublin won't help the weaker counties but let me turn that around. How does leaving Dublin intact help the smaller counties? How does leaving Dublin as a single team, with all the unfair advantages in terms of population, funding, playing at home etc., help the likes of Leitrim and Longford?

They won't need to give up their valuable personal time. Negotiations could be done a centrally hired commercial/marketing time employed directly byt the GAA. Kilkenny didn't have insane advantages over everyone else in terms of population, funding, playing at home etc. So it can be said that they won fairly but that Dublin won unfairly- Just because Dublin don't win every year doesn't mean they aren't unfairly advantaged. For instance if a rugby player who takes steroids doesn't win every match, it doesn't mean he doesn't have an unfair leg up over everyone else.

You say there would be a South vs North Dublin All-Ireland is even more reason to split Dublin, and to split them into 4+ teams- at least then their unfair advantages would be somewhat diminished by being split across multiple teams, rather than concentrated into a single one as the case is currently. If we could split Dublin to a number of teams that makes the competition somewhat fair, and then they win, that wouldn't be objectionable- nobody here, least of all me, has any animosity towards Dublin, it's just about doing what is best for the GAA.

As in previous message: Just because they don't win every year doesn't mean they aren't unfairly advantaged. Dublin alone have unfair advantages in money, population, playing at home etc. The fact they don't win every year doesn't mean those advantages don't exist, it just means they haven't been fully capitalised on. See my previous comparison to a rugby player or soccer player who takes steroids- just because they don't win every match doesn't mean they aren't unfairly advantaged vs their competitors. It's the same with Dublin.

Once again its been explained to you many times , splitting Dublin will not help Dublin , splitting Dublin will help 4/5 Counties " which i have no doubt your County is one of them" , to help Leitrim Longford etc Dublin Cork Antrim Down Derry Galway Mayo Kerry etc would all have to be split with there bigger populations and funding ,this is never going to happen , but continue on with this nonsense tis great crack so it is .

Dublin along with Cork Antrim Down Derry Galway Kerry Mayo etc have unfair advantages in population funding etc over Leitrim Longford Carlow etc

Again splitting Dublin would only benefit a hand full of Counties , there is no appetite for splits in the GAA , But if it were ever to happen all the bigger Counties would have to be split due to there unfair population and funding compared to Leitrim Longford Carlow etc , in the interest of fairness to all like .

As I've said before it's the combination, scale, nature and duration of advantages that mean Dublin should be split- not just any one of those things individually. While there are discrepancies between other counties they are negligible compared to the gap between Dublin and everyone else. For instance the population between Cork and Leitrim is large but it is immaterial compared to the population gap between Dublin and Leitrim. The gap between Cork and Leitrim in funding but it is immaterial compared to the funding gap between Dublin and Leitrim. Only Dublin play at hom etc.

You didn't answer my question. How does leaving Dublin as a single team help Leitrim, Longford etc? Splitting them would help those counties more, just as it would help every other county, weak or strong, especially Dublin (more players challenging for Sam Maguire, intra-Dublin derbies etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Three new county teams with 3 new county boards

North, South, West Dublin

It's the way to go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement