Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

corblimey wrote: »
    Grr, my renewal application has been stuck on Stage 2 for about 2 weeks now. It's still marked as issue date 3/5 which seems optimistic at best. From other threads here, it seems like Stage 2 is the longest; how quickly does it move through stages 3-6 generally?

Thing is, I'm not in any mad rush to get it, my next trip is end of May, so I can't even call them up and ask where my passport is.

Mine was stuck on stage 2 for ages as well, then last Thursday it moved to stage 3, to stage 5 (which is printed') on Friday as to stage 6 yesterday so I'm due to receive it today. Hold that helps!

Edit: The passports did arrive today so just 5 days after they started moving past stage 2. The issue date was marked as 26/04 which was exactly the day they were posted. I'm travelling at the weekend and had put in my flight confirmation so not sure if that made a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mine was weeks in stage 2, then went from 3 to 6 very quickly (1-2 days). It was already a week past the target issue date at that stage though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

I applied with 18 days do travel. Paid extra for passport express. 12 days later and no passport. I tracked and it's only on stage 3 of 6 and the issue date is 2 days before I travel.
    Stage 3 of 6: Your Application is scheduled to be checked for Passport entitlement.

Your passport application is currently being checked. This process can take up to 4 working days.

I'm in bits with worry here!

Can you go to the office and pick it up to save time? You can't even phone them now! I messaged on twitter but waiting for a reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I meant passport express.

• Advertisement

Sent a a massive detailed message on Twitter and all I got back was "it's in the final stages."

What does that even mean!? I'm traveling tomorrow week, Monday is a bank holiday and it's saying it won't get here till Friday. Is the tracker wrong then!?

Crisis averted the tracker was not updated it will be here Wednesday. *wipes brow*.

Thankfully they were quick to reply on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 18 effone

I applied for 3 passports, 2 renewals and one new, via the express service on March 30th. They're still at stage 2. I see here 3 to 6 are relatively quick. Lucky we're not in a rush for them. Ridiculous the times they communicate are so inaccurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Hi a family member needed to renew their passport, she left it a bit late (stupid I know) anyhow she sent opf the form on thursday 21st but is travelling on may 6th, ( she said she thought it was the 16th) imo she should of applied to go to the office to get one but she sent it off with the an post express way. its highly unlikely that she will receive it in the post before the 6th (with the bank holiday and late application) is there any way she could go to collect it before it is posted? she cannot ring them as they don't take calls anymore. she lives in Mayo. does anyone know of any options available to her, thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

I want to get a friend who is a teacher to act as witness for Section 7 of my daughter's application. But she doesn't have an official stamp. Will it be sent back to me in this case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The Wife wrote:
    I want to get a friend who is a teacher to act as witness for Section 7 of my daughter's application. But she doesn't have an official stamp. Will it be sent back to me in this case?

Why risk it? Any Garda station will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

First Up wrote: »
    Why risk it? Any Garda station will do it.

Does the witness not need to know you personally though? The guards don't know me from Adam

The Wife wrote:
    Does the witness not need to know you personally though? The guards don't know me from Adam

Bring some ID and they will do it no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭macchoille

effone wrote: »
    I applied for 3 passports, 2 renewals and one new, via the express service on March 30th. They're still at stage 2. I see here 3 to 6 are relatively quick. Lucky we're not in a rush for them. Ridiculous the times they communicate are so inaccurate.

In an strange coincidence we're in an identical situation. Applied for 3 passports (2 renewals and 1 new) via passport express, also on the 30th of March. They are also still at stage 2 and the last update on the tracking was April 11th. Thankfully we're in no hurry yet but would hate to be anyone who is.

The Wife wrote: »

Depends on the Guard at the desk really, my last renewal (10 years ago) the Guard refused because he didn't know me. Didn't expect him too as I only know Gardai socially (not in same town). Went back a few days later and different Guard signed it no problem. We went to renew our passports again a few weeks ago and there was no problem getting them signed.

macchoille wrote:
    Depends on the Guard at the desk really, my last renewal (10 years ago) the Guard refused because he didn't know me. Didn't expect him too as I only know Gardai socially (not in same town). Went back a few days later and different Guard signed it no problem. We went to renew our passports again a few weeks ago and there was no problem getting them signed.

Never had a problem and never heard of anyone who did. Photo ID should be all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

What's the cheapest of the companies in Dublin airport to walk up to on the day without a booking? With basic insurance included as have no credit card.

First Up wrote: »
    Never had a problem and never heard of anyone who did. Photo ID should be all you need.

Unfortunately I did but it was over 10 years ago but got sorted on next visit so all was cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

sm3ar wrote: »
    What's the cheapest of the companies in Dublin airport to walk up to on the day without a booking? With basic insurance included as have no credit card.

No credit card means it's next to impossible to hire a car. Some may let you hire one on a debit card but there will be a hefty deposit/hold put on your card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

Hi,

I am due to travel to Canada in July. My passport will expire 9 days after I return home. Will this be a problem for me? I phoned and I emailed both the canadian embassy here and the irish embassy in canada. I also phoned and emailed the passport office here but to no avail.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I'd get a new passport before travelling. It's often the case that countries look for your visa to have 6 months of validity on it before issuing visa's etc. If anything happens while you're over there and you get delayed coming home (say a car accident that puts you in hospital) you'll be in hot water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

To be safe, I'd renew it. Some airlines insist on passports being at least 6 months before expiry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

Thanks for your replies. To renew it I will have to contact the airline and tell them to change the passport number I booked with originally. Has anyone had any experience of this before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭lynchie

horsebox7 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am due to travel to Canada in July. My passport will expire 9 days after I return home. Will this be a problem for me? I phoned and I emailed both the canadian embassy here and the irish embassy in canada. I also phoned and emailed the passport office here but to no avail.

Thanks

Passport needs only be valid until your exit date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

lynchie wrote: »
    Passport needs only be valid until your exit date.

For entry into Ireland.

Each country has their own entry requirements, and he/she is right to check with the Canadian authorities

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickarooney

It's fine.

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/canada/passports/top-passport-questions/passport-validity-needed-for-overseas-travel/

Canada

Your Irish Passport must be valid up to your return date. As of March 15, 2016, travellers will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before they board a flight to Canada. See Citizenship and Immigration Canada for further details.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 25 laura360

I would try renew it. Better safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickarooney

laura360 wrote: »
    I would try renew it. Better safe than sorry

Absolutely no need.

Horse box, if you would prefer a new passport and you don't mind changing the details with your airline, then by all means go for it. You'll be changing in a couple of months anyway.

If it's going to be a hassle to give the airline the new details, then don't bother changing. The rules are the rules, they are clearly stated on the department of foreign affairs website.

I did the same going to USA two years ago. They have a general rule about needing a passport valid for 6 months but it does not apply to Irish citizens so I didn't change the passport until I came home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Just wondering folks for those who have passport cards, how long did it take to receive them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

The length of time it takes to process passports is way too long and the 6 or 7 weeks waiting time is ridiculous.
    How difficult is it to process applications?
    it seems to me that the process is simple, once all the docs have been provided it should take max of 2 weeks to review the documents and print it so why does it take 6 or 7 weeks is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

alwald wrote: »
    The length of time it takes to process passports is way too long and the 6 or 7 weeks waiting time is ridiculous.
    it seems to me that the process is simple, once all the docs have been provided it should take max of 2 weeks to review the documents and print it so why does it take 6 or 7 weeks is beyond me.

You're quite correct, we should just glance at them and hand them out to anyone looking for one. Sure what could go wrong? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

You're quite correct, we should just glance at them and hand them out to anyone looking for one. Sure what could go wrong? :rolleyes:
    for a first time application they can take their time, but for a renewal of a passport (and I mean the passport is sent in along with application so its just an extension of the previous one) they surely to god don't need 6 weeks or more to process it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jellybean_80

Lads, can anyone help me?!

I'm supposed to be flying to Canada on the 25th of May (in 16 days) and I can't for the life of me find my passport!!

is that emergency service still running where you can get a passport in 5 days or something? Last thing I could find online about dated back to 2014.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Seriously freaking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

Two weeks ago I was supposed to be flying to lanzarote on the Saturday. Only realised while checking in for flights on the Thursday before that passport was out of date. Got renewal form filled out by guards on Thurs evening with photos. Printed out booking forms from holiday providers as proof of travel and went to passport office in Dublin on Friday morning 9.30.. Had passport in hand by 3.30 that evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

Cost of 150 euro iirc and go online and make an appointment for emergency passport renewal

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jellybean_80

But sure renewal is different cos you had the expired passport with you..

I can't find mine at all. So going to have to get a new one but I need it within the next 15 days basically. I just don't know if that's possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

But sure renewal is different cos you had the expired passport with you..

I can't find mine at all. So going to have to get a new one but I need it within the next 15 days basically. I just don't know if that's possible?

Its definitely possible just make an appointment on the website it was 95 euro for me. You will have to collect it from the office as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

alwald wrote: »

Once the application is being looked at it is usually done within a day.
    The reason it takes so long has more to do with the sheer volume of applications arriving, so your application will only be looked at after all the other applications that were ahead of yours have been dealt with.
    Even filling the offices to the rafters with temporary staff and everyone working overtime (which is all happening) doesn't seem to be making much of a difference.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just renewed mine and my husband's ones from London, it took 9 weeks in total for mine and 8 weeks for my husband's one. Wouldn't want to be in a rush - I chose to get my 6 week old son's British one first before we bother getting his Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sinead12345

Hi I'm just wondering has anyone who submitted a first time passport application on or after the 5th of April received their passport yet as I am still waiting ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭scarbouro

We are in the process of sending our daughter's passport off for renewal. When we were at the Garda station this evening getting the form signed, the Garda said we need to send one of our passports off with it. Is this correct? I remember doing this the first time round as it was her first passport but I thought with a renewal, we would just send off her old passport along with the filled out form. Anyone know off hand?

Tia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I renewed my son's Passport last year and I sent mine with the Application.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭I carried a watermelon

Hi I'm just wondering has anyone who submitted a first time passport application on or after the 5th of April received their passport yet as I am still waiting ??

Submitted 2 first time applications & 2 renewals with name changes on the 11th April, all currently at stage 2.

Does anyone know, if there is a problem with your application, like if your photos aren't accepted, does your waiting time start all over again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Submitted 2 first time applications & 2 renewals with name changes on the 11th April, all currently at stage 2.

Does anyone know, if there is a problem with your application, like if your photos aren't accepted, does your waiting time start all over again?

No. They send you a letter to correct the issue and the application is processed almost immediately when you send it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if you read the info you'll find this is correct as now your nationality is not SOLELY dependent on being born in Ireland but also connected to the nationality/ residence status of the parents (i.e. someone cannot land off the plane 8months pregnant and give birth to a child who then would be automatically an Irish citizen and entitled to stay in the country forever)

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/passports_for_children.html for an easy to read version of the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sinead12345

Thanks for your reply when tracked online mine is also still in stage two. Must be a large volume of applications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭scarbouro

if you read the info you'll find this is correct as now your nationality is not SOLELY dependent on being born in Ireland but also connected to the nationality/ residence status of the parents (i.e. someone cannot land off the plane 8months pregnant and give birth to a child who then would be automatically an Irish citizen and entitled to stay in the country forever)

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/passports_for_children.html for an easy to read version of the rules

Yes I understand that but my daughter already holds an Irish passport so she's obviously gone through the procedure before. The same as an adult application for renewal, you would just send your old passport with the application form. It doesn't state in the renewal section on citizens advice that the parents passport is needed, just the childs old passport.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement