Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

sillysocks wrote:
    Does anyone know if you have to sign for the passport when it comes back? Mine is due back today and not sure whether I need f stay in to sign for it?

It just comes in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Grr, my renewal application has been stuck on Stage 2 for about 2 weeks now. It's still marked as issue date 3/5 which seems optimistic at best. From other threads here, it seems like Stage 2 is the longest; how quickly does it move through stages 3-6 generally?

Thing is, I'm not in any mad rush to get it, my next trip is end of May, so I can't even call them up and ask where my passport is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

corblimey wrote: »
    Grr, my renewal application has been stuck on Stage 2 for about 2 weeks now. It's still marked as issue date 3/5 which seems optimistic at best. From other threads here, it seems like Stage 2 is the longest; how quickly does it move through stages 3-6 generally?

Thing is, I'm not in any mad rush to get it, my next trip is end of May, so I can't even call them up and ask where my passport is.

Mine was stuck on stage 2 for ages as well, then last Thursday it moved to stage 3, to stage 5 (which is printed') on Friday as to stage 6 yesterday so I'm due to receive it today. Hold that helps!

Edit: The passports did arrive today so just 5 days after they started moving past stage 2. The issue date was marked as 26/04 which was exactly the day they were posted. I'm travelling at the weekend and had put in my flight confirmation so not sure if that made a difference.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mine was weeks in stage 2, then went from 3 to 6 very quickly (1-2 days). It was already a week past the target issue date at that stage though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

I applied with 18 days do travel. Paid extra for passport express. 12 days later and no passport. I tracked and it's only on stage 3 of 6 and the issue date is 2 days before I travel.
    Stage 3 of 6: Your Application is scheduled to be checked for Passport entitlement.

Your passport application is currently being checked. This process can take up to 4 working days.

I'm in bits with worry here!

Can you go to the office and pick it up to save time? You can't even phone them now! I messaged on twitter but waiting for a reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

I meant passport express.

Sent a a massive detailed message on Twitter and all I got back was "it's in the final stages."

What does that even mean!? I'm traveling tomorrow week, Monday is a bank holiday and it's saying it won't get here till Friday. Is the tracker wrong then!?

Crisis averted the tracker was not updated it will be here Wednesday. *wipes brow*.

Thankfully they were quick to reply on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 18 effone

I applied for 3 passports, 2 renewals and one new, via the express service on March 30th. They're still at stage 2. I see here 3 to 6 are relatively quick. Lucky we're not in a rush for them. Ridiculous the times they communicate are so inaccurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Hi a family member needed to renew their passport, she left it a bit late (stupid I know) anyhow she sent opf the form on thursday 21st but is travelling on may 6th, ( she said she thought it was the 16th) imo she should of applied to go to the office to get one but she sent it off with the an post express way. its highly unlikely that she will receive it in the post before the 6th (with the bank holiday and late application) is there any way she could go to collect it before it is posted? she cannot ring them as they don't take calls anymore. she lives in Mayo. does anyone know of any options available to her, thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

I want to get a friend who is a teacher to act as witness for Section 7 of my daughter's application. But she doesn't have an official stamp. Will it be sent back to me in this case?

The Wife wrote:
    I want to get a friend who is a teacher to act as witness for Section 7 of my daughter's application. But she doesn't have an official stamp. Will it be sent back to me in this case?

Why risk it? Any Garda station will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭The Wife

First Up wrote: »
    Why risk it? Any Garda station will do it.

Does the witness not need to know you personally though? The guards don't know me from Adam

The Wife wrote:
    Does the witness not need to know you personally though? The guards don't know me from Adam

Bring some ID and they will do it no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

effone wrote: »
    I applied for 3 passports, 2 renewals and one new, via the express service on March 30th. They're still at stage 2. I see here 3 to 6 are relatively quick. Lucky we're not in a rush for them. Ridiculous the times they communicate are so inaccurate.

In an strange coincidence we're in an identical situation. Applied for 3 passports (2 renewals and 1 new) via passport express, also on the 30th of March. They are also still at stage 2 and the last update on the tracking was April 11th. Thankfully we're in no hurry yet but would hate to be anyone who is.

The Wife wrote: »

Depends on the Guard at the desk really, my last renewal (10 years ago) the Guard refused because he didn't know me. Didn't expect him too as I only know Gardai socially (not in same town). Went back a few days later and different Guard signed it no problem. We went to renew our passports again a few weeks ago and there was no problem getting them signed.

macchoille wrote:
    Depends on the Guard at the desk really, my last renewal (10 years ago) the Guard refused because he didn't know me. Didn't expect him too as I only know Gardai socially (not in same town). Went back a few days later and different Guard signed it no problem. We went to renew our passports again a few weeks ago and there was no problem getting them signed.

Never had a problem and never heard of anyone who did. Photo ID should be all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

What's the cheapest of the companies in Dublin airport to walk up to on the day without a booking? With basic insurance included as have no credit card.

First Up wrote: »
    Never had a problem and never heard of anyone who did. Photo ID should be all you need.

Unfortunately I did but it was over 10 years ago but got sorted on next visit so all was cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

sm3ar wrote: »
    What's the cheapest of the companies in Dublin airport to walk up to on the day without a booking? With basic insurance included as have no credit card.

No credit card means it's next to impossible to hire a car. Some may let you hire one on a debit card but there will be a hefty deposit/hold put on your card.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

Hi,

I am due to travel to Canada in July. My passport will expire 9 days after I return home. Will this be a problem for me? I phoned and I emailed both the canadian embassy here and the irish embassy in canada. I also phoned and emailed the passport office here but to no avail.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I'd get a new passport before travelling. It's often the case that countries look for your visa to have 6 months of validity on it before issuing visa's etc. If anything happens while you're over there and you get delayed coming home (say a car accident that puts you in hospital) you'll be in hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

To be safe, I'd renew it. Some airlines insist on passports being at least 6 months before expiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

Thanks for your replies. To renew it I will have to contact the airline and tell them to change the passport number I booked with originally. Has anyone had any experience of this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭lynchie

horsebox7 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am due to travel to Canada in July. My passport will expire 9 days after I return home. Will this be a problem for me? I phoned and I emailed both the canadian embassy here and the irish embassy in canada. I also phoned and emailed the passport office here but to no avail.

Thanks

Passport needs only be valid until your exit date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

lynchie wrote: »
    Passport needs only be valid until your exit date.

For entry into Ireland.

Each country has their own entry requirements, and he/she is right to check with the Canadian authorities

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickarooney

It's fine.

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/canada/passports/top-passport-questions/passport-validity-needed-for-overseas-travel/

Canada

Your Irish Passport must be valid up to your return date. As of March 15, 2016, travellers will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) before they board a flight to Canada. See Citizenship and Immigration Canada for further details.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 25 laura360

I would try renew it. Better safe than sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickarooney

laura360 wrote: »
    I would try renew it. Better safe than sorry

Absolutely no need.

Horse box, if you would prefer a new passport and you don't mind changing the details with your airline, then by all means go for it. You'll be changing in a couple of months anyway.

If it's going to be a hassle to give the airline the new details, then don't bother changing. The rules are the rules, they are clearly stated on the department of foreign affairs website.

I did the same going to USA two years ago. They have a general rule about needing a passport valid for 6 months but it does not apply to Irish citizens so I didn't change the passport until I came home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement