Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Signature should be fine.

Got my passport a few weeks ago, it took 20 working days, but turnaround times have increased since I applied

Increased as in greater than 20 days or less?
    My applcation is for a renewal.
    Due to travel on May 3rd !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

cocoman wrote: »
    Increased as in greater than 20 days or less?
    My applcation is for a renewal.
    Due to travel on May 3rd !!

It increased to a longer wait period. However on the site, it's quoting an 11 working day turnaround for renewals so you should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

cocoman wrote: »
    Has anyone applied for and received their passports recently via passport express? Just wondering how long it took?

I filled out the application in black ink but signed in blue. I then went over the signature again in black? Will this be ok?

I'm in the middle of my application.

They received mine on March 18th. I'm 10 working days into my application (a couple of bank holidays in the way) and it's only on stage 3 of 6. Their target issue date is April 11th, which would be 14 working days if I receive it on that date.

I'm flying on April 12th, but luckily it's to the UK with Aer Lingus, so drivers licence will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭sillysocks

This may be a stupid question but does anyone know if a new application for a baby would be any quicker than a new application for an adult( possibly less checks needed etc?). Just applied for my baby and holiday is 20 working days from today, which is what they're quoting as the current time so will be close :(

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of my application.

They received mine on March 18th. I'm 10 working days into my application (a couple of bank holidays in the way) and it's only on stage 3 of 6. Their target issue date is April 11th, which would be 14 working days if I receive it on that date.

I'm flying on April 12th, but luckily it's to the UK with Aer Lingus, so drivers licence will do.

Is that for a new passport or a renewal?
    Did you apply via passport express at the post office?

• Advertisement

Applied online for a passport card today. How long to get one of these I wonder? Are they treated like a new application or a renewal since you need a passport already to get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

sillysocks wrote: »
    This may be a stupid question but does anyone know if a new application for a baby would be any quicker than a new application for an adult( possibly less checks needed etc?). Just applied for my baby and holiday is 20 working days from today, which is what they're quoting as the current time so will be close :(

Any application that is not an adult renewal will take longer.
    I would suggest contacting the passport office about a week before you travel. (They won't be able to do anything right now).

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

Got this in an email from a travel agent - I presume it is on all recent passports...

"U.S. Embassy in Ireland wishes to remind all Irish passport holders who are able to travel to the United States via the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) that as of 01 April 2016, they must have a valid electronic passport"

passport_symbol.png

U.S. Embassy Dublin
    Office of Public Affairs

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    March 29, 2016

The U.S. Embassy in Ireland wishes to remind all Irish passport holders who are able to travel to the United States via the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) that as of 01 April 2016, they must have a valid electronic passport. This rule applies even to those who possess a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). The U.S. Embassy strongly recommends that all travelers check to ensure their passports are valid electronic passports before they make arrangements to travel to the United States on the Visa Waiver Program.

You can check if your passport is valid for travel under the VWP by carefully reading the following page: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visa-waiver-program.html

Any traveler who does not have a valid electronic passport is still eligible to travel to the United States with a valid nonimmigrant visa issued by a U.S. embassy or consulate. Such travelers will be required to appear for an interview and obtain a visa in their passports at a U.S. embassy or consulate before traveling to the United States. If you do not have imminent travel plans, you should pay the nonimmigrant visa application fee, fill out the DS-160 nonimmigrant visa application form and schedule a visa appointment. If your travel is imminent and urgent in nature, you may request an expedited visa appointment.

All passports issued after October 2006 are electronic passports.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Have been in stage 1 for over a month now (adult renewal with change to married name). Looks like they're being especially ponderous with applications from the UK!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have been in stage 1 for over a month now (adult renewal with change to married name). Looks like they're being especially ponderous with applications from the UK!

Have applied via the London office for a new baby passport and a change of married name renewal within the last year. Didn't notice any difference between the two in how long they took and both arrived within the expected turnaround time.

It will likely sit on stage 2 for ages though, and then next time you check the status it will be shipped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 _Eddie_

I just noticed my U.S. passport expires on the 24-7-2016. I also have a GNIB card that expires on the same date and a G4 stamp with the same expiry. I've checked this site - http://dublin.usembassy.gov/ - and it says a renewal would take 6 to 8 weeks. I have flights booked to the U.S. of A for the 9th of June and back in Ireland on the 15th of June. Do ya'll think I should try and get my passport renewed or would I be allowed back in and I could do it on my return ? If I do get it renewed, I'm guessing I'd have to go to the local garda station and get another G4 stamp and a new GNIB card ? I'm married to a lovely Irish Cailín and this August it'll be 10 years that I'm living in Ireland. Please advise. Thanks ya'll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 _Eddie_

Can you spot me the 1100 euros for an irish passport :D

I'm planning on applying for a permanent residence card. I think that only costs 150eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 filmfanb

so i am off to LAX next weekend and they have this ****ty...everyone needs ID policy...
    dont want to bring my passport. i need to get a passport card. if i book today will it be sent to london by next friday or should i get it sent to an address in the states ?

Applied online for a passport card today. How long to get one of these I wonder? Are they treated like a new application or a renewal since you need a passport already to get one?

Dropped through the letterbox this morning. Only applied for it on Monday. Excellent service.

Had checking online tracking last night and it was at stage 3 of 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Dropped through the letterbox this morning. Only applied for it on Monday. Excellent service.

Had checking online tracking last night and it was at stage 3 of 6.

You did well! Mine took nearly four weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Need some advice folks, travelling to New York on the 21st of April, ESTA done ages ago, all sorted I thought..

I have a machine readable passport that was issued in 2008 but I have just come across this article: http://dublin.usembassy.gov/index/embassy-news/ambassador/press-releases/press-releases/important-reminder-on-the-visa-waiver-program/esta-and-travel-to-the-united-states.html

I had no idea, there was no mention of it when filling in ESTA, does anyone know if it's possible to get an appointment at the American Embassy in a hurry?

Many thanks for any advice, I am not the better for reading that!

EDIT: i actually DO have one, it's just the symbol has nearly worn off, never have I been so relieved!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Galadriel wrote:
    I have a machine readable passport that was issued in 2008 but I have just come across this article:

As far as I know all Irish passports issued since 2006 have the required chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

I'm fairly sure I read online that all passports issued in Ireland since some time in 2006 are electronic passports. Does it have the little symbol on the front cover?

• Advertisement

Generally have people found lately that the projected issue date of the passports on the online tracking is actually when it's issued?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

This has probably been asked before and will likely result in a lot of rolled eyes :p I'm travelling to the UK the end of this month but don't have a passport was meant globally long before now but had a lot of other stuff going on. What are my chances of getting a passport before then? What options do I have?
    Yours truly.
    An idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

kevovek wrote: »
    This has probably been asked before and will likely result in a lot of rolled eyes :p I'm travelling to the UK the end of this month but don't have a passport was meant globally long before now but had a lot of other stuff going on. What are my chances of getting a passport before then? What options do I have?
    Yours truly.
    An idiot.

Book an appointment on www.passport.ie and go into the public office is your best bet

kevovek wrote:
    This has probably been asked before and will likely result in a lot of rolled eyes I'm travelling to the UK the end of this month but don't have a passport was meant globally long before now but had a lot of other stuff going on. What are my chances of getting a passport before then? What options do I have? Yours truly. An idiot.

Look at the Passport section of the DFA website.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shabbyalonso

Hi all,
    Looking for some advice, if available.
    Applied for passport for my two kids around the 12th March. I have looked up the passport express tracker a few times over the last week and it's saying at stage 2 of 6, with estimated time of completion, 7th April. Application last worked on, on the 22nd March.
    I've emailed them but as it stands, no reply.
    I tried ringing today a few times but recorded message says "unfortunately we're so busy, your call won't be answered!!!". It gave an email address to mail so I've mailed again.
    Holiday planned for 24th April and I'm now rather worried as I don't have kids passports and my own was sent in with the application also.

Any one know if you an talk to a human being in the office to find out whether I'll be going on holidays or not??!!!
    Thanks a mill

Hi all,
    Looking for some advice, if available.
    Applied for passport for my two kids around the 12th March. I have looked up the passport express tracker a few times over the last week and it's saying at stage 2 of 6, with estimated time of completion, 7th April. Application last worked on, on the 22nd March.
    I've emailed them but as it stands, no reply.
    I tried ringing today a few times but recorded message says "unfortunately we're so busy, your call won't be answered!!!". It gave an email address to mail so I've mailed again.
    Holiday planned for 24th April and I'm now rather worried as I don't have kids passports and my own was sent in with the application also.

Any one know if you an talk to a human being in the office to find out whether I'll be going on holidays or not??!!!
    Thanks a mill

Their Twitter is very good, I direct messaged a few questions and got replies the same day. They seem very active on Twitter more than email/phone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

filmfanb wrote: »
    so i am off to LAX next weekend and they have this ****ty...everyone needs ID policy...
    dont want to bring my passport. i need to get a passport card. if i book today will it be sent to london by next friday or should i get it sent to an address in the states ?

Passport card can only be used in the EU. You won't get into the states on one.
    Galadriel wrote: »
    Need some advice folks, travelling to New York on the 21st of April, ESTA done ages ago, all sorted I thought..

I have a machine readable passport that was issued in 2008 but I have just come across this article: http://dublin.usembassy.gov/index/embassy-news/ambassador/press-releases/press-releases/important-reminder-on-the-visa-waiver-program/esta-and-travel-to-the-united-states.html

I had no idea, there was no mention of it when filling in ESTA, does anyone know if it's possible to get an appointment at the American Embassy in a hurry?

Many thanks for any advice, I am not the better for reading that!

EDIT: i actually DO have one, it's just the symbol has nearly worn off, never have I been so relieved!

All Irish Passports issued since 26th Oct 2006 are biometric.*

*except the green 8-page Emergency Travel Documents

Has anyone received a renewal passport recently? How long did it take?
    I am currently at stage 2 since 14th Apr.
    Need passport before May 03rd.

• Advertisement

I used Passport Express in the last month or so and it arrived bang on the advertised time - a day early in fact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement