Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Just wondering folks for those who have passport cards, how long did it take to receive them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

The length of time it takes to process passports is way too long and the 6 or 7 weeks waiting time is ridiculous.
    How difficult is it to process applications?
    it seems to me that the process is simple, once all the docs have been provided it should take max of 2 weeks to review the documents and print it so why does it take 6 or 7 weeks is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

alwald wrote: »
    The length of time it takes to process passports is way too long and the 6 or 7 weeks waiting time is ridiculous.
    it seems to me that the process is simple, once all the docs have been provided it should take max of 2 weeks to review the documents and print it so why does it take 6 or 7 weeks is beyond me.

You're quite correct, we should just glance at them and hand them out to anyone looking for one. Sure what could go wrong? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

You're quite correct, we should just glance at them and hand them out to anyone looking for one. Sure what could go wrong? :rolleyes:
    for a first time application they can take their time, but for a renewal of a passport (and I mean the passport is sent in along with application so its just an extension of the previous one) they surely to god don't need 6 weeks or more to process it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 jellybean_80

Lads, can anyone help me?!

I'm supposed to be flying to Canada on the 25th of May (in 16 days) and I can't for the life of me find my passport!!

is that emergency service still running where you can get a passport in 5 days or something? Last thing I could find online about dated back to 2014.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Seriously freaking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

Two weeks ago I was supposed to be flying to lanzarote on the Saturday. Only realised while checking in for flights on the Thursday before that passport was out of date. Got renewal form filled out by guards on Thurs evening with photos. Printed out booking forms from holiday providers as proof of travel and went to passport office in Dublin on Friday morning 9.30.. Had passport in hand by 3.30 that evening

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

Cost of 150 euro iirc and go online and make an appointment for emergency passport renewal

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jellybean_80

But sure renewal is different cos you had the expired passport with you..

I can't find mine at all. So going to have to get a new one but I need it within the next 15 days basically. I just don't know if that's possible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

But sure renewal is different cos you had the expired passport with you..

I can't find mine at all. So going to have to get a new one but I need it within the next 15 days basically. I just don't know if that's possible?

Its definitely possible just make an appointment on the website it was 95 euro for me. You will have to collect it from the office as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Malee

alwald wrote: »

Once the application is being looked at it is usually done within a day.
    The reason it takes so long has more to do with the sheer volume of applications arriving, so your application will only be looked at after all the other applications that were ahead of yours have been dealt with.
    Even filling the offices to the rafters with temporary staff and everyone working overtime (which is all happening) doesn't seem to be making much of a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just renewed mine and my husband's ones from London, it took 9 weeks in total for mine and 8 weeks for my husband's one. Wouldn't want to be in a rush - I chose to get my 6 week old son's British one first before we bother getting his Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sinead12345

Hi I'm just wondering has anyone who submitted a first time passport application on or after the 5th of April received their passport yet as I am still waiting ??

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

We are in the process of sending our daughter's passport off for renewal. When we were at the Garda station this evening getting the form signed, the Garda said we need to send one of our passports off with it. Is this correct? I remember doing this the first time round as it was her first passport but I thought with a renewal, we would just send off her old passport along with the filled out form. Anyone know off hand?

Tia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I renewed my son's Passport last year and I sent mine with the Application.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭I carried a watermelon

Hi I'm just wondering has anyone who submitted a first time passport application on or after the 5th of April received their passport yet as I am still waiting ??

Submitted 2 first time applications & 2 renewals with name changes on the 11th April, all currently at stage 2.

Does anyone know, if there is a problem with your application, like if your photos aren't accepted, does your waiting time start all over again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Submitted 2 first time applications & 2 renewals with name changes on the 11th April, all currently at stage 2.

Does anyone know, if there is a problem with your application, like if your photos aren't accepted, does your waiting time start all over again?

No. They send you a letter to correct the issue and the application is processed almost immediately when you send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if you read the info you'll find this is correct as now your nationality is not SOLELY dependent on being born in Ireland but also connected to the nationality/ residence status of the parents (i.e. someone cannot land off the plane 8months pregnant and give birth to a child who then would be automatically an Irish citizen and entitled to stay in the country forever)

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/passports_for_children.html for an easy to read version of the rules

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply when tracked online mine is also still in stage two. Must be a large volume of applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

if you read the info you'll find this is correct as now your nationality is not SOLELY dependent on being born in Ireland but also connected to the nationality/ residence status of the parents (i.e. someone cannot land off the plane 8months pregnant and give birth to a child who then would be automatically an Irish citizen and entitled to stay in the country forever)

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/passports_for_children.html for an easy to read version of the rules

Yes I understand that but my daughter already holds an Irish passport so she's obviously gone through the procedure before. The same as an adult application for renewal, you would just send your old passport with the application form. It doesn't state in the renewal section on citizens advice that the parents passport is needed, just the childs old passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Bit of progress in my application at last. Been at Stage 2 for ages, jumped to stage 3 this morning and just checked again there now and it's at Stage 5 now, printed.

twirlagig wrote: »
    Bit of progress in my application at last. Been at Stage 2 for ages, jumped to stage 3 this morning and just checked again there now and it's at Stage 5 now, printed.

Do you mind me asking when you sent your application off and for how long was it stuck in the stage 2 process as mine too has been in this stage for a long time. Thanks

scarbouro wrote: »
    We are in the process of sending our daughter's passport off for renewal. When we were at the Garda station this evening getting the form signed, the Garda said we need to send one of our passports off with it. Is this correct? I remember doing this the first time round as it was her first passport but I thought with a renewal, we would just send off her old passport along with the filled out form. Anyone know off hand?

Tia.

No need for a parents passport when it is a renewal. Citizenship has already been cleared on the first application. Just the form, passport and preferably also the birth cert will do.

Do you mind me asking when you sent your application off and for how long was it stuck in the stage 2 process as mine too has been in this stage for a long time. Thanks

I posted it on 20th May. They logged it as received on the 21st. It went to stage 2 on the 28th and was there til today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gengalway

Hi I'm just wondering is there such a thing as passport express any more last time I applied for one I sent it through passport express and got it back in 10 days. Is this gone now.?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭I carried a watermelon

twirlagig wrote: »

Was your passport application a straight forward renewal though??

A family member posted their renewal application on the same day as mine - 11th April, and they received their new passport back within 12 working days. I am still at stage 2 as I have a name change request.

Edit, I have just noticed that your post says you posted it on the 20th May? Was it 20 March or 20 April that you made your application.

gengalway wrote: »
    Hi I'm just wondering is there such a thing as passport express any more last time I applied for one I sent it through passport express and got it back in 10 days. Is this gone now.?

Passport Express is still there.
    Except there is no guaranteed return date anymore, only a target date.

• Advertisement

Was your passport application a straight forward renewal though??

A family member posted their renewal application on the same day as mine - 11th April, and they received their new passport back within 12 working days. I am still at stage 2 as I have a name change request.

Edit, I have just noticed that your post says you posted it on the 20th May? Was it 20 March or 20 April that you made your application.

Oops sorry ..... meant 20th April :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement