Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC and Valve headset

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

And here is r9 390x 8gb results for anyone whos interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Bambi wrote: »
    Tracking data for ireland received: Vives should be delivered by end of day tomorrow.

Seems people who paid by credit card rather than paypal are being delayed

Were you one of the first, I hesitated a few hours, they still haven't take any money from my CC. In a bad pace right now, kicking myself for stalling. : (

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Were you one of the first, I hesitated a few hours, they still haven't take any money from my CC. In a bad pace right now, kicking myself for stalling. : (

I think I got my order in around fifteen minutes after it went live and used paypal. It'll be delivered tomorrow apparently.

I'd ring the bank tomorrow and see what the story is

The credit card thing is a **** buzz. Seems like orders where the banks that didnt refuse the charge were held up as well.

Bank has said no request was put in and have left note that a payment should be tried, can't imagine there was that many orders for Ireland they couldn't fit us all in the one van, granted I was 7.5hrs late but still ordered on day one, just wish they'd give you some idea of when to expect something.

Good round up of reviews here, mostly positive http://www.metacritic.com/feature/htc-vive-vr-headset-reviews?ref=hp

Eurogamer declaring Euro Launch a mess http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-06-htc-vives-european-launch-is-a-mess

Called HTC this morning about by April order part2 they weren't able to give me any details, wouldn't even confirm if it was going to be april. Not sure if it's all gone pear shaped or to be expected.
    Anyone having any trouble like Euro Gamer is reporting, i'm not panicking as don't expect it until after the middle of April as i'm part2 just wish they'd charge the credit card so I could sit back and relax.

• Advertisement

Eurogamer declaring Euro Launch a mess http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-06-htc-vives-european-launch-is-a-mess

Called HTC this morning about by April order part2 they weren't able to give me any details, wouldn't even confirm if it was going to be april. Not sure if it's all gone pear shaped or to be expected.
    Anyone having any trouble like Euro Gamer is reporting, i'm not panicking as don't expect it until after the middle of April as i'm part2 just wish they'd charge the credit card so I could sit back and relax.

It seems like a total cluster**** for credit cards. I'm on the bus home with mine...the fecking HTC box is huge.

It seems like a total cluster**** for credit cards. I'm on the bus home with mine...the fecking HTC box is huge.

rub it in : (

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I bet you're using a strong kung fu grip on that box.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Shooting murder eyes at anyone that steps too close.

Zillah wrote: »
    Shooting murder eyes at anyone that steps too close.
    Probably in a cold sweat and people are looking at him like hes carrying a bomb.

• Advertisement

I got the one bus driver in this city who actually pulls up the shams getting on with bogus cards, he's having an argument with 5 scummers through his security screen and I'm standing beside my vive box resting on the luggage compartment getting ready to clean house if it kicks off just to protect the damn thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I got the one bus driver in this city who actually pulls up the shams getting on with bogus cards, he's having an argument with 5 scummers through his security screen and I'm standing beside my vive box resting on the luggage compartment getting ready to clean house if it kicks off just to protect the damn thing :(
    My thoughts before before I drove home was "please don't die in a car crash before I get to try my vive"

The screw up with payments across the world is possibly a screw up by digital river. They are handling payments and fulfillment. You'll probably never hear that from HTC though as its likely that they are not allowed to call them out and vice versa by contract.

Unfortunately all the order correspondence worldwide have digital river Ireland written on them :(

Its worth the wait, I'm hugely impressed. I took the headset off and it was twilight in the house, I must have been wearing it for 2-3 hours straight, even though most of the stuff im trying is arcadey in its duration.

I can see myself spending hours in tilt brush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Talk me out of ordering this

Bambi had you tried the dk2, how's the jump up to the vive in comparison, especially the screen?

Bambi had you tried the dk2, how's the jump up to the vive in comparison, especially the screen?

I only had the DK1 so the difference is night and day. So far I only notice the lenses when I'm back out in the steam menus or I if I bend down to low and look at the ground (the headset shifts down a bit). No nausea, no eyestrain no discomfort. I've already developed a good sense for how to manage the cord behind me.

The only way I could talk people out of this is maybe to say most of the content I've tried is quite short in duration so perhaps if more content does not come along soon and the novelty wears of you could exhaust the possibilities? but jesus is it compelling. I've had my bro try it and he had the hang of the controllers straight away. He'd tried my CV1 before but other than that he has'nt been following VR developments but straight away he was laughing and said" this is it, this is how it's meant to work..its the holodeck"

just as an example, I love setting up castle defence battle as an archer in mount and blade, so the little valve bowman game had me cackling little a little kid, the physics and tracking are amazingly accurate.

If someone set this up in a venue while the technology is still new they'd make a fortune. I did that with the DK1 in work for charity, this would be on a different scale.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

My brother received his around 5 today and has it set up. Phenomenal, ground-breaking piece of kit by all accounts. Will get to try it tomorrow or Friday.

My only experience of VR was using Oculus Rift back at Eurogamer in 2013 and the game was a bit meh.

He is saying the feeling of "presence" in the environment is very surreal. You may get pulled back into the real word by the cable tugging your head now and again but apart from that, you are essentially in that world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Talk me out of ordering this

970ish euro.

970ish euro.

Bargain compared to Virgin galactic, at least with Vive you'll make it to the moon : )

970ish euro.

Provided you have the a set up that can run it too... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

just as an example, I love setting up castle defence battle as an archer in mount and blade, so the little valve bowman game had me cackling little a little kid, the physics and tracking are amazingly accurate.

Yeah that little segment in the Tested review looked brilliant.

I can't believe no one has made a more substantial game using that archery mechanic yet. A castle siege game, with team mates, catapults, multiple modes and ammo types, maybe even a "design your own walls" feature - it'd be phenomenal.

For me, the fact that it has lived up to the near constant hype train for the last few months is amazing. I've had Rift DK1 and DK2 and this just blows them away.

As Bambi said, some of the Valve mini games are short and perhaps the initial novelty could wear off but I could see myself playing the long bow game over and over until I get all one-shot kills and the retro asteroids type game sounds so dumb on paper but is insanely good fun. It's not like moving a mouse and pressing keys, it feels like you are really learning a new skill...not that the skill would translate into real life but the satisfaction is probably the same and there might even be more advanced games that would help you do things better in real life. The Photogrametry scenes are much better than I expected too

I'm going to try some longer games tomorrow like The Gallery, Elite Dangerous and some multiplayer Hover junkers.

Bambi, Jumbo, what graphics cards are you using, I've a Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, just reading the toms hardware review and it seems to spike a bit, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/htc-vive-virtual-reality-hmd,4519-7.html just wondering how your finding it..

Bambi, Jumbo, what graphics cards are you using, I've a Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, just reading the toms hardware review and it seems to spike a bit, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/htc-vive-virtual-reality-hmd,4519-7.html just wondering how your finding it..

I have a 980ti and haven't noticed any problems. I previously tried the Vive Pre on a 970 and it was fine for the most part but maybe skipped a few frames when a game first loaded.

I wonder if those drops are related to the reprojection/timewarp or whatever Valve calls it? I think that technique renders at 45 fps briefly if it can't quite manage 90fps but uses some trickery to warp/reproject every frame so it effectively doubles the framerate? Oculus uses a similar technique. Those minimum FPS results are close to 45fps and some of the weaker cards are showing an average of around 45fps so they might have to re-analyse those results.

Both Oculus and Valve stress to developers that they want their games to be hitting 90 fps 95% of the time or higher but those techniques can help smooth the speedbumps.

EDIT: Interleaved Reprojection is what Valve calls it

4gb GTX 970, everything smooth so far

Something like hoverjunkers might test it but so far.. so good

Oh yeah if you have lowish hanging bulbs in your house buy spares...I took the headset off and the room was in total darkness...I must have whacked the bulb with an overhead swing.

It's quite odd, coming back out. I feel obliged to exit through steam rather than just take the headset off, i couldnt get the steam overlay up at one point and it felt like I was "stuck" inside the game so to speak

Is the issue with credit cards only effecting the first wave of orders?

I ordered mine with a credit card last week.

Is the issue with credit cards only effecting the first wave of orders?

I ordered mine with a credit card last week.

I don't think it's everyone, they sold 15,000 in the first 8 minutes there bound to be the odd card rejected, are you showing a may or April delivery, would you mind logging in to your order and clicking on view invoice at the bottom, does it say your invoice will be there in a few hours?

You can check what Wave your in by following this, I ordered 7.5hrs after launch and it's saying Ireland part2

Go to this link : https://shop.eu.htc.com/DRHM/store?Action=DisplayContactFormPage&SiteID=htcemea&Locale=en_IE&ThemeID=39873600&Env=BASE
    Fill your order number only (mandatory) (It's not necessary to put your e-mail)
    Choose "Shipping Question"
    Choose "When will my order arrives ?"
    Submit
    Check your mails. You will receive a mail named *Re: ShippingQuestion - ArrivalDate - *
    If not, check your paypal e-mail and spam/junks folder
    You will have inside this mail the following line : Product name: VIVE Kit - April Shipment Part 1 - {CountryName}

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is there a good list of the games and demos to try for the Vive?

Advertisement