Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ASOT wrote: »
    Chuck & Forest coaching the new series of TUF Latin America. Will be way more interested in that than TUF 24.

Did ya hear TUF 24 tryouts have been cancelled? Not sure why and if they are just being rescheudled or wha.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

qrx wrote: »
    Genuine question here out of curiosity, not trying to stir. But what martial arts qualifications do you need to be an MMA fighter? What part of it gives it the title of martial art?

Why would you need a qualification to compete in a sport?
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Did ya hear TUF 24 tryouts have been cancelled? Not sure why and if they are just being rescheudled or wha.

Didn't know that at all, its proablly so they can get decent competitors of the winner is getting a shot at MM. They should just do the season with the current roster.

Didn't know that at all, its proablly so they can get decent competitors of the winner is getting a shot at MM. They should just do the season with the current roster.

That would be a great idea and would definitely watch it, would make for a very interesting FLW title fight. Atm I don't think anyone has any interest about a group of nobody's looking to fight one of the best in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

That would be a great idea and would definitely watch it, would make for a very interesting FLW title fight. Atm I don't think anyone has any interest about a group of nobody's looking to fight one of the best in the world.

What if Joey Benavidez chokes everyone out though and gets to lose to MM for a 3rd time. Theres nothing in it really for the guys who are the curent contenders as they will more than likely find it easier to eventually get a title shot without the drama of doing a tv show.
    The way they're going about it now could unearth some good fighter who previously couldn't get a shot in ufc. Either way I don't think they'll find a guy who's gonna beat MM anytime soon. That whole division needs new fighters and this is probably the best way to add 3 or 4 fighters to the roster who can make themselves known to the public via the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I've always had a lot of time for Chuck & Forrest but not excited by this prospect at all. One of the most interesting things I found about TUF was the coaches interaction with eachother with the view that they were going to be fighting eachother at the end(usually). This decision makes me think TUF has really run its course and it very near the end(coach of 1st season Vs winner of 1st season as the final hurrah?). Do no other competing fighters want to take part anymore so they're left to ask legends to come in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Its hilarious how theyre all name-dropping mcgregor in their articles aswel, seems to pop up in the tags alot considering its a story that has basically zero to do with him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Chuck & Forest coaching the new series of TUF Latin America. Will be way more interested in that than TUF 24.

Does that mean they're gonna fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Does that mean they're gonna fight?

It's the kind of fight Bellator would put on but not the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Its less and less of a thing nowadays that the coaches are down to fight. Either they are semi-retired or injured or its never going to happen anyway. In recent times they gave up on the illusion that the coaches are actually going to fight. Remember Wanderlai and Sonnen!. And Shane Carwin was never going to fight Roy Nelson. Think that was Carwins golden handshake.

califano wrote: »
    Its less and less of a thing nowadays that the coaches are down to fight. Either they are semi-retired or injured or its never going to happen anyway. In recent times they gave up on the illusion that the coaches are actually going to fight. Remember Wanderlai and Sonnen!. And Shane Carwin was never going to fight Roy Nelson. Think that was Carwins golden handshake.

Yeah thats why I said usually they'll fight(McG/Faber was/is never going to happen). At least the fighters you've mentioned were still active at the time of doing the show but Chuck & Forrest have both been retired years.

Anyway, onto a slightly different note, which doesn't really belong in this thread but don't want to bring any other threads off topic but I figured some of you maybe interested if you've not heard it already. On Monday morning I was listening to John McCarthy on Joey Diaz' podcast(Church of whats happening) from a few weeks ago. Its very good overall to hear about how rules, judging,etc has changed since the early days but John also talks quite a bit about stopping a fight and different dituations when to stop, when not to stop and even when (to save a fighters embarrassment I suppose you could say) he gave a sign to the doctor to stop it rather than calling it a verbal tapout. Obviously we've had awful news yesterday morning and the timing of the stoppage has been questioned. I only seen the end of the fight video(as it was posted online to show McG's reaction cageside) so I don't know if it was late or not but I would recommend giving it a listen as its very interesting hearing the man in the middle's opinions/views to fights that we've watched on tv(or in the arena). The podcast was from a few weeks ago. There was also a show with Herb Dean about a week ago, its alright but he spends a lot of time talking about his nutrition company and not really that much indepth views on fights or reffing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Devastator wrote: »
    Yeah thats why I said usually they'll fight(McG/Faber was/is never going to happen). At least the fighters you've mentioned were still active at the time of doing the show but Chuck & Forrest have both been retired years.

Anyway, onto a slightly different note, which doesn't really belong in this thread but don't want to bring any other threads off topic but I figured some of you maybe interested if you've not heard it already. On Monday morning I was listening to John McCarthy on Joey Diaz' podcast(Church of whats happening) from a few weeks ago. Its very good overall to hear about how rules, judging,etc has changed since the early days but John also talks quite a bit about stopping a fight and different dituations when to stop, when not to stop and even when (to save a fighters embarrassment I suppose you could say) he gave a sign to the doctor to stop it rather than calling it a verbal tapout. Obviously we've had awful news yesterday morning and the timing of the stoppage has been questioned. I only seen the end of the fight video(as it was posted online to show McG's reaction cageside) so I don't know if it was late or not but I would recommend giving it a listen as its very interesting hearing the man in the middle's opinions/views to fights that we've watched on tv(or in the arena). The podcast was from a few weeks ago. There was also a show with Herb Dean about a week ago, its alright but he spends a lot of time talking about his nutrition company and not really that much indepth views on fights or reffing

Just listening now, the first podcast with McCarthy was great, but they just started talked about police stuff mainly.

Link for anyone interested: https://vimeo.com/159756740

weemcd wrote: »
    Just listening now, the first podcast with McCarthy was great, but they just started talked about police stuff mainly.

Link for anyone interested: https://vimeo.com/159756740

Really? I don't remember too much police talk but in my defence (officer :pac:;)) I did listen to at least 5 pods on Monday while having to waste a day hanging around various coffeeshops and cafes avoiding the rain :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Devastator wrote: »
    Really? I don't remember too much police talk but in my defence (officer :pac:;)) I did listen to at least 5 pods on Monday while having to waste a day hanging around various coffeeshops and cafes avoiding the rain :pac:

Bear in mind this is the old podcast they did about a year ago, only listening to the recent one now as I type.

weemcd wrote: »
    Bear in mind this is the old podcast they did about a year ago, only listening to the recent one now as I type.

I've not listened to that. I thought when you said 1st you meant out of the 2 pods I mentioned (McCarthy & Dean)

In news which may not come as much of a thriller to many Mike Jackson has been released from the UFC. After getting subbed 45 seconds into his UFC career Dana White said the decision was easier than your ABCs to which Jackson replied "Disappointed, is the way you make me feel"

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/4/13/11423448/mike-jackson-released-by-ufc-after-just-one-bout-headed-for-the

Now I'm going to take my bad puns and beat it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Devy are you ok? are you ok Devy?

He would probably still be in the ufc if his fight with Gall was a three round Thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It's so bad of them to take a talented fighter like Jackson away from our TV screens.

Just proves once and for all, they don't care about us.

Lads, this conversation is Off the Wall. Its not in my Human Nature but I really wanna Rock With You

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Shocking stuff. UFC are bad, so bad, and they know it.
    I'm calling this a racist move by the UFC.
    It shouldnt matter if you're black or Dana White.

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Shocking stuff. UFC are bad, so bad, and they know it.
    I'm calling this a racist move by the UFC.
    It shouldnt matter if you're black or Dana White.

ohhhhh thats Dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

You know what, that would actually be an awesome idea. As far as I know there are only 29 flyweights on the UFC roster (28 as Mighty Mouse wouldn't be in the competition).

They'd almost certainly seed it but a random draw would be so much fun. You could even put the top 4 ranked guys straight into the next round I suppose which would give you the below.

1st round - elimination
    2nd round (into the house) - quarters (top 4 ranked guys join in here)
    3rd round - semis
    4th round - final

Of course a lot of TUF time is taken up with filler about the fighters, their path etc but we already know that for a lot of the higher ranked guys so they'd have to mix it up a bit, but I genuinely think it would be a great idea and more importantly would surely attract viewers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Machida admitted to juicing fight with Hendo is off,no one surprises me when they pop but Machida one of the ''true martial artists'' testing positive makes me sick,rotten to the core the sport is (like all high stakes sports with money involved)

Gamebred wrote: »
    Machida admitted to juicing fight with Hendo is off,no one surprises me when they pop but Machida one of the ''true martial artists'' testing positive makes me sick,rotten to the core the sport is (like all high stakes sports with money involved)

Why cant they just come out and admit they got caught, he's playing the dumb dumb card.it's always somebody else's fault, tainted supps, unware it was banned or some other poxy excuse. Just be a man and admit you were caught trying to get an advantage.

It's really sad that when these stories pop up it's not even a shock or registers even a slight bit of surprise any more. It's just "meh, another one."

I have to say though, USADA are doing a good job. Of course they're not perfect but this level of testing coupled with some lengthy bans and maybe in a few years things should look a lot brighter.

The likes of Machida are the old guard who have (well, had) one or two more fights in them and just don't give a shít. Live by the sword and die by the sword and all that, they don't know anything different as they've spent their majority of their careers taking all sorts, but hopefully in time the new breed of upcoming fighter will realise that if you juice you will almost certainly be caught and it will have a significantly negative impact on your already very short career.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Paully D wrote: »
    It's really sad that when these stories pop up it's not even a shock or registers even a slight bit of surprise any more. It's just "meh, another one."

I have to say though, USADA are doing a good job. Of course they're not perfect but this level of testing coupled with some lengthy bans and maybe in a few years things should look a lot brighter.

The likes of Machida are the old guard who have (well, had) one or two more fights in them and just don't give a shít. Live by the sword and die by the sword and all that, they don't know anything different as they've spent their majority of their careers taking all sorts, but hopefully in time the new breed of upcoming fighter will realise that if you juice you will almost certainly be caught and it will have a significantly negative impact on your already very short career.

Yeah agree,these guys getting popped didnt just decide to start juicing age 38,everyone pre usada is suspect unfortunetely.

It was probably put in his bottle as a baby, pesky brazillians.

He can hardly talk either considering he has spent the vast majority of his career smacked up on TRT. Belfort is rightly hammered for it but someone like Henderson has managed to escape any sort of criticism for the same thing really which is very strange.

It's hilarious that since it was banned, he has gone 2-6 with 1 of those 2 wins coming when he was allowed to go back to the drug ahead of the Shogun fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Lifetime bans would surely sort it out quick enough.

That's what should happen, no exceptions.
    It makes a very dangerous sport even more dangerous having guys on peds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement