Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

ASOT wrote: »
    Signed the contracts for the cowboy fight already by the looks of things, to be fair I'd say he's just raring to get back into it at this stage.

I'd say Ferguson must feel pretty screwed by that. Apparently he was desparate to fight before birth of his child but put it back for the Khabib fight knowing it would interrupt his fight camp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Gamebred wrote: »

Wonder what happened to Cowboy, Khabib said on twitter he signed to fight him and then Cowboy got injured, now this. Cant wait for the full story. RIP Horcher.

Probably one the p4p best in the world and hes fighting a nobody,khabib wont ever bother grapple ****ing him first round uppercut ko.

Crazy decision and a no win situation for Khabib surely? A win moves him no closer to a title shot because he beat a newcomer but a defeat(however unlikely) kicks him right out of title contention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

For all we know he was getting dodged again, easy tune up fight and away he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That Khabib v Horcher matchup is a complete and utter piss take. What are the UFC thinking? It'd be a fantastic story if Horcher was to win but ****ing hell, he has less than no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Paully D wrote: »
    That Khabib v Horcher matchup is a complete and utter piss take. What are the UFC thinking? It'd be a fantastic story if Horcher was to win but ****ing hell, he has less than no chance.

This horcher guy looks like no slouch to be fair, 12-1 as a pro which isnt to be sniffed at, also people seem to forget khabib hasnt fought in nearly two years, god only knows if he'll be as good as he was before his injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

9 years ago to the day. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Never realised before how slow Big John was to stop that, could've done so four or five seconds earlier IMO, which can make all the difference in a fighter's health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Zingano vs Pena added to 200

War Cat!!!!

The UFC Breakdown show is being repeated on BTSport 2 at midnight. Preview of the Zagreb event. Some good stuff on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The rubbish spouted when McGregor got a title shot,Amanda nunes is getting one off a decision win against shevchenko ffs,find that bemusing.

She beat Sara McCann too. Sara was on her way to a rematch with Rousey at the time.

Nunes is a legit top 5 BW. With Zigano fighting Pena, and Ronda not available. Nunes makes sense.
    Kat v Pena is also insurance in case Nunes gets injured.

Mellor wrote: »
    She beat Sara McCann too. Sara was on her way to a rematch with Rousey at the time.

Nunes is a legit top 5 BW. With Zigano fighting Pena, and Ronda not available. Nunes makes sense.
    Kat v Pena is also insurance in case Nunes gets injured.

As I said I cant complain because ill be tuning in but Nunes as Co-Main for ufc 200 even by my low enough standards isnt great,Holly is getting ****ed on for wanting to fight before a rematch with Ronda.

As I said I cant complain because ill be tuning in but Nunes as Co-Main for ufc 200 even by my low enough standards isnt great.
    It's a not a great match because the women division is shallow. But It's the match that makes most sense to me out of Nunes, Pena, Zigano.
    Holly is getting ****ed on for wanting to fight before a rematch with Ronda
    I don't really understand what you mean.

You are ok with Aldo not getting the immediate rematch, but Holly is getting screwed because she isn't getting one.
    I've no problem with an occasional immediate rematch, but the trend for every champ to get one needed to stop imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The rubbish spouted when McGregor got a title shot,Amanda nunes is getting one off a decision win against shevchenko ffs,find that bemusing.

Tbf Shevchecko has fought with mixed results a number of former title challengers and holds a win over Joanna albeit in kickboxing don't think you can say the same about Siver not only in his current division but in his career overall...defeats to Cowboy and McGregor himself are prob his closest on that scale.

It's a not a great match because the women division is shallow. But It's the match that makes most sense to me out of Nunes, Pena, Zigano.

I don't really understand what you mean.

You are ok with Aldo not getting the immediate rematch, but Holly is getting screwed because she isn't getting one.
    I've no problem with an occasional immediate rematch, but the trend for every champ to get one needed to stop imo.

What makes you think im alright with Aldo not getting a rematch? Ive said before he 100% deserves one shouldnt even have to fight Edgar for a proper title shot,

Holly now has to fight some nobody because the whole division is matched up or sit on the shelf,all because she wouldnt sit on her arse and wait to fight Ronda like Dana wanted.

There wasn't, and still isn't, any time scale for Rousey coming back. So Holly got ****ed on for taking a fight instead of maybe sitting doing nothing for 6,7,8,9,10,etc months? FFS this board would have went into meltdown saying she was holding up the division :D Fair play to HH for going out and taking another fight. A true champion is willing to take on anyone, not sit back 'injured' and hope for other people to do their job for them like DC :pac:

Devastator wrote: »
    There wasn't, and still isn't, any time scale for Rousey coming back. So Holly got ****ed on for taking a fight instead of maybe sitting doing nothing for 6,7,8,9,10,etc months? FFS this board would have went into meltdown saying she was holding up the division :D Fair play to HH for going out and taking another fight. A true champion is willing to take on anyone, not sit back 'injured' and hope for other people to do their job for them like DC :pac:

Yep thats what the ufc is like know heres a quote from Dana about her manager who he hates,

"The sad part about that is, listen, he's an old boxing guy who thinks he's smart, and he's not," White said during an appearance on ESPN's Russillo & Kanell. "It's one of those things. I feel bad about it. I feel bad for Holly. I don't know if Holly really knows what she lost. I think she has so much faith in the people that surround her, she feels like, 'Well, they got me this far.'

"We had this meeting, and Holly wasn't even in it. Holly, that's your life. You should be in that meeting. Don't leave it to these people. Anyway, Holly made a lot of money. She accomplished great things, she beat Ronda Rousey. But it could have been so much bigger for her, and the sad part is, I don't think she even knows it."

What makes you think im alright with Aldo not getting a rematch?

Emm...this;
    Gamebred wrote:
    Screw Aldo, Doesn't deserve a rematch. He needs to recover not get KO'd again
    ;):D:D
    Devastator wrote: »
    Fair play to HH for going out and taking another fight. A true champion is willing to take on anyone,

I'm a little out of the loop on the Dana and her manager drama. what's the issue? She took on Tate, and lost. Was always a risk taking on a more rounded wrestler. Fair play for gambling. But she has to accept that loss, and take a fight now.
    Right now only Carmouche, Kaufman or Shevchenko are there. Or wait out a top 5 shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Its not the UFC 200 I was hoping for but it's still stacked head to toe with great fights. Aside from the main/co main you've got Cain/Browne, Lauzon Sanchez, Gastelum Hendricks. There's not one fight I'm not interested in. I would've loved a card with a McGregor superfight or title fight, or Jones involved. Or Lawler, RDA etc. Still time I suppose.

I'm a little out of the loop on the Dana and her manager drama. what's the issue? She took on Tate, and lost. Was always a risk taking on a more rounded wrestler. Fair play for gambling. But she has to accept that loss, and take a fight now.

yeah I'm not sure what HH's manager has to do with this either :confused: gamebred?? The way I see it, a manager, coach, rabbi or whatever can say or advice a fighter whatever they like but its the fighter that signs their name to a contract. I'm not sure if HH said it in her post fight interview but she def said on the MMA hour few days after the fight that she would be back in the gym straight away(when she got home) because thats what she is like. So it seems only natural that she was wanting to stay active.

Emm...this;

;):D:D

Right now only Carmouche, Kaufman or Shevchenko are there. Or wait out a top 5 shot.

Some man to search quotes selectively that was probably posted months ago was it ya ****,he deserves a shot over frankie anyways thats for sure.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99249387&postcount=1614

Some man to search quotes selectively that was probably posted months ago was it ya ****,he deserves a shot over frankie anyways thats for sure.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99249387&postcount=1614
    To be completely honest I just made it up.
    :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

To be completely honest I just made it up.
    :pac: :pac: :pac:

Hahahah legendary stuff Mellor tip of the cap to you :D

Gamebred right now....

hook.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The UFC gave Tate the choice of Nunes or Holm rematch. I have no problem with Tate picking Nunes. Otherwise divisions just get held up for too long with rematches. Of course it's double standards, the UFC will grant an immediate rematch if there is $$$ there. But they are a private company and they can do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

Lukker- wrote: »
    The UFC gave Tate the choice of Nunes or Holm rematch. I have no problem with Tate picking Nunes. Otherwise divisions just get held up for too long with rematches. Of course it's double standards, the UFC will grant an immediate rematch if there is $$$ there. But they are a private company and they can do what they want.

On paper Nunes is the easier fight, so I can see the argument no doubt being made that Tate picked it for that reason and is cowardly.

However, I agree with you and am slightly fed up with constant rematches.
    So I side with Miesha on this one, Nunes presents a fresh challenge and she hasn't faced her before so its a new test. I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. She choked Holly unconscious so that's done for now.

For anyone maybe not checking the other threads or has had their head in the ground for the past 24 hours or so, Paddy Holohan is fighting Willie Gates on May 8th at UFC Rotterdam. Heres an interview he's done...

http://severemma.com/2016/04/paddy-holohan-i-definitely-feel-like-contract-line/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

As I said I cant complain because ill be tuning in but Nunes as Co-Main for ufc 200 even by my low enough standards isnt great,Holly is getting ****ed on for wanting to fight before a rematch with Ronda.

This fight leaves open the two big fights in the division if Ronda comes back in November. Presuming Tate wins (UFC will be praying) then they can do Tate v Ronda III at that point and the winner (on evidence of fights I & II that’s Ronda) faces Holly Holm after she has one win in between. Put Tate v Holm at 200 you either have Tate back to the bottom of the pack or Holm coming off back to back losses.

Outside of her last two performances (one which she lost), Holm hadn’t really been killing it since joining the UFC. One and done as champ shouldn’t mean an instant rematch even in a shallow division, it doesn’t matter if the champ you beat was seen by some as a God beforehand.

The cherry on top is that they couldn’t really have the same main and co-main for 200 as they did for 196, but the other half and bigger cause of that is being discussed on several other threads so probably not best to bring it up here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement