Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

ASOT wrote: »
    Hopefully get decent odds on Siver, BJ should be nowhere near an octagon.

This is ''motivated bj'' though be careful :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Minister Michael Ring on Newstalk now regarding regulated MMA in Ireland:
    I don't know if it will ever be regulated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Gamebred wrote: »

that sounds like a euphamism

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Gamebred wrote: »

Iv heard that before....

20140706091359_cccc.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mellor wrote: »
    s
    he's been like that her whole life apparently. Other fighters have been accusing her of PEDs for a long time. Like during TUF, it was pointed (by one of the bitches) out that she had been on a tear before the show but look average in the house when she was followed 24/7

Not suggesting anything myself, just pointing that bitches be jealous

Those girls (Magana, Herrig and Rawlings) were absolutely horrible and basically just bullies. I was delighted that Torres beat Rawlings and Magana in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That_Guy wrote: »
    Minister Michael Ring on Newstalk now regarding regulated MMA in Ireland:

The42 had an article on this last week which shed alot of light on the subject

http://www.the42.ie/mma-sport-ireland-recognition-2704143-Apr2016/

I only heard abit of Off The Ball around 7pm and they seemed to have the opinion that sport ireland should be doing more to regulate the events but it seems from this article the onus is on the sport itself to create a body to regulate itself and then after a check list over a few years ~Sport Ireland will recognise it and call it regulated.

This seems reasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭sonic85

theres a bit on prime time shortly if anybody wants to watch it. im not gonna bother - don't think I could stand listening to a bunch of tools calling for the sport to be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

sonic85 wrote: »
    theres a bit on prime time shortly if anybody wants to watch it. im not gonna bother - don't think I could stand listening to a bunch of tools calling for the sport to be banned.

Not what I expected. Some solid points made on safety and they weren't dogging the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

sonic85 wrote: »

Actually it was fairly constructive and sensible its a shame that RTE were also responsible for commissioning Joe Duffy to run amok earlier in the day however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭sonic85

That's good to hear. I just caught the start where miriam said should MMA be banned and i thought it was gonna go down the wrong road. As long as the reaction isn't knee jerk and there's constructive conversation then I've no problem.

Unfortunately theres loads of people who have an agenda and will just attack the sport for the sake of it but add nothing meaningful to the debate a la joe duffy.

• Advertisement

Actually it was fairly constructive and sensible its a shame that RTE were also responsible for commissioning Joe Duffy to run amok earlier in the day however.

Dont get me started on duffy, the dissapointment in his voice when that woman on today informed him it was cidona she was drinking

Depp wrote: »
    Dont get me started on duffy, the dissapointment in his voice when that woman on today informed him it was cidona she was drinking

He went all CSI to identify her too was this all really relevant, should women not be allowed drink beer now?

He was allowed compare to other sports when he was talking e.g. In Rugby you don't get rewarded for kicking someone in the head when someone else argued to put a comparison to another sport or such they were told they couldn't be compared all grand when it suited himself though.

Loads of people are aware of Joe's stance/handling of MMA as a topic and to appear to me as he more or less used his show as a platform to say I told you so when a young man has lost his life was shameful.

Loads of stuff left out no one told that man ammy boxing removed the head gear for males or any reference to the Nick Blackwell recent story it seemed;although towards the end I turned it off when it became a shouting match between 2 of the callers.

He went all CSI to identify her too was this all really relevant, should women not be allowed drink beer now?

He was allowed compare to other sports when he was talking e.g. In Rugby you don't get rewarded for kicking someone in the head when someone else argued to put a comparison to another sport or such they were told they couldn't be compared all grand when it suited himself though.

Loads of people are aware of Joe's stance/handling of MMA as a topic and to appear to me as he more or less used his show as a platform to say I told you so when a young man has lost his life was shameful.

Loads of stuff left out no one told that man ammy boxing removed the head gear for males or any reference to the Nick Blackwell recent story it seemed;although towards the end I turned it off when it became a shouting match between 2 of the callers.

To be fair it wasnt a shouting match it was one opinionated arsehole with his mind made up who shouted over anyone that tried to refute his lies

Depp wrote: »
    To be fair it wasnt a shouting match it was one opinionated arsehole with his mind made up who shouted over anyone that tried to refute his lies

Sorry when it got to that though and it commenced my ears couldn't bear it they'd been filled with enough nonsense as it was.

Sorry when it got to that though and it commenced my ears couldn't bear it they'd been filled with enough nonsense as it was.

There was a fair amount of nonsense spouted thats for sure, amount of times he shouted 'to the point of death' was hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Paully D wrote: »
    Those girls (Magana, Herrig and Rawlings) were absolutely horrible and basically just bullies. I was delighted that Torres beat Rawlings and Magana in the end.

Agreed, pure cnuts the lot of them.
    Magana was in australia recently for Bec fight and her crap keeps popping up on my radar. Mosre interested in posting pics of her spotty ass on twitter than actually being an MMA fighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I asked in the other thread but I dont think it was answered, or I missed it(its difficult not to tell some fauxraged tw*t to fu*k off so I've tried to stay out of it)....but is this Joe Duffy the fighter yous are talking about? I've not seen news or anything all day

Devastator wrote: »
    I asked in the other thread but I dont think it was answered, or I missed it(its difficult not to tell some fauxraged tw*t to fu*k off so I've tried to stay out of it)....but is this Joe Duffy the fighter yous are talking about? I've not seen news or anything all day

No RTEs Talk to Joe (Liveline)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Most read article in Irish times online
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/johnny-watterson-popularity-of-mma-no-defence-for-legal-killing-1.2608124
    Have to say as a recent convert, ground and pound is kind of hard to defend , off the top of my head the Magny Lombard fight and Weidman rockhold were 2 fights where I was roaring at the TV for it to be stopped

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Most read article in Irish times online
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/johnny-watterson-popularity-of-mma-no-defence-for-legal-killing-1.2608124
    Have to say as a recent convert, ground and pound is kind of hard to defend , off the top of my head the Magny Lombard fight and Weidman rockhold were 2 fights where I was roaring at the TV for it to be stopped

they run up to the wire mesh and hold it with both hands? is this guy for real?

excuse my french but thats a ****ing terrible article, not well written and filled with lies, the worst part about all these morons is the effect seeing their ****e must have on charlie, the writer here all but called him a murderer in this which is a disgrace, some people have absolutely no respect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Why do people read MMA articles from people who don't even watch the sport? It will just wind ye up. I've a blanket ban on all articles from people who aren't fans of MMA. It works!

Davei141 wrote: »
    Why do people read MMA articles from people who don't even watch the sport? It will just wind ye up. I've a blanket ban on all articles from people who aren't fans of MMA. It works!

I try do this but some skip through the cracks like the one above which is a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

No RTEs Talk to Joe (Liveline)

Thanks man, I thought when people said his listeners,etc there was something weird. I don't know him and by sounds of it thats a good job. I don't watch much RTE.

In terms of these articles being wrote by imbeciles maybe its a better idea that we don't post a direct link? We could (partically) quote it and say what site its from instead(if ppl are that interested in the rest they can find it themselves) and that way they don't get actual fans clicking into their site. I think these sites base popularity or effectiveness on the amount of people that click into their pages so if we can avoid adding to that it may make a little difference?

Won't post the link but from an awful info article
    "To put it another way, it’s nothing more than brutal, vicious, sanctioned assault in front of a baying mob."
    Article accompanied by PIC of Luke rock hold mashing weidmans pulped face.

It will be amusing watching these journalists starch the sport now after being hyping up McGregor for the last 3 years they are making fortunes from clickbait derived from him and the sport for years now its time to turn on it,absolute muppets I wont be clicking into a single article on it these same morons love katie taylor (a boxer whose sport has 100 times more fatalties).

Tbh I would be worried momentum could build behind a ban.it was banned in German y and new York for quite a while right? Pretty sure I just heard some politician on newdtslk say he wouldn't be opposed to one

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Tbh I would be worried momentum could build behind a ban.it was banned in German y and new York for quite a while right? Pretty sure I just heard some politician on newdtslk say he wouldn't be opposed to one

New York was due to political and corruption reasons why it was banned,not sure about germany,

There is no chance of a ban,maybe some heavy regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Anytime there are serious injuries or deaths in combat sport, it gets the sort of knee jerk reaction and attention we're seeing now.

I'm no expert on MMA, but it seems to me from reading the news reports that there was plenty of medical personnel on site and every reasonable precaution was taken after the bout in question.

I see Michael Ring talking about regulation, and he also mentions he doesn't like doesn't like the sport at all. The cynic in me is saying that more regulation just means getting money off those involved with MMA in some shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Anyone have a fight club code for the Ottawa card? Would greatly appreciate if you could PM on..have ala membership myself but there's a good few of us planning on heading! Tickets are out this afternoon..

• Advertisement

Chuck & Forest coaching the new series of TUF Latin America. Will be way more interested in that than TUF 24.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement