Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

mdwexford wrote: »
    Lifetime bans would surely sort it out quick enough.

That's what should happen, no exceptions.
    It makes a very dangerous sport even more dangerous having guys on peds.

I agree with the principle but unfortunately I think it would be impossible to implement. It would take all promotions to get together in agreement which will not happen. Even atm a fighter could be banned in 1 US state but in therory fight in another or simply another country. For example, isn't Wanderlei currently banned in the US but he's fighting in a tag team mma event for Rizin then he's fighting for bellator later this year(that could be when his ban is finished)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Devastator wrote: »
    I agree with the principle but unfortunately I think it would be impossible to implement. It would take all promotions to get together in agreement which will not happen. Even atm a fighter could be banned in 1 US state but in therory fight in another or simply another country. For example, isn't Wanderlei currently banned in the US but he's fighting in a tag team mma event for Rizin then he's fighting for bellator later this year(that could be when his ban is finished)

Im fairly sure the rizin event is grappling only which i think is why it circumcedes the ban, think the planned bellator fight is for after his ban elapses

Depp wrote: »
    Im fairly sure the rizin event is grappling only which i think is why it circumcedes the ban, think the planned bellator fight is for after his ban elapses

Not sure, as soon as I read tag team I was laughing that much I couldn't read anymore :pac: same idea applies though, its still a MMA promotion. If they could implement a lifetime ban it should cover all combat sports or martial arts. I know some runners who were caught in the past looked into other sports but were pretty much shunned due to their reputation, unfortunately drug cheat's reputations don't seem to matter (at all)as much in MMA

Not sure, as soon as I read tag team I was laughing that much I couldn't read anymore :pac: same idea applies though, its still a MMA promotion. If they could implement a lifetime ban it should cover all combat sports or martial arts. I know some runners who were caught in the past looked into other sports but were pretty much shunned due to their reputation, unfortunately drug cheat's reputations don't seem to matter (at all)as much in MMA

it is a bit ridiculous I'll give you that but that seems to be what rizin are going for! probably should cross over to be fair a ban is a ban but because grappling is regulate differently the loophole is there and wanderlei would be mad not to take the chance at the money rizin are offering, plus the whole ban was an absolute cluster**** of incompetency and pig-headedness of the NSAC and should never have stood in the first place

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/3/8/11178304/wanderlei-silva-to-compete-under-mma-rules-for-rizin-ff-while-serving

My mistake it seems he'll be fighting full mma rules for them aswel although thats according to Sakakibara which should be taken with a grain of salt

• Advertisement

oh thats actually coming up in a few days then. Its a dangerous situation and could set a precedent especially if they do start handing out longer bans are a deterent. Maybe someones fallen out or isn't happy in their UFC contract, get busted to get a long ban & termination of their contract and off they skip to Rizin or someone else willing to overlook their ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Depp wrote: »
    it is a bit ridiculous I'll give you that but that seems to be what rizin are going for! probably should cross over to be fair a ban is a ban but because grappling is regulate differently the loophole is there and wanderlei would be mad not to take the chance at the money rizin are offering, plus the whole ban was an absolute cluster**** of incompetency and pig-headedness of the NSAC and should never have stood in the first place

It's not really anything to do with grappling being regulated differently. It's because it's in Japan. The NSAC have no power there and can't stop him doing whatever he likes. He could have a full blow MMA fight if he wanted to, would ruin his chances of ever getting licensed in the US, which he might not ever get anyway.

ASOT wrote: »
    Why cant they just come out and admit they got caught, he's playing the dumb dumb card.it's always somebody else's fault, tainted supps, unware it was banned or some other poxy excuse. Just be a man and admit you were caught trying to get an advantage.

He wasn't caught as afaik, he admitted it on the pre-test form. It was DHEA, not an anabolic steroid.
    I'm not sure if they tested him anyway, but I'd be interested to know what they turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mellor wrote: »
    He wasn't caught as afaik, he admitted it on the pre-test form. It was DHEA, not an anabolic steroid.
    I'm not sure if they tested him anyway, but I'd be interested to know what they turn up.

It was sort of just of a general rant, its always someone else's fault when they get popped for something its never there own fault.

True, this case he said it was in a supplement he was taking, and it was only recently banned in 2016...

...except it has been banned since 2012

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    It was sort of just of a general rant, its always someone else's fault when they get popped for something its never there own fault.

That seems to be a worldwide epidemic nowadays. Its rare to find someone taking responsibility I find more and more often for their own actions.

I know fighters are not scientists but if they are not sure what is in a supplement/drink/etc then they shouldn't take it(Romero's case maybe different if the supplement company are at fault).

Romero's case maybe different if the supplement company are at fault.

tumblr_l8nvh8vIWZ1qzmowao1_1280.jpg

hmmmmmmmmmmm :confused:

I had just read/heard that he had been banned for 6 months but the supplement company said they labelled the supplements incorrectly.

Mark Hunt has signed a new 6 fight contract

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Kennedy said hell step in and fight Dan this weekend or at the next 4 events if Dan still wants a fight.

I had just read/heard that he had been banned for 6 months but the supplement company said they labelled the supplements incorrectly.
    I thought that he claimed that it was a banned supplement. And his manager said his supp was tested and shown to have been "tainted". But he could easily have mixed his stash into a pre-worked he had.

I just checked there though, and turns out that USADA tested the same supp from a different location, and got the same result.
    At USADA’s request, the WADA-accredited laboratory in Salt Lake City, Utah, independently obtained and analyzed the contents of an unopened container of the supplement in question. That testing conclusively confirmed that a supplement Romero used was contaminated

Didn't realise he was confirmed telling the truth.

Mellor wrote: »

Didn't realise he was confirmed telling the truth.

Happy now then Joker? :pac:

I thought I had heard something like that, which is why I said "if the company are at fault" but I have a tendancy that once someone is banned not to pay much attention to them until they're back.

Its weird that he's still be banned even though it seems it wasn't his fault.

I just never believed him I think.

I think the USADA logic is that he still broke the rules, regardless of how it got into his system. But 6 months is barely a ban when backdated. The time between his previous fights was 6 months, 9 months, 5 months.

12th Nov for the 1st UFC event in NYC at Madison Square Garden!

CgAsLQkUIAAOl8F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

12th Nov for the 1st UFC event in NYC at Madison Square Garden!

Perfect timing for Conor after UFC 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Paully D wrote: »

Conor vs Frankie would be so class at that. Hopefully Francis gets the job done against Hosay. Jones vs DC, Ronda vs Holly and you got the most epic card of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

Paully D wrote: »

Dream Card:

McGregor vs Edgar
    Jones vs Cormier 2
    Weidman vs Rockhold 3
    GSP vs Lawlor
    Werdum vs JDS 2

:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

lougal88 wrote: »
    Dream Card:

McGregor vs Edgar
    Jones vs Cormier 2
    Weidman vs Rockhold 3
    GSP vs Lawlor
    Werdum vs JDS 2

Keep dreaming :pac:

Most likely have sage northcutt,denis siver and an interim title in some division no one cares about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

lougal88 wrote: »
    Dream Card:

McGregor vs Edgar
    Jones vs Cormier 2
    Weidman vs Rockhold 3
    GSP vs Lawlor
    Werdum vs JDS 2

It'll stay a dream too. Most of those guys would look for PPV cuts, so the UFC wouldn't make a penny from that card it they let it happen.

Interesting episode of the MMA Beat today, especially from 8:00 onwards, talking about the Machida 2 year suspension and the ramifications of USADA and WADA testing. The creatine bit is hilarious too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Hopefully Francis gets the job done against Hosay.

Not to be pedantic, but Aldo isn't spanish. They pronounce the "J"'s in Portuguese....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Is it too late to do a Mike Jackson pun?

I'm gonna do one anyway...

How can Dana look at the man in the mirror after cutting that poor lad.

Sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Guida v Ortega is matched up for 199 I think,looking forward to Clay trying to hump him and getting triangled.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Creatine is a funny one as in many ways it's a legal high.

There is a specific way you have to take, cycle, it and from people I know who have taken it correctly they do feel a big boost in their performances but when they stop taking it they lose that boost.

Also as far as I know if you've good kidneys it's not a problem but if you have a kidney problem, which you may not know about, it can make that problem worse.
    Creatine is a popular supplement used by athletes in an effort to increase muscle performance. The purpose of this review was to assess the literature evaluating the effects of creatine supplementation on renal function. A PubMed search was conducted to identify relevant articles using the keywords, creatine, supplementation, supplements, renal dysfunction, ergogenic aid and renal function. Twelve pertinent articles and case reports were identified. According to the existing literature, creatine supplementation appears safe when used by healthy adults at the recommended loading (20 gm/day for five days) and maintenance doses (</=3 gm/day). In people with a history of renal disease or those taking nephrotoxic medications, creatine may be associated with an increased risk of renal dysfunction. One case report of acute renal failure was reported in a 20-year-old man taking 20 gm/day of creatine for a period of four weeks. There are few trials investigating the long-term use of creatine supplementation in doses exceeding 10 gm/day. Furthermore, the safety of creatine in children and adolescents has not been established. Since creatine supplementation may increase creatinine levels, it may act as a false indicator of renal dysfunction. Future studies should include renal function markers other than serum creatinine and creatinine clearance.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15273072

On the caffeine, i don't know if they were talking about banning it outright or about having a specific level but in rugby in ireland we'd a guy who took too much caffeine and had to go to hospital for a few days, Declan Fitzpatrick of Ulster, through taking too much caffeine. It's not a cup of coffee but caffeine and sugar gels and some guys might take a few of them through a game.

Stephen Hunt had a funny story too about a doctor not wanting him to play a game as his heart was beating so fast but Hunt was saying that's normal as he has a few cups of coffee and then a caffeine gel, or two, before a game.

To me that's performance enhancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Not to be pedantic, but Aldo isn't spanish. They pronounce the "J"'s in Portuguese....

And I'm sure Frankie doesn't refer to himself as Francis, I wasn't being serious.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Creatine is a funny one as in many ways it's a legal high.

There is a specific way you have to take, cycle, it and from people I know who have taken it correctly they do feel a big boost in their performances but when they stop taking it they lose that boost.

Also as far as I know if you've good kidneys it's not a problem but if you have a kidney problem, which you may not know about, it can make that problem worse.

On the caffeine, i don't know if they were talking about banning it outright or about having a specific level but in rugby in ireland we'd a guy who took too much caffeine and had to go to hospital for a few days, Declan Fitzpatrick of Ulster, through taking too much caffeine. It's not a cup of coffee but caffeine and sugar gels and some guys might take a few of them through a game.

Stephen Hunt had a funny story too about a doctor not wanting him to play a game as his heart was beating so fast but Hunt was saying that's normal as he has a few cups of coffee and then a caffeine gel, or two, before a game.

To me that's performance enhancing.

Caffeine is much more of a PED than many of the substances on that ridiculous WADA list (not that I think it should be a banned substance, it's benefits still aren't enough to be considered a PED, but other things on that list are even less of an issue). That list outlaws the most mundane, everyday things from what I understand, and it means professional athletes have a slightly lower quality of life because of it. There's feckin multivitamins on that list, that's not performance enhancing, it's just a good lifestyle choice. As was said in the video above, Machida taking that supplement was not going to help him beat Dan Henderson, simple as.

One thing's for certain, USADA aren't without their flaws, and gaping ones at that. I support the rigorous testing but they really need to limit their criteria of what determines a "performance-enhancing drug".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement