Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The guy just loves to fight and it's in his blood/DNA (see Couture, Hendo etc.)

I wouldn't have any gripes with him wanting to fight as long as it's not going against orders from a medical team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Its only to keep him from going to bellator,doesnt mean he has to fight 6 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gamebred wrote: »
    Its only to keep him from going to bellator,doesnt mean he has to fight 6 times.

They'll stick him on one australian card a year for the nest few years. Maybe once or twice in Japan/NZ.

Toss in a potential title shot in the middle and that's a wrap

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Rumours off UFC fight night in Belfast the week before Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Rumours off UFC fight night in Belfast the week before Christmas

Rumours from where? If its from the boy who works in the spar in royal avenue he's a lying bastard :pac::pac:

http://www.punditarena.com/mmaufc/sraftery/dana-white-expects-robbie-lawler-fight-ufc-201-202-names-likely-opponent/

Lawler expected to be held back until UFC 201 or 202 with Woodley his expected opponent. I don't think Woodley should be next in line, IMO his UFC record isn't too impressive. He's fought 2 higher/top level fighters(MacDonald & Conduit) and only beat Conduit after what I'd call an accident by landing on his knee. His other wins were against aging Heron & Koscheck or missed weight Gastalum. I don't know whether Conduit wants to fight again. I heard Jackson on a pod recently and he said CC had been in the gym a few times but not really training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Devastator wrote: »
    Rumours from where? If its from the boy who works in the spar in royal avenue he's a lying bastard :pac::pac:

http://www.punditarena.com/mmaufc/sraftery/dana-white-expects-robbie-lawler-fight-ufc-201-202-names-likely-opponent/

Lawler expected to be held back until UFC 201 or 202 with Woodley his expected opponent. I don't think Woodley should be next in line, IMO his UFC record isn't too impressive. He's fought 2 higher/top level fighters(MacDonald & Conduit) and only beat Conduit after what I'd call an accident by landing on his knee. His other wins were against aging Heron & Koscheck or missed weight Gastalum. I don't know whether Conduit wants to fight again. I heard Jackson on a pod recently and he said CC had been in the gym a few times but not really training.

Jim Edwards on Twitter

Jim Edwards on Twitter

Hopefully he's right! What is it, 9 or 10 years since the 1 and only UFC came here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Heard a promo for Joe Brolly's article on MMA in tomorrow's paper,, general gist is paying to watch a man being murdered in a cage.

Can't stand Brolly absolute attention seeker

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

JJayoo wrote: »
    Heard a promo for Joe Brolly's article on MMA in tomorrow's paper,, general gist is paying to watch a man being murdered in a cage.

Can't stand Brolly absolute attention seeker

It's very, very annoying and hard to avoid, but people really are better off not giving those **** the attention they crave.

The "I don't like it so it should be banned" crowd are cúnts of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Thinking of biting the bullet and getting Fight Pass once I get my wages tomorrow, what's the verdict on this lads? Do those of you that have it find its used for a lot for things other than the prelims?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Thinking of biting the bullet and getting Fight Pass once I get my wages tomorrow, what's the verdict on this lads? Do those of you that have it find its used for a lot for things other than the prelims?

Its by far the best thing I spend my money on, there's always something to watch and you get every card bar the numbered events which is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It is brilliant value for money. Since they got Eric Winter on board, it's become a really excellent service. The quality of Fight Pass prelims has gotten a hell of a lot better. Rather than sticking tons of repeated ads throughout the FP portion of the card, they've done backstage interviews etc.

I know it doesn't seem like much but they're really putting a lot of care into the product.

They've also got tons of smaller events that stream live. Glory Kickboxing was on earlier. They also show Victory FC, Brace, Pancrase and Cage Warriors now I believe.

That's not even mentioning the fight library on offer.

I think it's an absolute must for fight fans. Absolutely brilliant for research too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I've spent the last three hours watching loads of old fights. It's fantastic value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Perfect, I would've got it anyway since 5.99 a month for a year isn't crazy money but glad to hear it's worth the money! Yeah I'm fairly bored during the week with nothing to watch, definitely going to check out the smaller scale events. Cheers lads! :D

I think if you're relatively new to the sport, it's an absolutely perfect way to watch older fights you'll have missed from years gone by.

They're doing an overhaul on the layout of the site and their customer service (anytime I've had to use it anyway) has been excellent.

JJayoo wrote: »

Joe Brolly is about as qualified to write an MMA article as I am in writing a thesis on rocket science.

It's a joke how people are falling over each other to condemn the sport when an awful tragedy like this happens.

Tarring its fans, fighters etc under the one brush. Some of the most uneducated articles getting published in favour of a few hits. It's sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

The only problem with fightpass is the random lag where it won't buffer at all. (When watching events from the fight library, e.g. Pride)

Does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Brandao going full Brandao
    UFC featherweight Diego Brandao was arrested on Friday night in Albuquerque, N.M., after allegedly hitting a strip club employee with a gun.

According to a report from the Albuquerque Journal, Brandao argued with a DJ at Knockouts, which is located in downtown Albuquerque, before leaving the club. After he was denied re-entry, Brandao “attempted to force his way in throwing punches,” police said.

Brandao then left again before allegedly returning with a gun. The fighter then pointed the gun at three men standing outside the club, one of which was a Knockouts employee. Brandao then reportedly struck the employee with the butt of the gun, pointed the weapon at the group and returned to his vehicle.

According to Bernalillo Country Metropolitan Detention Center online records, Brandao was charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, aggravated assault and willful assault with a deadly weapon.

Brandao, who trains at Jackson-Wink MMA, last competed at UFC 195 in Las Vegas on Jan. 2, when he was submitted in the third round by Brian Ortega. He tested positive for marijuana metabolites during an in-competition drug test prior to that defeat; in competition in Nevada is defined as 12 hours before and after a fight. He received a temporary suspension and is supposed to appear before the Nevada Athletic Commission for further discipline at a future hearing.

Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Report-Diego-Brandao-Arrested-After-Allegedly-Hitting-Strip-Club-Employee-with-Gun-103447#jOJe4IEdF5kGfHhe.99

I hope he enjoys prison anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

very dissapointing more than likely his ufc career gone, bags of talent if only he wasnt such a goon

• Advertisement

Fedor is fighting Maldonado in Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wonder will GSP make an announcement...

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/721789603531878401

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

That_Guy wrote: »
    Joe Brolly is about as qualified to write an MMA article as I am in writing a thesis on rocket science.

It's a joke how people are falling over each other to condemn the sport when an awful tragedy like this happens.

Tarring its fans, fighters etc under the one brush. Some of the most uneducated articles getting published in favour of a few hits. It's sickening.

I work in a shop so scanned through particular paper in question expected hypocritical nonsense kind of "went to a fight and game of GAA broke out" stuff and tbf Brolly piece as a scanner more or less appeared to be an assessment of his disillusionment of boxing and discusses some of the tragic the reasons why he holds that opinion, only thing he says at end which he calls for end to such sport. Article across from his on same topic on other hand was the kind of tripe ya would expect.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Wonder will GSP make an announcement...

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/721789603531878401

Not an announcement but a strong hint?

https://twitter.com/MikeyJ_MMA/status/722135016084475905

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It's no secret that they have been negotiating for some time but they fact that GSP is now talking about UFC 205 instead of 200 makes me think that there is still some distance to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Lukker- wrote: »
    It's no secret that they have been negotiating for some time but they fact that GSP is now talking about UFC 205 instead of 200 makes me think that there is still some distance to go.

He did say he has a little injury, and has a new show coming out. It's a matter of when at this stage

Lukker- wrote: »

GSP himself never spoke about 200. It was always other speculating that he could fight at it, like the speculation(from Nate?) that McGregor was supposed to call him out after 196. The very fact that GSP himself has spoken about not just the possibility of a comeback but a specific event is huge.

He's on a dinosaur contract from well before reebok deal started so I would tihnk thats the major stumbling block at present. I've no doubt if he is serious about coming back then they'll sort out the contract situation. I'd imagine with the number of years that have passed since he actually signed the current contract(its about 3 years since his last fight) then an increase in his basic could cover a good part of what his external sponsorship would be worth,plus he's had loads of UFC fights so he would be on an upper tier for reebok money. Reebok would be nuts not to try and sign him up exclusively with the following he still has in Canada

Never taught I would post a Balls article but this is ridiculously accurate.

http://www.balls.ie/mma/5-clear-signs-that-prove-you-shouldnt-have-an-opinion-on-mma/331031

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Does anyone have any good suggestions for picking up decent priced rash guards anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

ASOT wrote: »
    Never taught I would post a Balls article but this is ridiculously accurate.

http://www.balls.ie/mma/5-clear-signs-that-prove-you-shouldnt-have-an-opinion-on-mma/331031

I enjoy Balls.ie coverage on MMA. It's much better then Joe.ie sensationalizing everything and posting the same article 4 times a day. They're pretty quick with breaking news and that and usually have a few good opinion pieces a week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement