Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Anyone else get a text yesterday encouraging support for Michael Lowry?

Where is he getting my number from? OH got the same text.

Probably from Denis O'Brien (from his Esat Telecom days!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Probably from Denis O'Brien (from his Esat Telecom days!)

That thought crossed my mind!

It read:
    "LOWRY Has Delivered Can Deliver Will Deliver For the people of TIPPERARY. Please VOTE No. 1 LOWRY this Friday. Unsubscribe: Reply with STOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

A bit of history here in relation to Fine Gael and Tipperary.

Mulcahy initially had the inside track to becoming Taoiseach in such a government. However, he was not acceptable to Clann na Poblachta's leader, Seán MacBride. Many Irish Republicans had never forgiven him for his role in the Civil War executions carried out under the Cosgrave government. Without Clann na Poblachta, the other parties would have had 57 seats between them – 17 seats short of a majority in the 147 seat Dáil. According to Mulcahy, it was Labour leader William Norton who suggested another person as Taoiseach. Mulcahy stepped aside and encouraged his party colleague Attorney General John A. Costello to take the post of Taoiseach. From then on, Costello served as parliamentary leader of Fine Gael while Mulcahy remained nominal leader of the party.

Mulcahy went on to serve as Minister for Education from 1948 until 1951. Another coalition government came to power at the 1954 election, with Mulcahy once again stepping aside to become Minister for Education in the Second Inter-Party Government. The government fell in 1957, but Mulcahy remained as Fine Gael leader until October 1959. In October 1960 he told his Tipperary constituents that he did not intend to contest the next election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Mulcahy

Risteard Mulcahy, the internationally renowned cardiologist and health campaigner, has candidly spoken of the breakdown of his marriage, which saw him eventually walk out on his wife and six children.

In his recently published book, Memoirs of a Medical Maverick, Mulcahy, 88, son of General Richard Mulcahy, a former leader of Fine Gael, also writes of how he at one time became involved with a woman who herself ended the relationship when she fell in love with an athlete -- another woman.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/cardiologist-mulcahy-tells-of-his-heartbreak-in-moving-memoir-26678205.html

Mulcahy Park and Mulcahy House in Clonmel are named after the Mulcahy Family.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Just voted in Peter and Pauls school Clonmel really don't like the new booths they have. Felt like I had no privacy

F34 wrote: »
    Just voted in Peter and Pauls school Clonmel really don't like the new booths they have. Felt like I had no privacy

I thought it was just me! The ledge was also on the small side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

Mattie McGrath has posted photos of himself voting in the booth today. Wonder will he be fined for that?

touts wrote: »
    Mattie McGrath has posted photos of himself voting in the booth today. Wonder will he be fined for that?

Maybe the law needs to be amended so that notices must be displayed " No Phones , No cameras" except for journalists and photoraphers who are not voting in this booth.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭EternalHope

Xenophile wrote: »
    Maybe the law needs to be amended so that notices must be displayed " No Phones , No cameras" except for journalists and photoraphers who are not voting in this booth.
    why are journalists allowed to take photos in the voting centre- not the booth- when others are not? Journalists are not any way special under the law

On the lighter side perhaps! :)

When I was a child , not so many years ago mind, it was said that the man of the house answered the door to canvassers and before the canvasser got a chance to open his mouth the householder would say " Thanks for calling, I've got four number Ones for you here!.

Now with so many young people not being able to afford their own accommodation, I think we should go back to that system for a bit of stability :D .

We might be facing into a series of General Elections, as there probably is no democracy in the world where the left is more divided and on the right, still the only thing that divides them is the civil war ! Other than that we have a lot of ego driven people who have only come to prominence as a result of the downturn. These people will not give us stability !

More about this later, I almost feel certain !

why are journalists allowed to take photos in the voting centre- not the booth- when others are not? Journalists are not any way special under the law

It has been a long standing tradition to photograph the President and the Party Leaders casting their votes. Maybe it is a good thing as it may well encourage others to go out and vote after seeing the above on tele casting their votes.

• Advertisement

It has been a long standing tradition to photograph the President and the Party Leaders casting their votes. Maybe it is a good thing as it may well encourage others to go out and vote after seeing the above on tele casting their votes.
    traditions are not law

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ch20

I was voting this evening at my local polling station around half 5 .I was walking into the room to go vote and I saw Alan Kelly was walking around in the polling station. surely this is illegal?

traditions are not law

Obviously they are not breaking the law!

Obviously they are not breaking the law!
    my understanding is cameras are not allowed in the polling station by law. so if journalist take photos in there they must be breaking the law. journalists are not any way special in law and have no rights a non journalist has

ch20 wrote: »
    I was voting this evening at my local polling station around half 5 .I was walking into the room to go vote and I saw Alan Kelly was walking around in the polling station. surely this is illegal?
    you should have asked him. i do not know the law about politicians being n the polling station, maybe he was voting

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ch20

you should have asked him. i do not know the law about politicians being n the polling station, maybe he was voting

I was shocked he was walking around.It wasn't his local polling station as it was near the Tipperary Limerick border. Edit :Should took a photo of him

my understanding is cameras are not allowed in the polling station by law. so if journalist take photos in there they must be breaking the law. journalists are not any way special in law and have no rights a non journalist has

An organise photocall is a lot different from someone walking in and willynilly taking photos of all and sundry. Our President and Party leaders are traditionally photographed casting their votes. Journalists acting in an official capacity can have access to areas the common person doesn't.

I was shocked he was walking around.It wasn't his local polling station as it was near the Tipperary Limerick border. Edit :Should took a photo of him
    what is the law no one in except returning officer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

lowry
    hayes
    cahill
    healy

and the last seat will be a dog fight between mattie,kelly.coonan and smith transfers will be cruical if mattie is eliminated you would imagine smith should do well with his fianna fail backround

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

On the lighter side perhaps! :)

When I was a child , not so many years ago mind, it was said that the man of the house answered the door to canvassers and before the canvasser got a chance to open his mouth the householder would say " Thanks for calling, I've got four number Ones for you here!.

Now with so many young people not being able to afford their own accommodation, I think we should go back to that system for a bit of stability :D .

We might be facing into a series of General Elections, as there probably is no democracy in the world where the left is more divided and on the right, still the only thing that divides them is the civil war ! Other than that we have a lot of ego driven people who have only come to prominence as a result of the downturn. These people will not give us stability !

More about this later, I almost feel certain !
    Wasn't there a big row in Limerick at the last council elections I think where someone asked the wife "was the man of the house around".

• Advertisement

I would not jump to conclusions, Firstly the Minister of the Environment has ultimate responsibility for every polling station. If someone has a complaint about his behaviour they should make it. Keeping in mind that the polling clerks are employed by his Dept. In my opinion any complaint should first be made to supervisor and he or she should in turn forward it to the constituency returning officer.

To answer your question, no it is not illegal for the Minister to check out any or every polling station !

I would not jump to conclusions, Firstly the Minister of the Environment has ultimate responsibility for every polling station. If someone has a complaint about his behaviour they should make it. Keeping in mind that the polling clerks are employed by his Dept. In my opinion any complaint should first be made to supervisor and he or she should in turn forward it to the constituency returning officer.

To answer your question, no it is not illegal for the Minister to check out any or every polling station !

If he wanted to inspect polling booths he could have picked any one of thousands of others in 39 constituencies. He is clearly abusing his position to canvass in the polling booths of his constituency. When the other parties hear this Kelly better lawyer up.

If he wanted to inspect polling booths he could have picked any one of thousands of others in 39 constituencies. He is clearly abusing his position to canvass in the polling booths of his constituency. When the other parties hear this Kelly better lawyer up.

Some people, in fact many people will use any excuse to have a go at Kelly. It's just a ball of smoke, any politician that wants to make an issue out of this will just look stupid. Heaven knows we have plenty of those around !

He must be feeling the pressure..Arrogance is no cure for neves....

And here are the results from the Tipperary Jury. Michael Dillon one vote.....

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

#GE16 Irish Times/Ipsos MRBI Exit Poll:
    FG 26%
    FF 23%
    Labour 8%
    SF 15%
    Ind/Others 28%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Not illegal. Candidates or people on behalf of candidates often visit poling booths during the day to find out how its progressing, the percentage of turnout, etc. They are not supposed to speak to voters or interfere with the booths themselves, can't touch electoral roles, etc, but can ask the presiding officer, at each table, about turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

A candidate or most likely an agent representing them can check turnout etc but as long as they don't interfere with process its fine.
    Theyre not though. You are not allowed by law to reveal by photo etc who you are voting for in the polling station but im fairly sure it doesn't state in the law you cant take photos in the polling station.

• Advertisement

He must be feeling the pressure..Arrogance is no cure for neves....

What did you want him to do ? Drive a few hundred kilometres away to inspect polling booths and be back in Thurles today for the count ?

Advertisement