Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

youd want to be some gombeen to vote for mattie going around in that van. he is like killnascully or ritchie kavanagh. no wonder ireland is in such a state when people like him are in the Dail
    Nope.Ireland is in the state it is in because we keep voting in corrupt and incompetent politicians who's only objective is the party over the people.

Einstein must have been thinking of politics in Ireland when he said the definition of Insanity "is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"

It like a perpetual 5 year Lanigans ball groundhog day.

I wish there was a Social Democrats candidate running in Tipp.

youd want to be some gombeen to vote for mattie going around in that van. he is like killnascully or ritchie kavanagh. no wonder ireland is in such a state when people like him are in the Dail

Or Michael Lowrey and his variety of old VW Beetles chugging aroung the county!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

tipptom wrote: »
    Insanity "is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"

We will be lucky if it is not every five months after the results of this election !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

The sooner this election is over the better.
    Fingers crossed we'll get a Fianna Fáil/ Fine Gael coalition. Fine Gael have been driving with the handbrake on for the last 5 years with labour.

It's only proper order that those who go out to work get to keep a little bit more of their own money without it being squandered into the black hole that social welfare and the hse have become.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

[/B] Nope.Ireland is in the state it is in because we keep voting in corrupt and incompetent politicians who's only objective is the party over the people.

Einstein must have been thinking of politics in Ireland when he said the definition of Insanity "is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"

I wish there was a Social Democrats candidate running in Tipp.
    I agree that would be great to have a Soc Dem candidate running but hopefully if they gain a few seats this time we may see one the next time..
    But irish politics is very much sorting out the local people over national issues which is very much the people over the party.....
    digzy wrote: »
    The sooner this election is over the better.
    Fingers crossed we'll get a Fianna Fáil/Fine Gael coalition. Fine Gael have been driving with the handbrake on for the last 5 years with labour.

It's only proper order that those who go out to work get to keep a little bit more of their own money without it being squandered into the black hole that social welfare and the hse have become.
    Why would a FF/FG coalition be so great?

• Advertisement

I agree that would be great to have a Soc Dem candidate running but hopefully if they gain a few seats this time we may see one the next time..
    But irish politics is very much sorting out the local people over national issues which is very much the people over the party.....

Why would a FF/FG coalition be so great?

I didn't say 'great'.
    Just look at their positions on various topics. Personally speaking the tax rates are a priority. I'd pay less tax with them in than the lefties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭EternalHope

[/B] Nope.Ireland is in the state it is in because we keep voting in corrupt and incompetent politicians who's only objective is the party over the people.
    and mattie is competent? he does not give that impression with his music road show

I didn't say 'great'.
    Just look at their positions on various topics. Personally speaking the tax rates are a priority. I'd pay less tax with them in than the lefties.
    I know you didn't but I don't see anything so much better coming from the 2 coming together and being in power. A left dominated government is a must and Ive seen nothing from FF to show that they deserve to be back in power since they left in 2011.

A left dominated government is a must .

Why?

Why?
    Because I don't see why we need yet another completely centric government and we need a distinctly left-wing party to achieve a balance between left wing populism and centrist mediocrity. Ireland will never vote in hard wing left/right parties but we need to go beyond the big parties who never stray far from the centre...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

Is it any worse to vote for a lad like Mattie who while he may be a bit of a gombeen glorified local councilor but seems smart enough or a lad like Smith who has feck all going on between his ears and is running purely on the basis of his father was a minister 20 years ago so the seat is his by right. Neither of them are getting my No.1 but I'll tell you if I needed help it's Mattie I'd prefer to have in my corner than Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

I had to look up what the whole "pizzagate" thing was about - must be some Craic in the daíl bar of an evening - Toss Hayes must have had a skinful that night with his four mates to dream up a prank like that. I think even a bunch of 16 year olds would be embarrassed if they were caught doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

touts wrote: »
    Is it any worse to vote for a lad like Mattie who while he may be a bit of a gombeen glorified local councilor but seems smart enough or a lad like Smith who has feck all going on between his ears and is running purely on the basis of his father was a minister 20 years ago so the seat is his by right. Neither of them are getting my No.1 but I'll tell you if I needed help it's Mattie I'd prefer to have in my corner than Smith.
    Do you know Ml Smith personally to make such a slur?
    I do very well.
    And what you said couldn't be further from the truth. He is a highly intelligent, motivated young man who has put in a huge amount of work in the past 12 years in his own right.
    He is rightly proud of his father but far from sees its his seat by right. Rather he would like to take his hard work to the Dail and represent Tipperary there.
    He is definitely getting my No. 1.

jem wrote: »
    Do you know Ml Smith personally to make such a slur?
    I do very well.
    And what you said couldn't be further from the truth. He is a highly intelligent, motivated young man who has put in a huge amount of work in the past 12 years in his own right.
    He is rightly proud of his father but far from sees its his seat by right. Rather he would like to take his hard work to the Dail and represent Tipperary there.
    He is definitely getting my No. 1.

I'm basing it on what I heard on the debates and his utter disaster on Vincent Brown when Vincent basically had to push him into saying something before the camera switched off. The lad is utterly unimpressive. Vote Young Smith is his slogan and most of the reasons I've seen to vote for him are things his daddy did 30 years ago. The era of family inheritance is long gone. Cahill, Hayes, Coonan, Ambrose, Healy, Morris, Mattie etc have all come across as much more impressive. I just don't think the lad is remotely at the standard we need in the dail. That's just my personal impression and talking to people I'm not alone in that view. I've yet to meet anyone who thinks he has anything going for him beyond being the sperm that won the race.

you are very wrong.
    on the vb show he was trying to get in a lot.
    He did very well in the Tipp FM debate and was excellent at the debate in Roscrea where lowry, kelly coonan the green and dillion were in attendance.
    he is a very intelligent hard working politician who has served extremely well for the past 12 years as a Councillor topping the poll the last two and the highest first preferences in all Tipperary.

you are very wrong.
    on the vb show he was trying to get in a lot.
    He did very well in the Tipp FM debate and was excellent at the debate in Roscrea where lowry, kelly coonan the green and dillion were in attendance.
    he is a very intelligent hard working politician who has served extremely well for the past 12 years as a Councillor topping the poll the last two and the highest first preferences in all Tipperary.

I wasnt at the VB debate I only got to see it on the TV but if you were there and say he was trying to get in I'll take your word for it. As to the radio debates he finished up one shouting something about "we're hurling fair" at another candidate and to be honest at that point he lost my vote. It was a real cringe gombeen moment.

Look I hope you are correct. If the newspapers are to be believed he looks like taking a seat so clearly lots of people think he is worth voting for. Its just Tipperary can't afford to send another lad to just make up the numbers. We need strong representatives and I don't see it in him or in many of the Candidates. In comparison when you look at the respective CVs I think Cahill has a proven record at a national level. I think Mattie for all his ills has fought for a lot of issues and people. I think Kelly is obnoxious but he is doing stuff. In comparison I DONT think Hayes, Coonan or Healy are really much good and we hear little from them until they need something from us (I.e votes). My impression of Smith is that he will fall firmly into the latter bunch picking up the cheque and doing little for it.

I wasnt at the VB debate I only got to see it on the TV but if you were there and say he was trying to get in I'll take your word for it.

I was and he was
    As to the radio debates he finished up one shouting something about "we're hurling fair" at another candidate and to be honest at that point he lost my vote. It was a real cringe gombeen moment.
    Dont agree and kelly turned the whole debate from before it went on air until after it went off air into a total farce. the ego had landed into the bus that day.
    Look I hope you are correct. If the newspapers are to be believed he looks like taking a seat so clearly lots of people think he is worth voting for. Its just Tipperary can't afford to send another lad to just make up the numbers. We need strong representatives and I don't see it in him or in many of the Candidates. In comparison when you look at the respective CVs I think Cahill has a proven record at a national level. I think Mattie for all his ills has fought for a lot of issues and people. I think Kelly is obnoxious but he is doing stuff. In comparison I DONT think Hayes, Coonan or Healy are really much good and we hear little from them until they need something from us (I.e votes). My impression of Smith is that he will fall firmly into the latter bunch picking up the cheque and doing little for it.

Far from it. he is exceptionally hard working. and works for all in his constituency. I personally called to a house last night which would always have been a very very strong FG house and the chap we met would have been a card carrying member of FG. He needed something looked at over 18 months ago, had asked Coonan a load of times and nothing done eventually went to Smith and was sorted immediately so now voting no 1 Smith .
    Look at the taste of Roscrea Christmas market. His brain child that has been on the past 3 years.
    This has helped businesses in Roscrea and has raised a huge amount for charity as well.
    One thing about smith he does the work as opposed to talking about it unlike many others.
    How many other County Councillors have had a staffed office open , paid from their own pocket for years.
    TD's do, very very rarely do Councillors. This has been an invaluable resource.

One other thing is that you don't get the vote that he got in the local elections that he did ( the highest in Tipperary) without being a hard worker.

I was and he was

Dont agree and kelly turned the whole debate from before it went on air until after it went off air into a total farce. the ego had landed into the bus that day.

Far from it. he is exceptionally hard working. and works for all in his constituency. I personally called to a house last night which would always have been a very very strong FG house and the chap we met would have been a card carrying member of FG. He needed something looked at over 18 months ago, had asked Coonan a load of times and nothing done eventually went to Smith and was sorted immediately so now voting no 1 Smith .
    Look at the taste of Roscrea Christmas market. His brain child that has been on the past 3 years.
    This has helped businesses in Roscrea and has raised a huge amount for charity as well.
    One thing about smith he does the work as opposed to talking about it unlike many others.
    How many other County Councillors have had a staffed office open , paid from their own pocket for years.
    TD's do, very very rarely do Councillors. This has been an invaluable resource.

One other thing is that you don't get the vote that he got in the local elections that he did ( the highest in Tipperary) without being a hard worker.

Ok. Well that's the way he came across to me and to many others. You as a close friend and member of his campaign team think he's great. We clearly won't agree. Good luck to him and to you on the day. If elected I hope he has good committed advisors around him like you.

i would not be going to either of them for help so i cannot say which wouldbe better. What could mattie do that smith can't. none of them can get you anything you are not entitled to

I personally called to a house last night which would always have been a very very strong FG house and the chap we met would have been a card carrying member of FG. He needed something looked at over 18 months ago, had asked Coonan a load of times and nothing done eventually went to Smith and was sorted immediately so now voting no 1 Smith .
    could he not have done it himself.

• Advertisement

The nationalist said mattie was FG

http://www.nationalist.ie/news/home/203011/APOLOGY-TO-MATTIE-McGRATH.html

Mattie smells a conspiracy says he is getting legal advice

Mattie smells a conspiracy says he is getting legal advice

If Mattie gets elected I wonder will he give a few quid to FG and to The Nationalist for the "fortunate" blunder.

If he is not elected it could have the makings of an interesting court case if The Nationalist does not settle with him in advance. Pity the poor person who made the typo error.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Someone must have put a euro each way on........

Seven Worlds will Collide

Someone must have put a euro each way on........

A good idea, my money is on ...............................!

Xenophile wrote: »

OK I'll admit I haven't a clue how odds etc work but how exactly is 6 candidates odds on to take a seat in a 5 seat constituency interesting. Throw in Healy at 6/5 and basically you have 7 candidates at pretty much evens or worse. If it was a horse race you'd tell Paddy Power to forget about it. The only one that looks in any way tempting is Ambrose at 25/1. I'd say she has as good a shot as Morris at 7/1 (especially with Cahill and Smith kicking the **** out of each other and dividing the FF vote in a fairly bloody FF Civil War in the North). But Ambrose & Morris are both outsiders so I wouldn't put money on either that I wasn't prepared to lose. How exactly do punters make money at those sorts of crazy odds? Do they do a multiplier on all 5 or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Xenophile wrote: »

Wonder where they pull these numbers from. Do we really see two new FF TDs in ahead of a sitting FG TD - especially with the Hayes and Lowery transfers to filter down? I don't

Wonder where they pull these numbers from. Do we really see two new FF TDs in ahead of a sitting FG TD - especially with the Hayes and Lowery transfers to filter down? I don't

Cahill & Smith's teams are supposed to have spent quite a bit in the bookies. Its a clever tactic in that it gets them in the headlines but in reality it is meaningless as there is no way the two of them are taking seats. One probably but not two.

OK I'll admit I haven't a clue how odds etc work but how exactly is 6 candidates odds on to take a seat in a 5 seat constituency interesting. Throw in Healy at 6/5 and basically you have 7 candidates at pretty much evens or worse. If it was a horse race you'd tell Paddy Power to forget about it. The only one that looks in any way tempting is Ambrose at 25/1. I'd say she has as good a shot as Morris at 7/1 (especially with Cahill and Smith kicking the **** out of each other and dividing the FF vote in a fairly bloody FF Civil War in the North). But Ambrose & Morris are both outsiders so I wouldn't put money on either that I wasn't prepared to lose. How exactly do punters make money at those sorts of crazy odds? Do they do a multiplier on all 5 or something?

It wouldn't be unusual for candidates to spend some of their campaign money betting on themselves in order to raise their profile. You will notice that the only bookies quoted are Paddy Powers, so they don't seem to be spreading the money around, as that wouldn't have the effect they want.

• Advertisement

Its a worry that Xenophile hasn't mentioned Alan in a while...:D...He is drifting a wee bit with Paddy,but he will probably be the leader when Joan becomes chairless....

Advertisement