Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭pad199207

-3.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

pad199207 wrote: »
    -3.1c

I think I need to move my thermometer, I read 0.3C in Naas.

Lucreto wrote: »

A lil bih ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I have -5! Though my thermometer is in a sheltered spot - white frost out - beautiful night (Sligo 70M asl)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

-1 in Belmullet on the midnight reports , i can now confirm it is indeed a cold night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just been out there, its cold clear and frosty in the NE, with the whole place lit up by the moon, and lads, nights like this doesn't get any better.

-6c in Kildare this morning. Coldest all season!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Enda?

Enda was right.. but then folk do not like to hear truth about themselves :rolleyes:

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Snowy Marches I remember before 2013 are:

- 2009 (8th it snowed here)

^ I think 2006 is the one you're referring to though. It snowed in some parts of Ireland from the 1st - 5th then it became unsettled with plenty of rainfall throughout the month. Overall, it was awfully dull, wet and cool.

Yep, 2006. I was getting getting a house in Glen ready for family and that was the date, March 1st, the tenancy started, Arrived in Glen just in time for Mass and they were very surprised to see me.....another winter there we had snow; must have been I think 2008 although I thought it was the following year, and the back road was blocked and the cliff road was so icy a car had crashed.

A nursery rhyme morning.. " On a cold and frosty morning.." and "The moon doth shine as bright a day.." Thought the sun was up earlier..,. Well, if it snows Friday and I cannot get down, will get a message to either of our TWO Healy Rae candidates and get a lift.. the vote is secret after !! ;) But it is so cold.. will be lovely later when the sun is on the windows. So much needed; am bleaching mould off the walls. Has been wet and cold all winter long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I don't know where people are now getting talk of Snow by Friday. A wintery shower may crop up here and there but we're not going to be snowed in.

Very much spring in the air this morning. Crisp frost and bright light. The sky is a baby blue and the birds are signing. I feel a long walk coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Finally had our first air frost of the winter here overnight with the temp just briefly dipping to 0.0C.

Trogdor wrote: »
    Finally had our first air frost of the winter here overnight with the temp just briefly dipping to 0.0C.

We've had 3 nights this week in the north east sub zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Overnight min was -5.3c (Amazingly! Kerry Airport recorded a similar temperture)
    Current temp 3.1c.

Most severe frost this winter! (And there's a week left?) At 8am everywhere was wonderfully white with a light field fog. Even now by 11:51 there's still some frost in sheltered areas of the garden, not often it stays this late.

Looks glorious out, the sun is blindingly bright. I want to go out and relax in the "heat" but then I check the temperature and realise it's just above 3c. I watched EI135 flying from Shannon to Boston this morning fly over the house, and was jealous of the views those passengers would be getting from their windows.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Lucreto wrote: »

I Know a website in Nass is using a Davis VantagePro 2 ( Would be a High End System ) and he recorded -3.8 this morning .

http://www.ospreyweather.com

Different areas will have different temps , for a example a member here in Tullow lives in a "frost hollow " I think it was called and always records much lower temps than folks nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I Know a website in Nass is using a Davis VantagePro 2 ( Would be a High End System ) and he recorded -3.8 this morning .

Different areas will have different temps , for a example a member here in Tullow lives in a "frost hollow " I think it was called and always records much lower temps than folks nearby

My brakes on the car froze solid this morning in Sallins anyway !

Reporting much the same from South Kerry 400 asl. Looked forward to sitting out in the sun with a cup of coffee but it was so cold out there. Ice still on the water buckets at noon. Still the dog wanted to play ball so that warmed me up.. Just baltic in glorious sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

My Station near Tullow recorded -5.6c this morning

I have a Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with FARS, and yes it is located in a small frost hollow outside Tullow, you can see the station on the webcam on the site http://www.carlowweather.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Villain wrote: »
    My Station near Tullow recorded -5.6c this morning

I have a Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with FARS, and yes it is located in a small frost hollow outside Tullow, you can see the station on the webcam on the site http://www.carlowweather.com

It was yourself I was thinking off , always great readings coming from your location ,

You own little piece of frosty heaven :)

7.1c here in the North East right now. Was at 8.4 earlier and overnight down to -3.5.

Bar now 1018.6

Nice heat in the sun and nice enough to sit in the garden for morning coffee at noon.

Looks like it will be dry, with frost at night, until midday Monday at least.

Hopefully the ground might start to dry.

• Advertisement

Current temp of 8.7c but It's really starting to cloud up here!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

So we have seen ___: this Winter...

Storm Desmond
    Storm Eva
    Storm Frank
    Storm Gertrude
    Storm Henry
    Storm Imogen

Only 6? I was expecting more..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Speak Now

sryanbruen wrote: »
    So we have seen ___: this Winter...

Storm Desmond
    Storm Eva
    Storm Frank
    Storm Gertrude
    Storm Henry
    Storm Imogen

Only 6? I was expecting more..

I'm guessing Abigail, Barney and Clodagh were Autumn (November) yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Speak Now wrote: »
    I'm guessing Abigail, Barney and Clodagh were Autumn (November) yeah?

yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Light rain again
    So we had ONE dry day
    One :(

km79 wrote: »
    Light rain again
    So we had ONE dry day
    One :(

Its February not June ffs!
    The next few days until at least Monday look good, the most you'll see is a light shower like your encountering now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Its February not June ffs!
    The next few days until at least Monday look good, the most you'll see is a light shower like your encountering now.

Don't know about the West, but in Dublin, February is the driest month of the year. The seas are at their coldest so there's isn't as much evaporation.

Our monsoon season also ends in February/March and kicks off again in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Reckon temp fell to about 0 degrees last night here on the Dublin coast. Lovely morning, however a brief rain/hail shower has just past through now.

511 wrote: »
    Don't know about the West, but in Dublin, February is the driest month of the year. The seas are at their coldest so there's isn't as much evaporation.

Our monsoon season also ends in February/March and kicks off again in June.

Correct (Wouldn't have thought it though), but very marginally. In Ireland we really get rain at any time of the year. There's no monsoon season as you suggest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin#Climate

The driest month, comparably in Shannon, Ireland is April
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon,_County_Clare#Climate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Correct (Wouldn't have thought it though), but very marginally. In Ireland we really get rain at any time of the year. There's no monsoon season as you suggest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin#Climate

The driest month, comparably in Shannon, Ireland is April
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon,_County_Clare#Climate

There is a monsoon of sorts. We don't get many storms between March and May, Spring tends to be our calmest time of the year. It's not your traditional monsoon as this article says:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsoon#Europe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement