Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you hate Irish?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Isn't your Grandad your heritage? If your great grandparents spoke English then wouldn't that make English your heritage?

Wouldn't work well in Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Isn't your Grandad your heritage? If your great grandparents spoke English then wouldn't that make English your heritage?

That line of logic will lead you to some dark dark places.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

psinno wrote: »
    That line of logic will lead you to some dark dark places.

Like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Like?

In theory , just hypothetically mind , you might consider Ireland an English speaking country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

I loved Irish. Found it easy to learn. Took it on for A - level. Subsequently forget most of it now. Loads of people hate it and there's the added dimension in the north where it is viewed as inherently political pursuit. So basically unionists hate it even though it's as much a part of their heritage as it is mine.

There are one or two free apps that are quite good for learning the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

You seem to be of the opinion that it's far more important to have everyone studying Irish all the way up to the Leaving Cert regardless of how much they use afterwards rather then to actually encourage any revival. Why is that?

I don't think it is mutually exclusive to want everyone to study Irish to LC AND use it afterwards in a revival. If people opt out of the language I can't see any base for a revival myself.

Labour manifesto published today also doesn't suggest removing mandatory LC Irish. There seems to be an endorsement of the Fianna Fail move by Mary Hanifan to increase Oral Irish Marks at Leaving Cert. So they want more Irish for all as well!

Labour Manifesto:

Any Government that Labour is part of will ensure that Irish has central
    part of the Irish Education system. We have introduced a new integrated
    languages curriculum for the youngest children in primary schools, so
    that children learn to speak English and Irish together. The new curriculum
    allows for two full years of immersion in Irish in Gaelscoileanna. The
    increased marks for oral Irish language at Leaving Cert level has increased
    the spoken use of the language, while also increasing to 42% the numbers
    taking the subject at higher level.
    We will continue the growth of Irish-medium education so that parents
    have greater access to schools that allow for education through Irish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Dughorm wrote: »
    I don't think it is mutually exclusive to want everyone to study Irish to LC AND use it afterwards in a revival. If people opt out of the language I can't see any base for a revival myself.

It is under the current system. The chances of a revival are slim to nil sadly. At least if it were optional, there'd have to be reasons for pupils to choose it.
    Labour manifesto published today also doesn't suggest removing mandatory LC Irish. There seems to be an endorsement of the Fianna Fail move by Mary Hanifan to increase Oral Irish Marks at Leaving Cert. So they want more Irish for all as well!

More Irish isn't the answer. Pupils already spend enormous amounts of time on it as it is. The system needs to be completely reworked at this stage.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They're not. That's my point. You can have optional Irish AND see a revival.

You seem to be in the same boat as FF: keep it compulsory and sit around and wait for everyone to suddenly start speaking Irish as a result of the extra two years in college!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

They're not. That's my point. You can have optional Irish AND see a revival. !

In the optional scenario, would the revival be among people who (i) didn't choose it (ii) did choose it (iii) both?

For those who don't choose to keep it on - how will they learn it? By themselves?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In the optional scenario, would the revival be among people who (i) didn't choose it (ii) did choose it (iii) both?

For those who don't choose to keep it on - how will they learn it? By themselves?

Why not both? People can do courses after school. The internet makes things like this a lot easier and will continue to do so. Duolingo is a great example.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

(ii) obviously. And (iv) adults.

They won't learn it obviously, they'll learn something else. They're certainly not learning it now, are they?

(ii) obviously. And (iv) adults.

They won't learn it obviously, they'll learn something else. They're certainly not learning it now, are they?

To me that would be a recipe for Irish to be even further marginalised.

To quote the Labour manifesto - How would "Any Government that Labour is part of will ensure that Irish has central part of the Irish Education system." if Irish was made a minority subject?

To me that would be a recipe for Irish to be even further marginalised.

No, because people who don;t want to learnt it in seconary school are not going to learn it in secondary school. They'll either learn it as adults, or not at all.
    To quote the Labour manifesto - How would "Any Government that Labour is part of will ensure that Irish has central part of the Irish Education system." if Irish was made a minority subject?

Again - there seems to be the attitude that the education is less important than the actual language.

No, because people who don;t want to learnt it in seconary school are not going to learn it in secondary school. They'll either learn it as adults, or not at all.

I still don't understand how one could make an informed choice when they aren't even given the opportunity to speak the language before the leaving cert?
    Again - there seems to be the attitude that the education is less important than the actual language.

? I think the actual language and education in it - how it is taught - are two sides of the one coin. They float or sink together.

I still don't understand how one could make an informed choice when they aren't even given the opportunity to speak the language before the leaving cert?

Eh? They'll have spent 10 years learning it by then! Stop making excuses!

? I think the actual language and education in it - how it is taught - are two sides of the one coin. They float or sink together.

No - every point made has been form the point of view of the lannguage. You've stated that your fear is the language being marginalised - so, by logical decudtion, you think you NEED the people studying to stop it from being so. THIS is why you are so adamant on compulsory Irish - what these students get out of it or don't get it out of it is irrelevant to you.

(And please don't insult me by telling me that get a sense of culture (not everyone needs or wants that - it;s for the individual to decide) or the ability to learn more lanaguges in the future (then why not Latin or French? Far more useful) - we've thrown those arguments out ages ago)

Eh? They'll have spent 10 years learning it by then! Stop making excuses!

And yet up to 10 years not speaking it? I recall our junior cert class not speaking one sentence of oral irish - our class was spent writing notes from the blackboard or doing the tape test.
    No - every point made has been form the point of view of the lannguage. You've stated that your fear is the language being marginalised - so, by logical decudtion, you think you NEED the people studying to stop it from being so. THIS is why you are so adamant on compulsory Irish - what these students get out of it or don't get it out of it is irrelevant to you.

I don't agree with this - I'm concerned that the current syllabus and teaching methods prevent students appreciating the language - so what they do or don't get from it is very important to me!
    (And please don't insult me by telling me that get a sense of culture (not everyone needs or wants that - it;s for the individual to decide) or the ability to learn more lanaguges in the future (then why not Latin or French? Far more useful) - we've thrown those arguments out ages ago)

The labour party manifesto says that they want to introduce a heritage and culture subject at junior cert. They don't say, but it will presumably be a mandatory subject at junior cycle like CSPE. Maybe everyone won't need or want that but maybe it's not always for the individual to decide?

IMO learning our national languages is culturally important, both of them. I don't think native Irish speakers should be exempt from learning English to leaving cert either.

And yet up to 10 years not speaking it? I recall our junior cert class not speaking one sentence of oral irish - our class was spent writing notes from the blackboard or doing the tape test.

I don't agree with this - I'm concerned that the current syllabus and teaching methods prevent students appreciating the language - so what they do or don't get from it is very important to me!

The labour party manifesto says that they want to introduce a heritage and culture subject at junior cert. They don't say, but it will presumably be a mandatory subject at junior cycle like CSPE. Maybe everyone won't need or want that but maybe it's not always for the individual to decide?

IMO learning our national languages is culturally important, both of them. I don't think native Irish speakers should be exempt from learning English to leaving cert either.
    Dughorm, you can change the curriculum all you want once it's optional. I and most people here won't care then.

Again, you're making excuses to promote compulsory Irish at the expense of the student you don't care about.

1 - not able to make an informed choice. If they have had 10 years of learning it and and zero years of speaking it, then TAKE THE HINT - they are not interested. It is unbelievably condescending say to someone, that after ten years of study, they have not done enough to make an informed choice.

2 - the syallabus. Bull****. In your last half dozen posts or so, you have made several references to political parties endorsing compulsory Irish or not endorsing optional Irish, almost to he point of gloating. You have made NOT ONE mention of a syllabus. This is of no interest to you. As long as people are forced to learn it, that's what matters to you.

3 - cultural importance. It is of cultural importance TO YOU and TO YOU PERSONALLY. Again, you have no concern what the student feels is important. You are only concerned about culture and the language, not the person learning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Changes I think should be made

- Two Irish subjects (divided topics)

- One for literature which is optional (since they want to keep the teaching of Irish literature)
    - One for oral and creative writing which is mandatory

Ok, let's have a look here...
    Again, you're making excuses to promote compulsory Irish at the expense of the student you don't care about.

Not correct - I do care, wouldn't be here otherwise.
    1 - not able to make an informed choice. If they have had 10 years of learning it and and zero years of speaking it, then TAKE THE HINT - they are not interested. It is unbelievably condescending say to someone, that after ten years of study, they have not done enough to make an informed choice.

Not correct - I had no opportunity to speak the language in junior cycle in the classroom where I was meant to be learning to speak the language.

Why do people give out "I spent 12 years learning Irish and can't *speak* a word of it"? Perhaps it's because they weren't given the opportunity in school.

Without ever being given an opportunity to speak the language i.e. learn it properly, how can one say whether they dislike or like learning the language?

Maybe they dislike writing down words from the board all year long without speaking a word?
    2 - the syallabus. Bull****. In your last half dozen posts or so, you have made several references to political parties endorsing compulsory Irish or not endorsing optional Irish, almost to he point of gloating. You have made NOT ONE mention of a syllabus. This is of no interest to you. As long as people are forced to learn it, that's what matters to you.

Not correct - it's the manifestos that didn't mention the syllabus. I think the syllabus should be improved. This wasn't mentioned in the manifestos.

Edit: Well the Fianna Fail manifesto mentions bringing in a new Irish subject. That would involve changing the syllabus I imagine.
    3 - cultural importance. It is of cultural importance TO YOU and TO YOU PERSONALLY. Again, you have no concern what the student feels is important. You are only concerned about culture and the language, not the person learning it.

Not correct - it is clear from the manifestos that there is political consensus that Irish is of cultural importance across the spectrum. Not to some posters on this thread but otherwise yes.

• Advertisement

Dughorm, you can change the curriculum all you want once it's optional. I and most people here won't care then.

By the looks of things it's not going to be optional any time soon, so because I care about the students I think the syllabus should be changed sooner rather than later.

Does it have to be the case that students are frustrated by a poorly thought out syllabus and poor teaching practices?

By the looks of things it's not going to be optional any time soon, so because I care about the students I think the syllabus should be changed sooner rather than later.

Does it have to be the case that students are frustrated by a poorly thought out syllabus and poor teaching practices?
    Pfft, I wouldn't worry yourself about FF's promises. We'll be implementing that idea with the basic income!

I don't care about the syllabus. Until Irish is made optional students like we will continue to drag heels and impeed any progress in teaching you hope to achieve. This will continue until you learn you can't force people to like a particular language.

Ok, let's have a look here...

Not correct - I do care, wouldn't be here otherwise.

I never said you didn't care, it was what you cared about I was questioning.
    Not correct - I had no opportunity to speak the language in junior cycle in the classroom where I was meant to be learning to speak the language.

Why do people give out "I spent 12 years learning Irish and can't *speak* a word of it"? Perhaps it's because they weren't given the opportunity in school.

Without ever being given an opportunity to speak the language i.e. learn it properly, how can one say whether they dislike or like learning the language?

Maybe they dislike writing down words from the board all year long without speaking a word?

Not correct - it's the manifestos that didn't mention the syllabus. I think the syllabus should be improved. This wasn't mentioned in the manifestos.

Edit: Well the Fianna Fail manifesto mentions bringing in a new Irish subject. That would involve changing the syllabus I imagine.

Not correct - it is clear from the manifestos that there is political consensus that Irish is of cultural importance across the spectrum. Not to some posters on this thread but otherwise yes.

1 - informed choice - notice the use of the words "maybe" and "perhaps" in your arguments here. You have nothing concrete. Just potential (and very unlikely) scenarios. You know perfectly well that ten years study is enough to form an opinion without the chance to speak it but are clutching desperately at straws. If the student WANTED to speak it, they would speak it. You cannot bear to listen to the student because you are terrified of what he student would say.

2 - syallabus. Again, you've made my point for me. You talk about manifestos, not syllabi. The fact that only one out of three actually mentioned them also further illustrates your motives. And even then, it was the political party, not you. You said nothing. Drop the charade.

3 - cultural importance. Again, manifestos. Stop hiding behind the manifestos. You've gone from what's important for the language to what's important in the manifesto. At no point have you considered what's important to the student. (And you'll notice I said what's important TO the student, not FOR the student)

Every post you write is manifesto this, language that, cultural the other. You hardly ever refer to students or what you think the student might think or want - because this is of no importance to you.

It's just pure selfishness.

I never said you didn't care, it was what you cared about I was questioning.

You hardly ever refer to students or what you think the student might think or want - because this is of no importance to you.

It's just pure selfishness.

Nah, I don't think this represents what I have been saying over the last 100 pages of this thread and the 100 pages on the other thread.

This thread is "why do you hate Irish" -and it is clear that many here do not "hate" Irish, what they hate is the way it is taught.

All my suggestions in this and the other thread about improving the way it is taught gives an opportunity for students to opt in, not opt out because of poor teaching.

That is addressing the real concern by students, past and present, raised in this thread without encouraging an "opt-out" culture in our school system.
    You have nothing concrete. Just potential (and very unlikely) scenarios.

If the student WANTED to speak it, they would speak it

How can my own experience be not concrete?

Why do so many here say their teaching was poor? Why do people say "I spent 12 years learning it and can't speak a word?"

Maybe because they WANTED to speak it but felt they COULDN'T?

Nah, I don't think this represents what I have been saying over the last 100 pages of this thread and the 100 pages on the other thread.

This thread is "why do you hate Irish" -and it is clear that many here do not "hate" Irish, what they hate is the way it is taught.

All my suggestions in this and the other thread about improving the way it is taught gives an opportunity for students to opt in, not opt out because of poor teaching.

That is addressing the real concern by students, past and present, raised in this thread without encouraging an "opt-out" culture in our school system.

To the best of my knowledge, you have not once spoken of understanding student concerns or accepting student opinon. It is their education more than it is yours. Even when I pulled you up on it earlier, your default reaction was "manifesto" not "student". This tells me everything I need to know.
    How can my own experience be not concrete?

Why do so many here say their teaching was poor? Why do people say "I spent 12 years learning it and can't speak a word?"

Maybe because they WANTED to speak it but felt they COULDN'T?

... amd maybe they just want to learn something else?

I never said you experience was concrete, but at the end of the day it is just that - your own experience. I've had great experiences with drugs, but would I force everyone else to take them? No - of course not.

The idea that "teaching is poor" really is not the basis on which to make an argument for forcing them to do another two years of it...!

I set out to prove (and have proven) that you feel the need to force these students to study the language in order to prevent it being marginalised, regardless of what they want to learn. Everything you have presented since then has been confirmation bias; and that you have not considered (and are not prepared to consider) what the students actually want to learn.

So no. You have not considered that the student may want to learn something else. Again - because the student's wishes are not your concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

We need more Irish taught at school not less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

3 - cultural importance. It is of cultural importance TO YOU and TO YOU PERSONALLY..

And to me.

Fine - as long as it's only taught to those who want it.
    And to me.

Fine - as long as it's kept personal.

It's like the religion/penis analogy: there's nothing wrong with having it or being proud of it, but that doesn't mean you can force it upon everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Again the only thing that makes me hate Irish is the way they put so much of the marks on grammar and the teaching of literature!

It's annoying me how many comments this thread is getting regarding the teaching of Irish. We all know there should be:

- More oral / talking / conversational Irish
    - Less grammar
    - Less literature

Like even though most of the marks on some questions go for accurate grammar, I don't even learn much grammar in school, I have to teach myself it using grammar books such as Graiméar an Draoi. It is very annoying how I'm not being taught properly! Luckily also, I ask on the Irish forum of certain grammar points where I'm struggling such as what's the difference between Dá and Má. An File is very helpful he makes my learning of Irish so much easier!

• Advertisement

You think the current syllabus is fit for purpose then? Even though it's already a core subject of the Leaving Cert.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement